Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Cancelling School Year

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Some of you really have a negative opinion towards teachers.

That's because they're essentially Millenials.  They're entitled, overpaid, under worked, and complain about everything, even though they themselves are the cause of their problems.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TimmySmith said:

I haven't seen this, perhaps I missed it.  :dunno:

There were two posts just in this thread that had some negative connotations to them.  Maybe they don't actually have a negative opinion towards them, it just came off that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

You can teach him way more man..he can be ahead ...trust me...abcs and 123s..give him a solid basis in those and he will be fine.   He will be fine...keep him away from the tech and play stuff where he has to think...you get the idea

I am. we are working on sight words and things but without some sort of summer school I am not sure he is going to be prepared and I do not want him to always be a step behind. He is already hyper and I do not need for the teachers to key in on anything else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's because they're essentially Millenials.  They're entitled, overpaid, under worked, and complain about everything, even though they themselves are the cause of their problems.

Case in point:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=14581

 

I mean, why should someone have to earn an "A" from an Ivy league school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There were two posts just in this thread that had some negative connotations to them.  Maybe they don't actually have a negative opinion towards them, it just came off that way.

I expect there will be animosity that they are getting paid for doing absolutely nothing.  Unlike other government workers who will attempt to work from home.  Not a slight on them as much it is a slight on the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TimmySmith said:

I expect there will be animosity that they are getting paid for doing absolutely nothing.  Unlike other government workers who will attempt to work from home.  Not a slight on them as much it is a slight on the situation.

I think a lot of people have little to no knowledge as to what teachers actually do all year, even when not in the classroom.  I was one of those people until my wife became a teacher, along with other family members and friends.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Personal problems?

Over 50% of states tax revenue goes to former educators.  That’s a personal problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Over 50% of states tax revenue goes to former educators.  That’s a personal problem. 

Ok, but what does that have to do with current teachers?  Is your statement even accurate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Ok, but what does that have to do with current teachers?

For every one teacher we all know that puts in a ton of work, we all can point to another 10 that work 6 hours a day and call it good.  They're also making a lot of money (in NJ, the average teacher - statewide is making over $50k), along with a phenomenal medical plan for their whole family at virtually no cost, and a great retirement plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for my younger son (I know this whole mess is above my sons feelings) but he is bummed he worked so hard all these years he doesn’t get to enjoy his senior year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

For every one teacher we all know that puts in a ton of work, we all can point to another 10 that work 6 hours a day and call it good.  They're also making a lot of money (in NJ, the average teacher - statewide is making over $50k), along with a phenomenal medical plan for their whole family at virtually no cost, and a great retirement plan.

I can't imagine you have any real data to back up your claims on how many teachers put in what amount of work.  I agree that not all put in the same amount of work but that goes for every profession.  Some teachers do get paid well but many have put in the time and effort to earn that.  Those salaries are not guaranteed either.  My wife's salaries changes every year based on what classes they need her to teach.  Her school struggles to keep enrollment up so classes change every year.  Some years she make less than the year before.  Luckily my wife has he Masters and coaches so she's able to make more than the average teacher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I can't imagine you have any real data to back up your claims on how many teachers put in what amount of work.  I agree that not all put in the same amount of work but that goes for every profession.  Some teachers do get paid well but many have put in the time and effort to earn that.  Those salaries are not guaranteed either.  My wife's salaries changes every year based on what classes they need her to teach.  Her school struggles to keep enrollment up so classes change every year.  Some years she make less than the year before.  Luckily my wife has he Masters and coaches so she's able to make more than the average teacher.

I'll throw that back at you... I can't imagine you have any real data to back up your claims on how many teachers put in what amount of work.  I can tell you that I have first hand knowledge of teachers that do exactly what I mentioned in my post.

Maybe you guys need to move to NJ then, as every public school teacher is guaranteed to keep their job (after 4 years of work), and guaranteed their pay... regardless of how many kids are in their class.  A teacher's pay here NEVER goes down.  They negotiate a contract every couple years with guaranteed raises.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceancity/nj-school-districts-pay-teachers-most-least-2019

Feel free to peruse this list.  The only school's that don't have an average teacher salary over $50k are charter schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I can't imagine you have any real data to back up your claims on how many teachers put in what amount of work.  I agree that not all put in the same amount of work but that goes for every profession.  Some teachers do get paid well but many have put in the time and effort to earn that.  Those salaries are not guaranteed either.  My wife's salaries changes every year based on what classes they need her to teach.  Her school struggles to keep enrollment up so classes change every year.  Some years she make less than the year before.  Luckily my wife has he Masters and coaches so she's able to make more than the average teacher.

