Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Game of Thrones (no spoilers)

Yes I heard of all the dragon mumbo jumbo and saw the eggs. I never thought for a second, they were going to be actual drsgons that came from the eggs. I thought it was more of a prop, I didn't think they would hatch dragons! The witch lady even said she gave birth to a baby that looked like a dragon... really?

Seriously dude, chill. It's a FANTASY show. That's a Genre and all of these events are normal within the FANTASY Genre. If you really have a problem with it you should just stop watching. Seems like you'll just be disappointed season after season.

:thumbsup:

A Song of ICE and FIRE.

it's been TELEGRAPHED for a while now.

There have been TONS of subtle things in this show that really help to make it enjoyable (last night, the old Grand Master who's perfectly fit/healthy but stoops/slows the minute he's going into public).

But the whole Fire/Ice thing hasn't been subtle, it's never been a question of *if* - only *when*. Thge Wildlings even talked about Giants - there will eventually be Giants, almost guaranteed.

Will Ned Stark turn Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Stark family crypts? What was the point of the Stark Boys' shared dream/vision?

Also noteworthy, Jaimie Lannister will easliy/casually admit to pushing a 10 year old boy out a tower window, but won't say why (i.e. b/c he was focking his sister). Good for the show for admitting how wrong that is.

I'm allowed to be UPSET! :mad:

Will Ned Stark turn Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Stark family crypts? What was the point of the Stark Boys' shared dream/vision?

That would be something... both kids have seen their father down there.. hmmmmmmm

Seriously dude, chill. It's a FANTASY show. That's a Genre and all of these events are normal within the FANTASY Genre. If you really have a problem with it you should just stop watching. Seems like you'll just be disappointed season after season.

While I agree with this partially, and not wanting to spoil anything, I'll tell you ed; this doesn't suddenly become a story about Dragons and White Walkers, it continues to be a story primarily about people, politics, alliances, back-room deal-making, back-stabbing, revenge, etc. And the great characters continue to be what drives the story.

Through four books, if I have one b!tch, it wouldn't be that the story becomes too consumed with fantasy elements (it doesn't), it would be that it introduces almost more human characters and storylines than you can keep up with.

I could be wrong, but I thought what happened to her baby was a result of going into the tent while the witch was doing her dead song. The dead will dance her tonight.

tough call - I don't know for sure - but it seems to me that the woman didn't have any real supernatural powers - she was an herbalist and a bullshiater - The Gypsy accent was a "tip" to the viewers.

Dany really is "dragon people" - maybe the Targaryans have to mate together for a successful birth? Remember that talk/justification about Lannister-inbreeding once drifted towards the fact that, "the Targaryans have done it for centuries" (or something).

If this is true, that old Targaryan coot on the Wall is in for a nice time of dragonre-populating with the hot ass Dragon Lady: they'll be the most important "factory" in the fight against the baddies of the North.

it would be that it introduces almost more human characters and storylines than you can keep up with.

this has already happened - I'm all for finding out all the stories but they'll never have time to air it all. I'm concerend that there will be a Sopranos-like no-closure to too many juicy setups.

tough call - I don't know for sure - but it seems to me that the woman didn't have any real supernatural powers - she was an herbalist and a bullshiater - The Gypsy accent was a "tip" to the viewers.

Dany really is "dragon people" - maybe the Targaryans have to mate together for a successful birth? Remember that talk/justification about Lannister-inbreeding once drifted towards the fact that, "the Targaryans have done it for centuries" (or something).

If this is true, that old Targaryan coot on the Wall is in for a nice time of dragonre-populating with the hot ass Dragon Lady: they'll be the most important "factory" in the fight against the baddies of the North.

You're making almost have to break my fingers to keep from throwing any teasers out TD. :D

With the 3 eyed crow in dreams. correct?

He was in Bran's dream, yes. It is always the same dream. Everytime they show it, it goes further and further into the dream.

this has already happened - I'm all for finding out all the stories but they'll never have time to air it all. I'm concerend that there will be a Sopranos-like no-closure to too many juicy setups.

This is my fear too. There are whole 'kingdoms'and major houses that haven't even been heard from yet in the TV series. I really hope they are able to cut some out for the series so we have some chance of getting to the finale (though it's hard to know how important any of them are to the end game).

You're making almost have to break my fingers to keep from throwing any teasers out TD. :D

use the Spoiler Tags - you know, this one:

Spoiler Here

and just throw out the teasers - am I Hot? or Cold?

I'm going to read the books and watch next season regardless, it's just too entertaining (and rich) not too.

it's been TELEGRAPHED for a while now.

There have been TONS of subtle things in this show that really help to make it enjoyable (last night, the old Grand Master who's perfectly fit/healthy but stoops/slows the minute he's going into public).

But the whole Fire/Ice thing hasn't been subtle, it's never been a question of *if* - only *when*. Thge Wildlings even talked about Giants - there will eventually be Giants, almost guaranteed.

