Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Bobby Rainey

What is his value as the starter at Cleveland?

Edited by Mike FF Today
First name change

i figure it's RBBC with ogboganavy for a game or two... then things get really focked when mcgahee signs... i am staying away...

You know it's not high when you don't get the player's name right.

It seems to me like this would be the guy. Yet all the services are recommending Willie M. I don't get that. Willie M is old and was passed by many before him. Plus it looks like Cleveland is throwing it in this year. If that were the case why wouldn't you want to see what the young kid has going for him?

I would think they would give the gig to Rainey or Ogb, not Willis. Willie would be the backup, much like Brandon will be the backup to Wilson in NY.

Cleveland is obviously looking to the future, why on Earth would they then trot out an old slow RB. Doesn't seem to jive with their plans.

I think this could the classic guy appears out of nowhere into a good run game O line and is a stud. Happens all the time, guys who you dont even know are stars over night.

• Like 1

Our waivers ran 18 minutes ago.

In a 14 team dynasty league McGahee went for 61% of the blind bidding budget. I picked up Rainey for free after waivers ran.

Our waivers ran 18 minutes ago.

In a 14 team dynasty league McGahee went for 61% of the blind bidding budget. I picked up Rainey for free after waivers ran.

so awesome

See people say it's obviously McGahee, but this is a front office that just did something no one would ever guess, trade trich. So it wouldn't be a stretch for them to do something unexpected like throw one of their current rbs into the mix to start because one way or the other, they need depth with two backs on their roster and that might be all McGahee is

I think this could the classic guy appears out of nowhere into a good run game O line and is a stud. Happens all the time, guys who you dont even know are stars over night.

Good point -- I am thinking the same way-- Cleveland has not thrown in the towel-- with Pitts way way down -- The Ravens an X factor -- it's too early== if Weeden is struggling why isn't he getting the gratis Jason Campbell got for 5 years with a new OC every year?-- the talking heads always had a preface for him

• Like 1

McGahee is the one to own - sorry to Rain(Y) on your parade

This. There is a reason the Ravens cut Rainey and only have 2 rbs on their roster. McGahee was strong in DEN last season and the year before. He can catches passes out of the backfield as well. Looks like CLE feels they can hit a HR next year.

everyone keeps bringing up mcgahee and last year... he got hurt last year missed what 6 games got released? 32 yrs old..... i am tempted to add ogbonnaya based on what he did when he got some carries couple years ago averaged 4.5 yrds a carry in 2011 also seems like he will be part of passing game 2012 had 24 catches for 187 yrds , 2011 23 catches 165 yrds..... i may of just talked myself into it lol..... either way they have a rough schedule over next few weeks so no sure there is much value for any Browns RB and we may not get to see who will be the main ball carrier until week 5..... but again i am not sold on rainey or mcgahee and really not sold on anybody in this backfield..... but if desperate enough i may grab ogbonnaya ...not that desperate enough yet though

Rainey was a workhorse in college......I know it was college in the Sun Belt conference at western kentucky i think.

But had over 300 carries and around 1500 rush and 13 tds average his junior and senior season

he is a bowling ball too. listed at 5foot 8 208lbs.

thoughts?

everyone keeps bringing up mcgahee and last year... he got hurt last year missed what 6 games got released? 32 yrs old..... i am tempted to add ogbonnaya based on what he did when he got some carries couple years ago averaged 4.5 yrds a carry in 2011 also seems like he will be part of passing game 2012 had 24 catches for 187 yrds , 2011 23 catches 165 yrds..... i may of just talked myself into it lol..... either way they have a rough schedule over next few weeks so no sure there is much value for any Browns RB and we may not get to see who will be the main ball carrier until week 5..... but again i am not sold on rainey or mcgahee and really not sold on anybody in this backfield..... but if desperate enough i may grab ogbonnaya ...not that desperate enough yet though

Some good points. I have agreed with the McGahee comments above. An old veteran seems like a backup. If the Browns are seeing what they want for the future why audition an old guy, that doesn't seem to make any sense. Seems like McG would fit the vet role like Brandon in NY.

