Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Who else would love to see Brady play elsewhere???

I sure would and I suspect most non-New Englanders would too.  I think in the right scenario with a solid team around him he could be effective even as the pocket passer systems seem to be dwindling these days in the NFL.  I would love it.  There are some teams that might be a QB away from making some noise.  And it also lets us see Hoodie have to make due with a new QB himself.  Very interesting stuff, IMO.

Thoughts? 

Seeing Brady returing to The Pats would be a good thing, but more fun and interesting would be to see him playing on another team. 

I don’t agree about his ability to help lead a sold team to anything much, I think he’ll need a very good team to make a big difference, you can see how his skills are diffently fading.  

As for the hoodie it well be fun to see if he can win without  Brady. 

If Brady retires I think that would also be a good move for him  

I'd love to see what he could do with Evans, Godwin, Brate, and Howard.  I think Tampa could have the most prolific offense to date.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'd love to see what he could do with Evans, Godwin, Brate, and Howard.  I think Tampa could have the most prolific offense to date.

Brady in that offense would have half the production of Winston, if he could even remain the starter in a Bruce Arians offense that calls for more air yards per target than any other offense.

37 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Brady in that offense would have half the production of Winston, if he could even remain the starter in a Bruce Arians offense that calls for more air yards per target than any other offense.

Brady has averaged over 600 pass attempts (per 16 games), since 2011, so there's not really much that'll change in Tampa.  Add to that, the likelihood that he'll probably have to throw less, simply because of the volume he won't need to partake in, since he won't be turning the ball over.  In 2016 and 2017, there wasn't a big difference in air yards between Carson Palmer and Brady.  The difference is rather small.  Sure, last year the difference between Winston and Brady was significant, but that's because of a huge drop by Brady due to the lack of weapons.  Also, Winston's was higher than Palmer's, because Winston sucks.  A better QB in Tampa won't have to attempt as many passes, nor will an exorbitant amount of air yards be required.

Brady would probably replicate his 2007 or 2011 season.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Just asking this question, you talking about ff wise, or just based on the team.  

FF wise I would need to lower my rankings on both of those WRs , on the field wise, he could help them , but I don’t think that Brady himself as the ability today to take this team anywhere without a better running game.  

Just now, weepaws said:

Just asking this question, you talking about ff wise, or just based on the team.  

FF wise I would need to lower my rankings on both of those WRs , on the field wise, he could help them , but I don’t think that Brady himself as the ability today to take this team anywhere without a better running game.  

I'd say both.  When you have a QB throw for 5000+ yards and 50+ TD's, there's a lot of receptions, yards, and TD's to go around.  The Bucs don't have a ton of passing options after the 4 I mentioned.  Are all 4 going to get all of the yards and TD's?  No, but I think Brate gets knocked down a lot.  I think both Evans and Godwin are good for around 2700 yards and 25 TD's.  I think Howard would get about 900 yards and 6 TD's.  Brate would probably be around 500 and 4.  Sure, that's around 4000 yards and 35 TD's, I think 1000 yards and 15 TD's would be spread to other weapons.  I don't see why you'd shy away from any of those receivers from being #1's or Howard for that matter.  Now, injuries could play a part.  Anyone taking Howard would be playing with fire since he's missed games every year, but that would go into general evaluations.

Jones would instantly be better with Brady back there and the Bucs could go out and draft another RB.  It's not like there aren't a bunch available in every draft.  They could also go out and sign a guy like Jordan Howard too.  My biggest concern for the Bucs would be whether they could upgrade the OLine.

Don’t agree that Jones would become a better rb because of Brady.  

Howard would be the only one I can see benefit from Brady.  

But in that type of system, I don’t think Brady has the game for those players to produce those number. 

I would have to lower their respective rankings, all but Howard. 

I don’t think Jones is all that great, don’t see Brady of today making him better.  

One thing I know that would happen, more ticket sales.  

Godwin and Evans in non ppr both avg over 12 ff points per game, and that with a Qb that throw for 30plus tds, but also throw for over 5000 yards, I can see Brady hitting 39 tds but he passing yards, so yeah own would diffently see a difference in their production. 

Brady should retire, but if he doesn’t Id love to see go to a contender.  Nothing would be better than to see him go out in a train wreck season like tanking a good, up and coming team with talented skill players.

