Sign in to follow this  
BeenHereBefore

I have A Problem With That Chic Beating Pete Maravich All Time Points Record

43 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've been seeing this argued on social media nonstop the last couple weeks.  Here are some things to keep in mind.

Pete played in a segregated league against inferior competition.

Pete attempted almost twice as many shots per game.  He had more attempts in 3 years than Clark has had in 4.

If you were to take away Clark's threes and match the attempted shots to Pete, she would have scored more points.  Even if it was only her last three years.

How about we just not compare them at all?  Let there be a women's record and a men's one.  It's like trying to compare football and basketball.  Hey, Steph Curry just broke John Elway's record for most points scored!!!!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BeachGuy23 said:

The only one who mentioned race was YOU.  Stupid freaking racist moron.

Don't try to project your "see the world through the lens of race" on me imbecile.

I'm way way too smart to judge people by the color of their skin.

You on the other hand have proved yourself to be a moronic, low IQ imbecile.  So naturally you're a racist too.

Begone insect. 

For greater impact replace "Insect" with "Nematode".

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

How about we just not compare them at all?  Let there be a women's record and a men's one.  It's like trying to compare football and basketball.  Hey, Steph Curry just broke John Elway's record for most points scored!!!!

That's fine.  It doesn't change the fact that she has the most points though.  Not sure why some people get so bent out of shape over it.

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That's fine.  It doesn't change the fact that she has the most points though.  Not sure why some people get so bent out of shape over it.

Agreed.. Good for her.  Shes an awesome player.  

17 hours ago, zsasz said:

Maybe a schmohawk Senior at some rinky dink school will break it.... but just about any male player of real talent is going to go pro ASAP.  

Petes record was almost broken last year. Same kind of scenario could happen again. 

• Like 1

Holy cr@p, the whining in this thread. 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:27 PM, BeenHereBefore said:

Not that she is a woman but cause 3 pointers wasn't around when Pete did it.

She's probably a tranny. That would explain the domination 

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

And girl sports still suck azz

The more I've watched women's basketball the more I've noticed it's a better product.  They are much better fundamentally than the men's teams.

Saw a youtubez on this, dood said while true that Pistol played one less year than Clark, he still took 400+ more shots than her. 

Kid glommed that rock. 

Greatest collegiate player ever.  

17 minutes ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

Saw a youtubez on this, dood said while true that Pistol played one less year than Clark, he still took 400+ more shots than her. 

Kid glommed that rock. 

Greatest collegiate player ever.  

He played for his dad and they ran the offense through him.  They had little competition and yet never made the NCAA tournament.  He was good but I can't help but think it's a little overblown.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

They had little competition and yet never made the NCAA tournament. 

they didn't invite 800 fockin' teams back then, either ... maybe only 32, iirc? 

point taken, tho a bit of extrapolation was needed. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

He was good but I can't help but think it's a little overblown.

Guy was a magician, and a tireless worker.  GOAT 🐐 

Had sports talk playing in the background today. Doug Gottlieb was having a little meltdown today on this topic. Was a bit odd as he doesn’t have a co-host and just kept talking about it for like 15 minutes.

Was very bent out of shape that they weren’t calling this the “Women’s record” but were instead calling it “NCAA record”.

4 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've been seeing this argued on social media nonstop the last couple weeks.  Here are some things to keep in mind.

Pete played in a segregated league against inferior competition.

Pete attempted almost twice as many shots per game.  He had more attempts in 3 years than Clark has had in 4.

If you were to take away Clark's threes and match the attempted shots to Pete, she would have scored more points.  Even if it was only her last three years.

It's a different freaking league. She didn't break Pistol Pete's scoring record. :lol:

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

She's probably a tranny. That would explain the domination 

Don't know about that but she's not easy on the eyes though.

4 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

For greater impact replace "Insect" with "Nematode".

I'm a simple guy.  That word is way too bigly for the likes of me. 

14 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Don't know about that but she's not easy on the eyes though.

No, he's not hot. 

On 3/4/2024 at 4:07 PM, iam90sbaby said:

And girl sports still suck azz

I thought beach volleyball was a fan favorite??

Clark is an unbelievable talent and player and she deserves the attention she is getting. Best all around women's player I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Clark is an unbelievable talent and player and she deserves the attention she is getting. Best all around women's player I've ever seen. 

Definitely one of the best for sure...  She is very exciting to watch for sure...