Enrollment issues?  Sounds like a private school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'll throw that back at you... I can't imagine you have any real data to back up your claims on how many teachers put in what amount of work.  I can tell you that I have first hand knowledge of teachers that do exactly what I mentioned in my post.

Maybe you guys need to move to NJ then, as every public school teacher is guaranteed to keep their job (after 4 years of work), and guaranteed their pay... regardless of how many kids are in their class.  A teacher's pay here NEVER goes down.  They negotiate a contract every couple years with guaranteed raises.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceancity/nj-school-districts-pay-teachers-most-least-2019

Feel free to peruse this list.  The only school's that don't have an average teacher salary over $50k are charter schools.

I already admitted that I know there are bad teachers.  I also never threw out any numbers like you did so I don't see why I would need to provide any data.  I have first hand knowledge as well, cool.

It sounds like you are basing your opinion of all teachers on what is happening where you live.  How things are where you live does not represent the rest of the country.

I tried to look up where over 50% of state tax revenue goes to former teachers and couldn't find it.  Best I could find was over 50% goes to education and health services and there were many different things that fell into those categories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Enrollment issues?  Sounds like a private school.

It's a public school that is in a small town.  Most of there student come from two small towns and rural areas.  It is a low income area and there are not as many kids in that area as there use to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

Michigan here .I knew this was going to happen and have already talked to his mom about it. The boy is in K and I am not prepared to send him on to 1st on a half year of K. He's not ready and he is gonna struggle. 

My wife is a first-grade teacher. She's the teacher other teachers send their kids to. If you want I can talk to her about sending you some test and she can evaluate and tell you if your kid will be ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It sounds like you are basing your opinion of all teachers on what is happening where you live.  How things are where you live does not represent the rest of the country.

Yes, this is the only information that I have where I know a lot of what's going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

My wife is a first-grade teacher. She's the teacher other teachers send their kids to. If you want I can talk to her about sending you some test and she can evaluate and tell you if your kid will be ready.

Unless he goes to summer school he is not going to be ready . I am going to continue to work with him for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes, this is the only information that I have where I know a lot of what's going on.

So, you're basing your opinion about all teacher on what's happening in your state.  From a quick search it looks like New Jersey pays their teachers one of the highest salaries in the nation, second only to Washington D.C.  The average teacher in New Jersey is getting a starting salary of over $50, 000.  That's crazy high.  My wife has been teaching for 15 years and hasn't made it to $60,000 yet, and that's including having her Masters and getting paid extra to coach.

Looks like your issue is with your state, not teachers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Unless he goes to summer school he is not going to be ready . I am going to continue to work with him for sure. 

I mean I'm offering free help from a person with a master's in early education and 17 years experience...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife puts in a ton of extra hours each week and she gets paid okay, but not a lot for what she does...  But as she says, you don't go into teaching (K-12) looking to make serious money, if you are expecting that, you are in the wrong field...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I mean I'm offering free help from a person with a master's in early education and 17 years experience...

were doing the abc academy and I am going to do the kahn also. I want to see if that is a viable way for him to learn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So, you're basing your opinion about all teacher on what's happening in your state.  From a quick search it looks like New Jersey pays their teachers one of the highest salaries in the nation, second only to Washington D.C.  The average teacher in New Jersey is getting a starting salary of over $50, 000.  That's crazy high.  My wife has been teaching for 15 years and hasn't made it to $60,000 yet, and that's including having her Masters and getting paid extra to coach.

Looks like your issue is with your state, not teachers.

No, I'm basing my opinion of all NJ teachers based on what's happening in my state.  I expect the schools in NJ to do what they always do... pretend it's about the students when it's always about the teachers.

Here's an example, here, teachers - by contract - can not be made to work after June 30th.  About 10 years ago, we had a bad winter... and of course, it happened in a year where school started late (we always start the Wednesday after Labor Day).  Well, because of all the school closings because of snow and a hurricane, school would have to go past June 30th.  The teachers' union wouldn't allow for the teachers to work into July.  Teachers also have in their contracts that they get a minimum number of days off of holidays.  Meaning, if they get off 2 days for Presidents day weekend, teachers are guaranteed 1 day off.  At Easter/Spring Break, teachers are guaranteed 3 days off.  So, of the 21 days that had to be made up that year... instead of going to July 8th, the teachers said that they would give up the days off to finish school on June 28th.  The concession from the towns?  Teachers were allowed to take off more than 2 personal days off in a row.  So what ended up happening was during Spring Break, virtually every teacher took personal time during the days they were supposed to be off in the first place... but the kids still went.  Basically, teachers got off and the students were given busy work.  F' them azzholes.  They do that kind of stuff all the time.  On top of that, teachers are perfectly happy with programs for kids being cancelled so that they can get a 3.5% raise instead of a 3% raise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So, you're basing your opinion about all teacher on what's happening in your state.  From a quick search it looks like New Jersey pays their teachers one of the highest salaries in the nation, second only to Washington D.C.  The average teacher in New Jersey is getting a starting salary of over $50, 000.  That's crazy high.  My wife has been teaching for 15 years and hasn't made it to $60,000 yet, and that's including having her Masters and getting paid extra to coach.

