Sign in to follow this  
nzoner

Top 5-10 concerts you've seen in person

Metallica in 1989 at the Kellogg's Center Arena in Battle Creek, MI. And Justice For All tour. Queensryche opened.

I just won this thread.

Saw QR open for Metallica five times on that tour...that sound is me and this thread curb stomping you. :banana:

That was a great show. To this day I tell people how good that concert was and they laugh. Twisted Sister was a good band. "The Price' is a great rock song.

Saw TS on the stay hungry tour...ratt and mamas boys opened.

Saw QR open for Metallica five times on that tour...that sound is me and this thread curb stomping you. :banana:

Five times dilutes the experience. One time is special.

alsohighfive!!@#

Remembered 2 more

Anthrax and Metal Church at the Paradise in 1987. Back then there was a bit of a pit in front of the stage. I was standing on the first step next this huge guy who was about 6 ft 6 in. These wiry guys were moshing during Metal Church and kept bumping into me and this guy. During the intermission he says to me, "if one of these little punks bump into me again, I am gonna bash him". First Anthrax song it happens, and this huge guy hit him on the head like Whack a Mole. The kid just crumbled, and crawled his way off the floor. I caught a pic from the Anthrax bassist.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, and Pearl Jam in 91.

Grateful Dead 1979 Boston

Grateful Dead 1991 Boston

Grateful Dead 1994 and 1995 in Highgate, VT

Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds 1995 UNH

Phish 2004 Coventry, VT

do many people watch concerts in another person? :dunno:

Saw Black Sabbath last night..that was pretty awesome. Lady next to me saw Kid Rock recently said it was phenomenal, and the guy with her raved about seeing the Marshall Tucker Band.

Twisted Sister, Dokken, and Y&T in 1984. 2nd concert I ever went to, 1st with just my buddies, we were 13. Took the train into Boston. Show was at the Orpheum. It was another world.

Lollapallozza 1994 at some airfield in RI. Beastie Boys and the Smashing Pumpkins. They were my 2 favorite bands at the time. Touring on Check Your Head and Siamese Dream. The Breeders were pretty great too.

System of a Down last summer. See this band live.

Tool around 2002.

Dinosaur Jr. in 2012 at the Paradise Rock Club. They played the entire Bug album. I was about 10 feet from the stage. OFF! opened.

Built to Spill at the Paradise as well. Stood in about the same spot.

The National at the Hard Rock Cafe in 2010 just as High Violet came out.

Modest Mouse anytime I see them.

I've seen both Built to Spill and Dinosaur Jr in the last year. Both of these old timer bands still sound great live!

Saw MM 2 weeks back at the Vans Surfing Open, Huntington Beah, CA.

You have good taste in music. :cheers:

I'm jealous

Weird thing... my 2 year old absolutely loves Muse. Her ears perked up even when she was an infant. She must have loved the show as much as Mrs. MD (36c) and I! She knows almost every word to Madness and Panic Station. Proof that playing music whilst pregnant is soothing to babies. :unsure:

do many people watch concerts in another person? :dunno:

Depends on whether or not they took their schizophrenia medication. :dunno:

Also...why do people say "concert"? When I go to one of these I refer to them as shows.

Metallica w/ Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, Mudvayne Ohio Stadium, Columbus

U2 - Chicago

U2 - Baltimore

Pearl Jam - Cincinnati

30 Seconds to Mars

Korn w/ Linkin Park (headliner), the used, snoop dogg (horrible)

Aerosmith (3-5 years ago)

Mumford and Sons (Louisville 2012)

Bunbury Festival (this year) especially Twenty-One pilots and Walk the Moon

Muse (2013) Cincinnati

Honestly wish more young people had a similar musical taste as this. I saw that same Metallica lineup in Philly that year. Linkin and Limp Bizkit were much better than I feared they'd be.

