Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Goalie killed by fireworks at coach’s house

Callers to 911 said Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks was hit in the chest by an errant fireworks mortar blast at a Michigan home that, sources told ESPN's Emily Kaplan, belonged to goaltending coach Manny Legace.

According to The Associated Press, three calls were made to 911 in connection to Kivlenieks' death, which is being investigated as an accident. Kivlenieks was 24.

"Hey, we have someone who was hit by a fireworks," a female caller told a 911 dispatcher after Kivlenieks was struck at about 10 p.m. at a backyard celebration in Novi, Michigan. "Can you come here immediately? He's breathing. We have a nurse here. He's breathing, but he's not doing very good.''

Another caller said the goaltender was "getting ready to go into convulsions" after he was hit.

Kivlenieks was pronounced dead at a hospital. An autopsy revealed Monday that he died from chest trauma, with major damage to his heart and lungs.

Kivlenieks and teammate Elvis Merzlikins traveled to Novi, where Legace lives, to celebrate July Fourth, as well as the wedding of Legace's daughter over the holiday weekend, sources told ESPN.

Legace, 48, has worked with the Blue Jackets since 2018 and had an 11-year NHL career, including a Stanley Cup title with the Red Wings in 2002.

I kinda feel like you have to be fired for getting one of your players killed :( 

• Thanks 1

Out of respect for his family, I wonder if they'll stop singing the Star-Spangled Banner before the team's games.  

5 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Out of respect for his family, I wonder if they'll stop singing the Star-Spangled Banner before the team's games.  

They probably won't be going to the games now.  

John Pieree Paul will probably high flipper the coach.  

• Haha 1

I had heard that he fell during some fireworks commotion and cracked his skull.  Now they are saying the firework flat out killed him in the chest?  Crazy, and sad.  :( 

Seriously, first thing they teach it, knock that s*** down.

Honest to God, sounds like he is innards were just pulverized.

But I lived in Columbus ohio. Death by fireworks definitely beats Life by Bob Evans.

(What I'm saying is Ohio is bland in every possible sense of the word)

It's hard enough for goalies to cover up the five-hole, much less five holes.

Things like this are going to happen occasionally...... that's just the way it is. 

If something similar happened 50 years ago, media would run the story, & that would be the end of it.

In 2021, lawyers are already lining up, politicians will be grandstanding saying we have to do everything necessary to avoid this in the future, etc.

54 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I had heard that he fell during some fireworks commotion and cracked his skull.  Now they are saying the firework flat out killed him in the chest?  Crazy, and sad.  :( 

That was the original report. Slipped getting out of hot tub- nothing about a mortar until the next morning 

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Defund 911 along with the police. Defund soccer players and coaches.

Different kind of goalie. 

We used to have large 4th of July neighborhood barbecues in our cul-de-sac.  It's not a party until you have to scramble for cover when a mortar inevitably tips over and starts shooting Chinese death balls all over the place. 

• Thanks 1

I've got 4 organs failing. And this stupid mother f***** gets to keel over just like that? Ain't that a b****.

11 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I've got 4 organs failing.

5 if you count that big pumpkin head of yours :wave:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I've got 4 organs failing. 

Is that from the twelve days of nightmare before Christmas? 

16 hours ago, easilyscan said:

Things like this are going to happen occasionally...... that's just the way it is. 

If something similar happened 50 years ago, media would run the story, & that would be the end of it.

In 2021, lawyers are already lining up, politicians will be grandstanding saying we have to do everything necessary to avoid this in the future, etc.

Whomever you are Sir, you have a new fan in me :wub: