Sign in to follow this  
rholio

Top 3 Western Movies

Spinoff from the Tombstone thread... what are your three favorite westerns? If we get some concensus, will make a pole to determine the #1 western movie.

Mine:

Tombstone

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Rio Bravo

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

True Grit(2010)

The Wild Bunch.

So many good ones to choose(and I've seen a lot of westerns) limiting to a top 3 some great one just miss the cut. Josey Wales is a fav, but the third act falls apart a little. 3:10 to Yuma, such great performances, Crowe & Foster are so good in that movie. Unforgiven, might be Eastwoods best movie as a director and actor(he's really a one trick pony as an actor). Open Range, High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, The Shootist all deserve mention. My final cut was Once Upon a Time in the West, critically it's held in higher regard than Good/Bad/Ugly, but GBU always gets my vote because of the incredible character Eli Wallach creates, maybe my outlaw in all of Western film.

Unforgiven

McCabe & Mrs Miller

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Have not seen a ton of westerns but those are three of my favorites

The Long Riders

Tombstone

Unforgiven

Wyatt Earp was pretty good but the Long Riders is clearly my favorite followed closely by Tombstone

Blazing Saddles

They Call Me Trinity

Trinity is Still My Name

the good, the bad and the ugly

dances with wolves

magnificent 7

and yes, blazing saddles was good but more comedy than real western

The Long Riders

Lonesome Dove

The Wild Bunch

This guy knows stuff

• Like 1

Damn - hard to pick just 3.

Good, Bad and the Ugly

Rio Bravo

Chisum (just a personal fav, def not a top 3 of all time)

Lonesome Dove (also the best novel ever written for my money)

Josey Wales

Open Range

Personal fav vote - The Cowboys

This guy knows stuff

How can you not love a movie where Walter Hill used all real life brothers to play all the outlaw brothers.

How can you not love a movie where Walter Hill used all real life brothers to play all the outlaw brothers.

:thumbsup:

It would be in my top 5/6 for sure. Great performances and action sequences.

Unforgiven was one of the best... except - I love Morgan Freeman and all, but I just didn't buy the negro gun fighter role. And the part where he chickens out "I just can't do it Will." Wtf? He rode 100+ miles and used to be a tough gunfighter, but all of a sudden he gets a conscious? Ridiculous.

I don't know if it's officially a western but the greatest movie of that era is Jeremiah Johnson. Amazing how many people haven't seen it.

Jose Wales was great, but I have to deduct a couple points because the retarded chick was just annoying.

Good, Bad, Ugly was excellent. Wallach is the king of banditos in westerns. Only gripe was Clint shooting people's hats off Lone Ranger style... kinda cheesy.

Lonesome Dove is perhaps Robert Duval's greatest work ever. Only wish they'd cast anyone else for the kid's role except Silver Spoons.

Lonesome Dove is perhaps Robert Duval's greatest work ever. Only wish they'd cast anyone else for the kid's role except Silver Spoons.

I thought Schroeder was very good in that role.

DYK, partially based on his perfomance in "The Great Santini", the producers of Lonesome Dove wanted Duvall to play Captain Call. He said he would only do it if he could play Gus.

Rio Bravo??? Ugh... might have been good when the public was starved for entertainment, but nowadays it just seems corny.

Rio Bravo??? Ugh... might have been good when the public was starved for entertainment, but nowadays it just seems corny.

Rio Bravo is the epitome of what a western actual is (imo). Today's versions are so modernized that you just don't get that "western" movie feel to it. Then you consider the cast of characters in this film - homerun.

I recently watched a western with Paul Newman called "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean"

At first I thought how is it even possible that I've never heard of this movie? An old western with Paul frikin Newman!?! Then I watched it. Now I know why I'd never heard of it. What a piece of crap. Still can't believe Newman actually agreed to it.

Today's versions are so modernized that you just don't get that "western" movie feel to it.

What you call modernized I call realistic.

If I recall there's a singing cowboy in Rio Bravo. Nuf said.

Rio Bravo is the epitome of what a western actual is (imo). Today's versions are so modernized that you just don't get that "western" movie feel to it. Then you consider the cast of characters in this film - homerun.