But I don't think I agree with Ogbonnaya over Rainey. True, Ogb did it before but this is a new regime. They do not care about team seniority, they are starting fresh. And it looks like Rainey is a much better talent than Ogb. Plus if Rainey works it makes this new regime look good. I think Rainey may turn out to be good enough for spot starts. And the good thing about RBs is their good days are easier to predict.

• Like 1

Rainey was a workhorse in college......I know it was college in the Sun Belt conference at western kentucky i think.

But had over 300 carries and around 1500 rush and 13 tds average his junior and senior season

he is a bowling ball too. listed at 5foot 8 208lbs.

thoughts?

I only watched a couple of his highlights but he reminded me of a not super impressive Doug Martin clone if I had to pick a comparison.

I came away thinking he didn't run with enough power or speed to truly excel at anything but he could be a productive player in the right role, which seemed like a committee-3rd down back.

This. There is a reason the Ravens cut Rainey and only have 2 rbs on their roster. McGahee was strong in DEN last season and the year before. He can catches passes out of the backfield as well. Looks like CLE feels they can hit a HR next year.

So what is the reason that Cleveland picked up Rainey and had him no. 2 on their depth charts when Mcgahee was available?

So what is the reason that Cleveland picked up Rainey and had him no. 2 on their depth charts when Mcgahee was available?

Rainey is young and can be developed. McGahee is on his last legs.

With Trent leading the way there really wasn't another need for a competent NFL experienced back. Now there is.

In regards to mcgahee you all need to keep in mind that browns are going to be trailing in a lot of games and mcgahee obviously ain't a fit for a hurry up passing offense. Ogbonyana and rainey are. I guess id still rather have mcgahee for the redzone purposes but I don't see how he gets more than 12-13 carries a game. None of these guys are going to be difference makers on your team anyway. Don't worry well all be talking about marcel reece or isiah pead in a few weeks...now those guys could make a difference

the ravens liked rainey, particularly harbaugh. it was a special teams move mainly, but they liked his running and pass catching. i cant find the article, but it was around when he was cut by balt.

It seems to me like this would be the guy. Yet all the services are recommending Willie M. I don't get that. Willie M is old and was passed by many before him. Plus it looks like Cleveland is throwing it in this year. If that were the case why wouldn't you want to see what the young kid has going for him?

I would think they would give the gig to Rainey or Ogb, not Willis. Willie would be the backup, much like Brandon will be the backup to Wilson in NY.

Cleveland is obviously looking to the future, why on Earth would they then trot out an old slow RB. Doesn't seem to jive with their plans.

i have a similar line of thinking when i look at this situation.

I'm thinking it is going to be best to avoid this train wreck unless absolutely needed. I could see something similar to the Chargers' RBBC here.

I'm still temped here. He's still on the wire. Can't sell myself that McGahee will carry the load. Frankly, I expect his body will break down sooner rather than later - even coming in rested. And Ogbannaya needs to stay at FB, right? So why not try the more explosive Rainey? Not like CLE has anything to lose?

Idk but just tough to leave a possible starting RB on the wire.

I guess id still rather have mcgahee for the redzone purposes

This game situation with happen seldom, to none.

And you are right, 12 carries tops... He will not catch the ball, He will not have a run over 20 yds. He will not score, because this team will not score.

Cameron... Maybe Gordon are the only Browns that should be on anyone's FF team. Their offense will be no better than JAX. Consequently, their D is actually Top 10 IMO but it doesn't matter because ownership has given up... after two weeks.

From an unbiased fan that lives in the Cleveland area, this franchise completely disgusts me. I feel bad for my friends who are season ticket holders that get sucked into paying for this garbage year in, and year out.

We Rainey owners will be genius"s

Only owned by 10%

We Rainey owners will be genius"s

Only owned by 10%

Yep - still a FA in both of my leagues - can't seem to make room for him on my roster either but want to.

Still just don't see McGahee holding up and I think they need to keep Ogbanaya at FB, right? Do they have any other FB?

CLE's offense may not be as bad as it looked in weeks 1 & 2.

