Sign in to follow this  
track 1

Falcons fans, come in here. I got something to say about our False Superstar QB

If anyone has seen my posts on the Falcons board, you know I don't really got much respect for Matt Ryan's fans and while I respect Ryan himself, I do not think he is a Super Bowl level QB due to his lack of tools, mobility, and lack of improvising skills. To me, he is another Matt Hasslebeck and at best Troy Aikman.

smh...

But, lets talk about why we will never win with Matt Ryan.

A. We gave Matt a deal over 105 mil and made him one of the highest paid NFL players in the game if not the highest.
B. That will limit our cap and we can't sign who we just please. That's the reason we cut Clabo and we have such a shitty OL right now. So let's say we upgrade the line but have to get rid of Roddy or pay Julio. We would not have the weapons as Ryan can't make WR's better than what they are like Brady, Payton, and guys of that nature.
C. In reality, we have a game manager and are paying him top dollar for what? Regular season wins. This is inline with a former Atlanta Hawks star named Joe Johnson.

Atlanta sports will always subject themselves to bad decision making and silly mistakes. With that said, Joe was a damn good player in Atlanta and a top 20 NBA player and Ryan is a top 10-15 QB but neither can't carry your team. It's fair to say they are two of the same.

I'm a huge Ryan fan and I'm gonna defend him here, but I'm not going to say u are insane. Iv gotten frustrated sometimes when I watch him especially 2 years ago when the guy couldn't convert a third down play. Here's the deal...I think Ryan is great, but he's also a guy that is elevated but the players around him, not the other way around like Brady or Manning who create studs out of white guys and mediocre talents. Ryan needs roddy Julio and gonzo, he would be very mediocre without them. He's good enough tho, to make the best of his stud situation and capitalize on their strengths.

To summarize...Ryan's a great qb, but not good enough to succeed without his studs like Brees, Brady, Rodgers can.

I understand the OP's initial point, but what do you expect an NFL team to do when the franchise's QB contract comes up? He's gonna get paid. Look at what happened to the Ravens & Cowboys this offseason as well. Would you rather have Flacco or Romo? I'd take Matt Ryan over those 2 any day.

Point being, smart drafting & building quality depth at all other roster positions via the draft is the way to build around a franchise quarterback who commands a high salary due to the importance of the position. If you're not a fan of Matt Ryan, I get it. He's not the flashiest QB but he's done pretty well up to this point in his young career. Franchise QB's don't grow on trees & currently in the NFL, Matt Ryan is an above average quarterback, imo.

If anyone has seen my posts on the Falcons board, you know I don't really got much respect for Matt Ryan's fans and while I respect Ryan himself, I do not think he is a Super Bowl level QB due to his lack of tools, mobility, and lack of improvising skills. To me, he is another Matt Hasslebeck and at best Troy Aikman.

As if your other topics were not a great sign that you are trolling...how do you reconcile the bolded?

Last time I checked...that Aikman guy may just have a ring or 3.

As a die hard Saints fan.......go fawk wood and deal with it! He's a half ass loser with a half ass coach that will never amount to anything other than being a second hand scumbag who allowed Vick to run his team and then allowed a nothing like Matty Ice to run his nothing team into sh!t.

You are a bunch of dog killing lovers who love taking it up the ass and crying when it doesn't go your way. The Saints put you in your place last week. Cry baby, cry.

As a die hard Saints fan.......go fawk wood and deal with it! He's a half ass loser with a half ass coach that will never amount to anything other than being a second hand scumbag who allowed Vick to run his team and then allowed a nothing like Matty Ice to run his nothing team into sh!t.

You are a bunch of dog killing lovers who love taking it up the ass and crying when it doesn't go your way. The Saints put you in your place last week. Cry baby, cry.

Says the guy who's team cheated to win a Superbowl... LOL

• Like 1

I find it both sad and ironic that someone who goes on ad nauseum in thread after thread about those he doesn't respect is among the least respected posters here.

Ryan isn't the best QB, but I would be happy with him as my starter. They didn't have to release Clabo because of Ryan's deal. That's just nonsense. lol They had to let him go for Steven Jackson and in order to bring back Gonzalez. Did they really "need" Steven Jackson? No. It would have been much cheaper, and probably more effective, to take Lacy or Giovanni, or both. There have definitely been some questionable moves, but not so much with Ryan himself, in my opinion. Ryan, like many QB's, is only going to be as good as his offensive line allows him to be. With no mobility, how they let that line get in its current shape is mind boggling.

As for his contract... What do you expect? He makes a lot now, but in two years, he won't be in the top 7 paid QB's. That's the way the NFL works. He's already behind Rodgers and Flacco. You have to have a QB locked up.... Who were they going to bring in that is anywhere near Ryan's level? Do you really believe Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would be "that" much better behind the Atlanta line? I don't. Better, yes. That much better, no. Denver and New England have two of the best pass blocking lines in the NFL. Blame the Atlanta GM, not Ryan. I highly doubt Ryan went into his office and said "Hey, I'd like a less capable offensive line in front of me." lol

wow ok ...first you say he is like hasselbeck or aikman????? how could anybody take a person serious when they have hasselbeck and aikman in same sentance.....i may be wrong but aikman is in HOF and has 3 rings? how many again does hasselbeck have? another ok i wont say he is best but top 10 guy yes..... brees was a failure til he got with a coach that put him in an offense that gets ball out quick so not saying he sucks but look at san diego days then when he got to new orleans system maybe? what it comes down to qbs take blame for losses and get credit for wins except in case of trent dilfer where nobody gives credit lol.... it really is a team game if you look at super bowl winners a lot has to do wit hhow the defense plas as much as how qb plays .... but really hasselbeck and aikman????? come on man

Hasselbeck should have 1 ring. :music_guitarred:

Famous last words: "We want the ball. And we're gonna score too!" (insert sound of pac man dying)

newest contract is the biggest contract.... Ryan is a stud.... OP is an idiot... Falcons suck because they D hasn't been the same since Brooking left.... With Roddy, Julio and SJ, I think they are going to ahve too much $$$ tied up in skill positions and not enough on the lines...

wow ok ...first you say he is like hasselbeck or aikman????? how could anybody take a person serious when they have hasselbeck and aikman in same sentance.....i may be wrong but aikman is in HOF and has 3 rings? how many again does hasselbeck have? another ok i wont say he is best but top 10 guy yes..... brees was a failure til he got with a coach that put him in an offense that gets ball out quick so not saying he sucks but look at san diego days then when he got to new orleans system maybe? what it comes down to qbs take blame for losses and get credit for wins except in case of trent dilfer where nobody gives credit lol.... it really is a team game if you look at super bowl winners a lot has to do wit hhow the defense plas as much as how qb plays .... but really hasselbeck and aikman????? come on man

Hasselbeck was a good QB... Aikman was on the most stacked teams in history... Hasselbeck QB'ed crappy seahawks and Tenn teams.... Rings are the product of a lot of things.

Football is a team sport, 100%. Ask Brady and Manning how things have been going since they had their defenses taken away and some of their supporting cast. Uh oh. NOTHING but playoff disappointments. Pats havent won sh!t in what...10 years now? Old news. Denver appears to have a shot but Im not sold. Sure, The Falcons threw a lot of money at Matt but teams have to pay for top QB talent. Just the way it is. I get what you are saying and Ryan does seem like the type who lights it up against shoddy competition and then looks very mediocre against the top teams. Atlanta is missing some key pieces to the SB puzzle and Im not sure they addressed them. Everyone works within the cap and has a $100 million dollar QB these days.

And NO player can carry a football team. Even the mighty, yet over-rated Joe Montana & terry Bradshaw benefitted a HUGE amount from being surrounded by HOF talent and coaches their whole careers. Ya know?

Dont panic just yet. Elway didnt win a title....until they got him a great running game and opportunistic defense. ;)

I can't give this the OP any credibility until he states what tools Ryan is missing. Game managing, accuracy, release, arm strength and intangibles are all things that I feel Ryan possesses. Mobility is nice, but far down the list. Just ask the best in the business aside from Rodgers how important mobility is.

All Ryan did last year was pass for 400 yards in the conference championship game last year against the best defense in the league, and take a huge lead only to see his defense totally blow it.

First, if you can win a superbowl with Joe Flacco you can win one with Matt Ryan.

I will agree that I think he is a slightly above average NFL QB and that you probably did overpay for him, however what do you want to do. Let him walk and draft Geno Smith? Above average QB's command a large salary (see Jay Cutler, Eli Manning, Tony Romo,) and you can win with them. They are what they are. Better than average but not Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady, etc. FYI those guys don't win the superbowl every year either.

I get what the OP is saying, but I'd take Ryan over guys like Flacco/Romo/Eli. Similar to Flacco last year, he is not elite enough to carry his team, but he is good enough to get his team into a winning position most of the time and if he gets "hot" at the right time, he can lead his team to a superbowl win. Thats nothing to sneeze at and is something a LOT of NFL GMs would love to have. If the Falcon's didn't pay him, there are a dozen teams out there who would love to drop that same kind of contract on him. Same reason Flacco got paid. It sucks to some degree, but the alternative - letting your franchise QB walk and taking a risk on a rookie is worse.

I get what the OP is saying, but I'd take Ryan over guys like Flacco/Romo/Eli. Similar to Flacco last year, he is not elite enough to carry his team, but he is good enough to get his team into a winning position most of the time and if he gets "hot" at the right time, he can lead his team to a superbowl win. Thats nothing to sneeze at and is something a LOT of NFL GMs would love to have. If the Falcon's didn't pay him, there are a dozen teams out there who would love to drop that same kind of contract on him. Same reason Flacco got paid. It sucks to some degree, but the alternative - letting your franchise QB walk and taking a risk on a rookie is worse.

I wouldn't take many QBs over Eli Manning if I wanted to win a SB. I'd take Eli over his more established brother in any playoff game.

I do agree about the other two.

Ryan is good enough to win a SB but he needs everything to go right around him. With his high salary cap number that is indeed unlikely. But Peyton won his only SB by getting carried by a great D when he ate up all the salary cap room, so it can happen. I'm sure Ryan can put up a 1100 yard, 3 TD 7 INT effort just like Peyton's best playoff run. Actually he probably didn't even get 1100 yards, meh.

The legit franchise QBs just have better odds to win, not a guarantee. Someone has to win it every year, and with Ryan's ability at least they should be a playoff team most of the time.

romo on the falcons and they win a superbowl

romo on the falcons and they win a superbowl

lol...Romo...really? He of the bungled FG snap? He of the game ending INTs in big spots? That Romo? Playoff Tony Romo? Haha really?

Says the guy who's team cheated to win a Superbowl... LOL

How so? Cheated? Playing the game the way it was taught? Hitting and stuff?

Yeah....we made plays and others didn't. Next!

I find it both sad and ironic that someone who goes on ad nauseum in thread after thread about those he doesn't respect is among the least respected posters here.

Me?

The saints are about to get old on offense to go with their porous D

And win. Crazy how Bree's is the best QB in the league today by most experts. Is his time up? Maybe. Just not now.

Marty Ice is overrated and his playoff wins are comical considering his record within them. I've seen him blow more games than a hooker on Main Street in the hood.

He's your prototypical QB that gets the job done during the season and fades away in the playoffs. He has yet to prove he is an Allstar QB until he wins a meaningful game.

And I blame his coach and owner. Does he have potential to be a star? You bet. But to say he's a star, that's dumb.

And win. Crazy how Bree's is the best QB in the league today by most experts. Is his time up? Maybe. Just not now.

Marty Ice is overrated and his playoff wins are comical considering his record within them. I've seen him blow more games than a hooker on Main Street in the hood.

He's your prototypical QB that gets the job done during the season and fades away in the playoffs. He has yet to prove he is an Allstar QB until he wins a meaningful game.

And I blame his coach and owner. Does he have potential to be a star? You bet. But to say he's a star, that's dumb.

Lets not be stupid here.... Teams with garbage defenses struggle in the playoffs...

Matt Ryan has the skills but he needs to gain about 20 pounds of muscle to increase that arm strength.

Oh and Atlanta, how about you give Stephen Jackson some more touches; especially inside the 10 yard line.

So I dug this up off the interweb and it's a bit hard to read in the format it's in. I was actually surprised to find out that Ryan is the #2 paid QB in the league in terms of avg per year. All that aside, what it really tells me is that teams like San Francisco, Washington, Indy, Seattle and Cincy are going to be so much better positioned over the next few years to be competitive because they have likely have franchise QB's who will never cost as much and can't handicap their teams like the top guys do.

I like Ryan but I'm guessing there are at least 8 guys I'd rather have long term, maybe even a few more if it was just for a couple of seasons.

Name     Team     TotalValue     APY     Guarantee     GuaranteePerYear     PercentGuaranteed     FreeAgency
Aaron Rodgers     Packers     $110,000,000     $22,000,000     $54,000,000     $10,800,000     49.1%     2020
Matt Ryan     Falcons     $103,750,000     $20,750,000     $42,000,000     $5,791,667     40.5%     2019
Joe Flacco     Ravens     $120,600,000     $20,100,000     $29,000,000     $4,833,333     24.0%     2019
Drew Brees     Saints     $100,000,000     $20,000,000     $40,000,000     $8,000,000     40.0%     2017
Peyton Manning     Broncos     $96,000,000     $19,200,000     $18,000,000     $3,600,000     18.8%     2017
Tony Romo     Cowboys     $108,000,000     $18,000,000     $40,000,000     $6,666,667     37.0%     2020
Matt Stafford     Lions     $53,000,000     $17,666,667     $41,500,000     $13,833,333     78.3%     2018
Eli Manning     Giants     $97,500,000     $16,250,000     $35,000,000     $5,833,333     35.9%     2016
Matt Schaub     Texans     $62,000,000     $15,500,000     $29,150,000     $7,287,500     47.0%     2017
Philip Rivers     Chargers     $91,800,000     $15,300,000     $38,150,000     $6,358,333     41.6%     2016
Jay Cutler     Bears     $29,337,500     $14,668,750     $20,000,000     $10,000,000     68.2%     2014
Ben Roethlisberger     Steelers     $87,986,500     $14,664,417     $33,200,000     $5,533,333     37.7%     2016
Mark Sanchez     Jets     $40,475,000     $13,491,667     $19,250,000     $6,416,667     47.6%     2017
Sam Bradford     Rams     $78,000,000     $13,000,000     $50,000,000     $8,333,333     64.1%     2016
Tom Brady     Patriots     $57,000,000     $11,400,000     $33,000,000     $6,600,000     57.9%     2018
Alex Smith     Chiefs     $27,775,000     $9,258,333     $9,000,000     $3,000,000     32.4%     2015
Carson Palmer     Cardinals     $16,000,000     $8,000,000     $10,000,000     $5,000,000     62.5%     2015V
Michael Vick     Eagles     $7,500,000     $7,500,000     $3,500,000     $3,500,000     46.7%     2014
Matt Flynn     Raiders     $19,500,000     $6,500,000     $10,000,000     $3,333,333     51.3%     2015
Andrew Luck     Colts     $22,107,998     $5,527,000     $22,107,998     $5,527,000     100.0%     2016
Cam Newton     Panthers     $22,025,498     $5,506,375     $22,025,498     $5,506,375     100.0%     2015
Robert Griffin III     Redskins     $21,119,098     $5,279,775     $21,119,098     $5,279,775     100.0%     2016
Josh Freeman     Buccaneers     $26,200,000     $5,240,000     $10,245,000     $2,049,000     39.1%     2014
Matt Moore     Dolphins     $8,000,000     $4,000,000     $4,000,000     $4,000,000     50.0%     2015
Matt Cassel     Vikings     $7,400,000     $3,700,000     $2,000,000     $1,000,000     27.0%     2015
Matt Hasselbeck     Colts     $7,250,000     $3,625,000     $3,000,000     $1,500,000     41.4%     2015
Kyle Orton     Cowboys     $10,500,000     $3,500,000     $5,000,000     $1,666,667     47.6%     2015V
Chad Henne     Jaguars     $6,750,000     $3,375,000     $3,000,000     $1,500,000     44.4%     2014
Chase Daniel     Chiefs     $10,000,000     $3,333,333     $3,000,000     $1,000,000     30.0%     2016
Ryan Fitzpatrick     Titans     $6,500,000     $3,250,000     $1,750,000     $875,000     26.9%     2015
Ryan Tannehill     Dolphins     $12,668,512     $3,167,128     $12,668,512     $3,181,511     100.0%     2016
Jake Locker     Titans     $12,586,002     $3,146,501     $12,586,002     $3,146,501     100.0%     2015
Kevin Kolb     Bills     $6,100,000     $3,050,000     $1,000,000     $0     16.4%     2015
Blaine Gabbert     Jaguars     $12,001,646     $3,000,412     $12,001,646     $3,000,412     100.0%     2015
Shaun Hill     Lions     $5,500,000     $2,750,000     $1,000,000     $500,000     18.2%     2014
Drew Stanton     Cardinals     $8,200,000     $2,733,333     $3,000,000     $1,000,000     36.6%     2016
Christian Ponder     Vikings     $10,158,698     $2,539,675     $10,158,698     $2,539,675     100.0%     2015
EJ Manuel     Bills     $8,885,300     $2,221,325     $8,885,300     $2,221,325     100.0%     2017
Brandon Weeden     Browns     $8,083,596     $2,020,899     $7,511,288     $1,877,822     92.9%     2016
Jason Campbell     Browns     $3,750,000     $1,875,000     $500,000     $250,000     13.3%     2015
Bruce Gradkowski     Steelers     $4,950,000     $1,650,000     $850,000     $283,333     17.2%     2016
Charlie Whitehurst     Chargers     $3,050,000     $1,525,000     $1,000,000     $500,000     32.8%     2014
Andy Dalton     Bengals     $5,214,198     $1,303,550     $4,028,171     $1,007,043     77.3%     2015
Colin Kaepernick     49ers     $5,124,296     $1,281,074     $3,800,000     $950,000     74.2%     2015
Geno Smith     Jets     $5,019,603     $1,254,901     $3,068,784     $767,196     61.1%     2017
Brian Hoyer     Browns     $1,965,000     $982,500     $250,000     $125,000     12.7%     2015
Rex Grossman     Redskins     $960,000     $960,000     $10,000     $10,000     1.0%     2014
Josh Johnson     Bengals     $1,895,000     $947,500     $500,000     $250,000     26.4%     2015
Dan Orlovsky     Buccaneers     $905,000     $905,000     $365,000     $365,000     40.3%     2014
Brock Osweiler     Broncos     $3,516,678     $879,170     $1,937,433     $484,358     55.1%     2016

