Jump to content
cmh6476

Chiefs, Braves, Indians, et. al

Recommended Posts

are these going to be forced to change at some point?  To something more culturally sensitive? 

The name Chief was derived because when the Chiefs came to KC, the Mayor of KC Roe Bartle was involved in Scouting and the Mik-O-Say tribe and was nick-named Chief.

It's really not the name Chief which is offensive.  It's the chant and tomahawk chop and people wearing headdresses and whatnot.  But these are the customs we have grown to love and have created an identity for the team.

It would really suck if that would all have to go away.

There is a federal wildlife reserve in this area that was called Squaw Creek, and then they changed the name during the Obama administration because Squaw was supposedly a derogatory term for a female I guess.  Now it's changed back.  Wouldn't you think native people would want to find ways to protect and celebrate their history, and work with a team like the Chiefs to do that rather than protecting it by never talking about it?  But hey, what the hell do I know? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squaw

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
 
Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Squaw (disambiguation).
Indigenous peoples
in Canada
A life-sized bronze statue of an Aboriginal and eagle above him; there is a bear to his right and a wolf to his left, they are all looking upwards towards a blue and white sky

The English word squaw is an ethnic and sexual slur,[1][2][3] historically used for Indigenous North American women.[4] Contemporary use of the term, especially by non-Natives, is considered offensive, derogatory, misogynist and racist.[1][2][3][4][5][6]

The English word is not used among Native American, First Nations, Inuit, or Métis peoples.[1][2][3][4] While a similar morpheme (smallest linguistic unit of meaning) is found within some longer words in some of the Eastern Algonquian languages,[7] these languages only make up a small minority of the languages spoken in the hundreds of Indigenous communities affected by this slur.[8] Even in Algonquian, the related word-fragments used are not the English-language slur, but small components of longer, Algonquian words that contain more than one morpheme.[7] Eastern Algonquian morphemes meaning 'woman', which are found as components in other words and may have been transcribed into English include the Massachusett language squa,[9][8] skwa, esqua, sqeh, skwe", "que, kwa, ikwe, exkwew, xkwe'', and a number of other variants.[7]

The term persists in the officially sanctioned names of several municipalities, such as Squaw Grove Township, Illinois and Squaw Township, Iowa.[10][11]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 Through communication and education American Indian people have come to understand the derogatory meaning of the word.

:lol:   Crying libs had to indoctrinate NAs that squaw was a bad word. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

:lol:   Crying libs had to indoctrinate NAs that squaw was a bad word. 

Typical Democrat philosophy... "If someone isn't offended, we need create something that is offensive... then convince those that they should be offended".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is the motives behind changing the names may not be pure.  Maybe, just maybe, proponents of changing these names don't give a crap about Native Americans.  Maybe their goal is to get capitalist companies to admit guilt.  Maybe they just want to paint capitalism as evil and what better way to do it than make sports teams admit guilt on being racist, sexist, etc.?

If this is actually a capitalism thing, then this won't stop.  They could change their name to the Crows, and then they would be attacked for that because capitalist organizations pollute and ruin the environment and therefore ruin the habitat of crows so they should apologize for using as a mascot a bird they are driving into extinction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, riversco said:

 Maybe, just maybe, proponents of changing these names don't give a crap about Native Americans. 

Maybe erasing every single reference to them with the social small pox blanket is a sign of respect.  :lol:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redskins is really the only one that should be in the discussion.  None of the other names can really be considered offensive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Redskins is really the only one that should be in the discussion.  None of the other names can really be considered offensive.  

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Redskins is really the only one that should be in the discussion.  None of the other names can really be considered offensive.  

Redskins is the only one that should stay. Fock em

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God Bless Daniel Snyder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

God Bless Daniel Snyder.

Eagles fans agree. And Gettleman. :thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should just change the names like the CFL Baltimore team did when they could't get the Colts...

So make it the "Kansas City NFLers", "Atlanta MLBers", "Cleveland MLBers", "Florida State NCAAers", etc...  Do that to every team in all sports...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

are these going to be forced to change at some point?  To something more culturally sensitive? 

The name Chief was derived because when the Chiefs came to KC, the Mayor of KC Roe Bartle was involved in Scouting and the Mik-O-Say tribe and was nick-named Chief.

It's really not the name Chief which is offensive.  It's the chant and tomahawk chop and people wearing headdresses and whatnot.  But these are the customs we have grown to love and have created an identity for the team.

It would really suck if that would all have to go away.

There is a federal wildlife reserve in this area that was called Squaw Creek, and then they changed the name during the Obama administration because Squaw was supposedly a derogatory term for a female I guess.  Now it's changed back.  Wouldn't you think native people would want to find ways to protect and celebrate their history, and work with a team like the Chiefs to do that rather than protecting it by never talking about it?  But hey, what the hell do I know? 

Yes when they have a losing season they will be told to change the name because it gives the appearance that Native Americans are losers. 🤣

They just have to keep winning every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomahawk missiles, Apache helicopters, Buffalo Soldier because of the kinky coarse hair like a bison. Get rid of all of it. And stop giving poor African countries pre-printed losing shirts of teams in championship games that lost. Give them the god damn winning team shirts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Tomahawk missiles, Apache helicopters, Buffalo Soldier because of the kinky coarse hair like a bison. Get rid of all of it. And stop giving poor African countries pre-printed losing shirts of teams in championship games that lost. Give them the god damn winning team shirts.  

In some corners of the world there are people that don't even know what a football is, but don't dare tell them the Buffalo Bills didn't 4-peat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I have been in the championship game 6 of the last 7 years in my 12 team auction league. I drink liberally during the draft and love it. :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go COWBOYS!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BiffTannen said:

In some corners of the world there are people that don't even know what a football is, but don't dare tell them the Buffalo Bills didn't 4-peat. 

I wish I had some of those for real. :cry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Tomahawk missiles, Apache helicopters, Buffalo Soldier because of the kinky coarse hair like a bison. Get rid of all of it. And stop giving poor African countries pre-printed losing shirts of teams in championship games that lost. Give them the god damn winning team shirts.  

US military will need to rename more than just the Apache.  We also have Blackhawk/Chinook/Kiowa helicopters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know 2 redskins fans.  1 happens to be native american.  I never asked him qhy or ever thought it was relevant to ask.  But I had always just assumed it was because the mascot was a native american and it drew him in as a kid.  

Im sure there are many native americans who are offended.  That is fine they are the sensitive ones.  But there is also quite a % I believe who embraces these team or just doesnt give a crap.

If some team ws named after Italians and threw pasta around in the air each time they scored... should I be offended?

If a team was named after pilgrims and people dressed as such going to games....should white people be offended?  

I dont get it.  A name to a team seems prestigious.  There is no mocking or slight involved.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a LOT of mexicans in Los Angeles that wear a Cleveland Indians baseball cap with Chief Wahoo on it. They think he is awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So will the Fighting Irish be canceled even if no Irish complain? 

No. That's not how this works. You need self righteous rich white leftist champions to virtue signal on behalf of the non-white minorities they like to treat like pets. The thing with the Irish is that they should be ashamed of their skin color and they aren't cutesie-wootsie enough to qualify.

I would suggest that Ireland import a ton of Africans and trigger another potato famine, but they seems to already be doing that full throttle now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was ever going to pick an NFL team to root for it would be the Redskins simply because some are offended by the name. If there is one thing I do enjoy, it’s is offending weak people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×