2 minutes ago, posty said:

Definitely one of the best for sure...  She is very exciting to watch for sure...

But but but she can't dunk and bench 300 like a guy can!!!

1 hour ago, posty said:

She's a joy to watch and she's very exciting to watch.

So you tune in and just beam with joy and get very excited?  You're trying to hard to make it something.  No one describes other people's athletics this way.   

I mean does it really bring you joy watching someone hit a 28 footer?

2 hours ago, nobody said:

She's a joy to watch and she's very exciting to watch.

So you tune in and just beam with joy and get very excited?  You're trying to hard to make it something.  No one describes other people's athletics this way.   

I mean does it really bring you joy watching someone hit a 28 footer?

I’ve had a blast watching her. Helps being a Hawkeye fan though. 

On 3/4/2024 at 2:09 PM, Hawkeye21 said:

The more I've watched women's basketball the more I've noticed it's a better product.  They are much better fundamentally than the men's teams.

Lol. No they arent. This is one of those things that dudes say when trying to compliment obviously inferior basketball. 

They dont dribble better, shoot better, rebound better, etc. 

What you have is way less parity. So when South Carolina plays the Sisters of the Poor they have their way with them. They can move the ball around at will and it looks like they have great fundamemtals. 

The inside out simplicity of when we played high school ball still works at that level because you can have 6'7" dominating bigs that have their way, even against good teams. So it looks different than mens basketball re: movement. But that isnt fundamentals, rather it is unathleticism and depth of talent and size on defense. 

Dont get me wrong, Clark is special. She is different from any player before. Range is phenomenal and I enjoy watching her. But honestly that is only because she is chucking up shots from everywhere and it stands out. It isnt bad fundamentals, it is just because to her, range is fundamental, as it has become in the mens game. 

3 minutes ago, jonnyutah said:

Lol. No they arent. This is one of those things that dudes say when trying to compliment obviously inferior basketball. 

They dont dribble better, shoot better, rebound better, etc. 

What you have is way less parity. So when South Carolina plays the Sisters of the Poor they have their way with them. They can move the ball around at will and it looks like they have great fundamemtals. 

The inside out simplicity of when we played high school ball still works at that level because you can have 6'7" dominating bigs that have their way, even against good teams. So it looks different than mens basketball re: movement. But that isnt fundamentals, rather it is unathleticism and depth of talent and size on defense. 

Dont get me wrong, Clark is special. She is different from any player before. Range is phenomenal and I enjoy watching her. But honestly that is only because she is chucking up shots from everywhere and it stands out. It isnt bad fundamentals, it is just because to her, range is fundamental, as it has become in the mens game. 

Exactly. It’s an easy perception to have for one simple reason, the game is entirely played under the rim. I coached men’s and women’s junior college basketball for a few years and the women’s game is definitely a bigger chess match because you don’t have to account for a guy getting forced baseline, but he still leaps goes underneath the basket in the air and does something incredibly athletic. 

Clark is great. She was at a perfect storm not going to one of the elite schools and going where the coach would let her shoot as much as she does. Unlike the elite teams Iowa didn’t schedule a tough non-conference schedule pretty much her entire career. There’s a reason she went to Iowa. 

On 3/4/2024 at 4:09 PM, Hawkeye21 said:

They used to be "much better".  They're getting worse.

On 3/4/2024 at 6:27 PM, Maximum Overkill said:

No, he's not hot. 

She's straight, white, Christian, and has a boyfriend.  Will be interesting to see how she's treated in the mostly black/LGBTQ lockerroom.

I dont take some issue with Clark and think some people are getting a bit too bent out of shape.  

I do chuckle at how they frame "the record".  When they wouldn’t if it was the other way around.  

Womens basketball as a whole still stinks. There are some good teams and elite players that can be decent to watch.  Clark being one of them.  But the game as a whole still stinks. 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They used to be "much better".  They're getting worse.

From what I've seen, the women are much better at passing and running their offense.  Just like cyclone said, it's played under the rim so there is more focus on their passing and running their offense.  These are just my observations from watching a lot of Iowa basketball though.

It's definitely better than it used to be.  I gave a game of two a , and the level of play was markedly better than it used to be.  

20 years ago there weren't enough good players to go around.  And then out of this shallow field, 4 of the top 10 players ended up at Connecticut, so they would dominate and the rest of the good players would be spread out over Stanford, South Carolina, etc.  That resulted in a product that wasn't very compelling.  