They played a fully healthy Dolphins Defense in week 1 and then had to play at BAL with the Ravens looking for blood after coming off their embarrassing season opener. The Browns played both of those games without their starting RG or Josh Gordon to stretch the field.

I think their staring RG is still a week or 2 away but Gordon comes back this week. And is Hoyer that much worse than Weeden?

Not sure exactly what this means Rainey but........

The Vikings defense isn't on par with Phins or Ravens and McGahee isn't going to be a full-go this week with just a couple of days to learn the playbook and get into game shape.

Seems like a solid opportunity for Rainey at the very least. I picked him up but surprised he's being mostly ignored.

this v

I'm not fully convinced a RB can't be productive in Cleveland and as a few people said it really comes down to QB play. They have Gordon back and Cameron obviously needs to be accounted for so they will help limit stacked boxes. In fact, with Trent gone the running lanes should be bigger because people aren't scared of the RBs. The Cleveland O-line is above average, they have talent, so if they start clicking and the pass game keeps teams honest they could produce a relevant RB. Just look at Hillis in 2010, the Browns are better now than they were back then. I know Hillis won a few people championships that year. Also, the defense is legit and will keep most games close so they'll have the ability to pound the rock if they want.

As far as who gets the touches, I'm thinking it's going to be Rainey's job to win or lose. Out of all the RBs that got cut from rosters before the season the Browns had no hesitation grabbing Rainey. Why? IMO, because they lost Dion Lewis and Rainey was the closest and most talented fit for waht they want to do. He doesn't have an NFL carry because he was behind Ray friggin' Rice not because he doesn't have talent. This kid has shown he can ball, his college stats prove that, and I've heard nothing but good things about him in both pre-seasons. It was just a case of being a talented RB on a team with an elite RB so he never got a shot. Pierce is the better (thunder) compliment to Rice but I don't necessarily think he is more talented than Rainey.

I don't think the Browns have given up on the season. They aren't the worst team in the league by any means (and I'm a Steelers fan) so they know they won't get Teddy over teams like the Jags or Oakland. This trade was a shrewd move on their part (never thought I'd say that) and while they are looking towards the future I think they also realize that finding out what they have and getting their young players some experience is very important. This regime might actually have their head on somewhat straight so I think they'll want to find out what they have in Rainey before just conceding and putting in McGahee. McGahee is just insurance or a compliment for Rainey is my rationale. Rainey has proven he can be a workhorse and despite what some people said he has the ideal build/measurables for it. He by FAR has the highest ceiling too.

Honestly, I tend to not listen to the "experts" in scenarios like this because most of them won't take a risk or think outside the box. They don't know who Rainey is so they just assume McGahee gets the job. I bet if you dig up articles form a few years ago that barely anyone saw Foster coming when Tate went down. Is he the next Foster? Probably not. But I like his odds a lot more than McGahee to be a fantasy asset and not just bye week filler. Yobogoya is what he is, a less talented/versatile Marcel Reece, so I doubt he does anything.

Rainey is also the return guy but it is hard to trust a blank slate

Stashed to see what happens

Anyone get to see how he looked on his touches? His 4 carries for 17 yards sure seems better than McGahee's 8 for 9. Did those come in base run formations? Browns should get their starting RG back in a week or two and shouldn't see too many stacked boxes with Gordon/Cameron. Anyone still think their could be potential here?

Has it been confirmed Rainey is starting yet? I read on twitter he was, but am not sure the credibility of the sources.

My buddy knows a guy named "Crazy Louie". Anyways, he says Rainey is the starter Week 4, so plug in with confidence.

Is anyone holding onto Bobby Rainey for another week?

I can't believe McGahee sold anyone at 1 yard per clip . And Ogbanaya is really a FB/3rd down back. It seems to me like the most upside for the Browns running game would be Rainey, no?

Yeah I'm holding Rainey for one more week. Matchup is terrible though so he doesn't have to be productive for me to hold onto him, I just have to see that he's being worked into the gameplan.

Also holding Willis... which means Ogbanaya is definitely going to end up being the guy to own here :overhead: