Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

AP is a child abuser

Holy crap, I didn't know the kid was just 4. My daughter is 4. Can't imagine her getting beat like that.

What the hell is wrong with Peterson? How can any sane person do that to a little kid?

'Roids

The kid is focking FOUR YEARS OLD. You people defending his conduct are seriously sick :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

You prolly shouldn't read the mange bored then.

The kid is focking FOUR YEARS OLD. You people defending his conduct are seriously sick :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I completely agree it's way too excessive for 4 yrs old. 10-12, ok I can see. But 4 can't be held accountable like that.

But I'm telling you that's just black folks way, every one if them on twitter is saying the same thing, that's its par for the course and they mama beat them way worse. The cultural divide is going to hurt this case tho. This is similar to the dogfighting scandal. Dogfighting is very common in the south and no big deal, like Clinton Portis said that one time. But to us it's savage and cruel. I donno, I'm just in shock that my fav rb in the game is in this situation and the thought of never seeing him play again makes me sick. I may go cry now.

But I'm telling you that's just black folks way

I wouldn't paint with such a broad brush, but extremely tough discipline does seem more common among blacks and Latinos. Domestic violence too.

But I don't think that's indicative of the majority of those groups. Just disproportionately more.

I wouldn't paint with such a broad brush, but extremely tough discipline does seem more common among blacks and Latinos. Domestic violence too.

But I don't think that's indicative of the majority of those groups. Just disproportionately more.

It appears it may be more common among AA: http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/10/researchers-african-americans-most-likely-to-use-physical-punishment/

A switch, a belt, a shoe, a hand. Paddling, whipping, whupping, spanking. The instruments and language of corporal punishment vary, but what connects them is how often they are employed as parenting tools.

Researchers who study corporal punishment say that parents of all ethnic groups, socioeconomic categories and education levels practice some form of physical punishment with their children.

“The majority of parents across all ethnic groups spank at some point,” said Elizabeth Gershoff, a professor and researcher on corporal punishment at the University of Texas at Austin.

But among the groups most likely to use it: African-Americans.

In a study Gershoff co-authored that examined 20,000 kindergartners and their parents, she found that 89% of black parents, 79% of white parents, 80% of Hispanic parents and 73% of Asian parents said they have spanked their children.

But why do so many black parents approve of disciplining their children that way? The answer is complicated, experts said.

Some researchers have suggested it's a legacy left by the brutality of slavery. Some say it's rooted in fear - that if parents don’t use force to demand obedience, someone else will. Others said African-American parents, in aggregate, are disproportionately lower-income, have less education and are more likely to follow a religion that implores them not to spare the rod for fear of spoiling the child - all factors that correlate with use of corporal punishment, regardless of race.

Numerous studies have pointed to negative consequences for all children who are spanked, regardless of parents' race, ethnicity, income-level or education level. Kids who are physically punished face higher risk of anxiety and depression, higher rates of aggression toward others and a more distant relationship with their parent, Gershoff said. Those risks are in addition to the risk of injury from parents who cross the line from a hard smack on a behind - still damaging, researchers said - to abuse that leaves children bruised or bleeding.

Dr. Alvin F. Poussaint, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who has studied mental health issues and parenting in African-American communities, is a leading voice against corporal punishment. It’s an uphill battle.

“It’s culturally embedded in America that spanking is a legitimate and good way to discipline children. But the fact is, nearly all studies, except for a few, say it is not a good way of disciplining and can actually produce damage,” Poussaint said. “We have such damage in the black community, when you add to that parents beating their kids, it’s sending the message that violence is an OK way to solve problems.”

Nevertheless, Poussaint said, questioning corporal punishment can provoke a defensive or angry reaction from parents.

“Usually some people stand up and say, ‘Well, I was beaten as a kid and I turned out pretty well.’ Well, did they?” Poussaint said. “If you dig more deeply, you don’t really know that… beating may have left scars in them that they don’t really understand.”

Poussaint dismisses the biblical imperative so often used as a justification for corporal punishment as “a tired excuse.”

