Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

**Official 2014 men's soccer World Cup thread**

In our office pool (40+ people at 25 bucks a pop) I am 14 for 14 in the knockout stage and tied for first.. Because I was behind a bit after group stage I chose Argentina to win it all. I understand Germany to be the favorite on Sunday. My question is this: with first place worth about 750 bucks, what is a fair chop?

After the 30 minutes OT, play Golden Goal... Penalty kicks is a dumb way to settle an outcome of a game after 120 minutes...

Man no kidding. Especially in a game of this magnitude.

It's like settling a tied NBA Finals game with a free throw off.

Man no kidding. Especially in a game of this magnitude.

It's like settling a tied NBA Finals game with a free throw off.

Or hockey going to a shootout. Oh wait.

Or hockey going to a shootout. Oh wait.

That is only during the regular season...

After the 30 minutes OT, play Golden Goal... Penalty kicks is a dumb way to settle an outcome of a game after 120 minutes...

Thats great...and what they do for the finals I believe.

You can't do that before then.

These guys could be playing another 30...then another 30...then another 30.

Without any more subs.

Just an awful idea from someone who doesn't care about it anyway.

Thats great...and what they do for the finals I believe.

You can't do that before then.

These guys could be playing another 30...then another 30...then another 30.

Without any more subs.

Maybe allow one extra sub for the 30 minutes...

The point is that let all of the players decide, not on something that is mostly luck...

Maybe allow one extra sub for the 30 minutes...

The point is that let all of the players decide, not on something that is mostly luck...

Players had 120 minutes to decide.

Players had 120 minutes to decide.

So give them more to decide the outcome as a team...

The problem again is that at least one of those teams will then have to recover for a championship game...in that kind of heat and crap.

Its just not that logical of an answer IMO>

The problem again is that at least one of those teams will then have to recover for a championship game...in that kind of heat and crap.

I don't think posty has any clue the amount of exertion it take to play a soccer game. A baseball game can go 100 innings and only the pitchers would be tired. That's his sport, so he can't wrap his head around a sport like soccer.

In our office pool (40+ people at 25 bucks a pop) I am 14 for 14 in the knockout stage and tied for first.. Because I was behind a bit after group stage I chose Argentina to win it all. I understand Germany to be the favorite on Sunday. My question is this: with first place worth about 750 bucks, what is a fair chop?

Last I saw, Germany was just better than 1 to 2 to win the World Cup. So for every 100 bet, you would get back a little over 50 on Germany. Argentina was just over 3 to 2. So every 100 you bet, you would get back just over 150.

So the fair chop based on the odds is probably about $470 to the guy with Germany and $280 to you.

I would start by offering him $400 and you get $350. I would probably take anything down to $300.

I don't think posty has any clue the amount of exertion it take to play a soccer game. A baseball game can go 100 innings and only the pitchers would be tired. That's his sport, so he can't wrap his head around a sport like soccer.

Give it up dude, I help coach my son's soccer team... I know what kind of exertion it takes...

Understandable, there just has to be a better way than PKs from that distance...

Give it up dude, I help coach my son's soccer team... I know what kind of exertion it takes...

I'm not talking about six year-olds, skippy.

There's a reason the World Cup gives teams 4 days between games. They need it. If a game can't be decided in regulation or two overtimes, they have to do something else. They can't have the players potentially playing 180 minutes straight. Assuming no one collapsed from exhaustion or heat stroke, they'd need two weeks before they'd be back at 100%.

I am 14 for 14 in the knockout stage

You too? :first:

Did you make your picks before or after Group play? Ours was before...

Runner up day

Brazil (-1/2 goal) @+112 for 5 units

OVER Brz/Neth (3) @+105 for 5 units

I believe the trend is that every runner up game has gone over the total since 1974. I bet on the OVER last time around, Germany won 4-2 over Uruguay. Had Germany too, so that was a nice day spent at the bar. Nobody cares about this game, so call it a Pro Bowl game while the Superbowl is tomorrow, so defense don't bother to show up. Meanwhile, Brazil is coming off a national embarrassment effort vs Germany while the Netherlands coach is b!tching about playing this game at all. So motivation has to be with Brazil. So....let's see what happens.

