Jump to content
Utilit99

Just got off a work call with some folks in Texas

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Apparently wind turbines froze up and that helped create power outages.

We all know who doesnt like wind turbines and who was ripped apart in thr media for not falling into the green line.  

The Dems keep losing but with the media slant it makes it look like they are competitive.  

The whole focking grid is offline. Wind is doing slightly worse as a percentage, but at this point it is close. We have nuclear plants offline in south texas, we have coal plants offline, and for some reason we have multiple gas plants offline.

 

It is ridiculous, I did not lose power during harvey, and most of texas did not. But this focking cold snap crippled our grid.

 

I was telling my wife earlier, I lived in a double wide for ~5 years in my 20s in montana. We would have been screwed if we lost power, but we never lost power because of the cold.

Texas crap is not designed to consider a single cold day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My neighbor called me and said we haven’t had power since Sunday and he took a photo and it looks like a pipe is leaking by my garage.  Haven’t been there in a couple of weeks, just hope there is no damage inside when I get back home.  He shut the main off for me and turned the spigot on so hopefully the ice will drain once thawed.  Damn that would suck

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

The whole focking grid is offline. Wind is doing slightly worse as a percentage, but at this point it is close. We have nuclear plants offline in south texas, we have coal plants offline, and for some reason we have multiple gas plants offline.

 

It is ridiculous, I did not lose power during harvey, and most of texas did not. But this focking cold snap crippled our grid.

 

I was telling my wife earlier, I lived in a double wide for ~5 years in my 20s in montana. We would have been screwed if we lost power, but we never lost power because of the cold.

Texas crap is not designed to consider a single cold day.

 

You’re right, I didn’t even lose cable during Harvey, but get cold for a few days and everything is falling apart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

My neighbor called me and said we haven’t had power since Sunday and he took a photo and it looks like a pipe is leaking by my garage.  Haven’t been there in a couple of weeks, just hope there is no damage inside when I get back home.  He shut the main off for me and turned the spigot on so hopefully the ice will drain once thawed.  Damn that would suck

Sorry to hear. 

All I want tomorrow is 2-3 hours of power to charge everything back up and to download some movies to tablets through the wifi.

From everything I read I am expecting very limited power the rest of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Sorry to hear. 

All I want tomorrow is 2-3 hours of power to charge everything back up and to download some movies to tablets through the wifi.

From everything I read I am expecting very limited power the rest of the week.

I’m hopeful that everything is fine, looking at the photo he sent, it was appeared to be leaking for about two feet on the wall they didn’t insulate.  I just hope so, I won’t be home until the end of March, could be bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mungwater said:

I’m hopeful that everything is fine, looking at the photo he sent, it was appeared to be leaking for about two feet on the wall they didn’t insulate.  I just hope so, I won’t be home until the end of March, could be bad

Where are you at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

Out of the country for a bit

Which country?

 

Sounds fun.  (Maybe.... I have worked in colombia in the past for example)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MTSkiBum said:

Which country?

 

Sounds fun.  (Maybe.... I have worked in colombia in the past for example)

 

Korea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

No problem..

Sometimes I think I post too obscure of reference.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-40335169

 

I think you will want to get a contractor to check your house put asap. We do not have power, but have a gas fireplace and our house is currently 65, and it is making all sorts of weird noises from both the attic and foundation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Sorry to hear. 

All I want tomorrow is 2-3 hours of power to charge everything back up and to download some movies to tablets through the wifi.

From everything I read I am expecting very limited power the rest of the week.

Whole house generator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Whole house generator?

Are you offering to buy me one?

 

Power is on now, hopefully it lasts until lunch so we can cook. Then they can roll it to someone else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Whole house generator?

They are expensive but my next house I will install one.  I currently have a Generac 5500 which has come in handy, enough to plug in a lamp, tv, refrigerator, charge the phones and a coffee pot.  Plus I have a gas fire place.  
 

But my buddy has a whole house generator professionally installed and it’s a miracle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

The whole focking grid is offline. Wind is doing slightly worse as a percentage, but at this point it is close. We have nuclear plants offline in south texas, we have coal plants offline, and for some reason we have multiple gas plants offline.

 

It is ridiculous, I did not lose power during harvey, and most of texas did not. But this focking cold snap crippled our grid.

 

I was telling my wife earlier, I lived in a double wide for ~5 years in my 20s in montana. We would have been screwed if we lost power, but we never lost power because of the cold.

Texas crap is not designed to consider a single cold day.

 

Same with Harvey.  Didn’t lose power, direct TV, internet or water.  
 

In 2011 there was a similar problem.  The private electric generators allegedly fixed their sh!t so it wouldn’t happen again.  :lol:
 

We had power over night but it went back out at 7:15.  A have a busted pipe over my garage.  
 

good times, good times.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Good luck Texor, sounds horrible. 

Yeah, and a second storm has moved in. It's sleeting hard out there right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy is stuck in the Austin airport. Got tired of paying for a hotel room with no electricity and at least the airport has heat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Know what else it appears freezes?  Tempurpedic mattresses.  Saw a few tik tok videos where those mofo's get hard at 45 degrees or something.  Fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 5:38 PM, jerryskids said:

Disagree.  McDonalds has one of the world's strongest brands.  They'll be the last one standing if your fast food civil war starts.  Not to mention that they cater to people who like the convenience of drive thru, or a dine in spot for a quick break with the kids.

