Big Guy

Dallas Cowboys 2018 & Beyond

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

How are those Cowboys in the prior 21 games?  I believe they have a losing record with Dak and are 1-5 against playoff teams.  Am I right?

You seem to have an inclination of stopping short (thank you Frank Costanza).

Yes, over the past 21 games Dak is 10-11... But let's take the breaks off, not stop for once. 

* Dak is 42-27 overall as a Cowboys starter. 

* Dak is 1-2 in the post season with a 64.1 completion %, 5 to 2 td/int ratio and a 95.7 rating. 

* Dalton is 0-4 in the postseason with a 57.8 completion %, 1 to 6 td/int ratio and a 57.8 rating. 

Dak doesn't need a $90m slow, un-explosive RB, Dak needs a defense. Stop asking him to go out and hang 40 every week to win. Hell he hung 31 on GB in the 2016 Divisional Rd, and lost bcoz his defense gave up a 3rd and 27 late... Dalton is not the answer........Andy is a backup, plain and simple. 

22 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Yes, over the past 21 games Dak is 10-11... But let's take the breaks off, not stop for once. 

* Dak is 1-2 in the post season with a 64.1 completion %, 5 to 2 td/int ratio and a 95.7 rating. 

* Dalton is 0-4 in the postseason with a 57.8 completion %, 1 to 6 td/int ratio and a 57.8 rating. 

Dak doesn't need a $90m slow, un-explosive RB, Dak needs a defense. Stop asking him to go out and hang 40 every week to win. Hell he hung 31 on GB in the 2016 Divisional Rd, and lost bcoz his defense gave up a 3rd and 27 late... Dalton is not the answer........Andy is a backup, plain and simple. 

Dak was under his rookie contract those prior years.  It's easy to build a team around a player when that player is cheap.  I'm going to last year because Dallas changed their OC for that season, stating that in 21 games with the current OC, the Cowboys are 1 game under .500 with Dak at the helm.

No, I'm not asking Dak to carry the defense, but I think that is being proven is that when you pay a QB more than he's worth, it's going to come at a cost.  This off-season, the Cowboys paid Dak over $30M.  You saw the result in that it hurt the defense.  In Dak's previous 4 seasons, the Cowboys had Top 10 defenses.  Dak makes $20M+ more and all of a sudden, their defense is bottom 10.  That's not a coincidence.  It's cause and effect.  In 2019, Dak was on his rookie contract and in 2020, he was making $30M.  Where do you think that money came from?  Yes, the salary cap did go up, but he wasn't the only guy that needed to be re-signed or brought in.  Next year isn't going to be any different.  If Dak gets $35M or the $40M he wants, the result is going to be the same, probably worse because not only will the cap not go up, it's going to go down.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Dak was under his rookie contract those prior years.  It's easy to build a team around a player when that player is cheap.  I'm going to last year because Dallas changed their OC for that season, stating that in 21 games with the current OC, the Cowboys are 1 game under .500 with Dak at the helm.

I agree, rookie deals are where you make your bones... Look at Josh Allen, he didn't even count $6m against the Cap, and BUF killed it this year. If they're smart they will extend him soon, or he's gonna break the bank in a couple of years. 

But back to Dak - his $33m had very little to do with the defense being so bad. Zeke in the middle of a $90m deal, Amari eating up $100m, Jaylon $64m, a RT making $50m and missing the entire season, a LT making $98m and missing 14 games, Zack Martin making $84m and missing 8 games, losing both starting DTs and of course, Dak missing most of the year to the ankle -  there's your reasons as to why the defense sucked....... And don't be fooled - those "top 10" defenses were a smoke screen. Anyone who actually watched the games knows that was a product of playing in the shiit NFC East. Over those years that defense produced all of 3 Pro Bowlers - S. Lee, D. Lawrence and Vander Esch. Anyone want Lee or Vander Esch on their team now? 

QBs cost $, that's just the way it is. Bcoz Jerry has bungled the Cap so bad, he's financially stuck - rebuilding is not an option. So....you make do with Dak, make a trade, or draft another. Sitting at 10, drafting one is unlikely. Trade - who in the hell on this team does anyone covet worthy of a QB? Trading picks? Na, not happening.. So - what FA you gonna pick up? Like I said, Jerry is strapped, no way he's bringing in a spare to led a team he's maxed out on. 