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

Brady should retire, but if he doesn’t Id love to see go to a contender.  Nothing would be better than to see him go out in a train wreck season like tanking a good, up and coming team with talented skill players.

The Jaguars?

Here is the full list of odds on where Tom Brady will play next season a/o 1/10/2020 from Westgate SuperBook:

• New England Patriots -400
  • Retire 4-1
  • Los Angeles Chargers 5-1
  • Oakland Raiders 6-1
  • Denver Broncos 10-1
  • Carolina Panthers 10-1
  • Cleveland Browns 15-1
  • Tennessee Titans 18-1
  • Chicago Bears 20-1
  • Miami Dolphins 20-1
  • Field 5-2

14 hours ago, Showboat said:

The Jaguars?

No, the Jags suck.  He might actually make them better.

I'm a Pats homer, and I hope he goes elsewhere or retires. His skills are obviously diminishing, and I don't want the Pats to overpay ( or even simply pay) for him. I'd rather they use the money to build up elsewhere, plus I'd like to see what they can do without him.

The other day I was driving home from work listening to local sports radio. They were saying there are rumblings that Brady is softening his stance, and would consider take the hometown discount. I shouted "No" so loud I think the guy in the car next to me looked over at me.

It's been a great run, but it's time to move on.

16 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

I'm a Pats homer, and I hope he goes elsewhere or retires. His skills are obviously diminishing, and I don't want the Pats to overpay ( or even simply pay) for him. I'd rather they use the money to build up elsewhere, plus I'd like to see what they can do without him.

The other day I was driving home from work listening to local sports radio. They were saying there are rumblings that Brady is softening his stance, and would consider take the hometown discount. I shouted "No" so loud I think the guy in the car next to me looked over at me.

I think the guy was looking at you to see if you were going to do the triple lindy.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:43 AM, Ironmen said:

Here is the full list of odds on where Tom Brady will play next season a/o 1/10/2020 from Westgate SuperBook:

• New England Patriots -400
  • Retire 4-1
  • Los Angeles Chargers 5-1
  • Oakland Raiders 6-1
  • Denver Broncos 10-1
  • Carolina Panthers 10-1
  • Cleveland Browns 15-1
  • Tennessee Titans 18-1
  • Chicago Bears 20-1
  • Miami Dolphins 20-1
  • Field 5-2

I can definitely see John Elway paying up for Brady.  Mike Mayock won't.  I'd take NE, DEN, or the field.  I don't think he's going to retire.

I can definitely see John Elway paying up for Brady.  Mike Mayock won't.  I'd take NE, DEN, or the field.  I don't think he's going to retire.

I think Denver is just fine with Drew Lock as their QB of the future.  They went 4-1 with Lock to end the season, including a win over the 4th seed in the AFC (Houston), losing only to the eventual Super Bowl champs, the Chiefs.  They would probably see Brady as a step back at this point.

Of the teams on that list, Panthers would be the one. 

14 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I think Denver is just fine with Drew Lock as their QB of the future.  They went 4-1 with Lock to end the season, including a win over the 4th seed in the AFC (Houston), losing only to the eventual Super Bowl champs, the Chiefs.  They would probably see Brady as a step back at this point.

I don't discount this, but I still wouldn't put it past Elway.

Honestly I'd love to see Brady retire.

Too often we see players continue to play past their expiry date.   When you have to witness this, its more sad than anything.

I'd rather he retire so I dont have to see this happen.

Its no fun seeing a player with nothing left in the tank putting in the motions as a shadow of their former self.

Love him or hate him, you will derive no satisfaction seeing this.

Some of you may feel differently, but this is my opinion.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 8:19 AM, Thornton Melon said:

I would absolutely love to see Brady go to the Dolphins and stick it to the pats twice per season for the next 3 years. 

Is there fanbase for the NFL out there who come off more spoiled than pat fans? 

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Honestly I'd love to see Brady retire.

Too often we see players continue to play past their expiry date.   When you have to witness this, its more sad than anything.

I'd rather he retire so I dont have to see this happen.

Its no fun seeing a player with nothing left in the tank putting in the motions as a shadow of their former self.

Love him or hate him, you will derive no satisfaction seeing this.

Some of you may feel differently, but this is my opinion.

I feel differently about it, I would like to see him play with another team next season, not to see him fail, or even succeed, but just see him on another team would be cool. 