All over Germany tomorrow.

Based on the starting lineups, Netherlands isn't playing this like an exhibition game. Only made one change to their starting lineup. RVP, Robben, Sneijder all starting.

Brazil sent Fred, Hulk, Bernard, Fernandinho all to the bench.

I agree, there has to be a better way. You could alternate between teams giving them a corner kick or a free kick and let the team on defense have to clear the ball past the half line to end the play. That way at least the team on offense will have one set play to try and score off of and they won't have to worry about getting back on defense so they can put more players in the offensive zone.

You too? :first:

Did you make your picks before or after Group play? Ours was before...

Picks were done between the end of group play and the start of the knockout round. How did you do it before? Was the bracket like "Group 1 1st place vs Group 2 2nd place" ??

Picks were done between the end of group play and the start of the knockout round. How did you do it before? Was the bracket like "Group 1 1st place vs Group 2 2nd place" ??

Yep... The bracket was already setup on where the winner of group A was going and second place was going and against which group winner...

Runner up day

Brazil (-1/2 goal) @+112 for 5 units

OVER Brz/Neth (3) @+105 for 5 units

I believe the trend is that every runner up game has gone over the total since 1974. I bet on the OVER last time around, Germany won 4-2 over Uruguay. Had Germany too, so that was a nice day spent at the bar. Nobody cares about this game, so call it a Pro Bowl game while the Superbowl is tomorrow, so defense don't bother to show up. Meanwhile, Brazil is coming off a national embarrassment effort vs Germany while the Netherlands coach is b!tching about playing this game at all. So motivation has to be with Brazil. So....let's see what happens.

All over Germany tomorrow.

:dunno:

That is only during the regular season...

Olympic gold medal hockey game can go to a shootout

Olympic gold medal hockey game can go to a shootout

True and that is stupid as well...

Thank God the NHL gets rid of the stupid shootout in their playoffs...

Surprised and impressed by ratings for a non-US final. 26 mil + viewers and an overnight of 9.7

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/07/14/goooaaalll-world-cup-final-on-abc-highest-tv-rated-since-1994/

Soccer will fade back into obscurity now for four years, but this World Cup was a huge success in the US. From the USA escaping the group of death to advance to the knockout round, to the overall ratings throughout the event.

The World Cup, as an event, is now right there with all the other sports that are not NFL or NBA finals stuff.

From the Masters to the World Series and college football, The World Cup is right there with them.

And that's a pretty big deal considering that Team USA still isn't elite - more competitive than ever? yes. But no true superstars and not an elite team.

Soccer will fade back into obscurity now for four years, but this World Cup was a huge success in the US. From the USA escaping the group of death to advance to the knockout round, to the overall ratings throughout the event.

there are a couple of fun events coming up before the next WC: Gold Cup next year, the US hosts copa America in 2016 (i have heard they may invite some european clubs), the confederation cup in 2017, then back to WC in 2018. MLS is taking some necesary steps by signing some international players..... while not as exciting as WC, the future looks bright.

What was our final record? 1-1-1 or something?

Way to get excited about failure, Soccer Fans :doublethumbsup:

Soccer will fade back into obscurity now for four years,

64,000 at the Seattle-Portland match Sunday night. :dunno:

What was our final record? 1-1-1 or something?

Way to get excited about failure, Soccer Fans :doublethumbsup:

Failure? Most picked us to finish last in the group and not advance. We also lost 1-0 to the eventual champion. Oh, and not to mention that it took a miracle goal with 25 seconds left in extra time for Portugal to pull even and earn a tie with us. And they're the #4 ranked team in the world. Stick to rotating tires.