Yes ESPN kept telling us that UConn was amazing, but then I'd watch the game, and the opposing team had 2 players that didn't even belong on the court while UConn didn't play especially impressive and win by 30.

At least now, there are enough good players to field enough teams to make it so if the number 1 team is playing the number 2 team, it isn't a blowout.  

The thing that turns me off from the women's game is how they package it.

It's not just women's basketball.  For some reason the marketers always make the same mistake of thinking that in order to acknowledge women's strengths, they need to make the women seem like bad asses who can take on anybody because they're so badass.  When they present it that way - men or women - people will find it less palatable.  

It's like when guys like Jordan Poole insist they're awesome.  It's like, "dude, sit down."

On 3/4/2024 at 4:09 PM, Hawkeye21 said:

I assistant coached girls bball with teams grades 3-7.  The girls were not nearly as athletic as the boys, for sure and obviously.  However, there was and is an astounding lack of fundamental skill for both genders.  The boys, however, masked that with athleticism.  The girls just couldn’t mask it and were painful to watch at that age.  When a girl with shot form, FT form or ball handling came on the court she looked like MJ compared to the other girls.

1 minute ago, MLCKAA said:

I assistant coached girls bball with teams grades 3-7.  The girls were not nearly as athletic as the boys, for sure and obviously.  However, there was and is an astounding lack of fundamental skill for both genders.  The boys, however, masked that with athleticism.  The girls just couldn’t mask it and were painful to watch at that age.  When a girl with shot form, FT form or ball handling came on the court she looked like MJ compared to the other girls.

My daughter plays and my wife coaches high school girls basketball.  You're absolutely right at that level.  I'm strictly talking about at the college level though.  Watching Iowa play and move the ball is enjoyable to watch.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

From what I've seen, the women are much better at passing and running their offense.  Just like cyclone said, it's played under the rim so there is more focus on their passing and running their offense.  These are just my observations from watching a lot of Iowa basketball though.

Thats just because they are slower and easier to track on the TV. 

Also due to being slower there arent as many girls jumping passing lanes, and if they do, they probably can't recover. So a pass across the middle that any mens coach would scream Noooo! leads to an easy two and its like wow, look at those fundamentals!!

On the mens side you see examples now and again of slow princetons beating UCLA and you hear people talk about fundamentals. But princeton lost by like 25 in the second round. What happened to their fundamentals? 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

They are better than the men... I was just taking exception with your wording.  They used to be "much better".  I don't think that anymore.  With every passing year, the women's college game is growing, and even though they're still irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, the WNBA (and to a lesser extent, the NBA), is having an impact on the college game.  The girls are becoming more and more a "me" game than the "we" game it used to be.  They still are more fundamentally sound than the men, but the gap has closed to a point where I can't say they're "much better".

to me it’s just not an interesting product. There’s rarely a time where I see a girl make a move that I just go. Wow.

It’s very basic. It’s slow. And I think gun to their heads Iowa fans would tell you if she didn’t wear Iowa on her jersey they wouldn’t care. Season tickets are going to plummet next year because the rest of that team just isn’t fun to watch. 

As an Iowa State alum, we think it’s kind of funny, because for 25 years, we’ve been one of the top women’s programs as far as attendance, and now Iowa fans jump in when they finally have a unicorn and act like hard-core fans.

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

to me it’s just not an interesting product. There’s rarely a time where I see a girl make a move that I just go. Wow.

It’s very basic. It’s slow. And I think gun to their heads Iowa fans would tell you if she didn’t wear Iowa on her jersey they wouldn’t care. Season tickets are going to plummet next year because the rest of that team just isn’t fun to watch. 

As an Iowa State alum, we think it’s kind of funny, because for 25 years, we’ve been one of the top women’s programs as far as attendance, and now Iowa fans jump in when they finally have a unicorn and act like hard-core fans.

The Iowa women have had a pretty good following for a while now.  They were a great team even before Clark.  You'd have to go back 17 years before you see them win less than 19 games.  Actually, Iowa basketball in general has been pretty damn good.

Iowa Naismith winners & runner ups:

2019: Megan Gustafson (winner)

2020: Luka Garza (runner up)

2021: Luka Garza (winner)

2022: Keegan Murray (runner up)

2023: Caitlin Clark (winner)

2024: Caitlin Clark (winner)

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

2019: Megan Gustafson (winner)

Wade woulda paid her to play for Gophers ...

:wacko:

dafuq?