Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

Walmart to shutter Portland locations just months after CEO’s warnings on crime

Brought to you by Mayor Ted Wheeler 

• Like 1

That’s really unfortunate. 

Liberal policies create hell holes, just ruin these cities 

• Like 2

Well, we cannot convert to communism if privately owned businesses can feed the people. So stop policing crime, let nature take its course and allow burglaries to skyrocket, watch all the businesses flee, then offer a solution of government-run food pantries.  And if you don't do as they say, no food for you.  So behave!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The community gardens will pick up the slack. 

I visited Portland last year.  What a depressing place.  Downtown was nothing but homeless and food trucks.  Most businesses were gone.  

If they catch shoplifters nothing is done to them anyway.  If they try to stop them, they run the risk of being sued.  Just easiest to move out where policies like this exist and let the place rot when no businesses will want to be there.

Seems to me that Wal-Mart does more harm than good to communities. In many areas, it puts local stores out of business. Many people would be glad to see Wal-Mart shut down in their town.

Also, remember Walgreens saying they had to close stores due to crime in San Francisco? And then it turned out that was a flat-out lie. It is really unlikely that shoplifting would be bad enough to cause Wally World to shut down. There are other reasons for this. They just blame crime because it’s in the news a lot lately and it’s a convenient reason for them to use.

PS - I read the article a bit more carefully. The CEO never said these stores were closing due to crime. Fox Business pulled out a quote from the CEO from December, that wasn’t referring to Portland specifically.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, dogcows said:

Seems to me that Wal-Mart does more harm than good to communities. In many areas, it puts local stores out of business. Many people would be glad to see Wal-Mart shut down in their town.

Also, remember Walgreens saying they had to close stores due to crime in San Francisco? And then it turned out that was a flat-out lie. It is really unlikely that shoplifting would be bad enough to cause Wally World to shut down. There are other reasons for this. They just blame crime because it’s in the news a lot lately and it’s a convenient reason for them to use.

It's funny to see liberals blaming Walmart for their own focked up, violent views in life. 

Summer of 2020...."WALMART!!! :cry:"

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Well I guess we will see news stories in a few months about how much better things there are since the store closings.  More good news for Portland!!  :clap:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dogcows said:

Yup, because less jobs is a good thing. Kinda like when AOC ran Amazon out of NY. 

And we certainly wouldn't want people to have the convenience of a Walmart either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogcows said:

PS - I read the article a bit more carefully. The CEO never said these stores were closing due to crime. Fox Business pulled out a quote from the CEO from December, that wasn’t referring to Portland specifically.

Yeah these stores just appear to be “underperforming,” and were among a group of stores in various states set to close, it wasn’t specific to Portland (also lol at some tweets saying “ALL Portland stores are closing!”  when “all” = 2). But crime can certainly contribute to being underperforming.  

7 hours ago, dogcows said:

It's a valid take. My grandfather's independent hardware store was under pressure from the big box corporate hardware stores and at a serious competitive disadvantage until it shut down in '84. I've always nursed lingering resentments over this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, League Champion said:

Yup, because less jobs is a good thing. Kinda like when AOC ran Amazon out of NY. 

And we certainly wouldn't want people to have the convenience of a Walmart either. 

Often, a wal-mart coming to town leads to a net loss of jobs, and a decrease in economic output.

An analysis conducted by Puget Sound Sage in 2012, a nonprofit public policy organization that looks at regional economic issues, asserts that each new Walmart store decreases the local community’s economic output over 20 years by an estimated $13 million. The research also discovered that each Walmart store costs the community an additional $14 million in lost wages over the next 20 years. 

The effect in Portland would be felt less than a more rural area, since there are plenty of other places to shop in a city the size of Portland.

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Yeah these stores just appear to be “underperforming,” and were among a group of stores in various states set to close, it wasn’t specific to Portland (also lol at some tweets saying “ALL Portland stores are closing!”  when “all” = 2). But crime can certainly contribute to being underperforming.  

Yeah, that's it.  Underperforming in a large city.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Often, a wal-mart coming to town leads to a net loss of jobs, and a decrease in economic output.

How so? It also draws in other businesses. 

16 minutes ago, League Champion said:

How so? It also draws in other businesses. 

I posted the name of the study for you. Read it and you might discover the answer to your question.

16 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Liberals can’t even admit the reason for this? My God, they’ll try and spin anything. 

Who are you gonna believe? Dogcows or your lying eyes? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Liberals can’t even admit the reason for this? My God, they’ll try and spin anything. 

Portland businesses looted and almost burned to the ground by BLM/antifa protestors.

Portland city residents assaulted during said protest and rampant crime due to not enforcing laws.

Portland run by "Defund the Police" democrats and encouraged said protestors and vilified police force.

Portland run by Democrats who don't want to enforce the existing laws (including shoplifting) due to "racism".

Portland cops leaving the city in droves due to all of the above.

Liberals Everywhere:  "Walmart is just underperforming, that's all".  :doh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yeah, that's it.  Underperforming in a large city.  :rolleyes:

If you have eyes, you’ll realize that Walmart doesn’t have many stores in urban cities in the first place.  High rents/real estate costs likely one reason.    Another being Walmarts are really geared towards car-owners so are not nearly as convenient for city dwellers, albeit I’m not exactly sure how urban these Portland locations actually are.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

If you have eyes, you’ll realize that Walmart doesn’t have many stores in urban cities in the first place.  High rents/real estate costs likely one reason.    Another being Walmarts are really geared towards car-owners so are not nearly as convenient for city dwellers, albeit I’m not exactly sure how urban these Portland locations actually are.

They thrive in suburban and rural areas. Many big cities have just 1 or 2, or none. NYC has a population of over 8 million, and has none.

