Raider 84

Dalvin Cook

I don't buy that he's injury prone... Yet. He has missed a lot of games. Tore his ACL which of course he is going to miss the rest of the games that year. Then they completely mismanaged him, pushed him too quickly and he was likely overcompensating, which resulted in the pulled hammy. Until you rest that hammy completely you're going to be in and out of the lineup and ineffective. My point is the two injuries were related.

He's fine as long as you handcuff him with Mattison...

• Like 1

Don't sleep on Cook,...... the Vikings O-Line in pre-season has looked respectable, after being reshaped with better athletic quickness for a team dependent on rushing,... Cook is 100% healthy and has been explosive in camp workouts...My opinion, inflated stats and easily a tier #1 back in 2019....

We'll see...

After 2 seasons eaten up by injury,  he has a lot to prove this season

2 minutes ago, Shaymer said:

Just outside the top group for cook.

In the group with Connor, Chubb. and Nixon.  Early 2nd imo.

Chubb is going top 10 and Nixon has been dead since 1994.

• Haha 3

He went early 2nd in mine which is funny because that’s where he went last season as well and he buried his owners. Usually guys value takes a hit from that but not Dalvin. People are still willing to pay in advance for a breakout season, something I’ve learned is usually bad. He could absolutely break out, but I’d rather get him on sale rather than preorder.

1 hour ago, Maulers1973 said:

Good money says injured by week 5.  Go ahead and draft him.    

will take this bet. whats stakes?

The injury bug has been his is problem. 

But im not sold on him being worth a rb 2 pick just yet.  

To much talk about the other Rbs the Vikings have on roster, Cook should be the rb1 but I can see a strong reason to think there will be a lot of rotation going on during games. 

I'm buying on cook, drafted him at 7 spot in a 12 team snake, got tyreek hill in 2nd.  If I would have taken a WR instead, cook wouldn't have been there in the 2nd.  I'm happy, any wr available at 7 was just as good as Hill in the 2nd.  

Remember Tyrell Davis?  With the Denver blocking scheme in Minnesota, cook will produce!

Crossing fingers on health...

Like T Davis, Cook could turn out to be a migraine headache.  

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

Like T Davis, Cook could turn out to be a migraine headache.  

I posted extensively on Cook in another thread, but it's worth repeating.  He had zero issues in college with injuries.  His injury to his ACL was beyond his control and his hamstring issue last year was a direct result of them pushing him to hard.  Throw in a bottom 5 run blocking line and an offensive coordinator who believed the short passing game was an extension of the running game and you see what the result was.  Bad.  They have an entirely new scheme designed by Kubiak himself.  Who didn't draft any RB in a Kubiak offense?  We all did.  They were always studs.  They've improved at RT and C by a wide margin over last year.  With Pat E. moving over to Guard, they may have improved at 3 spots along the line.  It will also be more zone blocking as opposed to a power running game, which they were ill prepared for.  In short, anything that could be wrong with the running game was.  Now, with the improvements along the line, improvements in the scheme, improvements from the new coordinator.....  I already own him in my dynasty leagues, but have been trying to let people know this entire summer that he's an absolute worthy 2nd rounder.  I have him just outside the top tier of RB's, but only because he isn't likely to catch a ton of passes.  He's had an entire offseason to get back in shape and get healthy.  I don't expect him to be in the top 4 at the position for fantasy purposes, but just outside that group is a real possibility.  Throw in the fact he's in line for a new contract and you have a motivated player with all the other mentioned improvements.....  I was already in on him, but think others are missing the boat.  I'd have zero issues taking him as the 5th/6th running back off the board. 

I was just playing around with the T Davis thing. 

If you recall T Davis did suffer with migraines. 

Just in fun. 

But I’m still to concern with his ability to stay healthy, and you right no issue in college, but he has had the bug in the pros. 

And he will be playing in this level again this season and not in college , so it’s still a concern. 

Plus lots of smoke of the other Vikings Rbs looking real good. 

I can see the Vikings putting Cook on a pitch count, having a good talent of Rbs behind him. 

I understood the T. Davis joke.  I recall his migraine issues.  That was a headache to deal with (pun intended).

