Sign in to follow this  
sheadtoo

Al Davis.....

I have mixed feelings....GREAT contributor to football, maybe biggest ever last 10 years or so such a big crackpot glad to see him out of football. still RIP Big Al :pointstosky:

Who's going to make all the draft picks now for the Raiders? Speed and the vertical longball could be out.

RIP AL

That's a shame.

I think he fell into a spiral of questionable decisions late in his career, but the guy was a football legend.

Sad day.

Davis' first coaching experience in professional football came as the offensive end coach of the Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers from 1960 to 1962.

After the 1962 season, Raiders general partner F. Wayne Valley hired Davis as head coach and general manager. At 33, Davis was the youngest person in professional football history to hold the positions. It was at that time that assumed the image that would define him for almost half a century—slicked-back hair, Brooklyn-tinged speech (the "Raiduhs"), dark glasses and an intense will to win.

Davis immediately began to implement what he termed the "vertical game," an aggressive offensive strategy based on the West Coast offense developed by Chargers head coach Sid Gillman. Under Davis the Raiders improved to 10–4, the first winning record in franchise history, and one more win than they had notched in their first three seasons combined. He was named the AFL's Coach of the Year in 1963. Though the team slipped to 5–7–2 in 1964, it rebounded to an 8–5–1 record in 1965.

In April 1966 he was named the American Football League Commissioner. He immediately commenced an aggressive campaign against the NFL and signed several of the NFL's top players to AFL contracts. Other AFL owners, Davis not included, held secret meetings with the NFL, and in July the AFL and NFL announced that they were merging. Because of the compensation AFL teams were required to pay the NFL, and because he believed the AFL would be the superior league if allowed to remain separate, Davis was against the merger. On July 25, 1966, Davis resigned as commissioner rather than remain as commissioner until the end of the AFL in 1970.

via wiki

RIP to a football legend.

So bump up D. Moore and forget entirely about DHB? Just kidding.. but not really :rolleyes:

I've been a Raider fan since the "Heidi Bowl" in 1968, and I can't begin to say how saddened I am over the passing of Al Davis. Al was a true pioneer and innovator of the game. I've been harshly critical of his recent management of the team, but there is no denying the impact and legacy of the man.

If there was a Mount Rushmore of the NFL, Al Davis would be on it.

RIP Al. Maybe Heaven has a "Black Hole" too....

I'll prefer to remember the first 40 years of his contribution to the NFL rather than the last 10 years of his craziness dragging the Raiders down and making them a laughing stock. In the end, his passing is better for the team going forward, but there would be no team without Al Davis. Nor would the NFL likely be what it is today without his visionary contributions.

I'm getting a big kick out of all these Raider fans who are believing that the Godfather has only been in decline and making questionable decisions for the last ten years... :rolleyes:

RIP Boss.

I'll have more later, but this makes Raider players (other than Run DMC) fantasy relevant maybe even starting next year.

So who ownes the team now? How does this work? Did somebody receive the Raiders in his will?

Al was already dead and the Raiders have been pulling a Weekend at Bernie's for 10 years.

So who ownes the team now? How does this work? Did somebody receive the Raiders in his will?

Was thinking the same thing. Any kids? Handed down like the yankees? Does the team go up for sale in the off season?

"Houston, we've had a problem."

My money is on Oakland this week in Houston. On a lighter note, I always loved him in that movie "Weekend at Al's". :pointstosky:

i thought this happened several years ago

Was thinking the same thing. Any kids? Handed down like the yankees? Does the team go up for sale in the off season?

His son Mark Davis probably inherits the team. With Amy Trask continuing to run the business end. Mark would probably look to bring in a GM.

i thought this happened several years ago

Yep, but today they finally decided to go public with it.

His son Mark Davis probably inherits the team. With Amy Trask continuing to run the business end. Mark would probably look to bring in a GM.

Amy Trask is a shark in female clothing, in fact she used to be Al's personal lawyer. The word for years has been Mark Davis, with input from the General Partner and some help from former players/coaches (Madden has been mentioned), but it was all washerwoman talk as no one ever thought the old codger would really kick it. I liken this to maybe the Berlin Wall coming down, something you never thought would actually come about, but suddenly is upon you.

I hate to say it, but this is damn good news for Raider fans. I look for them to bring in a true football guy. I know Charlie Casserly is out there as is Floyd Reese. Or they could go younger with a Bill Cowher or Jeff Fisher. Jon Gruden is still revered in the Bay Area, his four years in Oakland was probably the greatest coachest stint in NFL history, all things considered.

The King is dead. Long live the King. Raider football. :thumbsup: