Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Saudi Golf Tour

On 8/30/2022 at 7:57 PM, KSB2424 said:

I don't blame any of the sell outs.  Hard to turn down big bags of cash over actual achievement and/or legacy.  Kudos to Matsuyama and Cameron Young for playing the long game instead of being blinded by short term gains.

Has anyone ever even watched one hole of a LIV tournament?  Y'all know how this ends right?  :lol: :lol:

Nostradumbass 

It's hard to fathom anyone (other than me) ever being more wrong in a non-political thread than KSB in this one. Ouch. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

It's hard to fathom anyone (other than me) ever being more wrong in a non-political thread than KSB in this one. Ouch. 

I love you Ed, but you aren’t a smart person.  Cool, funny, but let’s be honest.   This story hasn’t even hit halftime and you’re pointing to the scoreboard.  

Just now, KSB2424 said:

I love you Ed, but aren’t a smart person, cool, funny, but let’s be honest.   This story hasn’t even hit halftime and you’re pointing to the scoreboard.  

I never claimed to be smart.  Just having some fun my friend. 

12 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:
40 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

it’s sad it always boils down to $$ 

Agreed.  Problem is this isn’t true Capitalism.  America and Europe cannot compete in a fair system with PIL.

It’s a foot race where one side tests for steroids and the other actively pushes it. Pulling for LIV is pulling for Ben Johnson and Ivan Drago. 

It’s just gross. 

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

He folded, had no true vision and should resign immediately.  

Ive seen the question asked....what happens if a Saudi like company buys out the SEC or the NBA players and forms a league?  Can this become the norm?

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Ive seen the question asked....what happens if a Saudi like company buys out the SEC or the NBA players and forms a league?  Can this become the norm?

Good question, but it’s not just some “company”, it’s the government of another country. 

Just now, KSB2424 said:

Good question, but it’s not just some “company”, it’s the government of another country. 

Yea I get that I misspoke 

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

Yea I get that I misspoke 

I know you do but others don’t.  PIL is an arm of their government and y’all want them to be head of the world golf household?  Of course if I’m a player I take a bazillion dollars (duh), but I’m a fan flying 3500 miles above.  I want what’s best for the sport.  This is gross, complete sell out.  Congrats to all.  

33 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Agreed.  Problem is this isn’t true Capitalism.  America and Europe cannot compete in a fair system with PIL.

It’s a foot race where one side tests for steroids and the other actively pushes it. Pulling for LIV is pulling for Ben Johnson and Ivan Drago. 

It’s just gross. 

Only speaking for myself I wasn’t pulling for LIV, I was pulling for the PGA to make the changes it should be making and to stop hiding behind false claims of integrity and history of the game. 

im not happy with this outcome. I simply wanted the PGA to lift the bans. Stop being babies and accept competition. Let these independent contractors play where they want and if they can manage to meet your your card criteria, so be it. 

49 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I love you Ed, but you aren’t a smart person.  Cool, funny, but let’s be honest.   This story hasn’t even hit halftime and you’re pointing to the scoreboard.  

Hasn’t hit halftime? 😂 Cmon dude. 

im not saying Ed is smart either but you were basically wrong at every step of the way with this topic (aside from saudis = bad) and always ignored cruzers questions about the PGA dealing with China (poor human rights record) and their sponsors dealing with the Saudis. 

The PGA Tour has been hypocritical every step of the way and it solidified that today. 

54 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

It would be a lot more difficult to do with a league like the NBA or a college conference.  For one, all NBA players are under contract and their contracts expire at different times.  So, getting a significant number of those players to join your league during their prime would be difficult.  A college conference presents other issues, such as the fact that most of the players aren't good enough to be pros and those players who aren't that good are there for the education and the sports is just a vehicle to getting that education. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

It would be a lot more difficult to do with a league like the NBA or a college conference.  For one, all NBA players are under contract and their contracts expire at different times.  So, getting a significant number of those players to join your league during their prime would be difficult.  A college conference presents other issues, such as the fact that most of the players aren't good enough to be pros and those players who aren't that good are their for the education and the sports is just a vehicle to getting that education. 

This. 

as was said from the beginning, the easiest way for the PGA to squash LIV would have been coming up with a contract system for its players. 

13 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Arnold Palmer just rolled over in his grave.  Congratulations to all.  

The PGA Tour was a breakaway tour of its own.....

With an increase of revenue in the late 1960s due to expanded television coverage, a dispute arose between the touring professionals and the PGA of America on how to distribute the windfall. The tour players wanted larger purses, where the PGA desired the money to go to the general fund to help grow the game at the local level.[8][9] Following the final major in July 1968 at the PGA Championship, several leading tour pros voiced their dissatisfaction with the venue and the abundance of club pros in the field.[10] The increased friction resulted in a new entity in August, what would eventually become the PGA Tour.