The Vikings have only one RB behind Cook.  Mattison has looked good in workouts, but he's not the talent Cook is and he's a rookie.  Nearly every rookie running back has looked good this offseason, so I think it's too easy and simplistic to say any of them are going to supplant their team's running back, or force a committee.....  It won't happen in MN.  I don't think they will keep Cook on a pitch count either.  No need too.  He's not a small back and his only two injuries were the ACL and a hamstring.  The hamstring injury was just from trying to come back too soon from the ACL.  It happens.  I think he's fully recovered and will see his 20 touches per game.  If not, Zimmer will fire the coordinator just like he did the last one for disobeying what he wants to do on offense.  The MN defense can keep them in almost any game.  The offense has to keep them from giving up field position and avoid costly interceptions, which Cousins has a tendency to do with the game on the line. 

I won't keep harping on the reasons to draft Cook.  I've done that too much already, but I would not find it odd if he were going in the later 1st round this coming weekend.  I've seen him sneak into several late 1st round slots lately and his stock seems to be rising.  Hopefully I am correct and he leads the charge to a title for several people.  If he doesn't, what I've stated above is still fact and it's the best conclusion I can come to based on the information available.  Personally, I think it's a longshot that he doesn't become a top tier back this season, but it is the NFL and stuff happens. 

does anybody know if Cook ran in a ZBS scheme in college?

Oh I clearly see two reasons for the Vikings to want to put him on a pitch count , his first two seasons. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Oh I clearly see two reasons for the Vikings to want to put him on a pitch count , his first two seasons. 

You need glasses then.  lol   You absolutely cannot predict an ACL injury and you have to deal with the issues that come after that (Hamstring and Calf injuries).  Nevermind the kid never missed time due to an injury from pee wee league through college.....  Let's totally overlook that.  lol

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

does anybody know if Cook ran in a ZBS scheme in college?

He was in a ZBS at Florida State.  His numbers are below.  They are pretty doggone impressive considering the competition he faced.  Also, he's had two shoulder surgeries and he didn't miss a single game with either.  His Sophomore season he played with an ankle injury and still averaged 7.6 YPC.  The kid was dynamite.  No one can play through an ACL injury and the ACL leads to other injuries from overcompensating when a player returns.  It's common.  I am throwing out his first two NFL seasons.  He's healthy now. 

Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Florida State  
*2014 Florida State ACC FR RB 13 170 1008 5.9 8 22 203 9.2 0 192 1211 6.3 8
*2015 Florida State ACC SO RB 12 229 1691 7.4 19 24 244 10.2 1 253 1935 7.6 20
*2016 Florida State ACC JR RB 13 288 1765 6.1 19 33 488 14.8 1 321 2253 7.0 20

37 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You need glasses then.  lol   You absolutely cannot predict an ACL injury and you have to deal with the issues that come after that (Hamstring and Calf injuries).  Nevermind the kid never missed time due to an injury from pee wee league through college.....  Let's totally overlook that.  lol

Just can’t over look what life in the nfl as been for D Cook in his first two seasons either. 

Or can we? Mmm 

i think he’s loaded with talent, he is without question the best rb on the Vikings and very talented player. 

And I think the Vikings draft Mattison to back him up, but I think Mattison thou he’s no Cook, can also produce, and I’m sorry but sometimes coaches do also. We’ve all seen why to many times coaches make moves that don’t make since, like passing the ball from the one in the super bowl with beast mode in the backfield.  

Im not say D Cook isn’t good, and I don’t see a RBBC, but I do think Mattison will get his fair share, and mostly to protect D Cook as the season goes on. 

Its all good and it’s all about how we feel about certain players, I appreciate that chat with you thanks all this issue.  

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

He was in a ZBS at Florida State.  His numbers are below.  They are pretty doggone impressive considering the competition he faced.  Also, he's had two shoulder surgeries and he didn't miss a single game with either.  His Sophomore season he played with an ankle injury and still averaged 7.6 YPC.  The kid was dynamite.  No one can play through an ACL injury and the ACL leads to other injuries from overcompensating when a player returns.  It's common.  I am throwing out his first two NFL seasons.  He's healthy now. 

Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Florida State  
*2014 Florida State ACC FR RB 13 170 1008 5.9 8 22 203 9.2 0 192 1211 6.3 8
*2015 Florida State ACC SO RB 12 229 1691 7.4 19 24 244 10.2 1 253 1935 7.6 20
*2016 Florida State ACC JR RB 13 288 1765 6.1 19 33 488 14.8 1 321 2253 7.0 20

I just wanted to know if it was ZBS in college.

some players dont do well in that type of system.  Darren McFadden comes to mind as a good example.

If he has thrived in this system in the past and is now playing under Kubiak, the guru of ZBS I'm willing to get on the wagon when and where it makes sense to do so.