What fast food place DOESN'T do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

good old Ted good for a laugh

 

 

The only difference is California goes through this every 6 months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bert said:

The only difference is California goes through this every 6 months. 

Yeah, California has rolling blackouts every summer, this in Texas is a once in every 50 years thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

What fast food place DOESN'T do that?

AMPM, which was the point of my response to his post?  :dunno: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

AMPM, which was the point of my response to his post?  :dunno: 

Ok, I never heard of AMPM, so I didn't know what that was.  Makes sense then.  :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have donated more to Al Gore, now we pay the price. That damn global warming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Ok, I never heard of AMPM, so I didn't know what that was.  Makes sense then.  :cheers:

Long ago they were Arco stations, then I think AMPM, then some/all became APlus.  I don't know the exact history, but basically it is a gas station with even crappier food than fast food sitting under a heat lamp for hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Long ago they were Arco stations, then I think AMPM, then some/all became APlus.  I don't know the exact history, but basically it is a gas station with even crappier food than fast food sitting under a heat lamp for hours.

Gas station food with heat lamps?  EW!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Are you offering to buy me one?

 

Power is on now, hopefully it lasts until lunch so we can cook. Then they can roll it to someone else.

 

Priorities.....hope your save enough for your big boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

Priorities.....hope your save enough for your big boat. 

I would rather spend money on toys or vacations that can help me make memories with the kids than on a generator system that we would have used once in 7 years. The return on investment would be too low.

The kids are having a blast at night, they are sitting around the fireplace, playing with glowsticks, and we are hanging out as a family. I admit a generator would be nice, but it is also nice to take this opportunity to make memories with the family.

I am yet to approach my boss, because I am still trying to convince my wife, but instead of buying a boat this year I want to go to Maine and live there for a month. I can remote work anywhere and I have never been to Maine. My kids would love it as well. I think my boss would be fine with it, although as of now I am doubtful I can convince my wife.

 

Doing fun stuff is more important than investing in a system that prevents a few days of misery every 5-10 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I would rather spend money on toys or vacations that can help me make memories with the kids than on a generator system that we would have used once in 7 years. The return on investment would be too low.

The kids are having a blast at night, they are sitting around the fireplace, playing with glowsticks, and we are hanging out as a family. I admit a generator would be nice, but it is also nice to take this opportunity to make memories with the family.

I am yet to approach my boss, because I am still trying to convince my wife, but instead of buying a boat this year I want to go to Maine and live there for a month. I can remote work anywhere and I have never been to Maine. My kids would love it as well. I think my boss would be fine with it, although as of now I am doubtful I can convince my wife.

 

Doing fun stuff is more important than investing in a system that prevents a few days of misery every 5-10 years.

 

Fair enough.  I chose the generator and don’t complain when my power goes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wish Northerners would stop criticizing Southerners when it comes to driving on snow roads. IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!!

Roads up north do not freeze this way. I have no idea what is happening but down here the road turns into a slick slippery ice. I have driven in NJ in snow all my life and never had what goes on in GA. It's not brain surgery. The roads become skating rinks down south. It's impossible to drive up a hill or steer or stop, you just crash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Fair enough.  I chose the generator and don’t complain when my power goes out.

I reread my posts and I do not think I complained in this thread, I did about the general state of our powerplants, but that is warranted.

If we lost power more frequently during the summer storms/hurricanes that would be worse and could eventually make me strongly consider a generator. There are certainly scenarios and parts of the country where generators should be considered, however based on power outages over the last 8 years since I have lived here I do not think it is needed for this house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, peenie said:

I really wish Northerners would stop criticizing Southerners when it comes to driving on snow roads. IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!!

Roads up north do not freeze this way. I have no idea what is happening but down here the road turns into a slick slippery ice. I have driven in NJ in snow all my life and never had what goes on in GA. It's not brain surgery. The roads become skating rinks down south. It's impossible to drive up a hill or steer or stop, you just crash. 

I have no idea if the conditions are that different or not. I’ve seen some extremely terrible road conditions here in Iowa though. It really just comes down to this, stay off the roads. There’s no reason to be traveling if it’s not safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I reread my posts and I do not think I complained in this thread, I did about the general state of our powerplants, but that is warranted.

If we lost power more frequently during the summer storms/hurricanes that would be worse and could eventually make me strongly consider a generator. There are certainly scenarios and parts of the country where generators should be considered, however based on power outages over the last 8 years since I have lived here I do not think it is needed for this house.

I wish you the best.  I live in the woods and a generator is a necessity.  Trees fall often on the lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I reread my posts and I do not think I complained in this thread, I did about the general state of our powerplants, but that is warranted.

If we lost power more frequently during the summer storms/hurricanes that would be worse and could eventually make me strongly consider a generator. There are certainly scenarios and parts of the country where generators should be considered, however based on power outages over the last 8 years since I have lived here I do not think it is needed for this house.

Before this the last time we lost power for more than an hour or two was hurricane Ike in 2008.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

They are expensive but my next house I will install one.  I currently have a Generac 5500 which has come in handy, enough to plug in a lamp, tv, refrigerator, charge the phones and a coffee pot.  Plus I have a gas fire place.  
 

But my buddy has a whole house generator professionally installed and it’s a miracle.  

You can put in a simple connection that will connect that portable generator to your electrical panel. You can then do your entire house without any problems. Lot cheaper than a whole-house instant on option. I have a Briggs and Stratton 5500 and it works like a champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×