Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Betsy DeVos wants to cancel all funding for Special Olympics

But has already approved raises for herself and her executive team. And, she's already a multi multi-millionaire.

Jesus Christ, it's like these guys are caricatures of bad guys.

It doesn't make for good headlines, especially considering the utter dumb focks that slurp up the hysteria of the day.

Here is their 2017 financials (PDF):

https://dotorg.brightspotcdn.com/a2/52/67e680f34be4b0c2d975757f3f95/special-olympics-inc-2017-audited-financial-statement.PDF

The $15 million federal dollars are roughly 10% of their $148 million in annual revenue.

They spend $8 million out of $148 million on training and competitions.

Before I light my hair on fire over the federal cut I would like to know how much of that other $140 million spent each year is actually benefitting the kids.

Hopefully this hysteria sparks some intellectual discussion about non profits proper use of funds.

As we have learned recently, many of them are total frauds (Susan B Komen, Clinton Foundation, Red Cross)

• Like 1

I wish they made them compete in the same sports as the regular Olympics.  That would be funny as fock watching some Down Syndromed luge team or the ski jump.   I'd pay to watch that.

• Haha 2

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos stood firm on her proposal to cut funds for the Special Olympics on Wednesday, arguing that the organization doesn't need federal backing because it can successfully raise private contributions.

"The Special Olympics is not a federal program. It's a private organization. I love its work, and I have personally supported its mission. Because of its important work, it is able to raise more than $100 million every year," DeVos said in a statement.

Wiff hates to provide links so in this case I went and googled because it made no sense.  Wiff, thoughts?

How about as a compromise, open up the Special Olympics to transgenders and kick them out of female athletics. Gold, silver, and bronze medals and records can only go to downs syndrome and disabled and whoever else participates. Gender Dysphoria participants all get a participation trophy no matter how well they do.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Wiff hates to provide links so in this case I went and googled because it made no sense.  Wiff, thoughts?

So, why don't we do that with everything? There's an old movie Back in the Day called americathon. The country had gone broke and so they held a big-ass telethon to pay the national debt. John Ritter starred in it as I recall.

F***, the GOP is filled with these armchair warriors who say they love the troops. There's a s*** ton of billionaires in the GOP. I figured it'd take about 12 billionaires to build one aircraft carrier. Another 10 of them could easily supply much-needed housing upgrades to our soldiers. F***, most of the people in Congress and Csbinet are millionaires. Why the f*** are we paying them?

Got to be a lot of armchair astronomers out there. And God damn if we don't already pay boeing a hell of a lot of money. It's about time they stepped up and just started donating whatever we need for the next space flight. Yeah, I see how good this will work.

Your response is typical. Oh this is 1% of that and this is 2% of that. Until we start looking at all the f****** pork that our government waste money on. Somebody want to tell me why the f*** our National space program has a huge facility in Alabama? Why we still manufacture pennies even though it cost more to make them than they're worth? Or we could go on with about a million different line items.

But yeah, 18 million dollars for Special Olympics. That's going to right the ship.

Oh by the way, have you read any stories lately about how much money Trump has build his own campaign back to Trump hotels and facilities? I posted that not too long ago. Why the fuk can our president not bill his own government for things like resort stays and golf cart rentals for the Secret Service that protects him?

Here's my simple proposition. Don't let Trump resorts of any kind Bill a single dollar to the US government. Let's start with that. And then we can start talking.

And yes, no s***. We taxpayers actually pay Mar-A-Lago for the golf carts that they rent out at a premium to provide  the Secret Service so they can guard our fat ass president while he golfs literally every single weekend. But Special Olympics is the problem. Jesus Christ.

Like I said. You morons would support him and find a way to justify whatever ridiculous s*** he comes up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

amid questions about the Defense Department’s first-ever audit.

Earlier this month, the nonprofit advocacy group OpenTheBooks released a detailed report related to some of those findings, criticizing Pentagon leaders for spending $97 billion in a single month last year in an effort to use up extra funding.

Among their list of waste were $2.3 million on snow crab, Alaskan king crab, and crab legs and claws, and another $2.3 million on lobster tails. The group said all of that money was spent at the end of the fiscal year, in a luxury spending spree.

----------------

how many of us get free meals three times a day while working? I'm not talking forward deployed. Stateside. Let alone lobster? we can't have people bringing in their lunch like every other blue collar job? we can't get these fat cat country artists who supposedly love America 2 buy these fackors some pizzas?

$5000000 in lobster in one month? And that's just the shellfish portion mind you.

