Sign in to follow this  
Gandalfthecat

Anyone down on Gio after his preseason?

Last year the kid looked like such an amazing talent, and seemed primed for a breakout, but man he's looked terrible.

Anyone have any insight?

where are you getting terrible from?

i haven't watched them but last night, and he didn't look great but the whole O was sluggish, and the zona D is pretty solid. I think he'll be ok, but there are likely some WRs that look more attractive to me at his ADP, so I likely won't end up with him tbh. He's got great talent but ginger is just not that good. Their schedule isn't terrible so I expect pretty solid production from him. He'll get a good 20 touches a game counting passes so he's going to get the work, and his talent will shine through over the duration of the year...

I'm not down much, but maybe I have tempered expectations. He is my RB2 and I'm good with that. What I will say is that I will not own him without also owning Jeremy Hill. I think both provide independent value but also each become a RB1 if the other goes down. I predict Hill will start with Gio for me several times this season.

i might be biased because i have him - but i am encouraged by how he is being used. He seems to be on the field a ton with the starters.

I'll take last year's much larger sample and a Hue Jackson offense over meaningless preseason games. If there's a concern about Gio, I'd say it relates mostly to Jeremy Hill; if he's really good, Bernard could find himself with less of a workload increase than everyone is expecting.

i haven't watched them but last night, and he didn't look great but the whole O was sluggish, and the zona D is pretty solid. I think he'll be ok, but there are likely some WRs that look more attractive to me at his ADP, so I likely won't end up with him tbh. He's got great talent but ginger is just not that good. Their schedule isn't terrible so I expect pretty solid production from him. He'll get a good 20 touches a game counting passes so he's going to get the work, and his talent will shine through over the duration of the year...

I couldn't of said it better !

Im not sold on him being "the guy". I think Hill is the best RB on that team, and Gio is a weapon who needs to be used as he was last season. I was not impressed at all with him last night, and say what you will about the preseason, you cant just completely ignore how a player looks. To me, I would rather him get 10-12 carries a game and be more involved in the passing game than seeing him get 15-18 carries a game. I think hes more effective in the first role I listed.

I guess well see though.

Was hoping for a little more from him in last nights warm up to the regular season, but even despite the losses on defense, AZ will field a pretty solid D this year.

As others have said, I am more optimistic simply based on how he is being used, which bodes well for a solid low RB1/high RB2 with even more upside in PPR.

J Hill will be his biggest problem .

Would love to have him, but not at his current ADP. Much better off taking a stud WR in rd 2 or an elite QB.

It's all about a players ADP, not him as a talent. We'd all take Gio in rd 3 or 4....

Would love to have him, but not at his current ADP. Much better off taking a stud WR in rd 2 or an elite QB.

It's all about a players ADP, not him as a talent. We'd all take Gio in rd 3 or 4....

Pretty much this

I think the real question is "Anyone going down on Gio after his preaseason?"

I would if it helped me win fantasy games.

I'm not worried about guys I see in preseason. Teams use vanilla playbooks, don't put everything into the games and generally just don't want to tip their hand to the whole league. Preseason is to get hit to shake the rust off and to evaluate young guys. It's not a barometer of how things are going to play out.

Gio will be a major disappointment for owners this yr.

Said from owner who doesn't have Gio in any leagues! :)

Their schedule is absolutely brutal. Open and close on the road, AFC North defenses 6 times, 3 game road trip, 5 of last 7 on the road, those 2 final home games vs. Steelers and Broncos. Throw in some shoot outs against Patriots, Saints, Falcons and Colts.

That being said, I see similar numbers as last year.

ADP has 0 carries and yards in preseason.

Worried? nah...

Talent don't evaporate overnight when you are 24 years old and no major injury.

Just relax and wait til week 6..

Was a dnd until at least the 3rd round when you can start gambling a bit on upside.

That is where I got him. 3.9 in a 12 team standard scoring. Of course we would like to see him do better in preseason, but way too much is put into preseason play.

I've been happy to see how they have used Gio. The ypc doesn't bother me because as said above the gameplans are mostly vanilla. I remember before the year that CJ became 2k he looked rather pedestrain in preseason. I think the offensive gameplan will be to get Gio the ball and when the season starts you will see more of a screen game. Hue Jackson made DMc look awesome and I expect the same with Gio.

so far he has looked bad. I know its the preseason but games do not get easier once the season starts. He had 170 carries last year as a rookie and is slated for 300 this year? That seems like a jump that makes him an injury risk. If I drafted him I would make DAMMMNNN sure I took hill. His adp is too rich for my blood.

^ There was talk of 300 TOUCHES.

He caught 56 balls last season and slot man Hawkins is on the Browns so he might see some time there too.

if he were used as a slut man instead of a rusher he would probably break all kinds of ppr records for rb. However I worry about how bad he has looked so far, the fact that hill is a breakout waiting to happen and the increase in touches still even if its 5 to 6 more touches a game.

Not at all. In fact count me as another person who has been encouraged by how he has been used in the preseason. Hue Jackson has also already been mentioned.

I think he'll at least duplicate what he did last year receiving, and even with Hill his rushing numbers have to go up. Safe pick with big upside.

You shouldn't be down on him if you drafted him as your RB2. Ever year people freak out during preseason. Sometimes they're right, but many times they're wrong. Until teams are playing with full playbooks, everything else should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last year as the season wore on he wore down. in his last 4 games including the playoffs he had a paltry 2.35 yards per rush on 51 attempts. You expect him to get BETTER with more touches? I expect him to break down. Making hill a very good handcuff.

if he were used as a slut man instead of a rusher he would probably break all kinds of ppr records for rb. However I worry about how bad he has looked so far, the fact that hill is a breakout waiting to happen and the increase in touches still even if its 5 to 6 more touches a game.

He better not be used as a slut man. I paid $52 for him in an auction and that's more than I spend on sluts. Even a PPR slut man.

He better not be used as a slut man. I paid $52 for him in an auction and that's more than I spend on sluts. Even a PPR slut man.

Thats why the title of the the thread should ask who is going down on gio.

I like the idea of a rb playing the slut in a ppr. In regular leagues that would decrease his value. Plus if that were to happen he would have to wear a shirt that says "I am a big ol slut" on it and no one wants that.