The Real timschochet

What should we do about the drone attack in Jordan?

1 hour ago, avoiding injuries said:

It is a comforting feeling to know how respected we are around the world and by other world leaders that nobody would try and take advantage of us. 

I strongly disagree with you about how Biden is perceived around the world vs the previous President. 

But the purpose of this thread wasn’t to bash Biden OR Trump. My question was how we should respond to this current event. 

Figure out who is responsible and bomb them.

If it’s Iran, well I wouldn’t bomb them because that risks starting a war. Don’t want that. But I’d figure out something I’d do that could still hurt them, like maybe bombing something important to them outside of the actual country. Wipe out some of their terror cells or whatever.

Whatever it is, it should be big but without any real risk of getting us into a full on war.

38 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

If it’s Iran, well I wouldn’t bomb them because that risks starting a war. Don’t want that. But I’d figure out something I’d do that could still hurt them, like maybe bombing something important to them outside of the actual country. Wipe out some of their terror cells or whatever.

Whatever it is, it should be big but without any real risk of getting us into a full on war.

Abandoning Israel might work. Like that? That’s what they want 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I mostly like this answer.  I like the idea of destroying everything that matters to Iran.  

We need to presume though that all paths eventually lead to war with Iran, so our actions should put us in the best position for such a conflict.  I've never liked the Obama (and now Biden) approach of fearing Iran and, basically, being their little biotch by giving their money and hope they'll play nice.  

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

The numbers you’re posting here are all higher under Biden. So I don’t understand your point. 

Biden started with higher numbers than Trump.  

Trump saw oil production increase by 46% during his term (4,126) .  It dropped to a 26% increase (2,298) because of the covid shut downs.

Biden has an increase of 19% (2,111)

Your statement that "Under Biden oil production in this country has increased far more than it ever did under Trump: " is wrong.  That was my point

• Thanks 1

Just now, Twinsdad said:

Biden started with higher numbers than Trump.  

Trump saw oil production increase by 46% during his term (4,126) .  It dropped to a 26% increase (2,298) because of the covid shut downs.

Biden has an increase of 19% (2,111)

Your statement that "Under Biden oil production in this country has increased far more than it ever did under Trump: " is wrong.  That was my point

OK. If your figures are correct then I was wrong about that. But the common conservative narrative that Biden is to blame for slowing down oil production is also wrong. 

4 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

The reason we have troops in the Middle East is because our economy depends on a stable flow of oil from that region. 

You do realize that roughly 70% of the oil imported into the US comes from Canada and Mexico correct????

Just now, Bert said:

You do realize that roughly 70% of the oil imported into the US comes from Canada and Mexico correct????

Sure. But oil is a global commodity. So if the amount of oil coming from, for example, the Strait of Hormuz becomes threatened, the price of the oil we buy from Canada goes way up. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Sure. But oil is a global commodity. So if the amount of oil coming from, for example, the Strait of Hormuz becomes threatened, the price of the oil we buy from Canada goes way up. 

That is not what you said originally.

Since 1977, the percentage shares of U.S. total petroleum and crude oil imports from OPEC countries have generally declined. Saudi Arabia, the largest OPEC petroleum exporter to the United States, was the source of 7% of U.S. total petroleum imports and 7% of U.S. crude oil imports. Saudi Arabia is also the greatest source of U.S. petroleum imports from Persian Gulf countries. About 12% of U.S. total petroleum imports and 12% of U.S. crude oil imports were from Persian Gulf countries in 2022.

9 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

OK. If your figures are correct then I was wrong about that. But the common conservative narrative that Biden is to blame for slowing down oil production is also wrong. 

Your original statement that I quoted had nothing to do with the conservative narrative.  You admitted you were wrong, no need to move the goal posts after that.

• Sad 1

We have waited 90 years for medieval people to join the modern age.  Benevelently we developed their resources and then allowed them to control what they themselves could never have developed.  Rather that using extraordianry wealth to raise up thier own people and the world as a whole they, like children, decided to drive solid gold Rolls Royces and to make it snow in the desert.  They have proven to be chimps with guns.  They are not joining  this age of man, they are reverting.  Time to say to hell with the carrot, time to show them the stick.  Let them know the size of that stick is beyond their imaginings.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Twinsdad said:

Your original statement that I quoted had nothing to do with the conservative narrative.  You admitted you were wrong, no need to move the goal posts after that.

Yet my original statement was in response to the conservative narrative made in this thread. So I didn’t move the goalposts. 

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

That is not what you said originally.

Since 1977, the percentage shares of U.S. total petroleum and crude oil imports from OPEC countries have generally declined. Saudi Arabia, the largest OPEC petroleum exporter to the United States, was the source of 7% of U.S. total petroleum imports and 7% of U.S. crude oil imports. Saudi Arabia is also the greatest source of U.S. petroleum imports from Persian Gulf countries. About 12% of U.S. total petroleum imports and 12% of U.S. crude oil imports were from Persian Gulf countries in 2022.

What I said originally was that we have a military presence in the Middle East primarily because our economy depends on the stability of oil flowing from that region. That remains true despite your figures noting the decline over time. I think we can all agree that in the long run it would be to our benefit not to have to rely on stability from such a volatile part of the Earth. Which is one major reason, beyond climate change, why developing a viable alternative to petroleum is so necessary. 