Looks like your issue is with your state, not teachers.

Not apples to apples anyway.  
 

$50K in NJ is much different then $50K in A salary of $65,000 in Des Moines, Iowa should increase to $123,417 in Jersey City, New Jersey (assumptions include Homeowner, no Child Care, and Taxes are not considered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Not apples to apples anyway.  
 

$50K in NJ is much different then $50K in Iowa.  

I know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I know that.

Adjusted for cost of living vs other states, it looks like your wife is doing quite well.  
 

$50K starting salary in NJ is peanuts.   The median home price is probably 4 times what it is in Iowa.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're handling out computers this week here.  Providing internet to those that don't  have it.  Should be online schooling next week.  It'd be dumb to end the year across the state because some schools can't figure it out.  But you never know with the dumbfuck governor we have in Minnesota. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Adjusted for cost of living vs other states, it looks like your wife is doing quite well.  
 

$50K starting salary in NJ is peanuts.   The median home price is probably 4 times what it is in Iowa.  

$50k is good when you consider they don't pay anything really in medical coverage.  I pay more in 3 months than a teacher pays in a year.  On top of that, they don't have any out of pocket costs... no co-pays, no subscriber costs to balance the doctor bills, nothing.  Plus, they get a great pension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Adjusted for cost of living vs other states, it looks like your wife is doing quite well.  
 

$50K starting salary in NJ is peanuts.   The median home price is probably 4 times what it is in Iowa.  

She is doing well but she's worked hard to get where she is and has come close to losing her job in the past there because of the lack of enrollment.  The extras she does helps with the higher pay.  She still puts in far more hours than I do certain times of the year but I make a little more.

I know a couple people who live in NJ.  One of them is a teacher.  I sent her a message to see what she makes.  I know she has a small home and it's ridiculously expensive.  My house would sell for over a million easily there but would only sell for around $250,000-$300,000 here.

My friend from NJ responded.  She makes 71k in her 18th year with her masters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting last week my daughter's elementary school has gone to online learning.  The teacher has a 2 or 3 online meetings with the whole class each day on Google Meet and they are trying to still get through all the planned teaching for the school year.  She sends out a schedule for each day listing what the students need to complete and teaches them during the virtual class sessions.  It has been surprisingly OK so far considering the wife and I are also working from home now as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Unless he goes to summer school he is not going to be ready . I am going to continue to work with him for sure. 

How old will your son be in first grade based on your plan?

As a comparison, I was 5-6 in first grade.  Kids are now 7-8 and in first grade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It's a public school that is in a small town.  Most of there student come from two small towns and rural areas.  It is a low income area and there are not as many kids in that area as there use to be.

Still, she has at least a bit of job security. People are going to say a lot of thoughtless stuff around you for a while, just realize that everyone is suffering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Still, she has at least a bit of job security. People are going to say a lot of thoughtless stuff around you for a while, just realize that everyone is suffering.

Yeah.  We're not worried.  We are very lucky compared to what many others have to do through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw I find it so stupid schools won't take home school action because a small percentage of students don't have internet access. Typical government. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Btw I find it so stupid schools won't take home school action because a small percentage of students don't have internet access. Typical government. 

How much are kids really missing out on in the last couple months of school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Btw I find it so stupid schools won't take home school action because a small percentage of students don't have internet access. Typical government. 

I have seen zero kids without cell phones. Zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I have seen zero kids without cell phones. Zero.

Bingo! They are assuming kids don't have internet access.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Bingo! They are assuming kids don't have internet access.

They are trying to push the Obama phone again, you'll notice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

How much are kids really missing out on in the last couple months of school?

Umm... the last couple months?  :unsure:

I'm intrigued with how this whole school thing plays out, on all levels.  If some schools are shut down for the semester, do you graduate them to the next level?  I could just imagine the backlash from parents because their little Johnny shouldn't be penalized because of the coronavirus...  Humanities could just be a void in knowledge, but subjects like STEM and languages tend to build on each other.  Didn't finish algebra?  No problem, here is calculus, who needs prereqs?  :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×