But Special Olympics..

I still see no links from wiff.  Shocking, notreally....

So Wiffle just posted a headline with zero context. Typical. And after reading the actual story, it looks like DeVos is doing the right thing. Spend what you got and when it gets low get back to us. Thanks. 

Somebody posted this week about all the people who've left this board. It's this kind of knee-jerk reaction that's completely mindless and indicative of some kind of cult of personality or just the need to be contrarian that isn't even worth discussion.

At least when I see something from the 'other side' that I agree with, I point it out and admit that I agree with it. Going further back, when Obama said or did something stupid I was the first one to call him out on it. "That could be my son" .

But you don't see that from these knee-jerk trumpettes at all. It's like they think their little peckers are going to be even smaller if they give even an inch and admit something is just genuinely effed up.

We've got three different 12 billion dollar aircraft carriers none of which are combat-ready because they can't do basic things like their elevators and launching and retrieving aircraft. Our zumwalt class battleships can't get past the Panama canal without breaking down. But would it kill somebody to say "hey, maybe 18 million dollars on something that actually does what it set out to do isnt the big problem right now." 

Or

"This is a dumb move. They had all the momentum after the meuller release. Why shoot themselves in the foot over something as minor as this?" And why the f*** proposed a 15% executive pay increase at the same time?

But you guys are incapable of that. It's like this little cadre of Fox News Mean Girls that have to support each other regardless. And you wonder why you got kicked off the other bored. And you wonder why so many people leave this board now.

Like I said, Trump could shoot a toddler on the steps of the White House and you guys would defend him blindly and mindlessly and immediately. So what's the point of even trying to have a conversation with you?

• Thanks 1

How about instead of funding Special Olympics we just funnel all that money to getting wiffle some help. Surely 100+ million will get him the help he needs...............right? :unsure:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Wiff has turned flat out liar.  The feds never have funded the special olympics.

What about wiff's federal earned income credit Mister Smartypants?!!

Is this another Russian conspiracy theory

2 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

What about wiff's federal earned income credit Mister Smartypants?!!

Yeah. We have seen this meltdown before. He is single digit posts away from a break. At this friggin place. 

You can't nickle and dime the Special Olympics without looking like a jerk.... and all you're saving is $18M which is a half a drop in the bucket. When you have 400M people in the country, that's expecting everyone to cough up 4 cents each and you look like Scrooge taking money back from smiling, happy down syndrome and disabled kids.

The real money to balance the budget is in entitlement reform. You still have to put up with getting accused of being Scrooge, but at least you can make a real fokcing dent in to the tune of $hundreds of billions rather than $18 million.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

You can't nickle and dime the Special Olympics without looking like a jerk.... and all you're saving is $18M which is a half a drop in the bucket. When you have 400M people in the country, that's expecting everyone to cough up 4 cents each and you look like Scrooge taking money back from smiling, happy down syndrome and disabled kids.

The real money to balance the budget is in entitlement reform. You still have to put up with getting accused of being Scrooge, but at least you can make a real fokcing dent in to the tune of $hundreds of billions rather than $18 million.

It's click bait thread titles.  The money was not for the SO in the first place.  Why do you think this poster never has links?  It's all made up.

14 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Betsy DeVos wants to cancel all funding for Special Olympics

I didn't know FFTMike received funding for this place. :shocking:

You'd think with all that money, we'd have better emoticons.   :mad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I didn't know FFTMike received funding for this place. :shocking:

You'd think with all that money, we'd have better emoticons.   :mad:

and the ability to post pictures 🤣

• Haha 1

Budgets are tough, sacrifices sometimes have to be made.  However this ain’t one of them.  Horrible decision.  Just terrible.  I’m not a DeVos fan.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

This guy gets it.

Hey Wiff, how did we go from Special Olympics to elevators on aircraft carriers?  :huh:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SenatorRock said:

As we have learned recently, many of them are total frauds (Susan B Komen, Clinton Foundation, Red Cross)

You left out the Trump Foundation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Somebody posted this week about all the people who've left this board. It's this kind of knee-jerk reaction that's completely mindless and indicative of some kind of cult of personality or just the need to be contrarian that isn't even worth discussion.

At least when I see something from the 'other side' that I agree with, I point it out and admit that I agree with it. Going further back, when Obama said or did something stupid I was the first one to call him out on it. "That could be my son" .

But you don't see that from these knee-jerk trumpettes at all. It's like they think their little peckers are going to be even smaller if they give even an inch and admit something is just genuinely effed up.

