Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Sports memorabilia: something cool to have or waste of money?

Autograph from Sweetness the year after they won the Superbowl.

11 hours ago, Drizzay said:

Autograph from Sweetness the year after they won the Superbowl.

Too bad you didn't get a SB TD scorer, like the Fridge.  

On 6/16/2019 at 10:23 AM, Cdub100 said:

I have the menendez brothers basketball card

I just found one of these in a lot of old cards I was going through 

It's all relative to what you value/cherish.

I'd never, in a million years, drop $250 for a concert........ But I wouldn't think twice about dropping $500 for a club Ben Hogan used in an US Open.

• Like 1

My sons have really gotten into this recently, so they're getting some stuff for Xmas.  Cal Ripken Jr signed ball, Mike Trout signed ball, Mickey Mantle signed photo, Hank Aaron card, Zion Williamson signed ball, Guns 'N Roses signed pick guard, plus a whole bunch of autographed, rookie and HOF baseball cards. Happ, Judge, Stanton, Guerrero Jr, Grace, Santo, Sandberg, Rose, Bench, and more.   

After doing some research into what to buy them, talking to friends, collectors and attending a few shows, I've become interested as well. 

I have some extra warehouse space so I've been buying lots where I see some value.  When it's slow in the store, I'll spend some time putting together some team and/or player lots to see what they'll fetch on ebay.

30 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I just found one of these in a lot of old cards I was going through 

Would you have any idea if a Brett Favre Atlanta Falcons rookie card is worth anything? I have three of them.

22 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

My sons have really gotten into this recently, so they're getting some stuff for Xmas.  Cal Ripken Jr signed ball, Mike Trout signed ball, Mickey Mantle signed photo, Hank Aaron card, Zion Williamson signed ball, Guns 'N Roses signed pick guard, plus a whole bunch of autographed, rookie and HOF baseball cards. Happ, Judge, Stanton, Guerrero Jr, Grace, Santo, Sandberg, Rose, Bench, and more.   

After doing some research into what to buy them, talking to friends, collectors and attending a few shows, I've become interested as well. 

I have some extra warehouse space so I've been buying lots where I see some value.  When it's slow in the store, I'll spend some time putting together some team and/or player lots to see what they'll fetch on ebay.

Be careful.  Tons of fake stuff out there.  

23 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Magic the gathering is where it's at.

2 minutes ago, nzoner said:

Would you have any idea if a Brett Favre Atlanta Falcons rookie card is worth anything? I have three of them.

I have one as well.  The answer is probably not much, but you never know.  The problem with cards from the mid 80's - early 90's is that they were way over produced so there are tons of them out there.  As a result, most stuff from that era isn't worth much money.  I'm trying to focus on 70's and prior plus 2000 forward. 

https://www.ebay.com/b/Brett-Favre-Rookie-Football-Cards/215/bn_16796412

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Be careful.  Tons of fake stuff out there.  

Yep.  All the signed stuff i've bought has COA's.  

There's a guy who wants to sell me 500 signed baseballs that were in-person autographed.  He wants $2.50/ball, which is roughly the cost of the ball itself.  He claims he's been going to spring training for the last 20 years getting these autos.  I might do it, but need to find out how much it will cost me to have them authenticated.

If they turn out to be fake, I'll sell them to our youth sports board to use as game balls and I'll break even.  

Just now, vuduchile said:

Not for us.  

MTG is for everyone

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

I have one as well.  The answer is probably not much, but you never know.  The problem with cards from the mid 80's - early 90's is that they were way over produced so there are tons of them out there.  As a result, most stuff from that era isn't worth much money.  I'm trying to focus on 70's and prior plus 2000 forward. 

https://www.ebay.com/b/Brett-Favre-Rookie-Football-Cards/215/bn_16796412

Here's a few more items I have in the gameroom

Lombardi doll still in original packaging a friend got it for $2 at a garage sale and gave it to me.

KC Chiefs helmet autographed by Lenny Dawson and Priest Holmes

Dan Marino jersey card in case and graded near mint.

Super Bowl bar mirrors from XXXIV and XXXV

1977 Gottlieb Gridiron pinball machine

• Like 1

I tried to steal a David Robinson rookie card at a card show,. I think it was 1991. 

I grabbed it right off the table, they followed me out. Took it back and said not to come back in

16 minutes ago, nzoner said:

Here's a few more items I have in the gameroom

Lombardi doll still in original packaging a friend got it for $2 at a garage sale and gave it to me.

KC Chiefs helmet autographed by Lenny Dawson and Priest Holmes

Dan Marino jersey card in case and graded near mint.

Super Bowl bar mirrors from XXXIV and XXXV

1977 Gottlieb Gridiron pinball machine

Great stuff

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

I tried to steal a David Robinson rookie card at a card show,. I think it was 1991. 

I grabbed it right off the table, they followed me out. Took it back and said not to come back in

Why doesn't this surprise me?

You can get one on ebay today for about $12

I have a fossilized Allison Stokke turd that I use as a paper weight on my desk. I took it out of her toilet myself and wrapped it in gold leaf foil last time I was hanging out with her. I asked her for used tampon but she said that was going a little too far.

Oh well, even pole vaulters have standards I guess. :dunno:

But she did say it was cool to share this link (probably for the 10th time on this site). You are all a bunch of perverts!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=allison+stokke&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS841US841&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=IIpUCFip6hfHPM%3A%2CCaDvxh-4jqt2dM%2C%2Fg%2F11b66cmjcz&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kROQPWB9rXaGIDYZCcmrWUYl-Eszw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAltWc4qvmAhXonuAKHZdHACwQ_B0wHHoECAsQAw#imgrc=IIpUCFip6hfHPM:

8 hours ago, vuduchile said:

There's a guy who wants to sell me 500 signed baseballs that were in-person autographed.  He wants $2.50/ball, which is roughly the cost of the ball itself.  He claims he's been going to spring training for the last 20 years getting these autos.  I might do it, but need to find out how much it will cost me to have them authenticated.

If they turn out to be fake, I'll sell them to our youth sports board to use as game balls and I'll break even.  

Sounds like a reasonable gamble.

8 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Have you verified the coa's are from reputable locations... 1990's coa's are pretty much trash

12 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Have you verified the coa's are from reputable locations... 1990's coa's are pretty much trash

So far, I've only bought stuff from reputable dealers who provide 3rd party COA's from PSA, JSA, and BAS. Everything I've bought my sons has been relatively inexpensive.  We're not yet into $1000+ items.  If and when we get there, I'll need to dig a little deeper before I pull the trigger.  

31 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

So far, I've only bought stuff from reputable dealers who provide 3rd party COA's from PSA, JSA, and BAS. Everything I've bought my sons has been relatively inexpensive.  We're not yet into $1000+ items.  If and when we get there, I'll need to dig a little deeper before I pull the trigger.  

those are all good ones... stay away from items from say SCOREBOARD

3 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

those are all good ones... stay away from items from say SCOREBOARD

Yeah.  I've read the banned lists from ebay and amazon. 

There's a guy who has a bunch of auto stuff that looks interesting and the COA's are from Choice Approval, but I can't find much info on them.  Do you know anything about them?

7 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yeah.  I've read the banned lists from ebay and amazon. 

There's a guy who has a bunch of auto stuff that looks interesting and the COA's are from Choice Approval, but I can't find much info on them.  Do you know anything about them?

I would avoid I think... 

Found a Tim Duncan rookie card today in a lot that I recently bought for $20.00.  Looks decent enough to have graded.  Should be worth holding onto.  

Also a nice Allen Iverson, some Mariano Rivera cards, CC Sabathia cards, and a Mark Grace signed card in the same lot.  Pretty decent lot so far. 

