Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

MNF Discussion: Bills @ Bengals

Recommended Posts

Latest I've found is he had a pulse but was not breathing on his own as he left the stadium ūüėí

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know everyone will think I'm a quack for this but that covid vaccine needs to be studied 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

I know everyone will think I'm a quack for this but that covid vaccine needs to be studied 

It's the clot shot.. It's killing people all over the place. A 38 year old ex lineman from the Jags died today too..

 

I'm on a "pure blood" donor list in case I ever need a transfusion. They are cropping up all over the world.. I don't want blood from a vaxxed person.

 

I used to be the pariah because I refused to get it.. Now all the ex pariahs are the smart ones.

Edited by NelsonAlgren
spelling
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

I know everyone will think I'm a quack for this but that covid vaccine needs to be studied 

I assure you, many athletes have gone through this exact scenario for decades before now (Chris Pronger is a famous example). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Nothing official, obviously, but sounds a lot like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

I figured either that or undiagnosed WPW syndrome, hoping he is ok. Hopefully he had little downtime, it looked like CPR and defibrillation occurred pretty rapidly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens for fantasy football if they end up replaying the game? I need 5 more points from diggs for the championship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NelsonAlgren said:

ABC said he's in critical condition..

well, the paramedics did their job.  they got him to hospital and he was still alive.

hospital has equipment they dont have in an ambulance so I have to think his chances of making it have gone up.   by how much I dont know, but I'd like to think there is a fair chance he makes it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NelsonAlgren said:

ABC said he's in critical condition..

His heart stopped and he received CPR, 100% of the time the hospital will give critical condition as the initial status update to media/authorities (source: work ED in a level 1 trauma center).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dolphinfan20 said:

What happens for fantasy football if they end up replaying the game? I need 5 more points from diggs for the championship

I know the NFL does not like long delays.   if he normalizes in hospital I would assume by postponing its likely a 1 or 2 day delay at most.

if the the guy actually passes.  this game likely goes to the end of the season.  

I know its gonna be strange for fantasy  I'd assume they would just wait for the game's resumption.  most leagues dont take games from week 17 as starters are often sat to prevent injuries to key players leading to the playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL itself hasn't run into this problem, but several other major pro sports have simply gone the route of the game not happening. Playoff positioning in those cases would be winning percentage based to make up for the two teams that played one fewer game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I know the NFL does not like long delays.   if he normalizes in hospital I would assume by postponing its likely a 1 or 2 day delay at most.

if the the guy actually passes.  this game likely goes to the end of the season.  

I know its gonna be strange for fantasy  I'd assume they would just wait for the game's resumption.  most leagues dont take games from week 17 as starters are often sat to prevent injuries to key players leading to the playoffs.

All my leagues go through week 17 so championships are up in the air. I’m guessing a lot of them involve Bills and Bengals players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msudavedawg said:

All my leagues go through game 17 so championships are up in the air. I’m guessing a lot of them involve Bills and Bengals players.

for sure they do.  The championship in my league depends on Higgins production.

for this reason I think if the player normalizes they will try to play it rather than postpone.   both teams are there.  but this is a highly fluid situation and we likely wont know until tomorrow sometime.

if he remains critical there is no way they play the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

The NFL itself hasn't run into this problem, but several other major pro sports have simply gone the route of the game not happening. Playoff positioning in those cases would be winning percentage based to make up for the two teams that played one fewer game.

With a bye week at stake I don’t see how they do not somehow play this game out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msudavedawg said:

With a bye week at stake I don’t see how they do not somehow play this game out. 

In a sport where it is easy to find room for a rescheduling, sure...football isn't really a "just play two games in three days" sport. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

In a sport where it is easy to find room for a rescheduling, sure...football isn't really a "just play two games in three days" sport. 

if they play the game tomorrow or the next day both their week 18 games likely become monday night games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I know its gonna be strange for fantasy¬† I'd assume they would just wait for the game's resumption.¬† most leagues dont take games from week 17 as starters are often sat to prevent injuries to key players leading to the playoffs. ÔĽŅ

This isn't correct. Not any longer. When the league played 17 weeks, most leagues ended week 16 for the stated reasons. Now the league plays 18 weeks so most leagues now end with week 17.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Law said:

This isn't correct. Not any longer. When the league played 17 weeks, most leagues ended week 16 for the stated reasons. Now the league plays 18 weeks so most leagues now end with week 17.