I like Ryan but I'm guessing there are at least 8 guys I'd rather have long term, maybe even a few more if it was just for a couple of seasons.

I agree, but the only real way to get those guys is to draft a rookie QB and hope he works out. If you can get a Kap or Wilson, you are sitting pretty. Most of the time that doesn't work out. So you are left with a choice - pay big money for a sure thing like Ryan where you know what you have, or roll the dice on a low cost rookie who will give you lots of salary room, but has a good chance of completely sucking for his entire career and pulling your team into the abyss for a few years.

Teams like the Falcons who regularly finish with good records have an even bigger problem because they will never have a good shot at a blue chip rookie unless they trade away a massive draft pick package ala RG3 trade.

Its much easier to sit back and say, I'd rather have these 8 guys over Ryan - its a whole lot more difficult to actually get those guys.

Matt Ryan has the skills but he needs to gain about 20 pounds of muscle to increase that arm strength.

Oh and Atlanta, how about you give Stephen Jackson some more touches; especially inside the 10 yard line.

ryans lack of arm strength showed yesterday. now lets see how he does with no sjax

C. In reality, we have a game manager and are paying him top dollar for what? Regular season wins. This is inline with a former Atlanta Hawks star named Joe Johnson.

Atlanta sports will always subject themselves to bad decision making and silly mistakes.

Mark Richt's Disney Dawgs.....The Braves' playoff short comings....GATech's faded basketball glory........The Thrashers skipping town.......it's in the water dude.

Atlanta = Seattle East :dunno:

• Like 1