I agree on the ACL thing.   More often than not, it is a 1 and a half to 2 year recovery.   While there are players who have done it in less than a year, that is (from what I can see) the exception and not the rule.   and yes, there is a correlation between recovery from ACL surgery and other soft tissue injuries in the year after a surgery.

While it is still something to be concerned about, he was starting to round into form late last year, and that is encouraging. 

I still apply a discount due to the injury, but I'm on board if the price is right.

27 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I just wanted to know if it was ZBS in college.

some players dont do well in that type of system.  Darren McFadden comes to mind as a good example.

If he has thrived in this system in the past and is now playing under Kubiak, the guru of ZBS I'm willing to get on the wagon when and where it makes sense to do so.

I agree on the ACL thing.   More often than not, it is a 1 and a half to 2 year recovery.   While there are players who have done it in less than a year, that is (from what I can see) the exception and not the rule.   and yes, there is a correlation between recovery from ACL surgery and other soft tissue injuries in the year after a surgery.

While it is still something to be concerned about, he was starting to round into form late last year, and that is encouraging. 

I still apply a discount due to the injury, but I'm on board if the price is right.

ZBS is a totally different system that some RB's simply cannot adjust to.  If you Google Dalvin Cook, you'll see what people were saying about him in college and even what some of the Scouts thought of him prior to entering the NFL.  The one thing they pretty much all agreed on is his ability to make a hole where there isn't one.  He's not a player with a great burst through the hole, but he sort of glides through until he hits his second gear.  His 40 time was 4.49, but his ten yard time (what I pay attention to) wasn't great.  It wasn't bad, but not anything extraordinary.  I think his Sparq testing was in the 38th percentile, so again, not great.  It's his vision that made him great at FSU according to the Scouting Reports I read from Google. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Just can’t over look what life in the nfl as been for D Cook in his first two seasons either. 

Or can we? Mmm 

i think he’s loaded with talent, he is without question the best rb on the Vikings and very talented player. 

And I think the Vikings draft Mattison to back him up, but I think Mattison thou he’s no Cook, can also produce, and I’m sorry but sometimes coaches do also. We’ve all seen why to many times coaches make moves that don’t make since, like passing the ball from the one in the super bowl with beast mode in the backfield.  

Im not say D Cook isn’t good, and I don’t see a RBBC, but I do think Mattison will get his fair share, and mostly to protect D Cook as the season goes on. 

Its all good and it’s all about how we feel about certain players, I appreciate that chat with you thanks all this issue.  

One of these days I'm buying you lunch.  Something tells me you would have me laughing out loud.....

48 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

One of these days I'm buying you lunch.  Something tells me you would have me laughing out loud.....

He would tell you all about how life is like a box of chocolates.

• Like 1

Ended up with the #1 pick in a 12 team snake draft last night.  Ughhh…  So I took Barkley (labored between him and Kamara for the entire hour before the draft).  Then at pick 24, Dalvin Cook was still there.  I had to take him.  LOL  Backed him up with Mattison at the end of the draft, sweating the whole time that somebody was going to snag him up on me LOL.

So, If Dalvin lives up to the hype this year, having him and Saquon should be good.  Fingers crossed.....

1 hour ago, unclemercy said:

24th is ridiculous. does maulers manage the other 11 teams?

I haven't seen him fall past the 2.04 in the last week.  If I got him at the 24th slot, I'd be dancing a jig. 

1 hour ago, skydiverd said:

Ended up with the #1 pick in a 12 team snake draft last night.  Ughhh…  So I took Barkley (labored between him and Kamara for the entire hour before the draft).  Then at pick 24, Dalvin Cook was still there.  I had to take him.  LOL  Backed him up with Mattison at the end of the draft, sweating the whole time that somebody was going to snag him up on me LOL.

So, If Dalvin lives up to the hype this year, having him and Saquon should be good.  Fingers crossed.....

I've Saquon and Cook both in my dynasty league. You're focked :wave:

I'm 1 pick in my 10 team league. I'll be happy to take him 2.10/3.01 if he drops. 

I also have him in my dynasty league. When he plays, he produces. Hoping he stays healthy.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:35 AM, dain11279 said:

I've Saquon and Cook both in my dynasty league. You're focked :wave:

Ha ha. Thanks. Perhaps you should drop them both now so I have a chance. 🤒

I'll have you all know.... because I Now have Dalvin Cook on my roster, he is now almost guaranteed to get injured. 

I'm warning you now.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:54 PM, jrokh said:

He's fine as long as you handcuff him with Mattison...

Exactly. Not worried about a pitch count. That may benefit him. He is a homerun back.