Also noteworthy, Jaimie Lannister will easliy/casually admit to pushing a 10 year old boy out a tower window, but won't say why (i.e. b/c he was focking his sister). Good for the show for admitting how wrong that is.

i would argue that it hasn't even been telegraphed throughout the episodes. all you really needed to watch was the first.

the title of the book alone tells you its the creatures of the north vs creatures of the south, fire vs ice, whitewalkers vs dragons.

i think the point of the stark boys shared vision/dream was foreshadowing the death of their father. The crypts are where all their important relatives are buried. Right after we learn that both boys had the same dreams, they receive official word of their fathers beheading.

use the Spoiler Tags - you know, this one:

Spoiler Here

and just throw out the teasers - am I Hot? or Cold?

I'm going to read the books and watch next season regardless, it's just too entertaining (and rich) not too.

I don't want to ruin anything for you. I'll just say that there's a fairly big mystery in the books that wasn't really hit upon much by the series, and there's speculation that it figures in to some of what you're saying. I think you'll figure out what I'm referring to when you read the books.

I could be wrong, but I thought what happened to her baby was a result of going into the tent while the witch was doing her dead song. The dead will dance her tonight.

In an earlier episode, Dany puts one egg on the fire and picks it up with no burns. He servant gets severely burned. And then her brother gets crowned by Drogo and Dany says her brother was not a dragon, that fire cannot kill a dragon. It all pointed to this event.

yep.

i took this all as meaning had she not asked the witch lady to save drogo, and had she not entered the tent, there is a real chance she would have given birth to a living dragon type thing.

not exactly the dragons the hatched at the end, but some sort of dragon/human hybrid?

her childs death paid for drogo's "life"

Someone who read the book told me that the witch actually was responsible for Drogo's infection and wanted the baby to die. I haven't read the books, but I'm lead to believe that the witch was more than involved in the fiasco than the show showed. But ultimately, it worked out for Dany because she needed to be rid of Drogo to get her Dragon thing going.

I just don't like waitin a whole year for season 2. HBO can suck my left nut for forcing me to download the 2nd and 3rd books

Someone who read the book told me that the witch actually was responsible for Drogo's infection and wanted the baby to die. I haven't read the books, but I'm lead to believe that the witch was more than involved in the fiasco than the show showed. But ultimately, it worked out for Dany because she needed to be rid of Drogo to get her Dragon thing going.

This is correct. But I thought the show did address this when Mirri Mas Duur said "Saved me from what?... Life is not worth living when all the rest is gone." It was clearly revenge.

Question for the ones who have read the book(s)

I just watched the first season, but I can't wait for the 2nd so I want to start reading.

Should I read the 1st book? Or would it be ok if I went on to the 2nd one?

Question for the ones who have read the book(s)

I just watched the first season, but I can't wait for the 2nd so I want to start reading.

Should I read the 1st book? Or would it be ok if I went on to the 2nd one?

GOOD QUESTION!

I just bought the books... I'm tempted to just START on #2, but maybe I shouldn't?

GOOD QUESTION!

I just bought the books... I'm tempted to just START on #2, but maybe I shouldn't?

From what I've read there are other story lines that haven't even been touched by the series yet. I don't know if they start in book one or are added later. If or when I start reading the books I'll be starting with book one to make sure I don't miss anything.

I think it would be possible to start at book two... BUT... You will get a much better understanding of the story and characters if you read book one.

thanks... I'll start with Book 1, I knew/know that's the way to go but after last night's final episode, I just want to know what happens NOW dammit!

I think it would be possible to start at book two... BUT... You will get a much better understanding of the story and characters if you read book one.

I'm a little disappointed in our boy Joffrey; when the singer said "Every man needs his hands" Joffrey took his tongue. I would have expected him to take his hands.

I'm a little disappointed in our boy Joffrey; when the singer said "Every man needs his hands" Joffrey took his tongue. I would have expected him to take his hands.

it's not just the cruelty that makes him so disdainful - it's that we all know he's a pvssy - a cruel, little, pvssy that exemplifies the old, "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple".

It's made the unsymapthetic Sansa in interesting character: still don't really like her, but if she'd sacrifice herself to get at Joffrey, there'd be some redemption in my eyes.

This guy gets it. A Song of ICE and FIRE.

Ed what a total doosh you are. They focused on those eggs about 100 times in past episodes, ever hear of foreshadowing?, you are showing your dooshiness by saying you never thought there would be dragons.

I ordered the books, I can't wait. A buddy of mine who had already read the books and is watching thrones, just smiles and says," The books are good." He knows better than to say anything else because he doesn't want to ruin anything. I ordered the books last night from Amazon, supposed to be in my possession by Friday. :thumbsup:

I kinda regret that I won't be able to participate in predicting what will happen here, but I just can't help it, I am way too intrigued.

I would beat Joffrey with brass knuckles to a slow death.

One issue I do have is why the fock is the lannister dude who was captured admitting to pushing the stark gimp kid, there is no reason to and he should be dead by admitting that. I don't get it, no way anyone could hold back from that.

