Sign in to follow this  
nikki2200

Political Views and your Significant Other

How much do you feel your political philosophy has to do with your relationship? I am engaged to a pretty heavy conservative and sometimes he pisses me off to the point I don't want to have sex with him for saying things I find completely retarded. No political discussion really ends well between the two of us because one of us ends up pissed off. Unlike the majority of people on this bored, politics does not rule my life, but at what point does it become a problem? He treats me like an absolute princess and is the greatest guy I've ever been with in my life (I can't understate that. He is the most amazing guy on the face of the earth and I love him as much as I've ever loved anyone including my parents and siblings). But our politics are so night and day I wonder how other couples deal with this. Mostly because he is on the Drudge Report whenever he gets on his computer and then I have to explain to him how what he just read was not a clear representation of the facts. It's tiresome and it causes issues because a lot of times he disagrees with my take on whatever it is that he's reading. And I'm sure he gets pissed off at me thinking I'm a liberal hippy for some of the crap that I say.

This is probably a strange place to ask because it's politics all the time. But I'm just wondering if any other married folk deals with this and how to successfully maneuver it. There is no way I'm not marrying my fiance because he really is the most amazing man I've ever met. It's more about how to handle our political differences to make sure we can deal with that for the rest of our lives.

You probably wouldn't value the Amish girl's thoughts here (makes sense), so I'll just say that I enjoyed reading that. He sounds great, and your love for him is very sweet. Happy for you :cheers:

You probably wouldn't value the Amish girl's thoughts here (makes sense), so I'll just say that I enjoyed reading that. He sounds great, and your love for him is very sweet. Happy for you :cheers:

Naomi... I hope you know even though I come across as really set in my beliefs, I can appreciate everyone and that includes the Amish you!! I've always appreciated your perspective on things and try not to be closed minded about issues.

That comes through :thumbsup: But I'm not married folk so I'll sit out on that note.

That comes through :thumbsup: But I'm not married folk so I'll sit out on that note.

Ha! I am so in love with my fiance I guess I'm gushing about it. Sorry to get too specific about things but he is the love of my life and we disagree on so many things it's kind of hilarious. :overhead:

My SO is female so she's not allowed to have any views or oppinions. :bandana:

also please let this made up dude join here so we can tell him about the real you. TYIA

It is the job of the man to go out into the world, either physically or via the Drudge Report, and return to his woman as the triumphant hunter and provider. In this case, of facts about the world.

It is then her job to host Tupperware parties and giggle with her womanfriends, and tell them how unusually well-endowed he is, even though he doesn't look like it through his trousers, and that's because she accidentally bought him ill-fitting underpants, and also because the light in here isn't all that good to begin with.

How much do you feel your political philosophy has to do with your relationship? I am engaged to a pretty heavy conservative and sometimes he pisses me off to the point I don't want to have sex with him for saying things I find completely retarded. No political discussion really ends well between the two of us because one of us ends up pissed off. Unlike the majority of people on this bored, politics does not rule my life, but at what point does it become a problem? He treats me like an absolute princess and is the greatest guy I've ever been with in my life (I can't understate that. He is the most amazing guy on the face of the earth and I love him as much as I've ever loved anyone including my parents and siblings). But our politics are so night and day I wonder how other couples deal with this. Mostly because he is on the Drudge Report whenever he gets on his computer and then I have to explain to him how what he just read was not a clear representation of the facts. It's tiresome and it causes issues because a lot of times he disagrees with my take on whatever it is that he's reading. And I'm sure he gets pissed off at me thinking I'm a liberal hippy for some of the crap that I say.

This is probably a strange place to ask because it's politics all the time. But I'm just wondering if any other married folk deals with this and how to successfully maneuver it. There is no way I'm not marrying my fiance because he really is the most amazing man I've ever met. It's more about how to handle our political differences to make sure we can deal with that for the rest of our lives.

Tell him he has convinced you that his conservative views are right and now you only have sex for procreation.

My current fwb is a moonbat and a half.

I put up with it for the great sex.

I did temporarily dump her for a couple of weeks,after the election.

It was her being all proud because another undeserving kennedy won an election.

I had to school her on what dirtbags the entire kennedy family is especially the libturd hero teddy leave a teen girl to die coward pile of crap.

She is off the boat from Ireland so her complete ignorance is least a little bit understandable.

Interesting situation. My wife and I are fairly like-minded politically -- in fact, I've said here before that she is actually more conservative than me, and I often find myself debating the libruhl side of things.

Anyway Nikki, you strike me as someone who would only be attracted to a guy you think is smart. Presuming so, he probably has some intelligent thoughts to back up his beliefs. So move from a "win/lose" to a "win/win" and try to understand where each other is coming from.

My wife prefers me to tell her what to believe. We don't differ a ton, so it is not a big deal. Do politics really matter that much in your relationship?

Wifey and I share similiar political beliefs. My sister is a libral like me, and she married a conservative marine. They disagreed alot on politics, and they are now divorced. I don't think the politics caused the divorce, but probably contributed to it. I have always liked the guy, and think he is a good dad. But he was probably tough to live with.