They do best in areas where their competition is a handful of mom-and-pop business that they can easily undercut on price and knock out of business. They used to be the most destructive company to small businesses nationwide, but I think now it’s Amazon.

14 minutes ago, dogcows said:

They thrive in suburban and rural areas. Many big cities have just 1 or 2, or none. NYC has a population of over 8 million, and has none.

They do best in areas where their competition is a handful of mom-and-pop business that they can easily undercut on price and knock out of business. They used to be the most destructive company to small businesses nationwide, but I think now it’s Amazon.

NYC has wal marts. 

12 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

NYC has wal marts. 

Really? Where are they located?

18 hours ago, League Champion said:

When a Walmart closes you know the city has problems.

I was in Portland around 10 years ago and really enjoyed it.  Just had a good vibe to the city.   Went there last summer for a wedding and was shocked at how much decline it was in.  The once vibrant downtown area was a ghost town with half the businesses closed.   The people hanging around seemed like hostile lowlifes in the evening.  Not sure it can recover to what is was before now. 

So sad to see once beautiful cities like Portland, Seattle and SF go down the tubes.

But as they say when one goes down another rises, people are finding smaller, safer cities to eat, drink and shop in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avoiding injuries said:

yup, dogcows is immediately in here trying to change the subject because he cannot defend the liberals destroying cities.

of course, its liberals like dogcows that tell us globalism is great and America first is bad.  Now hes suddenly turning into Trump in this thread whining about how globalism killed small American dreams.  dogcows is just lying and being a prickk.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dogcows said:

The Bronx. Target is in NYC too 

28 minutes ago, dogcows said:

There are zero Walmarts in New York City.

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

There are zero Walmarts in New York City.

There is also Costco in NYC, in addition to wal mart and target.  Home Depot too. So there are plenty of big box retailers in NYC. Wal mart has a fulfillment center in the Bronx that delivers to NYC. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Bronx. Target is in NYC too 

What is the address of the Walmart in the Bronx?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogcows said:

What is the address of the Walmart in the Bronx?

Where the hell do you fit a Walmart in NYC? There's not 10' of land much less 20 acres. 

Probably constant attacks from the proud boys and white supremacists. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Where the hell do you fit a Walmart in NYC? There's not 10' of land much less 20 acres. 

Ask HT. He says they have some there.

11 hours ago, Voltaire said:

It's a valid take. My grandfather's independent hardware store was under pressure from the big box corporate hardware stores and at a serious competitive disadvantage until it shut down in '84. I've always nursed lingering resentments over this.

But now that they are the only game in town closing up would be devastating for many communities. 

9 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Portland businesses looted and almost burned to the ground by BLM/antifa protestors.

Portland city residents assaulted during said protest and rampant crime due to not enforcing laws.

Portland run by "Defund the Police" democrats and encouraged said protestors and vilified police force.

Portland run by Democrats who don't want to enforce the existing laws (including shoplifting) due to "racism".

Portland cops leaving the city in droves due to all of the above.

Liberals Everywhere:  "Walmart is just underperforming, that's all".  :doh:

Yep and they are getting what they asked for.  I hope they are happy with what they built. 

• Like 1

Diversity is our strength

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Portland cops leaving the city in droves due to all of the above

This is all 100% fact. 

You get what you vote for. 🌈 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 1:24 PM, dogcows said:

Ask HT. He says they have some there.

So far, I found that Walmart had a store in New York City as a fulfillment center under its jet.com subsidary.  This was located at 1055 Bronx River avenue in the Bronx.  It looks like it closed recently though.  I don't know if Walmart had a store or subsidary elsewhere.  Its possible the Bronx and NYC in general has regulations to keep big box retailers out to protect local business, so Walmart used jet.com to run an end around regulations but this sentence is speculation.  I'll try to find other subsidiaries tho.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/online-retail/jetcom-open-grocery-e-commerce-facility-new-york-city

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/16/business/walmart-jet-nyc.html

Walmart Finally Makes It to the Big Apple

• Sept. 16, 2018

On a bank of the Bronx River, below the roar of the Bruckner Expressway, Walmart has finally found a foothold in a city that has long shunned it.

Walmart’s e-commerce business, Jet.com, is leasing a 205,000-square-foot warehouse in the Bronx that will soon begin supplying MacBooks and organic eggs to New York’s well-heeled shoppers.

The physical presence is a victory for the nation’s largest retailer, which has faced resistance from labor groups and their political allies every time it has proposed opening a store in the five boroughs. But it’s also an acknowledgment that the company’s longtime national strategy won’t work in certain big cities.

With a revamped Jet’s new push into New York, Walmart is trying to reach beyond its core base of big-box stores in rural and suburban America and compete for higher-income urbanites. A retailing empire built on no frills and low prices, Walmart is using Jet to entice millennials and young families with trendy, premium products like Big Gay Ice Cream and Dr. Martens shoes.

“We believe we can win in New York,” Jet’s president, Simon Belsham, said in an interview.

By acquiring stand-alone businesses, Walmart has been able to avoid the political furor it typically sets off in left-leaning cities where there is deep support for the unions that Walmart has rebuffed. Jet is also pushing to grow its business in Boston, Philadelphia and Washington.

It’s a more subtle approach. Walmart agreed to buy Jet, which is based in Hoboken, N.J., for $3.3 billion in 2016 and has preserved the company’s distinct purple logo. Jet’s packages are being ferried around New York by Parcel, a Brooklyn delivery service that Walmart acquired last year. Parcel delivery vans bear no obvious markings of their parent company.

It also helps that Walmart’s status as a lightning rod may be diminishing as working conditions at Amazon make it the target du jour.