Wonder If Arnie was a part of that breakaway?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Wonder If Arnie was a part of that breakaway?

Arnie always dreamed of being on Team 4Aces!  :lol: 

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Arnie always dreamed of being on Team 4Aces!  :lol: 

You got a chuckle out of me.... but hide behind jokes all you want. 

LIV is nothing more than a modern version of what happened in the 60's. Players wanted more compensation for their talent and the TV revenue it was bringing in, so they broke off from the PGA of America and created their own thing. Some people act like the holy, historic PGA Tour created the game of golf :lol:.  Considering Arnie was a big part of making golf television popular, there's a decent chance he was a major part of that breakaway. 

LIV wanted to compensate it's talent more than they felt the PGA Tour was doing, despite the PGA being capable of more... so they formed their own Tour. 

The only thing you can cling to is where the funding came from.... and now the almighty, clean, righteous PGA is partnering with them  :shocking:

Arnie and PGA = America, Europe and the free West. 

Phil and LIV = The Saudi Government controlling golf

Congrats to all. But we got paid doe!

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

im not saying Ed is smart either but you were basically wrong at every step of the way with this topic (aside from saudis = bad) and always ignored cruzers questions about the PGA dealing with China (poor human rights record) and their sponsors dealing with the Saudis. 

It's easier to duck and jive, pretend to be righteous. 

And Arnold rolling over in his grave, please....... Arnold was as decent a human being as their ever lived, but don't be a fool - Arnold was the very epitome of a money grab. Just like Jay-boy, me and everyone else on this bored - he (too) was in bed with countless corporations in bed with the Saudis too. 

Pro Golfers are the biggest a-holes of all the sports. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I can see this being true.  But none of their star players has ever punched a pregnant woman in the stomach.  

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What other sport does a guy accidentally hit someone and then give him a signed glove and a couple hundred bucks from his pocket?

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I can see this being true.  But none of their star players has ever punched a pregnant woman in the stomach.  

Good point.  Reassessing. 

I’ve been busy and admittedly have not read this thread in a day.  

If you guys like Saudi governments controlling Western sport then you are happy.  Congrats. 

LIV was just a who’re they used and some of y’all fell in love. 

8 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I’ve been busy and admittedly have not read this thread in a day.  

If you guys like Saudi governments controlling Western sport then you are happy.  Congrats. 

LIV was just a who’re they used and some of y’all fell in love. 

Hop off the American flag you are riding high.  Most all of us on the opposite side are just as Patriotic.  It is the whine bags at the PGA, and many of its players, who I am taking great happiness in seeing squirm.  Frankly, you too.

46 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Hop off the American flag you are riding high.  Most all of us on the opposite side are just as Patriotic.  It is the whine bags at the PGA, and many of its players, who I am taking great happiness in seeing squirm.  Frankly, you too.

He’s in full meltdown, and continually clueless on the facts.

Nobody here is championing a Saudi takeover of the West or this great sport. This is about the internal flaws and corruption ongoing inside the PGA Tour and the blatant (cherry picked) hypocrisy of the crying self righteous Shamblees. Phil was right, it’s a damn shame it took all of this to bring it out and addressed. Now (as it turns out) Rory feels those who stayed should be compensated for not going to LIV… Uh what??? Rory, JT, Billy Horschits and the rest told every camera stuck in their face that it wasn’t about the money, that they played for integrity and tradition - now they want to be paid after all? :doh: :lol:

I’ve said all along, the Tour had substantial arguments against LIV, none of which were monetary. But they showed their ass and blew it by bringing up the money. They just couldn’t help themselves, bcoz deep down - it really was about the money all along… 

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

He’s in full meltdown, and continually clueless on the facts.

Nobody here is championing a Saudi takeover of the West or this great sport. This is about the internal flaws and corruption ongoing inside the PGA Tour and the blatant (cherry picked) hypocrisy of the crying self righteous Shamblees. Phil was right, it’s a damn shame it took all of this to bring it out and addressed. Now (as it turns out) Rory feels those who stayed should be compensated for not going to LIV… Uh what??? Rory, JT, Billy Horschits and the rest told every camera stuck in their face that it wasn’t about the money, that they played for integrity and tradition - now they want to be paid after all? :doh: :lol:

I’ve said all along, the Tour had substantial arguments against LIV, none of which were monetary. But they showed their ass and blew it by bringing up the money. They just couldn’t help themselves, but deep down - it really was about the money all along… 

The team stuff Rory and Tiger are starting, is that PGA sanctioned or are those 2 flipping the middle finger to the PGA too?