Incredibly jealous about Mumford and Muse. Next time they come around, I am there. :thumbsup:

Saw the Beastie Boys in New Orleans in 1987 or 1988. It was general admission. We ended up right in front of the stage. A friend gave me a ticket last minute even though I wasn't a big fan yet. Fun show. One of the guys in our group was going ape sh!t happy. So one of Beasties went right up to him from the stage and spit the biggest loogey I ever saw right in his face. It look like a pig came on his face. He wasn't pleased.

Los Lobos - great band and vocals with two excellent guitar players.

Grateful Dead - at the Hollywood Bowl. N.R.P.S. was the opener.

Robin Trower - In Long Beach. Eddie Money opened.

Taj Mahal - Bedford Blues Festival. Great harp player. He played "Corrina" solo on an acoustic guitar with a chorus effect for the encore.

Most amazing concert:

Little Feat - The opening act (!) Lowell George just ripped it up on electric slide.

Fleetwood Mac - The Rumors LP came out the week after the concert. A lot of people didn't even know who they were. They sounded great.

Dave Mason - Came out and took over and put on a great show.

Most of my concerts were back in the 80's

No real particular order

Y&T The keystone palo alto

Day on the green concerts Oakland coliseums Foreigner headlined

Heart concord pavilion

Ac/Dc cow palace

Triumph cow palace

Rush cow palace

Rush shoreline

Fleet wood Mac shoreline

Van halen cow palace

White snake Santa Cruz

:lol: y&t was my favorite.....and i caught a lot of those you listed

:lol: y&t was my favorite.....and i caught a lot of those you listed

Yea Y&T at the old keystone a great little venue to see a loud rock concert. One could put a ear to the speakers and blow out an ear drum. Couldn't hear for a month after those concerts. A great way to deal with nagging parents or girlfriends.

Dio was great back in the day. I had tickets to see him four times and it took the fourth time to see him. The first one I missed was due to me being 14 and the van I was in had three ice chests full of beer. My old man to a peek in the van before we set sail and said no Fawking way! Second time I blew my ankle out playing football the day before the show. Third time , a rainbow in the dark gave my ticket away to a skank named Fatty Hollywood from Bunkie,LA. Fourth time was a charm. Great show.

• Like 1

Do you still have the note I left on your desk a few years ago? I bet you framed it, didn't you?

Omg, I forgot about that. Ha, damnit I wish it did!

I'm not nearly as old as you focks so all I got is

The Offspring/AFI in the mid to late 90s

And Sublime in the mid 90's

1968 Jimi Hendrix – No explanation needed, I was blown away!

1972 The Rolling Stones STP tour – Exile on Main Street / Bobby Keys

1972 The Who - saw them in Amsterdam, almost died in a “Cincinnati Crush” / Keith Moon

197? – Jerry Jeff Walker – First row table at a dinner theater in a 250 seat venue.

1981 Bruce Springsteen – 4 hour concert / back stage passes

hats off. i saw the grateful dead once. wasnt ever a big fan but im glad in hindsight i was there. walking into that show at pine knob was like walking in jerusalem when jesus was alive. with the addition of ppl whispering "doses, doses" as u passed them in the crowd.

2008 - Radiohead at The Hollywood Bowl: It was the In Rainbows tour, which featured cooler set lists than the King of Limbs tour. The most amazing venue I've been to. 60 degrees and a nice breeze with a mountain background. Even at the best shows, I'm usually ready for the headliner to wrap it up after 90 minutes or so, but this passed 2 hours and I would have been beyond thrilled to sit there another 2 hours.

2007 - Muse at San Francisco's Bill Graham Civic Auditorium: The wife and I got there when the doors opened and held a spot on the rail, literally 7 feet from Matt Bellamy all night. It's a different type of Muse show from that close as you lose perspective of the light show/spectacle. But seeing those guys, and especially Matt, work up close is amazing. Best live band in the world, bar none.

