Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Sammie Coates, Steelers

Coates is one of the several "body-beautiful" receivers in this draft, but like Breshard Perriman, he is an unpolished route-runner that drops too many balls. Furthermore, he is clearly blocked by Martavis Bryant as the big speed receiver who can be a quality red-zone option for Ben Roethlisberger. To his credit, the Auburn alum can seemingly get behind any defense and played big in big games as a Tiger. Also working in Coates' favor is the Steelers' track record for hitting on receivers. I have doubts about Coates making much of a Year 1 impact and tend to believe he is worth no more than a late second-round pick in rookie drafts.

They might be prone to using him in the slot to help create mis-matches. By the way, he was 9 out of 10 in catching passes over 20 yards. I think the drops are getting overblown a bit. Clearly, he's a big play guy.

Years away from being any kind of fantasy factor.

as we said about Bryant last year.

Truth is Wheaton hardly has stronghold on a top 3 WR spot

as we said about Bryant last year.

Truth is Wheaton hardly has stronghold on a top 3 WR spot

And Wheaton is not fantasy relevant. The Pittsburgh offense can sustain two fantasy WRs, that's Brown and Bryant.

Ive been trying to trade Wheaton since the day I drafted him. Absolutely zero interest even from teams who had no depth at all at WR.

This pick means I am going to drop him in final cut downs.

And Wheaton is not fantasy relevant. The Pittsburgh offense can sustain two fantasy WRs, that's Brown and Bryant.

You mean the Steelers who passed just short of 5,000 yards?

You mean the Steelers who passed just short of 5,000 yards?

Yep, that's the one. In a 10 or 12 team league that offense will sustain two fantasy relevant WRs, as well as a TE and RB. In a 14 or larger league Wheaton comes into play.

• Like 1

I grabbed him as a sleeper in the draft and unfortunately for the most part he continued to sleep. I'd play him in a deeper league, but my big concern is that he doesn't seem to get a lot of targets. He's fast, so a 40 yard gain on a throw is very doable, but I'm not quite sure he's there yet. I suppose things could change, but given his progression, he's a guy I'm keeping an eye on, but I really don't have room to stash him.

Coates led the Steelers in receiving yards and targets (8) last week. The targets have been going up, though he hasn't scored a TD yet.

Against the very burnable Jet secondary, that's likely to change. Very quietly he's on pace for 1128 receiving yards.

Not a bad bye week fill in guy. Clearly the deep threat, is emerging as the #3 option there by taking over as the starting outside receiver opposite of Brown. Wheaton, and Rodgers will still take some of the targets away from him, but he is clearly on a different level of those guys in terms of talent. He's a good receiver to have as he can be a spot start right now, and offers second half of the year upside.

Coates led the Steelers in receiving yards and targets (8) last week. The targets have been going up, though he hasn't scored a TD yet.

Against the very burnable Jet secondary, that's likely to change. Very quietly he's on pace for 1128 receiving yards.

I don't think he will be consistent, nor do I think it will continue quite the same way. Rodgers being out has put a little extra focus on Coates, but he will be back and take away some of the opportunities.

I don't think he will be consistent, nor do I think it will continue quite the same way. Rodgers being out has put a little extra focus on Coates, but he will be back and take away some of the opportunities.

I wish I had Coates, he is about to add TDs to that formula soon. People thinking Rodgers has anything to do with this are way off. Coates is the exact deep threat that Bryant once provided. And he is big enough to do well in the redzone

I wish I had Coates, he is about to add TDs to that formula soon. People thinking Rodgers has anything to do with this are way off. Coates is the exact deep threat that Bryant once provided. And he is big enough to do well in the redzone

I'm trying to get him, but I simply cannot convince myself that he's Martavis Bryant 2.0 at this point. He's got a great yards per catch right now, but I just don't see him being the game changer that Bryant is.

I'm trying to get him, but I simply cannot convince myself that he's Martavis Bryant 2.0 at this point. He's got a great yards per catch right now, but I just don't see him being the game changer that Bryant is.

In 11 games last year Bryant had 765 yards and 6 TDs, with three games over 100 yards and 6 under 50. Coates could easily duplicate and exceed Bryants numbers if he continues to improve.

Nailed it. Am I right?

• Like 1

It's good to have long arms to be able to pat ones self on the back.

• Like 1

:banana: :banana:

Nailed it. Am I right?

Picked up Coates when I dumped Josh Gordon. Needed the boost at WR for week #5... What do you think about the drops? I know his finger was cut today...

I choose to put on my rose-colored glasses and focus on the silver lining of the disconcerting drops that were occurring mid-game - opportunity was coming Coates' way and I think it will continue to come his way in the weeks to come. Note that Ben still made some throws his way and that he began securing those targets in the last part of today's game.

i got lucky getting him last week.. i had lost Allen week one and Woodhead week 2.. so i had been looking for a guy for wr2 / flex..

im thrilled.. couldnt have happened at a better time.

good on weepaws. ty Sir.

We should temper expectations here because the Jets may have the slowest and worst secondary in the NFL.

It's good to have long arms to be able to pat ones self on the back.

Paws,

Man, I owe you. First on Coates, then on Tevin Coleman. Unfortunately i didn't play Coleman, but instead played Smalls, but I still won thanks to Coates. I will make sure before I set my lineup next week I talk with you. You are the man!

TM

i got lucky getting him last week.. i had lost Allen week one and Woodhead week 2.. so i had been looking for a guy for wr2 / flex..

im thrilled.. couldnt have happened at a better time.

good on weepaws. ty Sir.

For me, the lucky part was the windy weather in Baltimore. Otherwise I would have been content to start DeSean Jackson.

The kid is making me look more and more wrong each week. on pace for 51/1123/5 TD this season and just getting comfortable in the offense. he dropped 3 big passes yesterday that if he hangs onto we could be talking about him have 4 TD's vs the Jets. Damn you Martavis Bryant...imagine if they had Antonio Brown and BOTH Coates and Bryant on the field. 40 pts a game.

• Like 1

The kid is making me look more and more wrong each week. on pace for 51/1123/5 TD this season and just getting comfortable in the offense. he dropped 3 big passes yesterday that if he hangs onto we could be talking about him have 4 TD's vs the Jets. Damn you Martavis Bryant...imagine if they had Antonio Brown and BOTH Coates and Bryant on the field. 40 pts a game.

Actually, Sammie Coates is on pace for 1347 yards receiving and 6 TDs.

I'm starting him this week, so count on 2 targets, 40 yards, and a fumble.

This! I finally got rid of DeSean and am rolling Coates at flex. Now to get rid of Hill...

Nailed it. Am I right?

Indeed you were.

Actually, Sammie Coates is on pace for 1347 yards receiving and 6 TDs.

Even better!

And now his hand is in cast.

But that shouldn't impede his catching "ability" any further. :lol:

And now his hand is in cast.

But that shouldn't impede his catching "ability" any further. :lol:

LOL.

He will be no worse than he has demonstrated. Coates is basically Ted Ginn on steroids.