IGotWorms

Is it time to get out of the market?

17 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

My decision had nothing to do with the media, even if there is a stock market crash I do not blame the president. The crash of 2007 was not because of Bush and the rise in the current stock market is not because of Obama or Trump.

It was a purely a bad decision based on historical trends. The stock market always goes up for a while and then it crashes. I did not time it correctly and have learned my lesson, you should not try to time the market.

I don't think that any President's effect on the market is as bad as the media loves to portray.  In this case however there are certain factors where Trump deserves credit. He is such a vocal President and proponent of the stock market, that he has an effect on the continued climb.  As long as the market is strong, rates won't move all that much. But it can't go forever, and rates have some room to go down. Obama had low rates his nearly his entire Presidency.  His highest rate was lower than Trump's lowest.  The Fed meets at the end of January, I would now stay in the market until then.  Under Trump, the market has had huge Januarys.

27 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I don't think that any President's effect on the market is as bad as the media loves to portray.  In this case however there are certain factors where Trump deserves credit. He is such a vocal President and proponent of the stock market, that he has an effect on the continued climb.  As long as the market is strong, rates won't move all that much. But it can't go forever, and rates have some room to go down. Obama had low rates his nearly his entire Presidency.  His highest rate was lower than Trump's lowest.  The Fed meets at the end of January, I would now stay in the market until then.  Under Trump, the market has had huge Januarys.

Pulling money out trying to time the market is dumb. Unless you're close to retirement in which case you should already have a fixed income type portfolio.

That's basics.

• Thanks 1

Trump has had a definite positive effect on the markets.  Tax cut, cooperate tax cut, deregulations...etc....

8 hours ago, Bert said:

As Bruce Dickinson said:

Another prophet of disaster
Who says the ship is lost
Leaving you to count the cost
Taunting us with visions
Afflicting us with fear
Predicting war for millions
In the hope that one appears

Love it, but I'm guessing that Steve Harris should probably get the credit? 

Yep. Get out now before Trump wins reelection and totally roons everything. 

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Love it, but I'm guessing that Steve Harris should probably get the credit? 

I think 3 of them wrote it but one said/sang it!

Just now, Bert said:

I think 3 of them wrote it but one said/sang it!

Fair enough.  Up the Irons! 

Melt up in progress. Man, is this gonna end badly for mom and pop investor.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/maybe-time-start-worrying-euphoria-130327629.html

The market has been grinding up slowly over the past months while a lot of money flowed out. Now they are in pure FOMO mode and getting back in. The market has been waiting for this so it can sell off big.

It's all happened before. It will go down at some point, then go back up. What else are people going to do with their money? Get 1pct in a savings account? 

56 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It's all happened before. It will go down at some point, then go back up. What else are people going to do with their money? Get 1pct in a savings account? 

You can get 2% in a money market.  :D

16 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Where did you guys all put your huge Christmas bonus money?  Any good investments sitting out there?

For my TSP and Roth IRA I put everything in Index Funds.  Diversified between Small/Mid/ Large Cap. Very little in International indexes

For my other account, I'm a dividend investor and currently, I'm adding to my 3M (MMM) position. I believe it's going to hit $200 mid-summer next year. But that's not why I buy it. It's a great stable company with a good dividend 3.39 yield

I also like XOM for the same reasons

Both MMM and XOM have increased their dividend every year for last 50+ yeasr

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

For my TSP and Roth IRA I put everything in Index Funds.  Diversified between Small/Mid/ Large Cap. Very little in International indexes

For my other account, I'm a dividend investor and currently, I'm adding to my 3M (MMM) position. I believe it's going to hit $200 mid-summer next year. But that's not why I buy it. It's a great stable company with a good dividend 3.39 yield

I have most of my money in index funds, including some international.  Have some in stocks, but I usually keep some money on the side to play with.  Both 3M and Exxon look to be decent options.  :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I have most of my money in index funds, including some international.  Have some in stocks, but I usually keep some money on the side to play with.  Both 3M and Exxon look to be decent options.  :thumbsup:

Index funds are boring and you're not getting rich overnight with them, but they really are the best investment vehicle for long term growth. 

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Index funds are boring and you're not getting rich overnight with them, but they really are the best investment vehicle for long term growth. 

No doubt.  Have treated me very well over the last 30+ years.  I started saving early.  I just keep some money on the side to have some fun with stocks that I like.  Not big money, but keeps me engaged in what is happening in certain companies.  

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

No doubt.  Have treated me very well over the last 30+ years.  I started saving early.  I just keep some money on the side to have some fun with stocks that I like.  Not big money, but keeps me engaged in what is happening in certain companies.  

:thumbsup: ditto

Not listening to you guys. You told me not to invest in Amazon. <_<

On 7/29/2019 at 2:34 PM, riversco said:

There is absolutely NO sign of a major market top here.  Could there be another small correction? Sure.   But it would be a buying opportunity.  

quoting myself is TIGHT!

2 hours ago, riversco said:

quoting myself is TIGHT!

And it's super easy. Barely an inconvenience. 

On 12/18/2019 at 10:20 AM, Bert said:

As Bruce Dickinson said:

Who says the ship is lost
Leaving you to count the cost
Taunting us with visions
Afflicting us with fear
Predicting war for millions
In the hope that one appears

Wait, did you just quote the biggest tool of the FBG forum?

It's been my best year ever in my 401k... I do a seasonal strategy with indexes.

$297k to $425k in 1 year... woof...

$128,455.20 - $25,844.21 (contributions+5% match) = $102,610.99 pure gains.

+33.42% YTD return

This is definitely gonna be my chase year folks... no matter what happens in the next couple days.
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mmmmm...beer said:
It's been my best year ever in my 401k... I do a seasonal strategy with indexes.

$297k to $425k in 1 year... woof...

$128,455.20 - $25,844.21 (contributions+5% match) = $102,610.99 pure gains.

+33.42% YTD return

This is definitely gonna be my chase year folks... no matter what happens in the next couple days.

It should be a big year. If you remember, the end of 2018 sucked, so much of those gains was recovering from 2018 losses. Still really good, though.

• Like 1

Market looking good to start the new year.  Hopefully people did not have too much cash on the sidelines.

I ended up buying some XOM once the price dropped a bit on Tuesday, so we will see how the Dogs approach works on some of these.  :banana:

15 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I was in all international today.. out cob... buying in bonds the next 10 trading days

What are you expecting for a rate of return on those bad-boys?  Nothing I have seen gets me excited and I still have quite a few years of earning before I retire.  

30 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What are you expecting for a rate of return on those bad-boys?  Nothing I have seen gets me excited and I still have quite a few years of earning before I retire.  

We have another few years of a good bull market. Find a good small/mid/large cap index fund and let that money grow.

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

We have another few years of a good bull market. Find a good small/mid/large cap index fund and let that money grow.

Oh, my money is staying in the market in higher risk vehicles (across all 3 of those areas).  Even if the market tanks, I am still planning on working for another 10-12 years easy and will be continuing to buy during that time.  I won't get risk averse until I am about 5 years out.

I was more trying to figure out what he was getting on bonds because it doesn't seem like much.  :dunno:

3 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Oh, my money is staying in the market in higher risk vehicles (across all 3 of those areas).  Even if the market tanks, I am still planning on working for another 10-12 years easy and will be continuing to buy during that time.  I won't get risk averse until I am about 5 years out.

I was more trying to figure out what he was getting on bonds because it doesn't seem like much.  :dunno:

Yeah I don't get why he's getting into binds either. I'm all for no more than 20% in bonds for safety but right now I wouldn't have more than 5%

5 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Its nothing to write home about... essentially the AGG fund... today as the market burs... it's going to make me +0.30% right now... 

How much money has the liberal media cost Americans?  I would love to know how many people pulled all of their money out of the market in 2016 because they were 100% certain it was going to crash.

Bought BGG this week due to being undervalued IMO And will keep buying it until it hits 3% of my portfolio diversity. 

On 12/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Where did you guys all put your huge Christmas bonus money?  Any good investments sitting out there?

More AMD. Also been playing ROKU dips. I have GE shares but I bought those a while ago and am waiting for my 1 year long term cap gains.  I recently made a short term trade in CSCO for a quick profit.  The only loser I’m holding is Aurora Cannabis. 

On 12/27/2019 at 6:22 AM, Cdub100 said:

Dude you really need to come on over to my tsp group.  I made 33% last year... the majority in our group beat the C fund buy and hold.  We have a few guys hit over 40% in 2019.

3 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Dude you really need to come on over to my tsp group.  I made 33% last year... the majority in our group beat the C fund buy and hold.  We have a few guys hit over 40% in 2019.

2019 was a great year for sure. I didn't hit those kinds of numbers which is okay. I stay as diversified as I can in my TSP. Although I wish we had more options

4 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

2019 was a great year for sure. I didn't hit those kinds of numbers which is okay. I stay as diversified as I can in my TSP. Although I wish we had more options

PM me amd I'll point you over to us.. take a look see what you think.  Its free man.. just a binch of folks trying to get over on the man.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:41 AM, Cdub100 said:

Bought BGG this week due to being undervalued IMO And will keep buying it until it hits 3% of my portfolio diversity. 

BGG has been steadily dropping and I have seen target prices in the $4.00 range.  You think it is going to rebound that much?

On 1/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, mmmmm...beer said:

I think my 401k investments have averaged 27% in trumps 3 years. Simply having an aggressive portfolio.