17 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

What I said originally was that we have a military presence in the Middle East primarily because our economy depends on the stability of oil flowing from that region. That remains true despite your figures noting the decline over time. I think we can all agree that in the long run it would be to our benefit not to have to rely on stability from such a volatile part of the Earth. Which is one major reason, beyond climate change, why developing a viable alternative to petroleum is so necessary. 

It doesn't depend on it.  The middle east influence is getting smaller. 

24 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Agreed.  Nice post. 

The United States government is and has been playing a real life "game" of RISK. the U.S. govt. is a big part of the problems in the world and creates enemies many places they go if the country doesn't adhere to the United States govt. terms.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

We have waited 90 years for medieval people to join the modern age.  Benevelently we developed their resources and then allowed them to control what they themselves could never have developed.  Rather that using extraordianry wealth to raise up thier own people and the world as a whole they, like children, decided to drive solid gold Rolls Royces and to make it snow in the desert.  They have proven to be chimps with guns.  They are not joining  this age of man, they are reverting.  Time to say to hell with the carrot, time to show them the stick.  Let them know the size of that stick is beyond their imaginings.

Some of those countries, yes. However Saudi Arabi and the United Arab Emiraites have surpassed the U.S. in infrastructure, wealth per capita. 

For the middle east countries behind the times, I don't think showing are might is the best strategy for the future of our self-preservation.

I guess Biden’s warning three months ago didn’t work.

DON’T’: Biden Tells 60 Minutes His Message On Iran, Hezbollah Involvement in Israel-Hamas War is ‘Don’t, Don’t, Don’t’

6 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

I guess Biden’s warning three months ago didn’t work.

DON’T’: Biden Tells 60 Minutes His Message On Iran, Hezbollah Involvement in Israel-Hamas War is ‘Don’t, Don’t, Don’t’

Kamala said don’t too.  

7 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Bomb Syria and Iran into rubble... send in troops to finish off the massacre. Make the response so grotesque and over-the-top (Israel style) that nobody dares to mess with the U.S.

I don't cotton to "head in sand" policies. The attackers forgot the U.S. has the most powerful military in the world. Time to flex that muscle to remind them along with everyone else.

Seems like Iran would be a formidable opponent, much more than Iraq was, right?

16 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Seems like Iran would be a formidable opponent, much more than Iraq was, right?

Especially since they most likely have operatives in our country now. Many operatives. 

5 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Several mysterious accidental fires at refineries, oil storage facilities, pumping and export facilities seem to be in order.  When money stops governments fall.

5 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I can agree with this. 

5 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I mostly like this answer.  I like the idea of destroying everything that matters to Iran.  

We need to presume though that all paths eventually lead to war with Iran, so our actions should put us in the best position for such a conflict.  I've never liked the Obama (and now Biden) approach of fearing Iran and, basically, being their little biotch by giving their money and hope they'll play nice.  

You don’t want true war with Iran. They have a real military. Obviously we would win but there would be significant costs

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drone-attack-jordan-us-base-iran-denies-role

Iran has denied it was behind a drone strike that killed three U.S. troops at a military base in northeast Jordan on Sunday, but an Iran-backed militia based in Iraq said it had carried out four attacks in the area.

"Regional resistance factions do not receive orders from Iran, and Iran does not interfere in the decisions of the resistance to support Palestine or defend itself," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said at a press briefing Monday.

The Iran-backed militia group Islamic Resistance in Iraq put out a statement Monday saying it had targeted a U.S. garrison at al-Tanf, just across the Jordan-Syria border from the U.S. Tower 22 base that came under attack over the weekend, as well as two other U.S. bases in the region and an Israeli oil facility.

Pentagon spokesperson Sabrina Singh on Monday blamed the attack on an Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-backed militia and said the U.S. was trying to determine which one.

"Iran continues to arm and equip these groups to launch these attacks, and we will certainly hold them responsible," Singh said.

8 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

The narrative that Biden somehow decreased oil production from what it was under Trump is obviously untrue. 

TRUMP. :cry:

It's awesome how you libs always look to Trump for answers when you always try to tear him down 

A proportionate response on the terroristic clowns. They'll figure out the source and obliterate it accordingly.

Which is what needs to happen to peefoam's gene pool. 

9 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

A proportionate response on the terroristic clowns. They'll figure out the source and obliterate it accordingly.

Which is what needs to happen to peefoam's gene pool. 

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

TRUMP. :cry:

It's awesome how you libs always look to Trump for answers when you always try to tear him down 

This is evidence of your own derangement. I asked people here what we should do. The most popular answer is “well I don’t know but it was better under Trump!” Which isn’t even true, and irrelevant anyhow. 
The next time you offer something intelligent in any of these discussions will be the first. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

This is evidence of your own derangement. I asked people here what we should do. The most popular answer is “well I don’t know but it was better under Trump!” Which isn’t even true, and irrelevant anyhow. 
The next time you offer something intelligent in any of these discussions will be the first. 

TDS...

remember the TDS when Trump killed a terrorist how it was gonna start WW3.  Yet all the libs are in here for bombing terrorists.

I support bombing terrorists fwiw

Perhaps another stern warning? 

27 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Perhaps another stern warning? 

Exactly. Nobody around the world is worried about Joe Biden and the Democrats. Soft as baby shiit

Biden released a list of possible targets last night.  Nothing like warning your enemy about where you might strike. 

26 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

This is easy, reinstate the Trump sanctions on Iran.

Certainly a start.  But we have a neutered, ineffectual, coward for a President so don't hold your breath.