2001 - Toadies at South Padre Island during Spring Break: The Toadies are legendary in Texas. Still, all these years later they have their own day long festival in Fort Worth next month. But this was still during their prime and every 15-25 year old in Texas knew every word to every song. Factor in many thousands of scantily clad college kids, not a one of them sober, on a Spring Break night after an entire day of partying.... Myself? I was very coked up that night, which surely contributed. It was beyond insane. Biggest party imaginable.

2005- Muse at Dallas' The Gypsy Tea Room - I believe this was their first time through the US and they were just doing small clubs.. Absolution had just started getting some airplay. I'd been dying to see them for a few years already, so this was the most I'd ever anticpiated a show. Gypsy Tea Room is a tiny venue with one bar. I saw lots of bands there right before they blew up (Kings of Leon and Killers come to mind), but I've never seen a band blow the roof off of a venue like Muse did here.

1997 - Rolling Stones with Smashing Pumpkins at Fort Worth's Texas Motor Speedway: Was a giant Stones fan and a giant SP fan. Circumstance made it cooler, as we didn't even have tickets. We were golfing all day and drinking, then someone said we should just go park at TMS and listen to the show with a cooler of beer. Done.....But then some drunk guy came by asking for a beer and we obliged. He asked when we were heading in. We said no tickets and he said "Follow Me".....Next thing I knew we had snuck into the venue and were watching the show from a decent spot. All time fun night.

2010 - The National at Dallas' House of Blues: The perfect band for an intimate show at a small venue. Obviously I love them, but they were objectively great. I actually never care about crowd interaction between songs, but this was the best I've ever experienced. Goosebumps all night long.

I tried to stick with slightly bigger shows. I've seen insane Toadies shows at tiny DFW bars when they were a $5 house band that would blow most away. Another local band named Baboon that I could say the same about. Tripping Daisy, Old 97's, same stories. The late 90's in DFW were amazing for this sort of thing.

Grateful Dead 1979 Boston

Grateful Dead 1991 Boston

Grateful Dead 1994 and 1995 in Highgate, VT

Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds 1995 UNH

Phish 2004 Coventry, VT

you're a deadhead, that explains alot

Great thread :headbanger:

My 1st Concert ( KANSAS / 1976 Cleveland ) I became an instant fan with the Masque album and seeing them during the brink of them getting huge was amazing to me. Also was quite memorable seeing guitarist Kerry Livgren walkout in white during a guitar solo.

KISS (1976 Cleveland ) It was KISS Alive come to life.....great show!!!

STYX / AEROSMITH ( 1977 Cleveland ) STYX was my favorite band at the time and Dennis Deyoung was my IDOL, so when he came out for an individual soundcheck and waved back to me after we called him out was incredible.

more to come....

Not really "concerts" per se...

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - 1978 - Jadwyn Gym, Princeton, NJ

The Violent Femmes - 1984 -- Some random bar in Milwaukee

Live Aid - 1985 - Philadelphia

The Ramones with special guest David Byrne - 1986/87 - CBGB's NYC

Crowded House - 1987 - The Trocadero, Philadelphia

Sheryl Crow - 1993 - Tower Records, South Street, Philadelphia

Ben Folds - 1998 or 99? - Montclair, NJ

Dr. John, Ellis Marsallis, Alan Touissant and others - 2012 - Tipatina's New Orleans

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Concert - 2013 Madison Square Garden

2001 - Toadies at South Padre Island during Spring Break: The Toadies are legendary in Texas.

You did know the Toadies have Saginaw/Boswell roots right?

You did know the Toadies have Saginaw/Boswell roots right?

I was pretty die hard. Seen them 70ish times, was a regular on their message boards, etc.

And yet my answer is no. I believe you are mistaken. Pretty sure Todd and someone else went to LD Bell. Then they all worked together at a Sound Wherehouse in the Camp Bowie area.....But, there could be some other Boswell/Saginaw ties I'm unaware of.

Pimpadelic on the other hand.....Boswell, Saginaw, Blue Mound, etc. Maybe you mean them? Same perioid of time and almost as big for a while there.