48 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I agree, rookie deals are where you make your bones... Look at Josh Allen, he didn't even count $6m against the Cap, and BUF killed it this year. If they're smart they will extend him soon, or he's gonna break the bank in a couple of years. 

But back to Dak - his $33m had very little to do with the defense being so bad. Zeke in the middle of a $90m deal, Amari eating up $100m, Jaylon $64m, a RT making $50m and missing the entire season, a LT making $98m and missing 14 games, Zack Martin making $84m and missing 8 games, losing both starting DTs and of course, Dak missing most of the year to the ankle -  there's your reasons as to why the defense sucked....... And don't be fooled - those "top 10" defenses were a smoke screen. Anyone who actually watched the games knows that was a product of playing in the shiit NFC East. Over those years that defense produced all of 3 Pro Bowlers - S. Lee, D. Lawrence and Vander Esch. Anyone want Lee or Vander Esch on their team now? 

QBs cost $, that's just the way it is. Bcoz Jerry has bungled the Cap so bad, he's financially stuck - rebuilding is not an option. So....you make do with Dak, make a trade, or draft another. Sitting at 10, drafting one is unlikely. Trade - who in the hell on this team does anyone covet worthy of a QB? Trading picks? Na, not happening.. So - what FA you gonna pick up? Like I said, Jerry is strapped, no way he's bringing in a spare to led a team he's maxed out on. 

Fair arguments.  Jerry has a hard-on for offense and speed on offense and why he's always spending money there.  You don't think though, that all that money being spent on offense is propping up Dak's numbers?  Along with a stud OLine?

just for fun ( perspective )

The Dallas Cowboys now have the most wins of any team in the Super Bowl era ( 1966 - present ) 501

If you think the Cowboys are dysfunctional, the Dolphins just named two guys to share the offensive coordinator spot. Lol. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Bout f'king time, way long overdue.

He and Cliff Harris were the only 2 of the NFL 70's All Decade team (1st team) not in. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Bout f'king time, way long overdue.

He and Cliff Harris were the only 2 of the NFL 70's All Decade team (1st team) not in. 

So making the All-decade team grants automatic entry in the HOF?

Why not just induct all of them the second the all-decade team is announced then?

Here's the 2010s all-decade team:

QBs Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers
RBs: Frank Gore, Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy
WRs: Antonio Brown, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones
TEs: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce
FLEX: Darren Sproles
OT: Jason Peters, Tyron Smith, Joe Staley, Joe Thomas
OG: Jahri Evans, Logan Mankins, Zack Martin, Marshall Yanda
Cs: Alex Mack, Maurkice Pouncey
DE: Calais Campbell, Cameron Jordan, Julius Peppers, JJ Watt
DT: Geno Atkins, Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh
LB: Chandler Jones, Luke Kuechly, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Bobby Wagner, Patrick Willis
CB: Patrick Peterson, Darrelle Revis, Richard Sherman
DB: Chris Harris Jr, Tyrann Mathieu
S: Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Eric Weddle
K: Stephen Gostkowski, Justin Tucker
P: Johnny Hekker, Shane Lechler
KR: Devin Hester, Cordarrelle Patterson
PR: Tyreek Hill, Darren Sproles
Coaches: Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll

55 people.  Induct them all this year.  Doesn't matter if they are retired or not, they are getting in anyway.  Just get it over with so people can debate people that are not automatic.

23 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

So making the All-decade team grants automatic entry in the HOF?

Why not just induct all of them the second the all-decade team is announced then?

:rolleyes:

In a decade full of great linebackers, Carl Banks is on the second team of the decade of the 80’s. Doesn’t get a whiff of the HOF. 

If I'm Jerry, I let Dak walk.....Dallas can't afford him

I keep Dalton, Draft a QB, maybe even pick up Alex Smith, keep Gilbert & Dinucci and save $30M a year

I say blow this crap up and and be more prudent in the future.

Or.....Tag Dak for his last year as a Cowboy at $37M let him prove himself.

let Dalton walk, Draft a QB and keep Gilbert & Dinucci

Just now, Big Guy said:

Every year is win now mode for Jerry. He’s almost dead and he needs to win one without Jimmy Johnson getting credit. That’s the factor in the moves they make.  Until he’s in the dirt it will continue.  Enjoy.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Cowboys give their numbskull RB a mega deal but play hardball with the franchise QB. 

