Sign in to follow this  
Mack 1

An owner drops Andre Johnson for a kicker by mistake

A guy in our league was in a hurry and accidentally dropped AJ for a kicker. Another owner had to inform him of his mistake 30 minutes later. Meanwhile, a third owner swooped in and picked up AJ.

The dude that made the mistake called me (I'm the league commish) to see WHEN I would make the correction. I told him, while it was an honest mistake, the league can't legislate negligence.

There's nothing in our rules that says anything about contingency plans for owners making bonehead mistakes like this. In the absense of such rule, I made the decision that he's simply ass-out and has to live with AJ on somebody else's team.

Too harsh? He got what he deserved? What say you?

A guy in our league was in a hurry and accidentally dropped AJ for a kicker. Another owner had to inform him of his mistake 30 minutes later. Meanwhile, a third owner swooped in and picked up AJ.

The dude that made the mistake called me (I'm the league commish) to see WHEN I would make the correction. I told him, while it was an honest mistake, the league can't legislate negligence.

There's nothing in our rules that says anything about contingency plans for owners making bonehead mistakes like this. In the absense of such rule, I made the decision that he's simply ass-out and has to live with AJ on somebody else's team.

I'm wondering what is the process for waivers? If someone gets dropped anybody can just pick that player up right then if they happen to be on?

[/quote

I'd restore the rosters.... no need for bad karma in a game where luck is our only ally. If he did it because he was pissed at AJ and had regrets...then f!#k him...

phones or computers take only one milli-sec to create a mistake. the implications to the league are dramatic in that kind of player swing (IMHO anyway)... akin to someone getting an extra 2nd round pick in your draft.....NOT COOL

I'm wondering what is the process for waivers? If someone gets dropped anybody can just pick that player up right then if they happen to be on?

I think the guy dropped AJ on purpose and is playing dumb to protect his buddy who picked him up. Collusion all the way.

i don't like his "when will you" reaction, but in a case like this, you know it was an interface mistake rather than bad judgment--the values are just too divergent. personally, i'd correct it. i've been in leagues that had something like this happen, and i've voted to allow the correction.

i can see your point about negligence, but i think it would be more in the interest of the league to make the correction and keep competitive balance than to have everyone saying "waiver 1 got a free stud due to someone else's stupidity". the point of the game is rewarding good play. if you're going to stick with the decision, i think the only fair way to handle it would be a lottery that includes the team who dropped him. that way everyone has a fair shot at getting johnson.

I would quit and u r a d&%$ if you let that go thru. Actually you are a bad commish to allow it cause of your rules don't explicitly explain this scenario

Let me guess he is ahead of u in standings

I think the guy dropped AJ on purpose and is playing dumb to protect his buddy who picked him up. Collusion all the way.

this is also a strong possibility. lottery cures that.

It was an honest mistake I'm sure. Put Andre back on the original owners team.

If not, that owner is going to be pissed, and the rest of the league might be pissed too b/c the team that picked him up got a great player for nothing.

P.S. This happened in my league last week when an owner accidentally dropped the Chicago defense. The commish added them back to the orginal squad in a matter of minutes.

P.P.S. This is why you are commish. So you can step in and make fair and balanced decisions in the best interest of the league. Not to be a cobb knobbler.

It was an honest mistake I'm sure. Put Andre back on the original owners team.

If not, that owner is going to be pissed, and the rest of the league might be pissed too b/c the team that picked him up got a great player for nothing.

P.S. This happened in my league last week when an owner accidentally dropped the Chicago defense. The commish added him back to his squad and we continued on.

I would be pissed too if I was other guys

Very unfair ruling commish I am calling it....you have it out for owner that made mistake

A. A dropped player should always go on waivers for at least one day. This prevents collusion and teams circumventing the trading process. Change your league rules next year.

B. Mistakes happen. If the guy informed you rather quickly (same day) then I think you should fix the mistake. Fantasy Football is supposed to be fun. Mistakes happen, no need to be a hard ass. Simply call or email the guy that picked up AJ and explain to him this. If he is half a man then he will understand.

Isn't there a confirmation page? Like you select who you wanted to add and who you want to drop? Then you click it and it shows you once again and says something like "Are you sure..." and you click confirm? Lazy.

I would be pissed too if I was other guys

Very unfair ruling commish I am calling it....you have it out for owner that made mistake

Yeah, I think the negative implications outweigh the positive ones if this is allowed to stand. Why don't you have a league vote? I'd bet it would go in favor of letting the guy get A. Johnson back.

You do nothing. The owners needs to pay attention to what they're doing. Just because you're the commishioner it's not your job to baby sit the league. From what I read the owner did not notice the mistake until some one else told him. Maybe if the owner would have contacted you as soon as it happened then sure change it. Other wise your making a bad example for the rest of the league. Soon every owner will be having a case of the I did not mean to and you changed it for him.

tough love

Nicely done commish

I agree. If anyone make a computer-based error and acknowledges it within the hour, how can you not "make it right?"

thanks for the feedback, gents. the change will be made.

You're not done yet commish. You need to adjust your waiver system. Someone should not be able to go in and pick someone up off waivers within an hour, that's just wrong. That type of system really can create some bad scenarios.

Secondly, I hope you charge for the activity. The idiot owner (and almost all of these pickups have a confirmation page) should have to pay for 2 transactions. That should help from such nonsense in the future.

I say your decision was a poor one, and you need to step down as commish. Simply pathetic on your part.

Isn't there a confirmation page? Like you select who you wanted to add and who you want to drop? Then you click it and it shows you once again and says something like "Are you sure..." and you click confirm? Lazy.

I dont think there is one in CBS if you do it on your iphone. I could see this happening very easily using the APPS

In this case its simple. Give AJ back to guy who made mistake and fix your rules.

I did the same thing this year: I accidentally dropped Jimmy Graham for a waiver wire defense when I meant to drop Barden. Clicked the wrong button on my iPhone. I texted the commish literally a minute after my mistake and he reversed it. If he let it go through I would've lived with it, but I think that would be the wrong decision. Mistakes like that will throw off the balance of a league a lot more than reversing those errors. That said if I F up again I won't even ask for a mulligan.

yeah where are the waivers, like if guy gets dropped he goes on waivers for 24 or 48 or however many hours.

This is your fault for bad rules

I give everyone 1 freebie per year, as long as they notice their mistake within a 24 hr window (unless games start). We have daily waivers next day midnight type of thing. So if they dont notice it before then its over sorry.

I think you have to put it back and give him the benefit of the doubt...

I know I am late to the game, but I just wanted to add that people who want to be so firm, so tight, and not let someone have the benefit of the doubt are being ridiculous...

jdon

Wow, that's a brutal call.

I'm as big a proponent of expecting competence from your franchise owners as anyone, but geez, this one is an obvious wrong click of a mouse.

As has been mentioned, you need to adjust your league setup so that dropped players are locked for a certain period of time. In my league, dropped players cannot be picked up again in the same week they are cut. They are locked until the following week.

Perhaps my biggest problem is the negligent owner obviously didnt pay attention to the confirmation prompt on CBS, when it asks u are u sure. Also, we initially thought he did it on his phone, but dumb-dumb was actually on his laptop.

My damn phone has been blowing up since Thursday when it went down. Certainly, this will induce us to adjust the waiver system in our league. Again, thanks for the wide array of opinions.

I couldn't find anything on CBS, but many services offer email alerts that are sent out whenever a WW transaction takes place. So if someone drops Arian Foster for a bye week D/ST, and you sense this might - just might - be a mistake, you'll know about it within minutes and you can step in immediately. Sort of a hassle, but not really.

Considering Johnson is coming off a 15-yard week following a five point performance, I'm not so sure this one would have jumped out as an obvious blunder - especially if the Johnson owner was being hammered with bye week lineup problems. But the evidence in your case seems to be that the Johnson drop wasn't intentional. Unless the guy who called the guy simply talked him out of it rather than alert him to a point and click mistake. But you'll likely never know.

I call bs.

The guy got ticked, aggravated and impatient with his high draft pick after seeing his game vs the Jets, and then dropped him and then regretted it big time.

And in general people are responsible for their own rosters.

No way.

The guy got ticked, aggravated and impatient with his high draft pick after seeing his game vs the Jets, and then dropped him and then regretted it big time.

And in general people are responsible for their own rosters.

No way.

I guess we know who else was in this league, and was first to run to his computer once he got the alert Andre Johnson was dropped (with no waiver wire).

Perhaps my biggest problem is the negligent owner obviously didnt pay attention to the confirmation prompt on CBS, when it asks u are u sure. Also, we initially thought he did it on his phone, but dumb-dumb was actually on his laptop.

My damn phone has been blowing up since Thursday when it went down. Certainly, this will induce us to adjust the waiver system in our league. Again, thanks for the wide array of opinions.

So are you going to give him AJ back,or are you standing pat and telling him tough luck?