And yet my answer is no. I believe you are mistaken. Pretty sure Todd and someone else went to LD Bell. Then they all worked together at a Sound Wherehouse in the Camp Bowie area.....But, there could be some other Boswell/Saginaw ties I'm unaware of.

Pimpadelic on the other hand.....Boswell, Saginaw, Blue Mound, etc. Maybe you mean them? Same perioid of time and almost as big for a while there.

No, I meant the Toadies.... Micheal Jerome (then last name Moore) played drums with them for a spell. He was also playing for Pop Poppins - they eventually made him pick one or the other. Matt Winchel played drums for them a bit too. Both went to Boswell. I grew up in the same neighborhood as Winchel (who had a drumming brother too) - knew him and his dad very well, his dad in fact used to help my dad coach our pee wee football teams.

I'm also very familiar and friends with Pimpadelic. Band founder and lead singer Easy Jesus Coe was not always such the rock star. As kids we called him Donnie, Donnie Franks specifically. He was a couple years younger than me, but his cousin was in my class. Saw him often as kids and even thru school. Not many would believe, but Donnie was basically a certifiable genius. The dude could of easiy have been a doctor or surgeon..... Matt Winchel's brother Charlie played drums for Donnie in Pimpadelic.

David Bowie-Tower Theater 1974

Grateful Dead- Englishtown NJ 1977

Frank Zappa- Felt Forum, NYC 1978-79 (though his Philly shows in '76 were extraordinary)

Bruce Springsteen- 1975-80 pick a show

Brian Wilson- dal, tx 2004 (2nd show of his return to the stage to perform the "Smile" album)

Nils Lofgren- some little bar in Scottsdale, AZ 2009 ( a fund raiser for the food bank charity his wife supports; somehow we scored tickets in a group of 65 high-roller donors; amazing)

Honorable m,ention to any of the dozens of times I saw the Ramones in Philly/NYC through the years

No, I meant the Toadies.... Micheal Jerome (then last name Moore) played drums with them for a spell. He was also playing for Pop Poppins - they eventually made him pick one or the other. Matt Winchel played drums for them a bit too. Both went to Boswell. I grew up in the same neighborhood as Winchel (who had a drumming brother too) - knew him and his dad very well, his dad in fact used to help my dad coach our pee wee football teams.

I'm also very familiar and friends with Pimpadelic. Band founder and lead singer Easy Jesus Coe was not always such the rock star. As kids we called him Donnie, Donnie Franks specifically. He was a couple years younger than me, but his cousin was in my class. Saw him often as kids and even thru school. Not many would believe, but Donnie was basically a certifiable genius. The dude could of easiy have been a doctor or surgeon..... Matt Winchel's brother Charlie played drums for Donnie in Pimpadelic.

Saw Pimadelic 10-20 times. Not my type of music, but crazy shows obviously. I knew Donnie Franks slightly, as in we have met. And he had a younger sister/cousin (not sure which) that was in my class and I knew reasonably well. She was a touch insane. So yes, I'll admit I would never have guessed Donnie was intelligent. :lol:

As for those Toadies guys, yet that's new knowledge for me. I got into them at the same time as everyone else in FW in 1993-94. I know the lineup from that point on, so I assume those the very early years. Very cool though. As big as all of Boswell was into them those last couple of years I was there (graduated in 96), I'm surprised it wasn't common knowledge there were old ties there.

Honestly wish more young people had a similar musical taste as this. I saw that same Metallica lineup in Philly that year. Linkin and Limp Bizkit were much better than I feared they'd be.

Incredibly jealous about Mumford and Muse. Next time they come around, I am there. :thumbsup:

Don't know how it didn't cross my min but also forgot to Include red hot chili peppers (2012)

Mumford and sons were awesome, will see them again when they get within 2 hours from me

Buckethead and That 1 Guy - 2012- was about 10 feet from Buckethead the whole show. Close enough to see his fingers moving. Got a toy and almost got to press the kill switch.