On 1/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, RoadLizard said:

I sure would and I suspect most non-New Englanders would too.  I think in the right scenario with a solid team around him he could be effective even as the pocket passer systems seem to be dwindling these days in the NFL.  I would love it.  There are some teams that might be a QB away from making some noise.  And it also lets us see Hoodie have to make due with a new QB himself.  Very interesting stuff, IMO.

Thoughts? 

i would love to see him retired. hate that smug son of a . GO BRONCOS!

On 1/10/2020 at 3:48 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

I'd say both.  When you have a QB throw for 5000+ yards and 50+ TD's, there's a lot of receptions, yards, and TD's to go around.  The Bucs don't have a ton of passing options after the 4 I mentioned.  Are all 4 going to get all of the yards and TD's?  No, but I think Brate gets knocked down a lot.  I think both Evans and Godwin are good for around 2700 yards and 25 TD's.  I think Howard would get about 900 yards and 6 TD's.  Brate would probably be around 500 and 4.  Sure, that's around 4000 yards and 35 TD's, I think 1000 yards and 15 TD's would be spread to other weapons.  I don't see why you'd shy away from any of those receivers from being #1's or Howard for that matter.  Now, injuries could play a part.  Anyone taking Howard would be playing with fire since he's missed games every year, but that would go into general evaluations.

Jones would instantly be better with Brady back there and the Bucs could go out and draft another RB.  It's not like there aren't a bunch available in every draft.  They could also go out and sign a guy like Jordan Howard too.  My biggest concern for the Bucs would be whether they could upgrade the OLine.

well, one of brady's best seasons was where they had two pass catching TE's.   Tampa has Brate and OJ howard.

if he went over with an OC capable of putting together an offense similar to the two TE offense the Pats ran with Hernandez and Gronk.

If there was one location that would be interesting..... this would be it.

At that point I"d say both TE's may be good for huge numbers if Brady can keep it together.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

well, one of brady's best seasons was where they had two pass catching TE's.   Tampa has Brate and OJ howard.

if he went over with an OC capable of putting together an offense similar to the two TE offense the Pats ran with Hernandez and Gronk.

If there was one location that would be interesting..... this would be it.

At that point I"d say both TE's may be good for huge numbers if Brady can keep it together.

I would agree with you if the Bucs didn't have great WR's (possibly the best 1/2 tandem in the league), and a coach and OC that don't run a lot of plays designed to get the TE the ball.  I also think Tampa is likely to cut Brate to save $6M in cap space.

I would agree with you if the Bucs didn't have great WR's (possibly the best 1/2 tandem in the league), and a coach and OC that don't run a lot of plays designed to get the TE the ball.  I also think Tampa is likely to cut Brate to save $6M in cap space.

That would make sense, but if they keep him, this would be a valid reason to do so.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, remote controller said:

The prudent move for Kraft would have been to kept Brady and Coach McDaniel and traded Bill for picks.

McDaniel? 🤣

The word is that, if Brady exits New England, the Patriots will look to trade for a QB.  But they will take a $13 million cap hit if Brady leaves.  And any veteran QB they trade for will cost the Patriots $20 million per year, minimum.  So they would be tying up $33 million in the QB position and it will be someone lesser than Tom Brady.  This suggests that the Patriots will be required to trade for a QB still on his rookie deal.  And again, they liked Baker Mayfield in the draft.  The guy who drafted Baker Mayfield has been fired in Cleveland.  Just wondering if the Browns would send him out for a collection of picks.  The stars still seem to align here.

1 hour ago, riversco said:

And again, they liked Baker Mayfield in the draft.  The guy who drafted Baker Mayfield has been fired in Cleveland. 

Yeah, but now the Patriots have had a chance to see Mayfield in action in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yeah, but now the Patriots have had a chance to see Mayfield in action in the NFL.

But it sounds like Belichick wants to prove he can win without Brady.  So rehabbing Mayfield would be in-line with what Belichick wants to do.

