Sign in to follow this  
Report: NFL to propose Rooney Rule change that includes draft-pick incentives for minority hiring...

44 minutes ago, The Observer said:

NFL keeps making great moves. Despite some people whining like little girls, it just keeps getting better and better and more popular. They are also smart enough to know that they don't benefit from having the marquee players getting seriously injured. They also know, that with fantasy football especially, 35-27 games are much better than 7-3 games. One great decision after another. That's why it's more popular than the other sports combined

Their popularity is based 1 thing only, gambling.  Nothing else.

Owners want a coach/GM/front office guys they can go play golf with. Why would you hire someone that is banned at the country club?

12 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Their popularity is based 1 thing only, gambling.  Nothing else.

2 things.  Fantasy also

Agree with everyone who said the quality of NFL football has gone way downhill. The refereeing is atrocious and the league watered it’s own product down by having football 3-4 days of the week and playing games overseas. It’s just going to get worse once the pipeline of new players starts to shrink due to CTE. Gambling and fantasy is what’s keeping the league afloat.

These proposals are DOA.

5 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Fighting racism and inequality with more racism and inequality seems to be a non-starter.

What happened to people earning and proving their way up the ladder?

That's RACIST and clearly your white privilege talking. :mad:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

People stopped watching the NFL when Kap took a knee but barley blink an eye at this. Guess what? Kap won.

No he lost but not because the NFL did a thing.  The free market stepped in and said they did not want to hear about it.  The sponsors demanded the networks stop covering the protests or they would pull their commercials.  If every player took a knee at the next game the cameras would be on the coaches and owners standing.  No attention no protest. 

This thing is just a stupid reallocation of resources between owners and teams.  If Pittsburgh jumps over Cleveland for a draft pick it is just one billionaire owner punishing another billionaire owner.  I doubt any team is going to hire the 2nd best candidate so they can improve in the 3rd round.  If they do the better candidate will be scooped up by another team. 

If the NFL wants to throw money it has already earned into some community initiative to make it look like they cared instead of the pockets of the owners who cares?   It costs the people watching nothing. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

4/32 coaches are minorities now, considering NFL is 99% black or white, 12.5% of the coaches are minorites almost the same as number of blacks in society

Did you know white people make up 13% of the NFL population yet only commit 0.1% of offseason crimes?

15 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

No he lost but not because the NFL did a thing.  The free market stepped in and said they did not want to hear about it.  The sponsors demanded the networks stop covering the protests or they would pull their commercials.  If every player took a knee at the next game the cameras would be on the coaches and owners standing.  No attention no protest. 

This thing is just a stupid reallocation of resources between owners and teams.  If Pittsburgh jumps over Cleveland for a draft pick it is just one billionaire owner punishing another billionaire owner.  I doubt any team is going to hire the 2nd best candidate so they can improve in the 3rd round.  If they do the better candidate will be scooped up by another team. 

If the NFL wants to throw money it has already earned into some community initiative to make it look like they cared instead of the pockets of the owners who cares?   It costs the people watching nothing. 

I don't doubt it for one second that teams wouldn't hire a less qualified person for a position to load up on draft picks. Especially a team in rebuild mode. Teams trade away multiple draft picks every year to move up ten spots, happens all the time. Affirmative Action in the NFL. Trash league.

Its quite amusing to watch reporters in the mainstream media suck the NFL's schlong over this while the comments section of the articles are totally against it.

12 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I don't doubt it for one second that teams wouldn't hire a less qualified person for a position to load up on draft picks. Especially a team in rebuild mode. Teams trade away multiple draft picks every year to move up ten spots, happens all the time. Affirmative Action in the NFL. Trash league.

Yea but not 6 spots in the 3rd round.  If they are that stupid that is why they are in rebuild mode.  Rumor was Washington wanted Tomlin for a high round pick and Pit was not interested.  That is the value of a head coach not moving up 6 spots in the 3rd round.  It is a nice bone to a team that hired a minority but that is it. 