Earlier this week I got a Pete Rose, a Johnny Bench, a Duke Snider, a couple Reggie Jacksons, several Michael Jordans, and this Hank Aaron card in a lot that cost me $60.00.

https://www.ebay.com/p/169854253

I would rather have $10,000 worth of vintage clubs Jack won majors with - than his $1m watch.

I have some Yankees stuff that might have value. Alas, they were all gifts so someone else will get any money if at all. 

If there is a memory of when you were a kid or with your kid and an athlete signs something, that's cool. As a grown man getting excited for another man to sign something for you, that's about as cuck as it gets

I was big into football cards as a kid.

But even then I didnt value or understand buying something signed.  

An Uncle gave me a Favre signed football one year for my birthday (age 10-13?). I thought it was cool of him but I didnt really value the ball.  I still have it but forget I do.  

I mean as a kid if you give a favorite player something to sign, thats cool and you remember the experience.  But I dont and never did see the luster in buying a signature.  

Unless of course it is an investment and you are a sports memorabilia flipper.

46 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I would rather have $10,000 worth of vintage clubs Jack won majors with - than his $1m watch.

Meh, to each his own.  If I were a watch guy (kinda am), a golf fan (mostly am), and had $1M lying around in couch cushions (any day now), there is only one Jack gold Rolex.  That would be a pretty boss thing to own.  Plus that watch probably won't lose value.  

22 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Meh, to each his own.  If I were a watch guy (kinda am), a golf fan (mostly am), and had $1M lying around in couch cushions (any day now), there is only one Jack gold Rolex.  That would be a pretty boss thing to own.  Plus that watch probably won't lose value.  

For sure - personally I couldn't give 2 shiits about a watch.

There are thousands and thousands of Rolexes in the world - there's only (for example) 1 putter Jack famously  used to win that epic '75 Masters, or one 3-iron he used to eagle #15 on that back nine Sunday in the '86 Masters.

Jack has prolly had hundreds of watches over his life - big whoop.

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

For sure - personally I couldn't give 2 shiits about a watch.

There are thousands and thousands of Rolexes in the world - there's only (for example) 1 putter Jack famously  used to win that epic '75 Masters, or one 3-iron he used to eagle #15 on that back nine Sunday in the '86 Masters.

This one?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I was big into football cards as a kid.

But even then I didnt value or understand buying something signed.  

An Uncle gave me a Favre signed football one year for my birthday (age 10-13?). I thought it was cool of him but I didnt really value the ball.  I still have it but forget I do.  

I mean as a kid if you give a favorite player something to sign, thats cool and you remember the experience.  But I dont and never did see the luster in buying a signature.  

Unless of course it is an investment and you are a sports memorabilia flipper.

I didn't realize there was such a huge market for this stuff until my sons started collecting.  If I'd held onto the cards I'd had as a kid, they might be worth some serious cash today.  Of course, I had no idea back then.  We clipped the stupid things to our bike frames to make noise when the spokes hit 'em.

I started seeing the profit potential when I started taking my kids to shows and doing research with them. 

The only thing that excites me personally is the potential profit.  There isn't a single autograph or piece of memorabilia in the world that would hold any sentimental value to me.  I'm just not really impressed enough by other human beings to covet their stuff.  

People gave me things back when I worked at Nike and I gave most of it to friends.  I put some other stuff in a storage tub several years ago and forgot about it.  When my kids started collecting, I dragged it out and they went wild.   There was a Favre signed mini helmet, A Yankees hat signed by 2001 team members (Jeter, Brosius, Pettite, and others).  A Yanks World Series Ticket Stub,  aBulls NBA Championship ticket stub.  Candid photos (no autographs) of me with MJ, Pippen, Reggie White, Singletary, Mia Hamm, Thome, and others.  

Anyway, it's not exactly an investment.  I suppose it could be considered that.  It's more like gambling in some ways, but not so much like Mikey and Worm.  It's more of a grinding it out process like Kinish.  

Imagine getting those spy-gate 1 tapes? For some reason Goodell had them destroyed. The only thing better would be getting a hold of Brady's cell phone from deflate-gate. Alas, destroyed as well.