We've got three different 12 billion dollar aircraft carriers none of which are combat-ready because they can't do basic things like their elevators and launching and retrieving aircraft. Our zumwalt class battleships can't get past the Panama canal without breaking down. But would it kill somebody to say "hey, maybe 18 million dollars on something that actually does what it set out to do isnt the big problem right now." 

Or

"This is a dumb move. They had all the momentum after the meuller release. Why shoot themselves in the foot over something as minor as this?" And why the f*** proposed a 15% executive pay increase at the same time?

But you guys are incapable of that. It's like this little cadre of Fox News Mean Girls that have to support each other regardless. And you wonder why you got kicked off the other bored. And you wonder why so many people leave this board now.

Like I said, Trump could shoot a toddler on the steps of the White House and you guys would defend him blindly and mindlessly and immediately. So what's the point of even trying to have a conversation with you?

Wtf are you rambling about now?

You start a thread based on hysterical MSM spin.

"Devos cuts funding to Special Olympics, she and everyone who supports Trump is the devil!!!!"

I point out that the $15 million cut is only 10% of their budget, and they only spend $8 million out of $148 million on actual sports training and competitions. Last year they couldn't afford to have competitions in Oregon because they were broke, mismanaged their funds.

Jerry points out that Special Olympics is not a government agency, they receive most of their revenue (if you check the PDF in my first post, $100+ million) from private donations.

You have not addressed either of those comments, just more rambling about off topic and Orange Man Bad.

Get a grip on yourself.

8 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Wiff has turned flat out liar.  The feds never have funded the special olympics.

Da fuq? You ignorant phuck.

Well look at that, Trump overrides Devos.

The special fund is back.

There were thousands of articles on the web in <24 hours calling Devos and Trump Hitler. Let's see how many cover the latest update.

16 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I still see no links from wiff.  Shocking, notreally....

Does your Google not work? Is fft your only source of news? LOL

1 hour ago, SenatorRock said:

Well look at that, Trump overrides Devos.

The special fund is back.

There were thousands of articles on the web in <24 hours calling Devos and Trump Hitler. Let's see how many cover the latest update.

so for those of the usual trolls who swore that DeVos was absolutely right in doing what she proposed? The Matt has to mean that Trump is absolutely wrong for overriding her right?

Lol

Just now, wiffleball said:

so for those of the usual trolls who swore that DeVos was absolutely right in doing what she proposed? The Matt has to mean that Trump is absolutely wrong for overriding her right?

Lol

Trump playing politics. It's what he is now, but good at it. Devisnwas right to cut it. Trump kissing babies. Has to be done. Are you volunteering to help? I am. 

I wonder if it was the 5 million bucks and lobster in one month. Or quite possibly the ridiculous cost every time Trump goes down for the weekend to play golf. or something he really doesn't want to talk about, all the money that he's billing the federal government back to his own properties. either way, whatever motivated him, I'm glad to see him do it.

A s*** ton of money is donated

fromthe private sector to our soldiers and their various causes. Just because that's so doesn't mean that our government should cut their funding either. That's just a stupid spurious argument.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Trump playing politics. It's what he is now, but good at it. Devisnwas right to cut it. Trump kissing babies. Has to be done. Are you volunteering to help? I am. 

Help make out with babies? You ped.

now what am i going to watch! 

:mad:

30 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Lol

I think it was correct to cancel the funding, Special Olympics gets nearly 7x what the federal government was giving them from private donors. They do not NEED federal dollars to operate. They also do not use the money they have efficiently, only around 8% goes towards training and competitions.

The override was not necessary in my opinion, but the media for WHATEVER reason decided this was some huge issue that deserved wall to wall coverage. My guess is they are looking for anything to distract people from the fact that Mueller slapped his cack across their face and said no collusion.

I don't really care if Trump goes against DeVos and spends a paltry $15 million to shut up the hysterical sheep.

This is a non-issue that nobody really gives a fock about.

33 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I wonder if it was the 5 million bucks and lobster in one month. Or quite possibly the ridiculous cost every time Trump goes down for the weekend to play golf. or something he really doesn't want to talk about, all the money that he's billing the federal government back to his own properties. either way, whatever motivated him, I'm glad to see him do it.

A s*** ton of money is donated

fromthe private sector to our soldiers and their various causes. Just because that's so doesn't mean that our government should cut their funding either. That's just a stupid spurious argument.

You do realize the DoD is a government agency and the Special Olympics is a non-government entity?