2 hours ago, riversco said:

The word is that, if Brady exits New England, the Patriots will look to trade for a QB.  But they will take a $13 million cap hit if Brady leaves.  And any veteran QB they trade for will cost the Patriots $20 million per year, minimum.  So they would be tying up $33 million in the QB position and it will be someone lesser than Tom Brady.  This suggests that the Patriots will be required to trade for a QB still on his rookie deal.  And again, they liked Baker Mayfield in the draft.  The guy who drafted Baker Mayfield has been fired in Cleveland.  Just wondering if the Browns would send him out for a collection of picks.  The stars still seem to align here.

isnt Brady a free agent?   if he leaves, there should be no cap hit at all. 

what am I missing here?

42 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

isnt Brady a free agent?   if he leaves, there should be no cap hit at all. 

what am I missing here?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/06/new-tom-brady-contract-pushes-13-5-million-in-cap-space-to-2020/

Based on a report from Albert Breer of SI.com that Brady’s new deal includes a signing bonus of $20.25 million, the proration dynamic pushed two thirds of that amount out of 2019 and into future years. With the contract voiding after 2019, that two-thirds chunk of the bonus ($13.5 million) will hit the cap in 2020.

ouch

Panthers, that would be a good team for Brady. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, weepaws said:

Panthers, that would be a good team for Brady. 

with no pass catching tight ends on the roster?  I'm not so sure about that.

If I was going to pickup a guy like Brady, I'd want to acquire a top notch pass catching TE (or two).

I think it is clear that Brady performs better with a TE centric offense.     You can do some interesting things with that style of offense to put pressure on a defense and I think it would be a waste of Brady's talents to put him in a situation where he didnt have a good TE to throw the ball to.

Don’t know Brady perform pretty good with R moss before Gronk was on the team. 

But who’s to say that the Panthers wouldn’t seek after a good rec te if they sign Brady  

Plus matching him with a player like Mccaffery who seems to be pretty good in the passing game seems like a good fit. 

Plus two good young WRs.  

I see a good  matchup.  

On 2/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Ray_T said:

with no pass catching tight ends on the roster?  I'm not so sure about that.

If I was going to pickup a guy like Brady, I'd want to acquire a top notch pass catching TE (or two).

I think it is clear that Brady performs better with a TE centric offense.     You can do some interesting things with that style of offense to put pressure on a defense and I think it would be a waste of Brady's talents to put him in a situation where he didnt have a good TE to throw the ball to.

If TE's are the main focus, Brady's options are really limited to just what, 1 or 2 teams?  When you look at the good TE's in the league, those teams are all pretty much locked in with their QB, no?

• Phiily: Ertz - Wentz
  • NYG: Engram - Jones
  • Min: Rudolph - Cousins
  • SF: Kittle - Garoppolo
  • KC: Kelce - Mahomes
  • CLE: Njoku - Mayfield
  • NO: Jared Cook - Brees (or Bridgewater) - though this is a great fit... can't imagine the Saints moving on from 38 year old Brees for 40 year old Brady
  • LAC: Hunter Henry - Free Agent and always hurt
  • Pit: McDonald - Roethlisberger

If TE's are the focal point, Tampa is his only option... unless the Raiders give up on Carr, which I don't think they will because of the cap hit (unless they trade him).  As Weepaws pointed out, Brady's best season (probably), was 2007 where he had Welker and Moss with his best TE being Ben Watson with on 49 targets.  Ray, if you are right and Brady will want to target a team with a good pass catching TE... I think he's going to retire, LOL.  Tampa is his best option, but I don't see the Bucs ponying up $35-$40M per year for at least 3 years.

I suppose it is always an option to draft a TE.

top two TE prospects appear to be:

Cole Kmet TE, Notre Dame

and 

Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue

Both have potential, but I suspect neither is a franchise TE.

I think Kmet has the better upside because they seem to use him in a more versatile role.  Hes started on either side next to the tackles, they play him out of the slot, andin a reduced split or out wide.

hes a good route runner, but not a particularly strong blocker.

YOu are also missing Hockensen from Detroit and Noah Fant in Denver.

Hockenson put up 367 yards in his rookie year while the team was running with some questionable QB play due to STaffords injury.   For a rookie year, this is pretty solid.  I'd expect a nice breakout for him next year.

Fant put up some solid numbers this year with questionable QB play in Denver.

I dont see the Lions replacing Stafford, but I could easily see Denver putting up the cash to lure Brady over there. 

Maybe they keep Fant and use a second round pick to grab Kmet and try to run the 2 TE scheme that New England ran with Hernandez and Gronk.  

Either way, I'd say that Denver is an option