Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Disney buying LucasFilms

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/

Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series.

The Walt Disney Co. announced the agreement to make the purchase in cash and stock Tuesday. Disney added that "Star Wars Episode 7" is scheduled for release in 2015.

The deal brings Lucasfilm under the Disney banner with other brands including Pixar, Marvel, ESPN and ABC.

:cry:

The series when downhill ever since Empire was released. Now they are making a 7th?

:cry:

The series when downhill ever since Empire was released. Now they are making a 7th?

The last 3 were atrocious. :cry:

I've seen better chemistry between a mountain lion and an injured deer, then between Anakin and the princess.

I've seen better chemistry between a mountain lion and an injured deer, then between Anakin and the princess.

I went to see Episode I in the theatre, opening night, at midnight. It blew. I was not pleased.

I rented Episode II when it came on video. It blew so focking hard, I turned it off midway through.

I did not watch one nanosecond of episode III. Nor will I watch one second of this new abortion.

Revenge of the Sith was a decent movie. The other two were the suck. As well as Return of the Jedi.

However, Lucas originally planed nine movies. Curious to see what the plot is, since the story seems completed.

Empire was the high water mark for this franchise. Star Wars is good, Jedi has some entertainment value. The new 3 blew very hard.

Revenge of the Sith was a decent movie. The other two were the suck. As well as Return of the Jedi.

However, Lucas originally planed nine movies. Curious to see what the plot is, since the story seems completed.

He said he couldn't do it in order because the tech wasn't there to do the first 3 in order. Yet is was for 4-6 ? ESB was by far the best - Jedi wasn't bad but could of ended better

The Next 3 were to focus on Luke and eventually him becoming dark due to another sith in 7 -- then 8 Luke kills the sith that turns him dark for making him what he becomes and in 9 he is all out Dark and Han and Lea's kid either kills him or saves him at the end. At least that was the crib sheet I think I remember reading like a long time ago

Do you think this changes anything with the video games?

I'd love to see a battlefront for the ps3

Empire was the high water mark for this franchise. Star Wars is good, Jedi has some entertainment value. The new 3 blew very hard.

But if Disney got someone good to work off of Lucas's notes for 7-8-9 it could be pretty good. Lucas was a guy with GREAT Idea's for a Movie - but was a shitty writer and shitty at casting -- all but 1 -- Harrison Ford - and he made Lucas with the Indiana Jones movies and SW 4/5/6. Get a person that can take Lucas's notes and write a REAL script and get actually the right actors for the roles -- then it could be good as Lucas has a good premise for the next 3. I would say James Cameron but he is busy with his own trilogy Avatar -- in which he is taking his sweet time making Avatar II and III

I think I remember Edward Norton called Lucas wanting the role of Anakin -- Lucas didn't want to pay for a established star and sacrifice un needed F/X -- :thumbsup: great move George

THere are about 50 or more books that continue on with the story, so I'm sure it won't be hard to cook something up.

He said he couldn't do it in order because the tech wasn't there to do the first 3 in order. Yet is was for 4-6 ? ESB was by far the best - Jedi wasn't bad but could of ended better

The Next 3 were to focus on Luke and eventually him becoming dark due to another sith in 7 -- then 8 Luke kills the sith that turns him dark for making him what he becomes and in 9 he is all out Dark and Han and Lea's kid either kills him or saves him at the end. At least that was the crib sheet I think I remember reading like a long time ago

If he said that, it's a load of crap. It's not like he wrote out nine scripts and then decided to produce episode 4 first. Star Wars was the story with a very basic back history of how they got to that point and the potential for their being a prequel trilogy at some point in the distant future if he felt like making the movies. All of the movies were largely developed in real time as the new script was being developed which is why there are so many inconsistencies in the story. I've never actually heard him say the technology thing being the reason for making episode 4 first, but if he did, he is full of shiit.

I agree on your analysis of the movies. Episode III was not bad but I & II stunk to high heaven.

I'm also curious about what the plot would be for Episode VII. It almost seems like you'd need a new cast of characters against an entirely different threat.

i think its a good thing. Lucas effed up the last three and while Disney makes a ton of crap movies, they also made Avengers and a bunch of not great but well made action flicks the Tron, and the pirates movies, and the first national treasure, narnia. I mean, a lot of those arent GOOD, but they are better than that fing nightmare episode II

I still have some original Star Wars stuff from when I was a kid, including the entire first series of trading cards from 1977.

Just went from $50 to maybe $100 in another 40 years ... so I'm happy.

Is Lucas going to actually make the new movie or is he completely handing over production?

He'll be a consultant. His right-hand woman, Kathleen Kennedy, will be running the new division at Disney.

"He said he has given Kennedy his story lines and other ideas, "and I have complete confidence that she's going to take them and make great movies."Kennedy added that she and Lucas had discussed ideas with a couple of writers about the future movies and said Lucas would continue to have a key advisory role. "My Yoda has to be there," she said.

i think its a good thing. Lucas effed up the last three and while Disney makes a ton of crap movies, they also made Avengers and a bunch of not great but well made action flicks the Tron, and the pirates movies, and the first national treasure, narnia. I mean, a lot of those arent GOOD, but they are better than that fing nightmare episode II

Those movies all sucked. Yes, even the Avengers. I have no hope for Episode VII now :(

If Disney is smart, they'll tap in to fan disaffection and really work to make the new movies credible. I could see them adopting Peter Jackson's approach, just relentless preparation and authenticity.