Jimmy Dunne, the Architect of the PGA Tour-LIV Golf Deal, Lays Out the Details

• The PGA Tour will still be called the PGA Tour, but now commissioner Jay Monahan also oversees LIV Golf, and the PGA Tour remains a partner of the DP World Golf Tour. Monahan has told Al-Rumayyan they will evaluate LIV at the end of the year.
  • If Monahan wants to disband LIV, he can. If LIV golfers want to play on the Tour, Monahan and the current PGA Tour leaders have to approve the terms. Monahan has banned them; it is presumed that penalties to return to the Tour will be significant.
  • PIF is not actually contributing anything directly to the PGA Tour or its players. PIF will instead get “right of first refusal” to be the Tour’s investment partner, through a new company the Tour is creating. What does this mean? Well, let’s say the Tour wants to buy Pebble Beach. PIF has the right to be its partner. The Tour will be the controlling partner in any investments.

• PIF has not promised a single dollar in investments, and the Tour has not promised the Saudis anything other than that right of first refusal: No guarantee of tournament sites or sponsorships or anything else. It is presumed, however, that Saudis will want to be as involved financially as they can be – and that the Tour will welcome sponsorship opportunities with its new investment partner.

Best article I've read so far on this deal. Monahan oversees LIV and the PGAT.  Greg Norman is pretty much out of the picture. 

Also, current PGAT stars will be compensated for their loyalty by something called the PIP (player impact program) that LIV golfers will not qualify for.

4 minutes ago, BufordT said:

Jimmy Dunne, the Architect of the PGA Tour-LIV Golf Deal, Lays Out the Details

Best article I've read so far on this deal. Monahan oversees LIV and the PGAT.  Greg Norman is pretty much out of the picture. 

Also, current PGAT stars will be compensated for their loyalty by something called the PIP (player impact program) that LIV golfers will not qualify for.

Maybe the best article but it really sheds little light to me.  I suspect there is a lot more going on than Dunne has released.

14 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

The team stuff Rory and Tiger are starting, is that PGA sanctioned or are those 2 flipping the middle finger to the PGA too?

Don't worry about that, rival golf entities are ok as long as the PGA can stamp their name on it and get a cut.

But you're losing focus, never mind Nike paid Tiger gazillions of $$$ off the back, sweat and tears of children (some as young as 12), you focus on the blood money. :mad:

The PIP program was birthed out of the LIV mass exodus, or escalated anyway. And let's not be shy, let's call it what it is - a bribe, a Ponzi scheme. 

Those that stayed preached on and on about how they played for the love of the game, for integrity, tradition, yada, yada, yada. Yet the Tour had to come up with something to get all these guys to actually play - play in events other than just the majors, Player's and WGCs.. And speaking of money, funny how Jay-boy found this stash of $$$ all of the sudden to fund it, just fell out the sky practically. At every turn the Jay-boy proves Phil right, just astonishing really. 

Money, money, money - it's always about the money, no matter how they want to pretend it's not. 

PGA released the new schedule with all the LIV inspired changes :clap:

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/needtoknow/2023/08/07/five-things-to-know--2024-pga-tour-schedule

• an offseason!... well, for the top guys
  • more money was magically found for what are now called "signature events"
  • PGA trying to make the ATT pro am relevant again by making it a signature event
  • 5 signature events with :blink: NO CUT

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

PGA released the new schedule with all the LIV inspired changes :clap:

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/needtoknow/2023/08/07/five-things-to-know--2024-pga-tour-schedule

• an offseason!... well, for the top guys
  • more money was magically found for what are now called "signature events"
  • PGA trying to make the ATT pro am relevant again by making it a signature event
  • 5 signature events with :blink: NO CUT

We can make Edex 10 events next year

* The Sentry (Jan. 1-7)
* The Genesis Invitational (Feb. 12-18)
* Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard (March 4-10)
* The Players March 14-17
* Masters April 11-14
* Wells Fargo Championship (May 6-12)
* PGA Championship May 16-19
* The Memorial Tournament presented by Workday (June 3-9)
* US Open June 13-16
* British Open July 18-21

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edjr said:

We can make Edex 10 events next year

* The Sentry (Jan. 1-7)
* The Genesis Invitational (Feb. 12-18)
* Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard (March 4-10)
* The Players March 14-17
* Masters April 11-14
* Wells Fargo Championship (May 6-12)
* PGA Championship May 16-19
* The Memorial Tournament presented by Workday (June 3-9)
* US Open June 13-16
* British Open July 18-21

I like it 

12 hours ago, bostonlager said:

I like it 

and done by before august