Drivin n' Cryin about 12 or 15 times between 1989 and 2009.

Metallica -1992?- The black album tour. Would like to have seen them 1 tour earlier, but it was still awesome.

GnR -1991- huge outdoor show at a horse race track. Being ankle deep in mud close to the stage is not safe.

Danzig -199?- opening act was Marilyn Manson. It was at an old abandoned furnace. The floor sloped toward the stage so everyone had a good view.

The Cult and Lenny Kravitz -1991- I went to see The Cult, but Kravitz was awesome too.

Live Aid - 1985 - Philadelphia

:thumbsup: That would've been great,I remember watching it live all day on MTV,bought the 4 DVD set a few years ago.

I was listening to this the other day on my run.

http://archive.org/details/gd1977-09-03.aud.wagner.minches.91650.flac16

1977 was a great run of music. This is probably the all time greatest Dead show:

http://archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

College roomie parents lived within a few blocks of the raceway. They vacated and left us to make sure something remained when they got back.

If you traded dope/beer for a semi-clean shower it may have been there. :cheers:

I'm going to see John Mayer and Phillip Phillips on Sunday.

It was my father's day present that my wife (36 DD) really bought for herself.

College roomie parents lived within a few blocks of the raceway. They vacated and left us to make sure something remained when they got back.

If you traded dope/beer for a semi-clean shower it may have been there. :cheers:

I've seen a lot of Dead shows in my time...never made it there. The craziest place was the last summer tour in 95 in Highgate, VT. We were at a campground in Swanzey with a bunch of nymphomaniac 20 somethings all walking around naked.

I miss Jerry. :(

WOW you were there during the taping of "David Live"? :thumbsup: ........great double album

"shameless plug"......because I know how much you value them :wave:

http://pixels.com/featured/the-thin-white-duke-cristophers-dream-artistry.html

Yes. Even in retrospect, it was one of the strangest, most debauched public venues I've ever seen. And an amazing show. Attended two of the three nights.

I was 16 and it confirmed that I had been doing exactly the right thing learning to play guitar.

I've seen a lot of Dead shows in my time...never made it there. The craziest place was the last summer tour in 95 in Highgate, VT. We were at a campground in Swanzey with a bunch of nymphomaniac 20 somethings all walking around naked.

I miss Jerry. :(

Wouldn't be a Dead show without naked chicks.

Ever check out Garcia's work with David Grisman as "Grateful Dawg"? Great documentary, and their recordings are wonderful.

Wouldn't be a Dead show without naked chicks.

Ever check out Garcia's work with David Grisman as "Grateful Dawg"? Great documentary, and their recordings are wonderful.

I bought my daughter their album "Not for Kids Only" when she was a baby. I've seen this documentary and have seen Grisman a few times. He is an unbelievable mandolin player. I'm not sure where you live but Robert Hunter is playing in Boston this fall. He does an interesting take on the songs he wrote for the Dead. I love his version of Ruben and Cherise.

I bought my daughter their album "Not for Kids Only" when she was a baby. I've seen this documentary and have seen Grisman a few times. He is an unbelievable mandolin player. I'm not sure where you live but Robert Hunter is playing in Boston this fall. He does an interesting take on the songs he wrote for the Dead. I love his version of Ruben and Cherise.

By all means you should check out the Garcia & Grisman album http://www.amazon.com/music/dp/B00000390S

Worth it just for their cover of "The Thrill is Gone" and the extended second side "Arabia". Some of Jerry's best acoustic work ever.

By all means you should check out the Garcia & Grisman album http://www.amazon.com/music/dp/B00000390S

Worth it just for their cover of "The Thrill is Gone" and the extended second side "Arabia". Some of Jerry's best acoustic work ever.

Thanks.

Have you ever listened to Garcia/Kahn at Oregon State Prison? It's a great show. I think it's on YouTube somewhere.