IGotWorms

Is it time to get out of the market?

My strategy is to get out individual stocks and buy managed mutual funds. I've came to the conclusion that the guys paid to manage funds are probably better buying and selling stocks that I am. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

My strategy is to get out individual stocks and buy managed mutual funds. I've came to the conclusion that the guys paid to manage funds are probably better buying and selling stocks that I am. 

That's the wrong strategy as well.  The "strategy" is to buy low cost ETF's because they have lower expenses than mutual funds.  JMHO.

37 minutes ago, Strike said:

That's the wrong strategy as well.  The "strategy" is to buy low cost ETF's because they have lower expenses than mutual funds.  JMHO.

Agreed. However, I think Index funds are best for most investors. ETFs and Index funds have their benefits for sure.

That being said ETFs and Index funds beat mutual funds pretty much year in year out. I think Warren buffet had a million-dollar bet that an index fund would beat mutual funds over the course of 10 years. A bet which he won

Yes mutual funds and their fees will eat into Tubbys retirement, but as long as he's investing that's the important thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Agreed. However, I think Index funds are best for most investors. ETFs and Index funds have their benefits for sure.

That being said ETFs and Index funds beat mutual funds pretty much year in year out. I think Warren buffet had a million-dollar bet that an index fund would beat mutual funds over the course of 10 years. A bet which he won

Yes mutual funds and their fees will eat into Tubbys retirement, but as long as he's investing that's the important thing.

You read that tsp strat shiz or what?

1 minute ago, mmmmm...beer said:

You read that tsp strat shiz or what?

I did is that you on the youtube channel?

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

I did is that you on the youtube channel?

No... neither of the you tube guys are me.  The dude with the beard is the creater... the other dude is just a fellow enthusiast.

It's always time to get out of the market for those who don't know what they are doing in the market. Go figure.

13 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

The market dropped over 200 points today because someone caught the fukking flu? GTFOH.

I bought today:

CONE, HRZN, NRZ, CPTA, AMPY, XOM, CAH, BGG, LTC

• Like 1

If by some means it looks like Trump is getting the boot, I'm going to straight cash homie.  

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

If you were going to sell, you should have done it Friday morning.  

Oh great, now you tell me. :mad:

Market has been going up and is over bought in nose bleed levels. "Its a great time to buy" 'Get in now, values are in line".  so say the idiots talking heads. Cramu being one of them.

Today: "market has been way overstretched and values are way out of whack".  🤣

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Buy!  Buy! Buy!

Today I bought: 

XOM

BG

GPC

LEG

BGG

Just bought VIVO. They make the equipment for medical testing for things like the coronavirus.

They have best earnings the last 4 qtrs and meet my dividend requirement

Preparing to sell my Vanguard Long-Term Treasury Fund Investor Shares VUSTX which mirrors TLT.  Got that tip form this Adam Mancini's twitter 2 weeks ago.

nice spike on the ^VIX.  need that puppy to hit 30 or more.

Jim Cramer is telling people today that they can wait a little longer to jump in at lower prices.  There may be another dip if the coronavirus gets declared a global emergency.  I will have to get some money ready to buy.  

I bought some stuff today.  As previously noted, I've got some money ready to go.  So spent some of it.  Nothing fancy.  Just typical ETF's such as I've been recommending Peenie buy.  Will buy some more if there's a further dip.

Just bought VIVO. They make the equipment for medical testing for things like the coronavirus.

They have best earnings the last 4 qtrs and meet my dividend requirement

Did you get it before it jumped 20%?

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Did you get it before it jumped 20%?

I'm at $11.44

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I'm at $11.44

So, after the big jump today.  Still could go higher if they are EBITDA positive.  They have an earnings announcement coming soon.

Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So, after the big jump today.  Still could go higher if they are EBITDA positive.  They have an earnings announcement coming soon.

Hopefully, to be honest it was a stupid buy by me. I don't normally buy the "hot stock" of the day.

4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Hopefully, to be honest it was a stupid buy by me. I don't normally buy the "hot stock" of the day.

If we had been smart, we go with hazmat suit makers.  LAKE and APT are up big today too.  ;)

Maybe get some Dupont (DD) instead as they are down today, but are leaders in that space.  

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

If we had been smart, we go with hazmat suit makers.  LAKE and APT are up big today too.  ;)

Maybe get some Dupont (DD) instead as they are down today, but are leaders in that space.  

I own PFE, CAH

Honestly one of my best performing stocks today has been TAP (beer producer)

21 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I own PFE, CAH

Honestly one of my best performing stocks today has been TAP (beer producer)

MMM taking a big hit today.  I will probably look to jump in if it gets to $165.

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

MMM taking a big hit today.  I will probably look to jump in if it gets to $165.

I saw that. 3M is one of those flagship stocks everyone should own IMHO. I'm sure I will buy more next funding round. Hopefully my tax return comes quickly.

I see VIVO is down big today too. Sucks but that's what I get for not sticking to the plan.

It's times like this I'm thankful for my strategy. I know people who sold out Monday because of the big dip Friday and yesterday. Only to miss today's gains.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I saw that. 3M is one of those flagship stocks everyone should own IMHO. I'm sure I will buy more next funding round. Hopefully my tax return comes quickly.

I see VIVO is down big today too. Sucks but that's what I get for not sticking to the plan.

It's times like this I'm thankful for my strategy. I know people who sold out Monday because of the big dip Friday and yesterday. Only to miss today's gains.

I still think that there is another dip in the making after today. The increase today is not as big as yesterday's drop, so I think that we are just in a period of volatility.  Definitely good to have a plan that you stick with and steer clear of impulse buys.  Almost every time I rush into something, I get burned.  

I have a theory (which isn't original I'm sure) there is so much cash sitting on the sidelines that any dip will be met with people pumping money in. We won't see a "crash" for a long while.

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I have a theory (which isn't original I'm sure) there is so much cash sitting on the sidelines that any dip will be met with people pumping money in. We won't see a "crash" for a long while.

Lots of people have that theory.  There is money on the sidelines, but I am not sure how much of it is really there and how much would actually be put in the market during a dip because they may be holding onto it in case the market continues to drop to recession levels.

22 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Lots of people have that theory.  There is money on the sidelines, but I am not sure how much of it is really there and how much would actually be put in the market during a dip because they may be holding onto it in case the market continues to drop to recession levels.

Maybe I just keep seeing people talking about buying the dip. I just don't know how deep the dip has to be.

I sort of have this same view as long as trump remains in office. A switch there could shake up the market for sure, but even though the economy is cyclical by nature, people associate the good trade deals he has made and the way the stock market has excelled during his presidency and I think it gives a lot of people that mentality that they have cash waiting to invest after decent sized one or two day dips

I know I’ve been doing a lot of short term investing over the last two years. I wait for a blue chip or newly popular stock to pull back 5+% and I buy and play the rebound and sell. 

10 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

How many bailed last week?  When are people jumping back in?

2 ways to look at it.

IF you bailed last week and were strictly in the S&P, you just netted 2.5% vs the field.

However, if a recession gets triggered by the virus, the thing to do is stand on the sidelines if you did not already get into TLT.  The service sector PMI was negative on Friday. Huge miss and a contraction in the sector is not good.The virus could scare the average person to stay home instead of going out and spending $.

Everything is going on sale boys

Man Trump leaves the country for one day and the Dow drops close to a thousand points so far?  Unreal...