Even as minority, the Rooney Rule is as stupid as it is offensive. 

I'd be embarrassed to know I got an interview just bcoz I was brown.  

Amazing that not one, but two teams could have been rewarded for hiring Hue Jackson under this proposal. 

19 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Yea but not 6 spots in the 3rd round.  If they are that stupid that is why they are in rebuild mode.  Rumor was Washington wanted Tomlin for a high round pick and Pit was not interested.  That is the value of a head coach not moving up 6 spots in the 3rd round.  It is a nice bone to a team that hired a minority but that is it. 

It's still an advantage for nothing other than being a minority. What about the situation where the minority is the better hire? Anyone thought of that? You get the better coach and you get to move up 6 spots plus all the other crap. We're we all just assuming the minority wasn't the better hire? If so that makes this even more funny to me.

I’ll go for this if they also penalize teams for employing human garbage that get arrested for things like armed robbery.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

We're we all just assuming the minority wasn't the better hire? If so that makes this even more funny to me.

I agree there.  That always happens with affirmative action.  They hurt the legitimate candidate because people always believe they were not worthy.  Liberals being liberals, go figure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’ll go for this if they also penalize teams for employing human garbage that get arrested for things like armed robbery.  

Love that idea.  Player beats a woman - lose a 3rd round pick.  Player gets is a bar fight - 7th round.  Ray Carruth somebody - next two first rounders.  That would make the owners look hard at character before drafting. 

If you are white coach and let a black man impregnate your wife, then your team gets a 6th rounder.

5 minutes ago, riversco said:

If you are white coach and let a black man impregnate your wife, then your team gets a 6th rounder.

Could you up it to a first round pick if you let a black guy shoot your teenage boy and impregnate your daughtet after he beats her into submission?

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Could you up it to a first round pick if you let a black guy shoot your teenage boy and impregnate your daughtet after he beats her into submission?

Gotta be televised.  The white guy also needs to chant "I'm a racist" while all of that happens.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, The Observer said:

2 things.  Fantasy also

Agreed. I think I mentioned that in my earlier post (may have been in another post though).   That's just another form of gambling, as I see it.

• Like 1

Notice that this entire thing is universally despised and totally offensive in every aspect.   But the left will defend it by saying they floated the idea as a marketing ploy to win favor with certain demographics.  Imagine if the a report came out and it said the NFL was planning on banning all blacks from the game.  I'm sure they would want an anal probe of all 32 owners.

Capella over on the crap board has come out as full blown racist as he defends this idea.  He argues because there was worse racism in the past, that is proposal is OK.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:51 AM, BufordT said:

The only real answer to this supposed problem is to get more black owners in there.  I don't believe there are any black owners/principle owners/majority owners in the league at this point in time.  Until this changes, they'll always have to artificially fill positions with gimmicks like this.

To me, the real answer would be to video tape the interviews, and then 7 years later (arbitrary number), that video is released.  Full transparency.  Let everyone see for themselves who interviewed better.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

To me, the real answer would be to video tape the interviews, and then 7 years later (arbitrary number), that video is released.  Full transparency.  Let everyone see for themselves who interviewed better.

Even that wouldn't work, as you would certainly have some people say it PROVES the owner was RACIST because the black guy OBVIOUSLY interviewed better.  Can't win. 

Just now, DonS said:

Even that wouldn't work, as you would certainly have some people say it PROVES the owner was RACIST because the black guy OBVIOUSLY interviewed better.  Can't win. 

There will be some bitter people, but overall, I think there will be a consensus.  I also think that the meetings of decision making should be video taped and released as well.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:33 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Why does it have to be non-white coaches/operations and not more white players?  My guess is because you want the best people for the job.  Too bad we can't expect that at every level. :dunno:

This is a great statement. Why can't it go both ways? 