 

sorry forgot to correct for the update.  what I meant was next weeks games likely dont matter for fantasy (unless this game moves to next week)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't be replayed tomorrow. Bills are on their way back to New York. 

FOX Cincinnati's Joe Danneman reports the Bills will return to Buffalo following the suspension of Monday night's game against the Bengals. 
It means the game will not be resumed on Tuesday as the football world waits for news on Bills S Damar Hamlin. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bills flew back home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dolphinfan20 said:

how do we know

The Buffalo wings were gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dolphinfan20 said:

how do we know

See my message 2 spots above yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don't get it.  Players have been knocked out cold, concussed, broken bones gruesomely, paralyzed, carried off the filed on stretchers - the game has always gone on.  Yes, it is a seriously life threatening situation for that young man, but is his and his family's tragedy and grief any more important than that of any other player (or any other person for that matter)?  No football game would ever be played if we waited for a clear period where no one was experiencing any tragedy, suffering and/or grief.  Just a few examples: Brett Favre played a day after his father died - the game went on.  There is a mass-shooting seemingly every week - the games continue.  COVID killed over a million people in the US and had untold economic impact due to lock-downs - the games went on (without live fans and sometimes even without enough players).  There is a war going on in Ukraine for nearly a year - the games continue.  This postponement just reeks of cancel-culture and the fear that pundits and the twitter-verse would "cancel" the NFL for continuing a game while the life of a player hangs in the balance.  The irony is that everyone recognizes (or should recognize) that football is a dangerous game (yes life-threatening dangerous sometimes) and players willingly take that risk every time they step onto the field (and are compensated quite well for that).  It actually seems more appropriate to continue the game this player likely loves and has a passion for - maybe even dedicate the rest of the game to the fallen player (what ever happened to the idea that "the show must go on"?) rather than stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Showboat said:

I honestly don't get it.  Players have been knocked out cold, concussed, broken bones gruesomely, paralyzed, carried off the filed on stretchers - the game has always gone on.  Yes, it is a seriously life threatening situation for that young man, but is his and his family's tragedy and grief any more important than that of any other player (or any other person for that matter)?  No football game would ever be played if we waited for a clear period where no one was experiencing any tragedy, suffering and/or grief.  Just a few examples: Brett Favre played a day after his father died - the game went on.  There is a mass-shooting seemingly every week - the games continue.  COVID killed over a million people in the US and had untold economic impact due to lock-downs - the games went on (without live fans and sometimes even without enough players).  There is a war going on in Ukraine for nearly a year - the games continue.  This postponement just reeks of cancel-culture and the fear that pundits and the twitter-verse would "cancel" the NFL for continuing a game while the life of a player hangs in the balance.  The irony is that everyone recognizes (or should recognize) that football is a dangerous game (yes life-threatening dangerous sometimes) and players willingly take that risk every time they step onto the field (and are compensated quite well for that).  It actually seems more appropriate to continue the game this player likely loves and has a passion for - maybe even dedicate the rest of the game to the fallen player (what ever happened to the idea that "the show must go on"?) rather than stop it.

I think it's just the fact that people are overestimating the severity of his condition because it was, for a moment, a life-threatening situation.  I didn't see any of it, but apparently the players were treated to the scene of medics "feverishly" "pounding on his chest" to give him CPR.  Now, I doubt that they were really "pounding on his chest"--they were more likely correctly administering CPR compressions and rescue breathing--but getting CPR isn't the kind of treatment they are used to seeing a fallen player receive on the field.  Twist a leg back into place, listen to screams of anguish, sure, but not having to watch someone literally being brought back to life.  That's what took them off guard and left them so stunned.

However, once he was resuscitated, the ongoing threat to his life is actually pretty minimal.  It was just sort of like hitting the "reset" button on his heart, but once it was restarted, it's going to continue to operate more or less normally with little threat of recurrence, barring another perfectly-timed shot to the chest.  Guys that have compound fractures in their legs probably face more of an ongoing risk from blood clots and such that Hamlin faces from this incident.  But it just brought everyone face to face with their own mortality so soon after celebrating the holidays and a new year.

