Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

New Poll on trust in media shows republican trust at record low

This was released on September 30th, 2020.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/321116/americans-remain-distrustful-mass-media.aspx

highlights:
    9% in U.S. trust mass media "a great deal" and 31% "a fair amount"
    27% have "not very much" trust and 33% "none at all"
    The percentage (of ALL respondents) with no trust at all is a record high, up five points since 2019

1. Only 10% of republicans trust the media.  This shatters the old low of 14% set in 2016 and 2017.
2. 73% of democrats trust the media.  This is a record high.

This study comes with charts dating back decades.  Its interesting to see the partisan divide opening up like a canyon.

I would have moved from "a fair amount' in 2016 to 'none at all' in 2020.

I'm pretty sure I got 2020 right but 2016... I'm having a hard time figuring out if I was wrong then or if the industry went to sh*t in the years since.

Why are the people who least trust the media the most susceptible to Q Anon type dingbat conspiracy theories?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

Why are the people who least trust the media the most susceptible to Q Anon type dingbat conspiracy theories?

You mean like Russian collusion and pee-tape conspiracy theories? 

Or Russian interference theories?  https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1312056881985335296

Just busting your balls. It's all good.  ;)

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

words have meaning..it is everyones responsibilty to understand this

It's more important that they understand the meaning of those words and the context of which they are used.

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I would have moved from "a fair amount' in 2016 to 'none at all' in 2020.

I'm pretty sure I got 2020 right but 2016... I'm having a hard time figuring out if I was wrong then or if the industry went to sh*t in the years since.

Actually the industry went to sh*t many many decades ago.  The shocking thing is how long it took for the public to notice.  We have to go back to FDR.  FDR caused the freaking Great Depression and he not only got away with it but was hailed as a hero.  (to be clear, there is a difference between the 1929 market crash and the 10 year depression that followed.  FDR didn't cause the crash, he DID cause the 10 year depression).

I get the impression when I look at how the GD went down and how things are today, that voters are just more sophisticated today.  What FDR pulled would NOT fly in today's world.

• Like 1

Just goes to show, democrats are idiots as the majority of them eat up what they are force fed without even thinking about it.

"Thank you Don Lemon sir, please may I have some more?" F*cking democrats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This would beg the follow-up question: 

If you don't trust "mass media" for your information,  what DO you trust?

2 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Trump.

Just now, lod001 said:

Trump.

Jesus Christ. For your sake I hope you're just F-ing with me...

I've known the media is full of sh!t for decades. If you're lucky you get 5% truth and 95% spin. Sometimes it's 100% buIIshit. 

Listen to what they say and believe the exact opposite. You'll be right more often than not. 

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

I've known the media is full of sh!t for decades. If you're lucky you get 5% truth and 95% spin. Sometimes it's 100% buIIshit. 

Listen to what they say and believe the exact opposite. You'll be right more often than not. 

What's "the media?" 

Where do you go for trustworthy info?

1 minute ago, Fnord said:

What's "the media?" 

The media. All media. 

I don't think there is any reputable source for accurate info in real time. You just have to try to decipher what's real and what's spin.

After the fact, when the story is no longer front page news, you can get bits and pieces of accurate information but it's all about getting it first moreso than getting it right these days. They want that "BREAKING NEWS" chyron. 

Get them to watch then tell them what you want them to hear. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Pro tip: Don't trust any story that says " anonymous sources say...".

Been hearing anonymous sources out of the left more and more over the years.

2 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

Pro tip: Don't trust any story that says " anonymous sources say...".

How exactly do you think any important story of malfeasance by anyone in power ever gets brought to light?

Conveniently forgetting Watergate? Lemme help you out- when a reporter worth a damn cites anonymous sources, they have multiple anonymous sources. They verify the story by confirming details with more than one person. That's how journalism is supposed to work.

Now disreputable news sources don't do that, of course,  but that's why you stay the hell away from places like Breitbart. 

• Haha 1

How exactly do you think any important story of malfeasance by anyone in power ever gets brought to light?

Conveniently forgetting Watergate? Lemme help you out- when a reporter worth a damn cites anonymous sources, they have multiple anonymous sources. They verify the story by confirming details with more than one person. That's how journalism is supposed to work.

Now disreputable news sources don't do that, of course,  but that's why you stay the hell away from places like Breitbart. 

Name an anonymous source from the past four years that revealed a true story.

Russia hoax, Ukraine hoax, pee pee tape hoax, calling soldiers losers hoax, etc. All lies made up by anonymous sources, and reported by your "respectable" reporters. It's sickening.

12 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Russia hoax, Ukraine hoax, pee pee tape hoax, calling soldiers losers hoax, etc. All lies made up by anonymous sources, and reported by your "respectable" reporters. It's sickening.

73of dumb people trust the media.  This is a record high.

5 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I see. The Russia "hoax" was not from anonymous sources. It started with the US intelligence community. Same with the pee tape, although no one cares about that anymore. The soldier stuff was verified by like 15 different sources, many of whom were not anonymous.  The Ukraine stuff came from a diplomatic whistle-blower,  not the media. And if you believe that Trump  didn't commit a crime there then you don't care about facts, you just want to keep believing that Libs bad, authoritarian morons good. You don't really seem like you know what you're talking about.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I see. The Russia "hoax" was not from anonymous sources. Hillary paid a foreign spy to make up a dirty dossier. Same with the pee tape, Hillary paid a foreign spy to make up a dirty dossier. The soldier stuff was never verified, but refuted on the record by people who were there.  The Ukraine stuff came from an anonymous diplomatic whistle-blower,  not the media. And if you believe that Trump  didn't commit a crime there then you demand actual, verifiable facts, you just want to keep believing that Libs bad, authoritarian morons good. You don't really seem like you fall for bullschit like I do.

Fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fnord said:

I think a LOT of them have loaded up on guns and ammo and are just waiting for the "go" signal from someone like Trump to engage in combat with the leftist enemies that are tearing down the US.

• Like 1

Most all of what we see in the media comes straight from some PR team. It's all a fiction.

That is the main difference between now and back in the day. Yes, media itself has gotten absolutely pathetic in terms of standards and such... But now there is an entire industry devoted to nothing but manipulating it.

Republicans are about to lose big. A shame, but they are. They hitched their wagon to a lying con man, and they are about to reap the rewards. So be it. 

47 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Republicans are about to lose big. A shame, but they are. They hitched their wagon to a lying con man, and they are about to reap the rewards. So be it. 

Florida is Biden +2.  Trump will win that.
Wisconsin is Biden +5.5, which is less than Hillary's "lead" on election day when she lost it. He will win that too.

That alone gets Trump to 270.

You forget he won over 300 electoral votes in 2016. Several states could flip blue and he'd still win.

17 hours ago, Fnord said:

You can get your facts from any source. Generally they don’t yet make up facts while cloth. Big stories get covered, medium and smaller ones get played up or down depending on the source’s agenda and it bifurcates and bifurcates again. So you have your corporate left and corporate right. Then online you get your more populist left and right sources. And we all pick our favorite commentary from our favorite niche to reinforce our spin and biases, then talk past each other.

• Like 1

Doctor on Trumps illness "the 1st 24 hours after diagnosis are critical".

Media "Doctor says Trump is critical".

Only the biggest focking idiots on the planet would trust the media.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, riversco said:

I think a LOT of them have loaded up on guns and ammo and are just waiting for the "go" signal from someone like Trump to engage in combat with the leftist enemies that are tearing down the US.

So you trust your guns, and they're telling you to start shooting leftists.

When Biden wins, you're just gonna what, murder people? And you think the lefties are the problem? Talk about radicalized garbage. You sound just like a terrorist about to mount a jihad, not an American patriot, which is no doubt what you consider yourself. 

This line of thinking is twisted and authoritarian.

When Biden wins, you're just gonna what, murder people? And you think the lefties are the problem? Talk about radicalized garbage. You sound just like a terrorist about to mount a jihad, not an American patriot, which is no doubt what you consider yourself. 

A lof of people get the feeling that this election is going to bypass Bush/Gore 2000 as the most confrontatious of our lifetime. Both sides are being primed for challenging the results. Dems are freaking out in worry that Trump won't concede if he loses while also not seeing any hypocrisy in advising Biden not to concede if he loses. And Trump does have a legitimate reason to be upset, it's the Dems who changed the rules with this mail-in voting and they've already identified many issues of vote fraud committed by the left thus far. Meanwhile the Dems now worry that a lot of the mail in ballots they sent out will be challenged/rejected.

As for violence, I live overseas and I'm grateful that my hometown (Detroit or more precisely, the suburbs of the greater metro Detroit area) has been spared the BLM/antifa related violence that affect other communities. Detroiters know first hand what rioting does and fortunately our black and dipsh*t suburban white leftist communities haven't demonstrated an appetite for it. For my part, I wouldn't leave metro Detroit area to go kill leftists in Portland, fock Portland, but if I lived in a community nearby Portland and those freaks decided to take their rioting and looting to my hometown, I'd be there to defend it -with violence if that's what it took. If BLM/antifa want to burn down Ted Wheeler's or Jenny Dirtcan's, or Bill DiBlasio's or Beetlejuice's or Jacob Frey's or Eric Garcetti's cities, well the leaders there don't care. While I do care, it's not enough to go travel out of state to stand up for people who won't stand up for themselves. But some people do care greatly and they aren't going to put up with it if BLM/antifa take the rioting out to where they live. 

Riversco has been predicting a civil war for months. I thought he was nuts at first, running around with his hair on fire looking like a fool, I don't feel that way now. Again, I live overseas without a pulse on the situation except the internet, but this feels dangerous. The country is at wit's end. Left and right are as far apart as ever with so little common ground anymore. It's not just the right like riversco that feels it, NYT columnist Thomas Freidman has covered may civil wars and says this feels like one.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:01 PM, Fnord said:

What's "the media?" 

Pretty much ALL corporate media. Cnn, abc, fox, msnbc, all news papers, any printed magazine.

If something happens there's a enough video evidence to get the truth. If you see a 10 second clip look for the whole video.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DexterM1776 said:

Curious who are the majority of people who own the media? What's their demographic?

Last time I bit this hook, I burnt a good 4-5 hours and picked up a missing link, half-primate stalker for my trouble so I think I'll pass this time.

1 hour ago, Fnord said:

I'm not about to go around shooting people.  I think we've already entered a civil war.  The battles are just going to get larger and larger.

The election result is probably either gonna be:

1. republicans grabbing the guns and marching in the streets and going to war if the dems steal the election with mail-in ballots.
2. democrats marching in the streets and going to war if Trump wins.

We're in it neck-deep either way.

7 minutes ago, riversco said:

1. republicans grabbing the guns and marching in the streets and going to war if the dems steal the election with mail-in ballots.

A blowout one way or the other could avoid that outcome.

15 minutes ago, riversco said:

And if Biden wins without "stealing" the election?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fnord said:

And if Biden wins without "stealing" the election?

There is no trust anymore.  I don't think either side will see a loss as legit.  So your scenario does not occur.