:music_guitarred:

If that burned face guy (hound?) didn't stop the redhead chick from pushing Joff of the bridge, who would've been next in line for the throne? She gets killed immediately. Rob goes even more ape ######. Once the chick that's pretending she's a boy gets smuggled out of the city, Jamie probably gets killed. I guess the fat king's brother rolls in and picks up the pieces after the Lannisters and Starks destroy each other.

He was just showing his merciful side. :lol:

One issue I do have is why the fock is the lannister dude who was captured admitting to pushing the stark gimp kid, there is no reason to and he should be dead by admitting that. I don't get it, no way anyone could hold back from that.

:music_guitarred:

Two things; Jaime might figure he's already dead since Catelyn tells him as much, but also Jaime has his own twisted sense of honor. He would throw a 10 year old kid out a window but he wouldn't lie about it when asked directly.

thanks... I'll start with Book 1, I knew/know that's the way to go but after last night's final episode, I just want to know what happens NOW dammit!

Haha, ditto.

If that burned face guy (hound?) didn't stop the redhead chick from pushing Joff of the bridge, who would've been next in line for the throne? She gets killed immediately. Rob goes even more ape ######. Once the chick that's pretending she's a boy gets smuggled out of the city, Jamie probably gets killed. I guess the fat king's brother rolls in and picks up the pieces after the Lannisters and Starks destroy each other.

As far as the people are concerned, Prince Tommen, Joffrey's younger brother, would succeed to the throne. Of course he's a bastard with no legitimate claim, just like Joffrey.

Two things; Jaime might figure he's already dead since Catelyn tells him as much, but also Jaime has his own twisted sense of honor. He would throw a 10 year old kid out a window but he wouldn't lie about it when asked directly.

I believe Rob will need Jaime before all is said and done.

I thought the last scene with Dany was masterfully done. I am so happy that the show is so successful and everyone loves the story. The more successful and popular it is, the bigger the budget that HBO will commit for Season 2. And there are some epic battles and necessary CGI that will need all the funding they can get. Budget issues were the reason that they did not stage any of the large scale battles on screen this season.

And I think the one thing which visually disappointed me more than anything was the tournament which totally did not come off how I envisioned when reading. Though of course it was told through the eyes of Sansa so maybe it wasn't as 'larger than life' as it seemed by reading.

For everyone starting the series fresh, definitely start with the first book. There are a great deal of nuances and characterization in the novel that it is impossible to portray onscreen and it will serve you well to read the novels first. You will likely be even more upset when Ned dies unfortunately.

Also the recaps of each episode done by Entertainment Weekly are both informative and hilarious. Definitely worth a read if you are only watching the show and not picking up the books. They don't give away any spoilers and help you understand who and what is happening in the event that you are confused.

Well it all depends on how long the show goes for I guess. The fifth book is coming out this summer after a VERY long wait. They could easily split some of the books into two different seasons if they so choose. Longer seasons- beyond 10 episodes- is another option. It all depends on funding and how committed the audience (and by extension HBO) is. It can be frustrating as it is a true epic and it can really be overwhelming at times. Luckily the majority of the plotlines and additional characters are as captivating as what we have seen onscreen thus far.

It really does remind me of the Wire in terms of scope and narrative structure. Like the Wire there are dozens of characters, and you might not see a favorite character for entire seasons at a time. But it was all telling the same story, just different aspects of it through different character's eyes. Each Season you were reluctant to commit because there were all these new plots and characters, but it ended up being arguably the best show in the history of television. So I think Game of Thrones can manage.

Book 2 - 2012 TV

3 - 2013

4 - 2014

5 - 2015

So that will give Martin 3 years to write book 6 and then another 2 years to write book 7.

I know hes taken his sweet time. But with the newly found recognition from the public and some extra funding from HBO, I'm guessing Martin will be able to make those deadlines.

What will that do to the quality of the books? That's what I am most curious about.

Book 2 - 2012 TV

3 - 2013

4 - 2014

5 - 2015

So that will give Martin 3 years to write book 6 and then another 2 years to write book 7.

I know hes taken his sweet time. But with the newly found recognition from the public and some extra funding from HBO, I'm guessing Martin will be able to make those deadlines.

What will that do to the quality of the books? That's what I am most curious about.

Well the first three books came out in rather short order. The fourth took a little bit longer, and then of course there has been the interminable delay for this fifth. But per Martin, the delay was mainly him having some structural problems and really grappling with how to solve one particular aspect of the story that had him stumped. The fourth and fifth were originally supposed to be one book, but then it got too long so he split it and did it by narrative and it turned into a debacle.

As long as he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan, we should be in capable hands.

Ed what a total doosh you are. They focused on those eggs about 100 times in past episodes, ever hear of foreshadowing?, you are showing your dooshiness by saying you never thought there would be dragons.

the first time they showed the eggs (wedding gift), I thought 'that's different.'

the second time they showed the eggs, I knew those babies were hatching.

the 3rd, 4th, 5th times (including her hands not burning), it was overkill for the slow.

so if you still didnt think you were going to see dragons...

:shocking:

i'm definitely going to start with book 1. book detail is always better than condensed film.