And so, to protect Axe Elf's two fantasy championships, and to preserve the Chiefs' #1 seed in the AFC, it's just best for everyone if we forget this game was ever scheduled as a desperate measure of denying our own mortality, and struggle forward as best we can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game should have continued.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, weepaws said:

The game should have continued.  

I disagree.   The players were distraught and it becomes more of a safety concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

And so, to protect Axe Elf's two fantasy championships, and to preserve the Chiefs' #1 seed in the AFC, it's just best for everyone if we forget this game was ever scheduled as a desperate measure of denying our own mortality, and struggle forward as best weÔĽŅ canÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅ

I agree could care less about my championship 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gcmmidwest said:

I agree could care less about my championship 

And that is your prerogative. But for some with a lot on the line and that could use the ducats that come along with the finals W, they are hoping of course for his complete recovery and heath, but also that the game is completed, just like employees at any other business would be expected to do. 

And I know many won't say it and that's ok.   Doesn't make my concern for his well-being any less.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Showboat said:

I honestly don't get it.  Players have been knocked out cold, concussed, broken bones gruesomely, paralyzed, carried off the filed on stretchers - the game has always gone on.

well, initially the guy had no hearbeat and wasnt breathing until they performed some CPR to bring him back.

arguably this is a different level of on field trauma.  players left the field thinking they may have witnessed a death.

I think the right call was made.   at the time the call was made we didnt know if the guy would eventually live or die and forcing people to play at a time when we dont know the end result might have been a bit of a cold thing to do.  

in the past the league has had a reputation of being uncaring.   I think they are trying to get away from this label so if trying to indeed do this, this is a nice way to show that maybe you actually care about your players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I think it's just the fact that people are overestimating the severity of his condition because it was, for a moment, a life-threatening situation.  I didn't see any of it, but apparently the players were treated to the scene of medics "feverishly" "pounding on his chest" to give him CPR.  Now, I doubt that they were really "pounding on his chest"--they were more likely correctly administering CPR compressions and rescue breathing--but getting CPR isn't the kind of treatment they are used to seeing a fallen player receive on the field.  Twist a leg back into place, listen to screams of anguish, sure, but not having to watch someone literally being brought back to life.  That's what took them off guard and left them so stunned.

However, once he was resuscitated, the ongoing threat to his life is actually pretty minimal.  It was just sort of like hitting the "reset" button on his heart, but once it was restarted, it's going to continue to operate more or less normally with little threat of recurrence, barring another perfectly-timed shot to the chest.  Guys that have compound fractures in their legs probably face more of an ongoing risk from blood clots and such that Hamlin faces from this incident.  But it just brought everyone face to face with their own mortality so soon after celebrating the holidays and a new year.

And so, to protect Axe Elf's two fantasy championships, and to preserve the Chiefs' #1 seed in the AFC, it's just best for everyone if we forget this game was ever scheduled as a desperate measure of denying our own mortality, and struggle forward as best we can.

Dude was dead.

Maybe they brought him back. I hope so. Being hooked up to a machine to breath isn’t a great sign but they did get to him as quick as you could possibly hope for.

But yeah, it was a huge deal and your take is asinine imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Dude was dead.

Well, he wasn't "dead."  He was in cardiac arrest, and he could have died from it if he had not received immediate medical attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Well, he wasn't "dead."  He was in cardiac arrest, and he could have died from it if he had not received immediate medical attention.

That is right. They got his heart  beating again, but it sounds like he hasn’t been able to breath on his own since the incident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Damar Hamlin can recover.

I believe it was right to shut the game down last night. However, I think the Bills should have remained in Cincinnati & finished the game tonight. 

  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, easilyscan said:

I hope Damar Hamlin can recover.

I believe it was right to shut the game down last night. However, I think the Bills should have remained in Cincinnati & finished the game tonight. 

  

I get where you are coming from.  but until we know for sure the guy will be ok we wont likely see an announcement.

if he passes away they will likely give the team time to grieve.

once they confirm he will be ok that game will be rescheduled immediately I'm sure.   with this sort of thing I would guess they will know fairly quickly if he is likely to make a full recovery but they dont want to make an announcement until they are certain.   And that makes sense.  you dont want to be rescheduling games more than once if the situation suddenly takes a turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×