“Violence begets violence, anger begets anger, and the loss of control makes it all worse,” he said.

I completely agree it's way too excessive for 4 yrs old. 10-12, ok I can see. But 4 can't be held accountable like that.

But I'm telling you that's just black folks way, every one if them on twitter is saying the same thing, that's its par for the course and they mama beat them way worse. The cultural divide is going to hurt this case tho. This is similar to the dogfighting scandal. Dogfighting is very common in the south and no big deal, like Clinton Portis said that one time. But to us it's savage and cruel. I donno, I'm just in shock that my fav rb in the game is in this situation and the thought of never seeing him play again makes me sick. I may go cry now.

WTF. Hitting a kid with a tree branch is not OK for a child of any age.

WTF. Hitting a kid with a tree branch is not OK for a child of any age.

How about a belt?

I remember when i was young, my mom was tired of me being underfoot and sent me outside to play. They were building a house nearby and i was fascinated at the construction. I watched them for hours. Later that night during dinner my dad asked me what i did that day, i told him about the house building thing. He asked if i learned anything. I proceeded to tell him that if the fockin door doesnt fit you have to shave a cuunthair off each side. He stands up all red faced and tells me to go get a switch. I reply.. Fock you thats the electricians job.

How about a belt?

Most blacks can't aford no belt. Hitting them with the rope around their waist don't work to well. Hence a stick. :(

I wonder if they will think to look at the other kids for scars and ask them about getting hit (with what ever). The four year old said that daddy has a lot of belts and a spanking room...

4 is a little young. I remember getting the belt, switch, large wooden spoons, yard stick, shoe, basically whatever my mom could grab at that particular moment. I had welts many times. The ear grab and twist. The grab by the hair just above the neck and lift. My parents would be considered child abusers by today's puzzy standards.

4 is a little young. I remember getting the belt, switch, large wooden spoons, yard stick, shoe, basically whatever my mom could grab at that particular moment. I had welts many times. The ear grab and twist. The grab by the hair just above the neck and lift. My parents would be considered child abusers by today's puzzy standards.

Yeah...that 4 year old is a puzzy for not taking his beating like a man.

Never mind cuts on his ass, legs, and nuts...

Sorry...but at no time in history should this have been acceptable parenting.

I love the attitude.

"I got abused, so what's the big deal?"

So you have no permanent psychological damage from the abuse your parents doled out. Good for you. Doesn't make it right in any circumstance.

Smacking kids on the ass with an open hand in a situation where they're out of control or putting themselves in harm's way is one thing. Beating kids with objects for pushing another kid off a bike is focking lazy parenting for dumbasses who lack the ability to choose a better course.

• Like 1

But I'm telling you that's just black folks way, every one if them on twitter is saying the same thing, that's its par for the course and they mama beat them way worse. The cultural divide is going to hurt this case tho.

Hitting a kid with a switch is a country thing not a black thing. I had an Aunt that would spank me with a switch when I was a kid. She'd even make me go pick the switch for her to use on me. If I came back with some poosay little flimsy branch she would go get a "better" one. I'd walk away with a few welts but she never broke the skin as far as I remember. It's old school country discipline.

This

I love the attitude.

So you have no permanent psychological damage from the abuse your parents doled out. Good for you. Doesn't make it right in any circumstance.

Smacking kids on the ass with an open hand in a situation where they're out of control or putting themselves in harm's way is one thing. Beating kids with objects for pushing another kid off a bike is focking lazy parenting for dumbasses who lack the ability to choose a better course.

And this.

Which part of 4 is a little young did you guys not get :dunno:

Which part of 4 is a little young did you guys not get :dunno:

At what age do you find it appropriate to leave cuts on a child's legs, ass, back and nuts?

I love the attitude.

Again, which part of 4 is a little young did you guys not get :dunno: I was older then 4 when I got my whoopings. It was a spanking, I got over it in about an hour. Usually I deserved it. I learned to either be a little more sneaky or accept my punishment for my behavior. I knew what would happen if I broke the rules. It tought me accountability for my actions.

At what age do you find it appropriate to leave cuts on a child's legs, ass, back and nuts?

Never on the nuts. You guys are acting as if these are deep lacerations that needed stitches. They will heal....I promise. Welts and a little broken skin will not hurt forever. Like I said, I've seen worse injures from falling down running, or bicycle wrecks. I'd say 6 or older is fine with me.

I'm not talking everyday type beatings or spankings, but if the kid is out of line bad enough to warrant it, so be it. You bleeding hearts act like this never happens. It has fir decades and people turn out just fine. I guess the world needs a time out......those work fabulously.

Never on the nuts. You guys are acting as if these are deep lacerations that needed stitches. They will heal....I promise. Welts and a little broken skin will not hurt forever. Like I said, I've seen worse injures from falling down running, or bicycle wrecks. I'd say 6 or older is fine with me.

I'm not talking everyday type beatings or spankings, but if the kid is out of line bad enough to warrant it, so be it. You bleeding hearts act like this never happens. It has fir decades and people turn out just fine. I guess the world needs a time out......those work fabulously.

Four years old. Yeah kids can get hurt but it shouldn't come from dad. Not like that

Four years old. Yeah kids can get hurt but it shouldn't come from dad. Not like that

I said 4 is too young for that.

Again, which part of 4 is a little young did you guys not get :dunno: I was older then 4 when I got my whoopings. It was a spanking, I got over it in about an hour. Usually I deserved it. I learned to either be a little more sneaky or accept my punishment for my behavior. I knew what would happen if I broke the rules. It tought me accountability for my actions.

A spanking and a beating are two different things. What you got and wha APs kid got were beatings.A beating is inappropriate at any age.

A spanking and a beating are two different things. What you got and wha APs kid got were beatings.A beating is inappropriate at any age.

He got a whipping, which is even worse than a beating IMO. Poor little kid still had fresh lacerations a week later :(

I can't believe that anyone is advocating hitting their kids with anything but an open hand. WTF is wrong with you people?

And this is coming from the kid hater... How the fock am I the voice of reason?

I can't believe that anyone is advocating hitting their kids with anything but an open hand. WTF is wrong with you people?

And this is coming from the kid hater... How the fock am I the voice of reason?

You have common sense. It's rare here.

Yes....the world stopped when kids got a whopping and it left marks. Jesus what a bunch of babies. I guarantee this kid will be fine. AP turned out to be a multimillionaire world class RB.....oh the humanity.

Falling down running and bicycle wrecks are accidents. Not injuries inflicted by an authority figure you are supposed to be able to trust.

Im not anti spanking. I think there is a place for it.

I do not think there is a place to find a "weapon" like a switch that has the ability to cause welts or break skin.

Nobody is acting like it never happens. I know too well that it does and has for a long time.

That they "turn out fine" does not make the action right at all.

Yes....the world stopped when kids got a whopping and it left marks. Jesus what a bunch of babies. I guarantee this kid will be fine. AP turned out to be a multimillionaire world class RB (who inappropriately beat his 4 year old).....oh the humanity.

Fixed it for you.

Not saying it's "right", but you guys are acting like he killed the kid. Spanking with a "weapon" (which I find laughable) is insane. It's a switch that left welts. He didn't knock teeth out, or beat him unconscious, cause deep skin damage. He left welts and in some of the pics, barely broke skin. This is a spanking that left welts. It happens. Is the kid young....yes. Open hand spankings can leave welts and red marks. Paddling can leave red marks and welts. Ban them all. Only use words....I guess.

I got spanked and hit with a belt as a kid. In hindsight I thought my Dad was a little out of control when he turned to the belt.

I'm an advocate of spanking if done for the right reasons, but when you use a weapon, you are just an out of control adult beating a kid because you are pissed off.

Forgive me if I missed it..... but why isn't this episode considered an act of domestic violence? Shouldn't AP now be suspended for at least 6 games?