At the very least Disney has the resources to hire decent focking actors.

That being said, I'm not holding out much hope for the new movies :(

Anybody remember when we tried to jihad a Star Wars Forum? I tried to register as AssDarth and SithOnMyFace and got promptly banned. Good times.......

If Disney is smart, they'll tap in to fan disaffection and really work to make the new movies credible. I could see them adopting Peter Jackson's approach, just relentless preparation and authenticity.

At the very least Disney has the resources to hire decent focking actors.

That being said, I'm not holding out much hope for the new movies :(

If they're real smart, they will re-release the re-releases where not only does Han fire first, he gets up, walks over to the dead Greedo and shoots him 6 more times for good measure.

Disney will find a way to make money with it.

People who are just a little too disconnected from reality will likely rail against it all as some kind of blasphemous crime. :rolleyes:

If Lucas has anything to do with it it's going to suck. Please have someone else take Lucas' general Idea's but make their own script and do their own movie. By God don't let Lucas near the damn casting.

IMO there was never a need for episodes 1-3 -- maybe 1 flick combining the entire back story -- The Idea behind 7-9 was so much better than 1-3. :thumbsdown:

I still have some original Star Wars stuff from when I was a kid, including the entire first series of trading cards from 1977.

Just went from $50 to maybe $100 in another 40 years ... so I'm happy.

Sad thing is growing up I had basically every single Star Wars toy as well as Transformers Would of been worth some serious money right now - but I went looking a few years ago threw all my old sh!t when I was a kid when I heard how much these were going for and couldn't even find 1 that was fully intact let alone in good condition :(

I bet they'll be pretty good, They should know now what it takes, and the technology should make it pretty cool as well...

Yoda was mad cool in 1-2-3, was quite a spry little fellow... Although Disney will probably force the hand of making more lovably stupid side characters they can market...

i'd argue that the soundtrack of episode 1 was quite good.

also, the fight scene with the lava between anakin and obi-wan was really spectacular.

(although i watched it recently and it wasn't as good as when i saw it in the theater)

Here's what Lucas is apparently planning to do with his $4.05 BILLION that Disney will be paying him: Lucas pledges $4 billion to fund education. Good for him. In interviews, Lucas has always stuck me as a bit of a pretentious blowhard, and his last few movies have been duds. But I'll give the man his props for funneling his money into education and other charities over the years. And he's right when he says that we ought to be investing more (and better) in education to improve both today and tomorrow's world. He's got more money than he knows what to do with, and hopefully this will help make a difference in the lives of a lot of students.

:cheers:

Here's what Lucas is apparently planning to do with his $4.05 BILLION that Disney will be paying him: Lucas pledges $4 billion to fund education. Good for him. In interviews, Lucas has always stuck me as a bit of a pretentious blowhard, and his last few movies have been duds. But I'll give the man his props for funneling his money into education and other charities over the years. And he's right when he says that we ought to be investing more (and better) in education to improve both today and tomorrow's world. He's got more money than he knows what to do with, and hopefully this will help make a difference in the lives of a lot of students.

:cheers:

Without getting into the political argument of if more money = better education, I think it's great that he's choosing to give money to good causes.

And I had to laugh when he gave his ###### California neighbors a big middle finger earlier this year.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/george-lucas-proposes-building-affording-housing-property-192338945.html

Lucas has spent nearly 25 years planning and lobbying to build a state-of-the-art movie studio on his Grady Ranch property in Marin County, near San Francisco.

But his neighbors have opposed the development for just as long, saying the noise from construction would disrupt their tranquil community.

And now it seems Lucas has finally given up on his studio development dreams. But he's proposed a seemingly brilliant form of revenge for his politically correct neighbors: If he can't have his studio, Lucas wants to install affordable housing instead

And I had to laugh when he gave his ###### California neighbors a big middle finger earlier this year.

And now it seems Lucas has finally given up on his studio development dreams. But he's proposed a seemingly brilliant form of revenge for his politically correct neighbors: If he can't have his studio, Lucas wants to install affordable housing instead

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/george-lucas-proposes-building-affording-housing-property-192338945.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know the reboot of the Batmans took it from this stupid focking cartoony type sh!t.... ie Swartz as the Freezeman or what the fock ever that was... and made it all dark an evil. Like that ass cowboy who played the joker and is dead now?

Yeah if they made the new star wars all focking gritty like that and took a lot of the crapass jarjar cartoony binks characters out of it.. I think it could be badass.

Without getting into the political argument of if more money = better education, I think it's great that he's choosing to give money to good causes.

Totally agree with you. Personally, I think it's about more money and better use of that money. But $4 billion doesn't hurt. :cheers:

You know the reboot of the Batmans took it from this stupid focking cartoony type sh!t.... ie Swartz as the Freezeman or what the fock ever that was... and made it all dark an evil. Like that ass cowboy who played the joker and is dead now?

Yeah if they made the new star wars all focking gritty like that and took a lot of the crapass jarjar cartoony binks characters out of it.. I think it could be badass.

Disney is know for its true grit.