On 5/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, posty said:

• Any team that hires a minority head coach would move up six spots from its allocated third-round pick during the draft prior to that coach's second season. 
  • Any team that hires a person of color as its senior football executive (i.e. general manager or president of football operations) would move up 10 spots in the third round during the draft prior to that executive's second season. .

Serious question(s)

1) What if team A hires a coach of color but does not have a 3rd round pick in the draft that they would be allowed to move up positions?

2) If they do have a 3rd round pick but say they had the 1st pick in the 3rd round, do they move into the 2nd round? 

All this will do is establish pass around guys who get sent to 20 different interviews to fulfill the requirement. Smart minority candidates will be offering this service for a fee as to speed up and ease the situation. Token for hire, I’ll interview for your position with no fuss, in and out.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:51 AM, BufordT said:

The only real answer to this supposed problem is to get more black owners in there.  I don't believe there are any black owners/principle owners/majority owners in the league at this point in time.  Until this changes, they'll always have to artificially fill positions with gimmicks like this.

There are only 5 black billionaires in the US. 

5. JayZ - $1 billion
4. Michael Jordan - $1.9 billion
3. Oprah Winfrey - $2.7 billion
2. David Steward - $3.5 billion (IT service provider business)
1. Robert F. Smith - $5 billion (private hedge fund investor)

There are 607 billionaires in the US, BTW.

15 minutes ago, riversco said:

5. JayZ - $1 billion

The black folks are too busy focusing on killing each other in Chicago. At least thats what the statistics are showing. :dunno:

1 hour ago, tanatastic said:

All this will do is establish pass around guys who get sent to 20 different interviews to fulfill the requirement. Smart minority candidates will be offering this service for a fee as to speed up and ease the situation. Token for hire, I’ll interview for your position with no fuss, in and out.

This crap isn't going to stop here.  They are probably already drumming up something else. Why wouldn't they? We always give them an inch.

Looks like they met in the middle and will require two colored candidates be interviewed. :thumbsdown:

11 hours ago, riversco said:

5. JayZ - $1 billion

This is why minority hiring will always be a problem. Not enough black rich folks. If JayZ or Robert F. Smith owned an NFL franchise something tells me they would hire plenty of black folks.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, Baker Boy said:

The NFL can do whatever it wants because it knows what ever it does the fans will continue to watch even though the quality of the product continues to deteriorate. How can fans watch QBs that can’t be hit throw to WR that can be touched and think that is exciting?

Yeah, I think this is mostly true, I rarely watch it anymore, if I have some time and its on I will watch, but in recent years its just lost some value.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BufordT said:

This is why minority hiring will always be a problem. Not enough black rich folks. If JayZ or Robert F. Smith owned an NFL franchise something tells me they would hire plenty of black folks.

I think you're right.  Because for the Left, it's actually about revenge, not equality.

5 hours ago, BufordT said:

They would hire their entourage to run everything into the ground. Then it would just turn into a reality show of players showing off their cribs.

6 hours ago, BufordT said:

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

They would hire their entourage to run everything into the ground. Then it would just turn into a reality show of players showing off their cribs.

I think a reasonable model of what black business ownership looks like is HBCU's.  When you look at an institution or business that is owned by a black person, you're find that virtually every employee and customer is black.  They have absolutely no interest in integrating or diversity.  To them, it's a way of equaling out history.  The net result is, a lesser product.  Sure, you can certainly earn a bachelors from Grambling, but that same degree has less value than one from, say... Nebraska.  The main reason why billionaire black people don't want to be involved in sports, is because they know they're racist and will only hire black people.  They know the net result will be a lot of losing because while there certainly are a bunch of quality black candidates, not all of them are ready to hold a certain position.  They will be rushed along.  At that point, you can't blame the racist white man.  They will essentially be proving everyone right.

7 hours ago, BufordT said:

I think it would actually be the opposite. 
The reason they are as successful as they are was prolly due to smart decisions in their field. If they wanted to remain successful in the NFL they would prolly not change their ways.
Hence, hiring the most qualified person for the job.