Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Who else doesn’t give 2 chits about the eclipse?

Totality here in Indy.  Gotta say, it was so much cooler than I expected.  Really impressed me.  Was super nice having my semi-skeptical too-cool-for-that son here and witnessing his awe.  I got a little misty.

• Like 2

Sonny Hostin on the view attempted to link the eclipse with climate change. Must have got by Hawkeye. 

• Haha 1

One of my friends at the gym had glasses and let me check it out, was okay here but not much better then what I saw on TV before I left for the gym.

It got sort of dark here in Philly for 30 mins. :mellow: 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

It will get darker if Kenny Pickett has to start a game.

• Haha 2

You got to be in the path of totality and get lucky with weather. Otherwise is just a little darker out. 

I did not expect it to be this cool, pics dont do it justice, and was just doing it to see the family and hang in Austin. 

2 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

I think it's cool, but then I think all things space and stuff are pretty cool. 

I does suck that today it's completely clear blue skies and we aren't in the path at all. Just went outside and it's maybe a teensy bit darker outside, but I see nothing. Supposed to see like really little shadows or something, but I don't see shiiite. 

The last eclipse we were in the path of here in CA, and it was cloudy as fock. I was out for a run and I'd forgotten about it, so when it started getting darker, I was like WTF?! And I actually looked up and kind of saw it since it was cloudy and my retinas didn't burn. 

Just seems that when we are in the path, we don't see anything...and when we aren't in the path, the sky is focking clear. 

I also. When we were kids, my best friends father, Dr. Purrington, was the head of Astronomy and the Physics Departments at Tulane. He would bring home this incredible big orange telescope and set it up for us in the the backyard and would explain what we’re looking at. We got to see so many amazing things in our galaxy. And he would always tell us when there was an event going to occur. Loved it. 

39 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Totality here in Indy.  Gotta say, it was so much cooler than I expected.  Really impressed me.  Was super nice having my semi-skeptical too-cool-for-that son here and witnessing his awe.  I got a little misty.

Indiana lucked out.  The forecast was pretty dicey calling for a cloudy day.   Texas got hit by rain storms. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

So, we've been told that the Sun is like 93 gajillion miles away from us. And that travels at 147 light years per mile.

Then, we have the moon, which allegedly is a gazillion knots per miles away from us too and travels I don't know, Mach75.

We're also told that space is vast and essentially eternal in scope. Meaning, these guys could each be on planes vastly away from each other.  But somehow, suddenly, huge coincidence that the Sun and the Moon just happened to be lined up right in front and back of each other.

...And we just happened to be lucky enough to watch this 'event'.

I'm calling shenanigans. 🧐

It's because the moon's orbit around Earth goes 5% one way and 5% back (over every just under 9 years) (not all over the place) so not as hard to believe based on that. That's what I heard or read yesterday, but if I got that wrong, someone look it up and let me know.

The Moon differs from most regular satellites of other planets in that its orbit is close to the ecliptic plane instead of to its primary's (in this case, Earth's) equatorial plane. The Moon's orbital plane is inclined by about 5.1° with respect to the ecliptic plane, whereas Earth's equatorial plane is tilted by about 23° with respect to the ecliptic plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon

The orientation of the orbit is not fixed in space but rotates over time. This orbital precession is called apsidal precession and is the rotation of the Moon's orbit within the orbital plane, i.e. the axes of the ellipse change direction. The lunar orbit's major axis – the longest diameter of the orbit, joining its nearest and farthest points, the perigee and apogee, respectively – makes one complete revolution every 8.85 Earth years

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Don't lie, it's always dark in Philly 

Like 99% in Detroit.  Has eclipse glasses.  Pretty damn cool.  Cant explain why, it just is.  Made me think about how much early humans must have flipped the fock out seeing something like this.  Didnt get to 100. Which is a bummer. 

Im a nerd for this stuff i guess.  Cause it was pretty cool

• Like 1

I saw it and it was super cool!!!

A meme! Run for your lives!

41 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Like 99% in Detroit.  Has eclipse glasses.  Pretty damn cool.  Cant explain why, it just is.  Made me think about how much early humans must have flipped the fock out seeing something like this.  Didnt get to 100. Which is a bummer. 

Im a nerd for this stuff i guess.  Cause it was pretty cool

Agree.  The world around us is awe striking if you step back and think about it.

5 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Agree.  The world around us is awe striking if you step back and think about it.

Agreed. 

16 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sonny Hostin on the view attempted to link the eclipse with climate change. Must have got by Hawkeye. 

Why are you bringing me up?

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Why are you bringing me up?

Just letting you know about a conspiracy theory close to the eclipse.  You said you hadn’t seen any, but had seen some weeks ago. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Just letting you know about a conspiracy theory close to the eclipse.  You said you hadn’t seen any, but had seen some weeks ago. 

I didn't see anyone talking about the world ending anymore.  I've been seeing plenty of people overanalyzing the pictures of it.  Showing different spots and crap and saying there is something suspicious about them.  Most of them are lens flares but people are stupid.  I also saw the video from The View.  She's a moron.