Sign in to follow this  
Bier Meister

French Onion soup

FO soup.....

1 red onion (finely sliced)

1 yellow onion (finely sliced)
1 c marsala
1/4 c sweet vermouth
5 c beef stock (or a combo of beef and chicken)
1/2 c cup sherry
3 bay leaves
3 springs of thyme
3 branches of parsley
5-10 peppercorns

slowly saute onions in large pot over low/me heat for about 2-3 hrs. stir every 10 min... the longer you go the more frequently you need to stir. i add a couple of ounces of water every 10-15 min and bring it au sec. deglaze with marsala and vermouth. reduce by half. add stock. bring heat up.. bring to boil.. then simmer for about 30 min- 1 hr. create a seasoning bag (sachet) with cheese cloth (or coffee filter and string).... put the bay leaves, parsley, thyme and peppercorn in.... add sachet to soup for the duration of simmering... then discard... add sherry..... something else i used to do was add parm or gruyere rind to the soup while simmering. season with s&p.

best served with gruyere melted over toasted baguette slices via broiler

• Like 1

Excuse me while I drool....

Wait... you don't melt the cheese over the top? :(

you can do it one of two ways:

1. place crostini in bowl. top with cheese. melt under broiler (preferred)

2. melt cheese on crostini then place in bowl

I only make Freedom Soup. :bandana:

fatty, flavorless, and entitled?

• Haha 1

Bah, this recipe is pointless if you don't roast and render your own shank bones. Well, strike that. Not your own shank bones. That would be fuking painful. And you couldn't stand up after that. But shank bones you obtain from the butcher that originally came from you know a cow.

• Like 1

Bah, this recipe is pointless if you don't roast and render your own shank bones. Well, strike that. Not your own shank bones. That would be fuking painful. And you couldn't stand up after that. But shank bones you obtain from the butcher that originally came from you know a cow.

:lol:

Bier, I assume a dry not sweet Marsala wine, no?

• Like 1

I see you put bay leaves in satchel and remove. I have had French onion soup 3 times in the last month in 2 different states and all three times the bay leaf was left in.

:mad:

certainly better with hm stock. in every restaurant i have worked, we made a lot of stock. often we then made a remoulage (second stock from the same bones). used the remi for FO soup.

:lol:

Bier, I assume a dry not sweet Marsala wine, no?

sweet, but try the dry if you prefer

I see you put bay leaves in satchel and remove. I have had French onion soup 3 times in the last month in 2 different states and all three times the bay leaf was left in.

:mad:

rebel life bitches :headbanger:

I like this when its done right, but most French Onion soups are way too salty for me. :dunno:

I like this when its done right, but most French Onion soups are way too salty for me. :dunno:

what typically happens.... a place makes a large batch, which is fine. if it is served for lunch and dinner then the staff reheats it and holds it warm. over it time reduces and intensifies. they need to taste it every hour to see if needs adjustments.

Got some the other day at the colonial diner in Middletown NY... Was pretty decent. The hostess had a few miles on her but was still a pretty hot Greek woman. :wub: clock was ticking though.

Slice the onions so you get thin circles or half and slice? What do you saute onions in for 3 hours? A bit of butter or oil?

How much soup does this make?

Slice the onions so you get thin circles or half and slice? What do you saute onions in for 3 hours? A bit of butter or oil?

How much soup does this make?

half the onions. slice thinly. i used to make much larger batches and used a deli slicer.

i have used both oil and butter at different times. go with canola oil.

this makes about six 8oz portions.

something i used to do is put in gruyere rinds. then pull them out when done. you can use red wine and marsla/madiera. play with flavors.

edit:

one of my favorite versions included red onion, yellow onion, shallot, leeks, and scallions

40 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Bump...im gonna make this over the holidays

NEVER didn’t have diarrhea immediately after finishing a bowl of French onion.

Like a laxative for me.

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

NEVER didn’t have diarrhea immediately after finishing a bowl of French onion.

Like a laxative for me.

:banana:I know what we're makin AD when he comes out to visit! :banana:

I love FO soup. It’s always such a let down when it isn’t good. Mostly because they don’t take the time to burn the cheese a little, and  it’s stringy. Same goes for split pea. Can’t get split pea with ham around here because of the Jews. It’s just smashed up peas without the ham. 

On 10/18/2015 at 10:27 AM, Bier Meister said:

fatty, flavorless, and entitled?

:lol:  Well played!

I watched the Julia childs episode on french onion soup, in black and white. She did not cook like these modern shows, she was a legit chef. She used homemade beef broth in her recipe.

It is on the list of recipes I want to master someday, however due to the lengthy time it takes to make homemade broth I have not cooked it once yet.

And if you're really serious about this? Add a solid Brown Stout. Just a little bit as the base with the onions.

36 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I love FO soup. It’s always such a let down when it isn’t good. Mostly because they don’t take the time to burn the cheese a little, and  it’s stringy. Same goes for split pea. Can’t get split pea with ham around here because of the Jews. It’s just smashed up peas without the ham. 

Split pea soup is best served by catholics.

While wearing a nightgown, bed- ridden and vomiting profusely.

29 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I watched the Julia childs episode on french onion soup, in black and white. She did not cook like these modern shows, she was a legit chef. She used homemade beef broth in her recipe.

It is on the list of recipes I want to master someday, however due to the lengthy time it takes to make homemade broth I have not cooked it once yet.

3 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

This is where youre wrong:

Cippolini.

Red onions? Jesus

Every restaurant I worked in, I used either 1st or 2nd stock

i like using a medley of onions.  

I’m a big fan of Brussels sprouts and usually roast them in the oven with maybe a quarter inch of water in the pan. I once used French onion soup instead of water and it was absolutely focking awesome, highly recommended for BS fans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Every restaurant I worked in, I used either 1st or 2nd stock

i like using a medley of onions.  

You know I am the culinary Thanos to your Rachel Ray Hawkeye, right?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

On my way. 

it's ready.  for not having HM stock, i am pretty happy with it

• Thanks 1

I've never been a fan, but maybe that's because I've never had a good bowl of it.  I might try this.  Thanks Bier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peenie said:

I wish I could steal you! You love to cook good food! :wub:

No man is cooking for a female that doesn't suck cack. Back to ramen for you pookles