Heckuva job Jerruh. :doh: 

30 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Every year is win now mode for Jerry. He’s almost dead and he needs to win one without Jimmy Johnson getting credit. That’s the factor in the moves they make.  Until he’s in the dirt it will continue.  Enjoy.  

Never gonna happen. :(

27 minutes ago, MDC said:

Cowboys give their numbskull RB a mega deal but play hardball with the franchise QB. 

Heckuva job Jerruh. :doh: 

Bottom line is that Dak is NOT worth what they want as well as the lack of cap space

But yeah, Zeke shouldn't have been paid that either

59 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Bottom line is that Dak is NOT worth what they want as well as the lack of cap space

The way the cowboys are so poorly managing their team it's as if they are trying to be the eagles.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Guy said:

I hope Dallas let’s Dak walk. I fondly remember a stretch when the Cowboys were trotting out stiffs like Quincy Carter and Ryan Leaf. I’m ready for more of that. :thumbsup: 

57 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

The way the cowboys are so poorly managing their team it's as if they are trying to be the eagles.

You’re a Bears fan right? Talk about your glass houses.

• Haha 1

Top teams in the. NFC East the last 25 years: 

Giants

Eagles

Cowboys

WFT

• Like 1

Top teams in the NFC East all time:

Cowboys

Giants

WFT

Eagles

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 12:05 AM, Cruzer said:

This is the core issue. Jerry is too enamored with flashy toys... Receivers and backs.

The cowboys won't win sh!t as they are currently built. They've been handing out big contracts to players they shouldn't.

Frankly, if I was dak, I'd want out. I'd be hoping for the tag this year and then try to walk. 

• Thanks 1

Cold hard fact of the matter, Jerry has this team and Cap so focked up - there is no one right answer fix. Bad contracts across the board, aging offensive line, too many injury prone players, lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball, uncertainty at QB.....and as if that weren't enuff, this team is straight up Cap strapped. 

The only real fix to this mess is a full head on nuke - blow it up, start over. 

But as HT pointed out, Jerry isn't exactly a spring chicken. He's 78 years old - and let me tell ya, that's a HARD 78. He doesn't have the time (or patience) to hit the Red Button - he has to shove his chips to the middle now and hope for the best.... I still feel Dak will get tagged and play his last year here under that designation. After that? He prolly walks. 

11 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Cold hard fact of the matter, Jerry has this team and Cap so focked up - there is no one right answer fix. Bad contracts across the board, aging offensive line, too many injury prone players, lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball, uncertainty at QB.....and as if that weren't enuff, this team is straight up Cap strapped. 

The only real fix to this mess is a full head on nuke - blow it up, start over. 

But as HT pointed out, Jerry isn't exactly a spring chicken. He's 78 years old - and let me tell ya, that's a HARD 78. He doesn't have the time (or patience) to hit the Red Button - he has to shove his chips to the middle now and hope for the best.... I still feel Dak will get tagged and play his last year here under that designation. After that? He prolly walks. 

I agree......but what do you think will happen by the deadline?

I think he'll be tagged and this is his last year in Dallas. But also I do believe they draft a QB.

1 minute ago, Big Guy said:

I agree......but what do you think will happen by the deadline?

I think he'll be tagged and this is his last year in Dallas. But also I do believe they draft a QB.

I don't see a deal getting reached - he will be tagged today or 2morow. And bcoz of his ankle and the uncertainty of his health, he's basically un-tradable until all know. 

I look for Dak to play out this season and move on after that... Which is going to be a damn shame. Not in the sense he's an all world stud QB, but like him or not - Dak's an asset. And to let an asset walk out the door w/out getting something in return is just bad business. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I don't see a deal getting reached - he will be tagged today or 2morow. And bcoz of his ankle and the uncertainty of his health, he's basically un-tradable until all know. 

I look for Dak to play out this season and move on after that... Which is going to be a damn shame. Not in the sense he's an all world stud QB, but like him or not - Dak's an asset. And to let an asset walk out the door w/out getting something in return is just bad business. 

If he shows us a Super Bowl this year Jerrah should show him the money

Maybe he'll be playing to audition for another team this year

You guys seem to be in the same boat as everyone else. Qb contracts are out of control. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. The next Qb FA tops the last one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kopy said:

You guys seem to be in the same boat as everyone else. Qb contracts are out of control. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. The next Qb FA tops the last one.

