Sign in to follow this  
BeenHereBefore

What Do You Think Ruined The NBA ?

37 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

You probably are more of a Pickleball guy. 

I gots "swats", yo!

:banana:

16 hours ago, thegeneral said:

Seriously. These grandpas are just whining in here 😂

Any NBA playoff game that is close in the 4th quarter is good to watch.

A Knicks / Denver final would be great. I’d take Minnesota too.

Cs fan so hoping they get it done this year. I do like that the Knicks are off the mat, but they are not good enough yet. Denver, Minny, and OKC are all worthy. One of them v the Cs.

Drama.

All this drama over who goes where and which diva hates what diva.

Sure, all professional sports has drama, but it's just next level in the NBA.

Shut up and play.

8 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Cs fan so hoping they get it done this year. I do like that the Knicks are off the mat, but they are not good enough yet. Denver, Minny, and OKC are all worthy. One of them v the Cs.

Seattle fan so I can’t have the Thunder winning this thing :bitter:

Celtics Knicks and Denver OKC would be a great semis and set up a good finals.

without reading all the responses so far, for me it's the mindsets of the players. Perhaps there are specific things the league and Adam Silver have done to foster this culture or maybe it was always going to happen, but the player determined formation of super teams, how easily they give up when it doesn't work out right away, the constant trade demands and players forcing their way to the teams they want, etc.... coaching almost doesn't matter anymore. 

If a team wants to go out and trade assets for players and put together a core, that's fine. The KG/Pierce/Allen Celtics didn't bother me.  Lebron's decision and the Lebron/Wade/Bosh Heat did because they were all free agents deciding to form a powerhouse. Similarly, watching Durant blow a series lead against the Warriors and then go join them the following season.... The 90's and early 2000's for me as a fan still had rivalries with top stars wanting to beat each other. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, edjr said:

80s Celts/Lakers revived the NBA. Don’t forget that. Larry Bird could barely stand (back pain) by the time the Pistons beat them.

Fair point. Also, keep in mind that while they were putting Boston and LA out to pasture, they were also keeping the GOAT down as long as humanly possible. 

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

When they legalized the jump shot!

white guys can’t jump, makes sense

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herbivore said:

these are not

These are why I quit watching and I loved the NBA

As Ed said, the Celtics/Lakers rivalry was and is the greatest rivalry as they hated each others guts, but they also respected each other and the game. I’ll add the Bulls/Pistons/Knicks rivalry. The game isn’t nearly as great as it once was. Incredible games. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

LeBron 

Yeah, the most unlikable face of the NBA ever.  Kobe was the last beloved NBA star.  Curry was OK, but not much on the star personality.  LeBron is not likable. 

I've watched more NBA this last month than I've watched in the 10 years prior. The reason it sucked for me was the super teams. You know going into any given season which 5 or so teams have a shot. Everyone else is an also ran by December. 

Then the Wolves finally got good, so yay NBA! I will say that since the mid 90s, which was my basketball heyday, the overall game is funner to watch now. I understand it's because teams can't hand check anymore, but if it makes the game more entertaining, is that a bad thing? I'm not a basketball purist.

2 hours ago, Fnord said:

I've watched more NBA this last month than I've watched in the 10 years prior. The reason it sucked for me was the super teams. You know going into any given season which 5 or so teams have a shot. Everyone else is an also ran by December. 

Then the Wolves finally got good, so yay NBA! I will say that since the mid 90s, which was my basketball heyday, the overall game is funner to watch now. I understand it's because teams can't hand check anymore, but if it makes the game more entertaining, is that a bad thing? I'm not a basketball purist.

As a diehard purist that began watching in the 70’s as a preteen, on a tiny TV right before cable came about, on Saturday night they would show games at 11:00 🕚. I fell in love with it immediately as My Saints fawking sucked. And I gravitated to the NBA instantly. 
 Pistol Pete Maravich lived two blocks away. We, as would play horse with him. I had a great hook shot and almost beat him ONCE using it. Too bad he played on the Jazz in the Super Dome and they didn’t have a three point line then. He was one of the greatest players who understood how the game is played.

Larry Bird was the most intense players EVER. And incredible trash talker. Might be the only person from French Lick has ever produced.  

Magic Johnson was and is what the game is all about. Could play every position and knew the game, as Bird did, Amazing players.

Michael Jordan. Is without a Fawking doubt a legend above the three I mentioned. He was an absolute competitor and an areshole. There will never be another one like him. Amazing athlete and , determination, and a drive I have seen. No offense to the other, What a gift to and for the game.

5 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

As Ed said, the Celtics/Lakers rivalry was and is the greatest rivalry as they hated each others guts, but they also respected each other and the game. I’ll add the Bulls/Pistons/Knicks rivalry. The game isn’t nearly as great as it once was. Incredible games. 

They absolutely positively did NOT respect each other.  And thats fine by me.

10 hours ago, thegeneral said:

You probably are more of a Pickleball guy. 

Hey, let's leave our families out of this 😡

Take a moment to step away from the blurry YouTube vids of Magic Bird. There’s a game on. 

For me? This shiit:

https://images.app.goo.gl/TG2qAMpwVctF2z5f8

Every GD morning during the season ESPN or wherever is littered with this shiit. 

Im sorry, you accomplished a friggin layup that  Britney Griner would consider rudimentary.  What the F? 

And pragmatically? Look at all the racist caricatures of black athletes in the past;  Maybe don't give them credence, huh? 

I remember when Shaq  did a magazine cover that portrayed Shaq with "screaming gorilla face';

Libruhls lost their minds.

Turns out, that was Shaqs choice. 

Oops. 

Annoys me every flocking time. 

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

They absolutely positively did NOT respect each other.  And thats fine by me.

Go back and listen of how they feel about it today. Three incredible documentaries says it all.

The Last Dance (Bulls last year with Jordan, Pippen, and Phill)

Bird and Magic hated each other, but they had respect for each other. Look for the documentary on Netflix's about the Olympic Dream Team. That’s fawking respect at its best! For the game and each other. They had so much drive and the will to win that they were obsessed with winning and beating each other and the rest of the field. 

And one about the incredible play by play radio guys from the incredible past. Chick Hern and so many more. I went to the Radio Archive Museum in New York City. Spent an entire day whilst it was raining and listening to the AM archives all day. I highly recommend it. In fawking incredible. 

The announcers gushing over routine plays. Last night Lebron made a bounce pass to Hachimura from the free throw line to the front of the rim. I could make that pass. The announcer acted like only Lebron could make that play. The other thing I can't stand is the commercial breaks, the repeated stupid Google Pixel phone commercials and the Wing Stop terrible rap / Jenga commercial is so damn focking annoying. Otherwise, I like the NBA and the premise of this thread question is leading and not agreed to by me.

We talking about practice? 

7 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Go back and listen of how they feel about it today. Three incredible documentaries says it all.

The Last Dance (Bulls last year with Jordan, Pippen, and Phill)

Bird and Magic hated each other, but they had respect for each other. Look for the documentary on Netflix's about the Olympic Dream Team. That’s fawking respect at its best! For the game and each other. They had so much drive and the will to win that they were obsessed with winning and beating each other and the rest of the field. 

And one about the incredible play by play radio guys from the incredible past. Chick Hern and so many more. I went to the Radio Archive Museum in New York City. Spent an entire day whilst it was raining and listening to the AM archives all day. I highly recommend it. In fawking incredible. 

Saw the 30 for 30 on the lakers Celtics which was great. 

I didn't see a lot of respect 

4 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Saw the 30 for 30 on the lakers Celtics which was great. 

I didn't see a lot of respect 

They grew up and definitely do now