We honestly don't talk politics that much, met enough while on the hill and a few governors, we all know they're all full of sh1t and we laugh at them more than anything.

I swear, if the founding fathers knew how dysfunctional these guys would be, "fock it, I'll drink the tea and give a penny more."

Anything I say my wife believes. I converted her to gun-control even though she's from Buttscrew, Alabama where everyone is a gun-nut including all her friends and family.

One thing I don't talk to her about is religion. She knows I'm a non-believer and I know she's a semi-believer. No point in talking about that stuff. Nobody wins with religion debates. I have agreed to take our daughter to church and play pretend-Christian while she grows up.

Why is it so hard for broads to understand what "love, honor, and OBEY" means? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

My girlfriend is fiscally conservative and socially liberal like myself. Although we never talk politics.

This is one problem that I don't have. We agree on politics, religion, kids and money... but we are incompatible in other ways. :ninja: The important thing is that he treats you well, and you are happy. No one and nothing is going to be perfect. Just agree to disagree and try to avoid political conversations, if they tend to cause fights. Pick your battles wisely. It may be one of the oldest lines of advice, but it works.

My wife is not very political so it's usually not much of an issue.

Every now and then some issue will pop up though. Like after we saw the movie Zero Dark Thirty we had a bit of a fight over the use of torture in interrogations. I thought it was reprehensibe that the US ever used it, even if it maybe kinda sorta led to info that was used to capture bin Laden. She was not so sure. This is a woman who cannot watch the commercials of dogs and cats looking all sad in an animal shelter because it breaks her heart to see that, but treating actual human beings worse than most abused animals are treated is somehow okay?? :wacko:

Anyway, I find it's best to avoid those kinds of topics, if possible.

My wife used to believe all the crap her aunt would spew. Her aunt is a California liberal. Die hard women's lib type Democrat. It took me a while to explain the error of her aunt's thinking in regards to certain things. My wife eventually came around to a more rational way of looking at things. I think the more she listened to what her aunt was saying, the more she realized her aunt was fawking nuts.

If you present your argument in a rational way he may eventually come around to see things in the same light you do. I've been with my wife for about 20 years. Neither of us sees things exactly the same as we did when we first met. She actually takes a more conservative stance on some issues than I do. I sometimes take a more liberal stance than she does. Sometimes we just agree to disagree. It's part of the deal.

I dated a dirty smelly hippy in college that thought she knew everything. Her previous boyfriend was just like the guy that Forrest Gump punches at the Black Panther party. Blamed everything on everybody else and couldn't understand why everybody wasn't of the liberal mindset. When she would start her rants about how awful the USA is, I would pull it out and she would get distracted. And if that didn't work I'd tell her that tye dyed t-shirts were invented by the man so they knew who the commie pot smokers were. She'd believe me and get paranoid and then wouldn't talk anymore. It was awesome to fawk with her.

My wife prefers me to tell her what to believe. We don't differ a ton, so it is not a big deal. Do politics really matter that much in your relationship?

No. I don't really care about politics that much. But we do end up getting into very heated arguments sometimes and I don't like it.

You could always send him on a weekend trip with the bro-jammers. That should straighten his ass out.

No. I don't really care about politics that much. But we do end up getting into very heated arguments sometimes and I don't like it.

Well, you might want to dig into that a little. If you get into very heated arguments over anything, you might want to consider why that is. Frankly, politics is one of several things that really should not matter that much in a relationship. We barely talk about it - just around election time.

You could always send him on a weekend trip with the bro-jammers. That should straighten his ass out.

:lol:

Most relationships have "third rail" subjects. Mine its religion. She's quite Christian, I'm a "seeker" with an agnostic background.

You just learn to avoid those topics. Eventually, it just becomes part of the All consuming resentment that fills the room with its deafening silence until you mercifully die.

Congrats on joining the married club!

My current fwb is a moonbat and a half.

I put up with it for the great sex.

I did temporarily dump her for a couple of weeks,after the election.

It was her being all proud because another undeserving kennedy won an election.

I had to school her on what dirtbags the entire kennedy family is especially the libturd hero teddy leave a teen girl to die coward pile of crap.

She is off the boat from Ireland so her complete ignorance is least a little bit understandable.

:cry:

I puked in my mouth a little

Most relationships have "third rail" subjects. Mine its religion. She's quite Christian, I'm a "seeker" with an agnostic background.

You just learn to avoid those topics. Eventually, it just becomes part of the All consuming resentment that fills the room with its deafening silence until you mercifully die.

Come on, marriage isn't all that bad. You get to um...well, you see, since you're married, uh...look, there's a benefit somewhere, ok? :angry: :unsure:

Jump on in the water is warm

Jump on in the water is warm

That's 'cause Bunny pissed in the pool.

My wife is a liberal but I'm a centrist Republican. We don't talk about it to avoid conflict. :cheers:

You prefer crappy sex ?

Queer

There is no way a thick necked, ass crack showing plummer bangs a hot little hippy chick.

There is no way a thick necked, ass crack showing plummer bangs a hot little hippy chick.

I know, that's why she bangs me. Im not a plumma

I know, that's why she bangs me.

:lol:

When you're banging her, do you moan like Howie Carr in her ear?