The glut of good QBs is going to solve that.  Colleges are finally starting to churn out 5-10 really good ones a year, which is more than enough to replace the veterans.  There will be no reason to overpay in a couple of years, and certainly not in 5 years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The glut of good QBs is going to solve that.  Colleges are finally starting to churn out 5-10 really good ones a year, which is more than enough to replace the veterans.  There will be no reason to overpay in a couple of years, and certainly not in 5 years. 

Agree. That combined with the rule changes and how good WR’s are make it easier than ever to play the position. Let’s keep in mind a 43 year old just won the SB and a 37 year old was MVP. 

23 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Agree. That combined with the rule changes and how good WR’s are make it easier than ever to play the position. Let’s keep in mind a 43 year old just won the SB and a 37 year old was MVP. 

A 43 year old statue and a 37 year old that moves to throw.  Mobile QBs are not necessarily the future of the NFL. 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

A 43 year old statue and a 37 year old that moves to throw.  Mobile QBs are not necessarily the future of the NFL. 

I think mobility is very important. Running isn’t. It’s actually kind of stupid  if you give a QB a second contract and have him running around all the time. 

37 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

This is the exact template I've been preaching about RBs for a few years now. 

And the absolute #1 reason I was so against extending Zeke..... You don't pay RBs, not in today's game. 

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

This is the exact template I've been preaching about RBs for a few years now. 

And the absolute #1 reason I was so against extending Zeke..... You don't pay RBs, not in today's game. 

Sad but true.  The best athletes on the field and they never get their due from a financial standpoint. 

And you would have to be flat out stupid to draft a RB top 10 these days.  Look at the Giants and Barkley.  What possibly could have gone right there. Nothing. 

27 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

And you would have to be flat out stupid to draft a RB top 10 these days.  Look at the Giants and Barkley.  What possibly could have gone right there. Nothing. 

Oh boy, don't get me started on that. I've been preaching that since.......well 2016 and Zeke. 

Took him 4th overall........in a draft where we could have moved down, taken DeForest Buckner or Jalen Ramsey - then Derrick Henry in the 2nd. :doh:

Coincidentally, we took Jaylon Smith with our 2nd rd. pick that year. :wall:

• Sad 1

Just curious here.  At least 2 teams thought that Matt Stafford and Carson Wentz were worth a 1st and a 3rd.  If the opinion is that Dak is better than both, how many teams will be willing to extend him an offer sheet and pay 2 first round picks?  If you're the Cowboys, let's say that the Broncos extend Prescott and offer sheet, ensuring that the Cowboys get pick #9 and a 2022 #1 pick... do the you match it or take the picks?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Just curious here.  At least 2 teams thought that Matt Stafford and Carson Wentz were worth a 1st and a 3rd.  If the opinion is that Dak is better than both, how many teams will be willing to extend him an offer sheet and pay 2 first round picks?  If you're the Cowboys, let's say that the Broncos extend Prescott and offer sheet, ensuring that the Cowboys get pick #9 and a 2022 #1 pick... do the you match it or take the picks?

Stafford's contract made the deal doable, IMO.  I honestly don't know what the Colts were thinking with Wentz.  Dak is untouchable right now, unless the Cowboys release him, which would be the tough but smart move.  

11 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I would personally do this deal... Not bcoz I don't think Dak is any good, but bcoz the blood has run bad here. At this point, I'm not sure there's any way to repair the rift and disrespect Dak feels the Jones boys have put on him. If someone is willing to part with two 1st rounders, sure - why not. 

The problem is, Dak's ankle is a huge sticking point. Nobody (including the Cowboys) really know how much he's healed, how much he will be like him old self, if he will regain his previous mobility. And who wants to shell out two 1st rounders for the unknown? 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Stafford's contract made the deal doable, IMO.  I honestly don't know what the Colts were thinking with Wentz.  Dak is untouchable right now, unless the Cowboys release him, which would be the tough but smart move.  

Dak's deal would be whatever any team, and Dak, want it to be.  He's a free agent.  He can sign any deal he wants.  I keep hearing that teams are willing to offer anywhere from 3 to 6 premium (1's and 2's), for Watson who's going to cost them $30M-$40M over the next 4 years.  Why not trade 2 firsts for someone and get say 6 or 7 years?  Seems like a bargain to me.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

The problem is, Dak's ankle is a huge sticking point. Nobody (including the Cowboys) really know how much he's healed, how much he will be like him old self, if he will regain his previous mobility. And who wants to shell out two 1st rounders for the unknown? 

true......and that's why I think he's worth less this year over last.