Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Trump National course stripped of 2022 US PGA Championship

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/trump-national-golf-course-2022-us-pga-championship-stripped

The PGA of America has voted to move one of golf’s four major championships away from the course in New Jersey, less then a week after supporters of the US President staged an attempted insurrection at the US Capitol.

Jim Richerson, the PGA of America president, did not explicitly reference events in Washington DC in a statement announcing the move.

He said: “It has become clear that conducting the PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster would be detrimental to the PGA of America brand, it would put at risk the PGA’s ability to deliver our many programmes and sustain the longevity of our mission.

“Our board has thus made the decision to exercise our right to terminate the contract to hold the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster.”

In response to the announcement, the Trump Organisation said in a statement: “We have had a beautiful partnership with the PGA of America and are incredibly disappointed with their decision.

“This is a breach of a binding contract and they have no right to terminate the agreement.

“As an organisation we have invested many, many millions of dollars in the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump National Golf Club, Bedminster.”

It is the second time in six years the PGA has moved an event away from a course owned by Donald Trump.

The 2015 Grand Slam of Golf was due to be held at the Trump National in Los Angeles but was cancelled after Trump, then a candidate, made controversial remarks about Mexican immigrants.

Turnberry has not been selected to stage the Open Championship since it was purchased by Trump in 2014. Host venues have been chosen up to 2024.

The Ayrshire course last held the Open in 2009, when Stewart Cink defeated Tom Watson in a play-off.

Speaking in 2017, R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers said Turnberry remained on the Open rota.

“I think it’s very important that we’re clear about what our business is, which is making sure that the Open Championship is one of the world’s greatest sporting events, and staying out of politics,” Slumbers said.

“We are clearly now in uncharted territory. Sitting presidents have attended US Opens. We have not had a sitting President of the United States at an Open Championship.

“We’re all learning as we go through this. But I think it’s important for us that we understand where the game is and make sure we keep to that without ignoring all the other factors that go around it.”

Slumbers said he believed President Trump had been “good for golf” in terms of the renovation of a number of his courses and that he would accept an invite to play golf with him, as the likes of Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have done.

In February last year, Slumbers said infrastructure was “one of the key issues we need to solve at Turnberry”, adding: “I am sure it will stage an Open there in the not-too-distant future.”

The writing is on the wall, he will soon no longer POTUS. No reason to do him any more favors. Sad

Nah, worse than that, cancel-cancel-cancel.  They hate him and want to ensure that no one else ever dares to challenge their political power, he has to be made an example.

We only wanted to brown nose you if you were still President. 

51 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The PGA wants to keep politics out of gold... so their course of action is to make a political statement?

🤣

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

TDS to the max.  Private citizen Trump is going to sue the fock out of them.

Drumpf has a worse average than Mario Mendoza when it comes to lawsuits

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

TDS to the max.  Private citizen Trump is going to sue the fock out of them.

Sue them for what?

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Sue them for what?

Punitive damages

This is getting ridiculous..just sad.  I am almost glad Im entering my mid 50s.  Could you imagine being 25 yrs old now..and having to deal with this and whats coming down the pike???

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Sue them for what?

Cuck 2.0 settling in for another day of being a "moderate who voted republican all his life until now".  :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Cuck 2.0 settling in for another day of being a "moderate who voted republican all his life until now".  :lol:

What does suing have to do with what you're saying?  What are you even talking about?

30 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What does suing have to do with what you're saying?  What are you even talking about?

You didn't read the article. It very clearly says they invested money in the club for the tournament and they have a contract. You obviously came here to troll and to you I say good day. 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

You didn't read the article. It very clearly says they invested money in the club for the tournament and they have a contract. You obviously came here to troll and to you I say good day. 

I'm not trolling at all.  Don't be such a crybaby.

I'm not trolling at all.  Don't be such a crybaby.

Bullshitt

Some of the new trolls think if they are polite you can’t call them a troll. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Some of the new trolls think if they are polite you can’t call them a troll. 

I'll let you know when I'm trolling on here.  I am not trolling right now.

53 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

This is getting ridiculous..just sad.  I am almost glad Im entering my mid 50s.  Could you imagine being 25 yrs old now..and having to deal with this and whats coming down the pike???

I do feel for my children. 18 and 15. 

3 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Ouch. They either suffer in their lives as smart people in this land gone crazy against smart people or comply with the left and suffer under dictatorial rule. 

35 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

because they can no longer breast feed?

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Why can't they breast feed? 

47 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Another crybaby.

Well Hawkeye, he would sue them for breach of contract and monetary damages, both of which have been cited in text and then repeated in this thread.

Does that answer your question?  :dunno:

Businesses and organizations terminate contracts all of the time because of the actions of someone.  I'm sure Trump will sue them and we'll have to wait and see if he wins or not.  It will depend on what is in the contract whether he will win or not.

8 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Just imagine what the elites will do after the 1/19 protests!

Probably call all of them morons and then laugh when they get arrested.

3 hours ago, RLLD said:

Nah, worse than that, cancel-cancel-cancel.  They hate him and want to ensure that no one else ever dares to challenge their political power, he has to be made an example.

I agree. After next week, it's not over. Maybe not even for his kids. There's gonna be constant harassment for the next several year's. 

Anything they can do to avoid him running again. I hope he's ready for a nightmare, it's gonna be worse than what he's already faced.

And in the meantime. The left treat people like Pelosi like she's a queen. When she's one of the most vile skeletons we've ever come across.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Businesses and organizations terminate contracts all of the time because of the actions of someone.  I'm sure Trump will sue them and we'll have to wait and see if he wins or not.  It will depend on what is in the contract whether he will win or not.

The assertion was that he would sue.  No one said he would definitely win.  And you're like "WHAT WOULD HE SUE FOR?  CRYBABY!  CRYBABY!!!!"   Quit moving the goalposts.

27 minutes ago, edjr said:

No, most likely because they have a good head on their shoulders. Want to work for a living. Not wait for handouts. Etc etc.

The usual.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

The assertion was that he would sue.  No one said he would definitely win.  And you're like "WHAT WOULD HE SUE FOR?  CRYBABY!  CRYBABY!!!!"   Quit moving the goalposts.

I read more about the story and saw Trump's response.  It wouldn't surprise me if he sues.  You're still crybabies and complain a lot.

I remember all the outrage over Kaep and the woke kneelers. I remember all those who vowed to boycott Nike and sports in general........ It was ok then for them to take a stand, ok for them to pick and chose who they supported - but now the same crowd is all up in arms over the PGA doing the very same thing??

This move, more than anything, is a financial move. The PGA doesn't exist w/out sponsors, there is no tour w/out sponsors. The PGA is distancing themselves from the President to ensure the viability of their tour - hard to blame them for that. Plus, who needs the headache? Best to avoid any chance of confrontation at all possible. 

The championship is not being cancelled, it will still go on - just somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

I remember all the outrage over Kaep and the woke kneelers. I remember all those who vowed to boycott Nike and sports in general........ It was ok then for them to take a stand, ok for them to pick and chose who they supported - but now the same crowd is all up in arms over the PGA doing the same thing.... 

This move, more than anything, is a financial move. The PGA doesn't exist w/out sponsors, there is no tour w/out sponsors. The PGA is distancing themselves from the President to ensure the viability of their tour - hard to blame them for that. Plus, who needs the headache? Best to avoid any chance of confrontation at all possible. 

The championship is not being cancelled, it will still on - just somewhere else. 

I get why they're doing this but I don't know why they decided to have it there in the first place.  It's not like they didn't know the type of person Trump is when they originally decided to have it there.

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I remember all the outrage over Kaep and the woke kneelers. I remember all those who vowed to boycott Nike and sports in general........ It was ok then for them to take a stand, ok for them to pick and chose who they supported - but now the same crowd is all up in arms over the PGA doing the very same thing.... 

The championship is not being cancelled, it will still go on - just somewhere else. 

The PGA can do whatever it wants.  That doesn't change the fact that they have a contract and any legal repercussions that may come from violating that contract.

I'm curious what Trump's course spent millions on already for a tournament that doesn't take place for a year and a half.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

The PGA can do whatever it wants.  That doesn't change the fact that they have a contract and any legal repercussions that may come from violating that contract.

You don't think the PGA, USGA, and R&A don't have language in their contracts to protect them from situations like this? 

I obviously don't have a copy of it in front of me, but I promise you they do. 

I get why they're doing this but I don't know why they decided to have it there in the first place.  It's not like they didn't know the type of person Trump is when they originally decided to have it there.

Now this is probably a better question. I have no idea - it seems inappropriate in every sense...for any President, even if Biden owned it. 

Just now, Cruzer said:

Now this is probably a better question. I have no idea - it seems inappropriate in every sense...for any President, even if Biden owned it. 

I know it costs a lot to get a course ready for a major event but that seems like a lot of money this far ahead of the event.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I know it costs a lot to get a course ready for a major event but that seems like a lot of money this far ahead of the event.

It is a lot of money.... but the golf ball and distance has totally changed the game, least at the professional level.

Golf courses bid to host majors. As part of those bids they promise to make renovations to meet the requirements of the championship. Examples may include adding/taking away bunkers, extending bunkers, moving tee boxes back, rebuilding greens, adding drainage systems, etc....and that takes money.

I would not be shocked to see the PGA write Bedminster a check as some sort of buyout clause - but I've no doubt they've covered their legal asses. 

It takes years to get a course ready to host a tournament.  The book on how they set up Bethpage was a great piece of writing.  I had never realized what goes into hosting an open like that.  Was a very good read.