I agree with the first half of your statement, disagree with the 2nd. 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit, Appaloosa are westerns, just evolved like everything else has over time. Like saying a Corvette isn't a Corvette cause today's model is different than the the '63 Stingray.

Tombstone

Meh... Val Kilmer and Kurt Russel are good in a lot of movies but the western genre ain't their bag. That movie would have been better with unknown actors in those roles.

Meh... Val Kilmer and Kurt Russel are good in a lot of movies but the western genre ain't their bag. That movie would have been better with unknown actors in those roles.

Yeah, it's not like Kilmer's Doc Holiday has become iconic or anything. :thumbsup:

What you call modernized I call realistic.

If I recall there's a singing cowboy in Rio Bravo. Nuf said.

You think today's western versions are more realistic than that of the old days? Wow - not even close. Today's westerns are filmed in high definition and with Dolby digital technology. There's absolutely no nostalgic feel to it... Unforgiven and Tombstone for examples - both incredibly, great movies. But you def could feel like they were shot in a studio last week... It's like listening to old records, actual records. Sure cds and downloads are of better technical quality - but there is no replacing the sound of that record spinning and the needle signing like it did back when I was a kid.

And the signing part of Rio Bravo was fantastic. Cowboys signing and harmonicas were very western staples. Toss in the fact it was Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson? Sheesh - another homerun.

Yeah, it's not like Kilmer's Doc Holiday has become iconic or anything. :thumbsup:

:D

You think today's western versions are more realistic than that of the old days? Wow - not even close. Today's westerns are filmed in high definition and with Dolby digital technology. There's absolutely no nostalgic feel to it... Unforgiven and Tombstone for examples - both incredibly, great movies. But you def could feel like they were shot in a studio last week... It's like listening to old records, actual records. Sure cds and downloads are of better technical quality - but there is no replacing the sound of that record spinning and the needle signing like it did back when I was a kid.

And the signing part of Rio Bravo was fantastic. Cowboys signing and harmonicas were very western staples. Toss in the fact it was Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson? Sheesh - another homerun.

Neither Tombstone or Unforgiven was shot in HD, both were shot on film.

Neither Tombstone or Unforgiven was shot in HD, both were shot on film.

Really? Hum - well still not the same feel as an older film.

Really? Hum - well still not the same feel as an older film.

We're going to agree to disagree about the feel, cause nothing makes me cringe more when watching the old westerns, then back lot sets, over-saturated film stock, silly wardrobes and every day-for-night scene. Prefer modern cinematgraphy versus old western style.

1) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

2) The Outlaw Josie Wales

3) Unforgiven

4) Blazing Saddles

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Outlaw Josey Wales

hard to list just 3, could change in a minute there were so many great ones

I don't know if it's officially a western but the greatest movie of that era is Jeremiah Johnson. Amazing how many people haven't seen it.

I saw that when I was little and liked it, but never saw it as an adult so I don't really remember it. I just remember liking it.

I guess that saying is true, "At the end of the day, people won't remember what you said or did, they'll remember how you made them feel."

In this case, I don't remember the movie, but remembered it was good.

I also remember liking the movie, "Shane" but I don't remember why.

There is also a western movie that I think I liked, but I don't even remember the name at all or even the story line...it had a woman in it that was sort of mean or like strong, loud, and I get the feeling she was a bad character but she knew how to shoot a gun well. I remember she had short brown curly hair, I think. I remember thinking that was a good western. Anybody have any idea what movie I'm talking about?? Maybe she was a robber or a saloon owner....or in love with some guy that by the end didn't love her....I think there another woman in it too who was strong...geez.......what's her name......she was later in her own tv show, in a western......she was also in that movie where she fooled some guy into murder I think to get insurance money....fck....what is her name....she's famous........maureen.....idemnity....indem...brb...will google.

Barbara Stanwyck was in it, I think, I think.

No, Barbara Stanwyck wasn't in this movie.

Off to Google.

Geezus, the movie I'm talking about is called Johnny Guitar with Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge. No wonder I couldn't remember it.

Blazing Saddles

Tombstone
A Million Ways to Die in the West