Sign in to follow this  
edjr

NFL vs NBA TV Ratings: Who had the highest viewership on Christmas Day 2023

https://en.as.com/nba/nfl-vs-nba-tv-ratings-who-had-the-highest-viewership-on-christmas-day-2023-n/

This past week was a great example of how the NFL still dominates sports television. Despite Christmas Day falling on a Monday, the NFL offered viewers a tripleheader that went up against the NBA, with three exciting matchups broadcasted nationally. CBS aired the Chiefs-Raiders, followed by Giants-Eagles on Fox, and finally the thrilling Ravens-49ers game on ABC. It was rare to see ABC broadcasting a standalone NFL game like the old days of Monday Night Football.

The NFL ratings
Since 2016, the NFL has started putting emphasis on scheduling games on Christmas Day, a day usually reserved for NBA games. Before 2016, they had played only 15 Christmas Day regular season games, but since then, they have played 13 games. The first NFL Christmas Day regular season game was played in 1989. In contrast, the NBA has played games on Christmas Day every year since 1947, the year the League was born.

The first of three NFL games played on Christmas Day in 2023 featured the Las Vegas Raiders against the Kansas City Chiefs. According to CBS Sports, an average of 29.171 million viewers watched the AFC West contest on CBS and Nickelodeon. The game was the most-watched Christmas Day programming in CBS history and the highest-rated NFL game since 1989.

The NBA ratings
The NBA has been broadcasting games on Christmas Day for 76 years. The first game was played in 1947, with the New York Knicks defeating the Providence Steamrollers. This tradition has continued and become a holiday staple.

For a long time, the NBA was the only sport to air games on Christmas Day, which gave them an advantage in TV ratings. However, during Thanksgiving, the NFL averaged over 34 million viewers, which is almost eight times the average audience of an NBA game on Christmas Day.

Last year, the NFL debuted with multiple games on Christmas Day and had much higher TV ratings than the NBA. In 2022, the NFL had an average of 22.9 million viewers across three games, while the NBA only reached 4.27 million average viewers. Although ratings increased by 4.6% year-over-year, it was the second-lowest rating recorded by the NBA in the past five seasons.

NBA sucks. 

Remember when all the conservatives b1tched about the kneeling and BLM crap and said they weren't going to watch anymore. For a couple of months, they celebrated the low ratings. Then they all went right back to watching and going to games?

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Remember when all the conservatives b1tched about the kneeling and BLM crap and said they weren't going to watch anymore. For a couple of months, they celebrated the low ratings. Then they all went right back to watching and going to games?

Didn't they stop kneeling and stop painting BLM crap on the fields?

Just now, edjr said:

I don't know. 

39 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

We've long known them to be low character cry babies.  Sad.

2 minutes ago, The Psychic Observer said:

Stopped kneeling but the BLM crap is still on the field and on the helmets.

I haven't seen it once. 

1 minute ago, The Psychic Observer said:

You probably don't watch the NFL.

Look at the sidelines and end zone.

I watch every Patriots game and most big 4:30 and Sunday night games. Haven't seen any of this.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Brock Montana against the Ravens. 

Also I don't look for it to cry about it. 

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

They stopped kneeling but the BLM inspired slogans are still in the endzone.

The Lions had one of the wokest teams in the league, but are under new management with hardly anyone is left from that era. It also helps that the Lions have a compelling team for once. Unlike Comrade Stafford, Jared Goff never knelt while he was in LA during the height of the BLM bullsh*t.. He did put his hand on the shoulder of a kneeling teammate though, so mixed signals, as opposed to an Alejandro Villanueva-type middle finger to wokeness.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Imagine the ratings if the games didn't suck!

I thought the LV/KC game was fantastic!  :lol:

6 minutes ago, DonS said:

I enjoyed it too! I had a 50-point lead going into the game and my opponent had Adams, Pacheco, Kelce and Butker. :doublethumbsup: 

We had the NFL games on all day on Christmas in the background while we had people over, and I watched the whole BAL-SF game because it had fantasy relevance to me. Even with the Celtics playing, I never considered changing the channel to the NBA.

3 hours ago, edjr said:

It's all over the fields and back of helmets.

Republicans stopped doing their fake outrage and moved onto their next fake outrage thing. But if Trump tells them to be outraged again they will be

I mean NFL would win regardless but it’s kind of hard to compare late season games from a 17 game season to December basketball. Most NFL games have more meaning and throw in how big fantasy is and that this is FF playoff time. 
viewership shouldn’t even be close. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I mean NFL would win regardless but it’s kind of hard to compare late season games from a 17 game season to December basketball 

Id expand to november december january february march basketball.  The season hardly matters.  Not just my opinion, teams are perfectly fine with sitting stars and losing games.  Its months of going through the motions.  

8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Id expand to november december january february march basketball.  The season hardly matters.  Not just my opinion, teams are perfectly fine with sitting stars and losing games.  Its months of going through the motions.  

Right, a regular season NBA game would never have a prayer against the NFL.

12 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

of course. I was just talking about Monday specifically. Figured my post would obviously point to NFL trumping NBA in general. 

although we can take March out of that equation with football done and if we are also counting college basketball. 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

of course. I was just talking about Monday specifically. Figured my post would obviously point to NFL trumping NBA in general. 

Post wasn't to really say that.

Was basically saying pick a month. December basketball isn't a ton different than any other part of the season.  

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

Post wasn't to really say that.

Was basically saying pick a month. December basketball isn't a ton different than any other part of the season.  

you mean you didn't get geeked up for the in season tournament? :o :lol:

2 hours ago, DonS said:

The result may have been to some.  😁  But that game was pretty crappy.  To someone with no hat in the ring, wanting to watch "good football", they were disappointed.

2 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Republicans stopped doing their fake outrage and moved onto their next fake outrage thing. But if Trump tells them to be outraged again they will be

Fake outrage like Justin Fields wearing his helmet with "Stop Racism" printed on the back? You go girl!!  😆

2 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

This is correct. Just like liberals have their faux race and gender outrage conservatives have their fake Muh flag and muh America love it or leave. All that goes out the window when their sports team is on or a new Marvel movie is out or literally anything, and that includes Bud light. Bud is probably already back. Hell Dana White took their money.

9 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

This is correct. Just like liberals have their faux race and gender outrage conservatives have their fake Muh flag and muh America love it or leave. All that goes out the window when their sports team is on or a new Marvel movie is out or literally anything, and that includes Bud light. Bud is probably already back. Hell Dana White took their money.

Agree that fake outrage dominates both sides 

People were angry about the kneeling. The kneeling stopped. Play ball! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Agree that fake outrage dominates both sides 

No it doesn't. It's not fake outrage from the conservatives. It's well earned outrage. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Psychic Observer said:

The BLM stuff is on the field and helmets. Keep watching. pawn.

Talk about a pawn. 😆

Libtards still smarting from Disney and bud light, trying to rewrite history. The kneeling started, the ratings went down. The kneeling stopped, the ratings went back up. That’s what happened.  Good guys won.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Libtards still smarting from Disney and bud light, trying to rewrite history. The kneeling started, the ratings went down. The kneeling stopped, the ratings went back up. That’s what happened.  Good guys won.  

Can it be any more obvious? 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Psychic Observer said:

The BLM stuff is on the field and helmets. Keep watching. pawn.

I watch a shittload of football and I don’t even notice it.  But yeah, if it’s on the field and helmets, take that shitt off.

On 12/27/2023 at 6:44 AM, The Psychic Observer said:

You probably don't watch the NFL.

Look at the sidelines and end zone.

Waaaaaaa! :cry: