Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

The Sound of Silence original and cover....Thoughts?

Loved me some Simon and Garfunkel growing up. :wub:

The harmonization between those two was / is mesmerizing to me.

Now, what do you think about Disturbed's cover of it? (Seriously, give it a chance till the end)

Let's see. On one hand we have Art Garfunkel, likey one of the most technically sound voices in the last 40 years.

Then we have a guy who sounds like Chocolate Rain guy with an autotune.

Gonna give a slight edge to the original. :wacko:

The original is lyrically one of the finest pieces of poetry written in the 20th century. And the performance makes my top ten list for best songs of all time.

The cover is a nu metal butchering of a focking classic.

When you have the balls to cover a Mount Rushmore song like that, you better focking BRING SOMETHING. They failed.

But since most disturbed fans are under the age of 30, they will think it is the original and love it. Boys are finger banging their girlfriends who got moist hearing it as we speak in sure.

All of these Nu Metal covers suck ass. They need to just stop.

A focking men!!!

Love it.....as well as the original :thumbsup:

That pin cushion faced fock should be shot in the face with a shotgun for that cover.

This is their 3rd cover I am aware of. That's too many. I believe this is the 3rd time you or someone else has posted this song. That's too many.

Disturbed is good, not great.

Doing a hard rock version of a non-hard rock song got old 20 years ago. This is not creative.

Personally I like a lot of covers although can't think of many I'd take over the original and this one is no different.

• Like 1

When you have the balls to cover a Mount Rushmore song like that, you better focking BRING SOMETHING. They failed.

Speaking of Mount Rushmore songs what do you think of this cover?It took me a few listens but I'll take it as an interesting twist on a classic.

Sounds like a bunch of old focks bltching about nothing, which is what old focks bltch about usually. The cover is awesome as i posted it in new music 2 thread :thumbsup:

• Like 1

:thumbsup:

Well, we've established two guys with crappy taste in music like it. All we need now is GoColts with a ringing endorsement.

So what did we learn here folks?

Personally I like a lot of covers although can't think of many I'd take over the original and this one is no different.

Agreed. This cover is fine and I enjoyed it, but it doesn't really take the song to any new places IMO. :music_guitarred:

A cover song I like that I only recently heard for the first time is Johnny cash's personal Jesus

Sounds like a bunch of old focks bltching about nothing, which is what old focks bltch about usually. The cover is awesome as i posted it in new music 2 thread :thumbsup:

Well said, sir. :cheers:

Agreed. This cover is fine and I enjoyed it, but it doesn't really take the song to any new places IMO. :music_guitarred:

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I don't think that Draiman (the singer) was trying to take it to new places, but just trying to do a heavy version of a song he prolly really liked growing up. A homage, if you will

Well, we've established two guys with crappy taste in music like it. All we need now is GoColts with a ringing endorsement.

So what did we learn here folks?

I'm sure my music library and knowledge far outweighs yours Sir.

It's a great song, and I enjoyed Disturbed's take on it, what's the problem? :dunno:

I'm sure my music library and knowledge far outweighs yours Sir.

It's a great song, and I enjoyed Disturbed's take on it, what's the problem? :dunno:

He's gay

I'd rather have sex with Ann Coulter than listen to that sh!t.

• Like 2

I'd rather have sex with Ann Coulter than listen to that sh!t.

In other werds, you didn't listen to the whole thing.

Run along now, simpleton :wave:

the guy with the oral fixation who listens to glam rock is calling dudes gay. Only at FFT... :wacko:

Do you own a kat or not?

Do you own a kat or not?

My wife Has a cat. And we don't own her. She's a member of the family! Check yo self!

My wife Has a cat. And we don't own her. She's a member of the family! Check yo self!

Ghey by association. gotcha ;)

btw, nobody really owns a kat.

Then we have a guy who sounds like Chocolate Rain guy with an autotune.

Try again :lol:

I'm actually a sizable Paul Simon fan but to be honest this song is really best for being the backdrop of that Old School movie scene and not much else. It's folksy and peaceful, which is cool and It's well written and that's to be appreciated, but it's not something to jam to. Iv made better covers of it when I used to write verses on the main board whenever Helu would vulture Morris. Helu darkness my old friend, iv come to vulture you again...my lyrics were epic. I prefer it over the cover tho for sure, although the cover wasn't really bad.

Mount Rushmore worthy? Seriously? I'd hold off on that.

I'm actually a sizable Paul Simon fan but to be honest this song is really best for being the backdrop of that Old School movie scene and not much else. It's folksy and peaceful, which is cool and It's well written and that's to be appreciated, but it's not something to jam to. Iv made better covers of it when I used to write verses on the main board whenever Helu would vulture Morris. Helu darkness my old friend, iv come to vulture you again...my lyrics were epic. I prefer it over the cover tho for sure, although the cover wasn't really bad.

wut? :huh:

You are an idiot

Meh on the cover.

I'm usually intrigued when other artists cover a classic tune, but this one is just OK.

As for the original, I agree with TBBOM. Like several others from Simon, it's a lyrical masterpiece.

I love S&G, and have seen them in concert.

Disturbed is hit and miss for me, but I really dig the cover. I also think there's some value to bringing S&G to the young'uns - maybe a few will check out S&G a bit based on this cover.

• Like 1

C'mon. I'm a fan of Disturbed, and hard rock/metal in general, but this cover was an insult to an all-time classic. There are just some songs you really shouldn't cover, and this was one of them. My buddy said he liked it better than the original, so I listened to it and immediately lost my respect in his taste for music.

Heard this on 98 Rock last night and stayed with it to see if he'd work in an "ewwWAH-AH-AH-AH". No dice. :thumbsdown:

Heard this on 98 Rock last night and stayed with it to see if he'd work in an "ewwWAH-AH-AH-AH". No dice. :thumbsdown:

One thing I don't like about them, he does wayyyyyyyyyy too much of that.

Where the fock do you live?

I will say this: I kept waiting for the nu metal version to break in with the metal guitars and that didn't happen so it was better than expected. But the video is gay as hell and the whole remake is pointless.