Sign in to follow this  
Vince44

When is the last time you went to church?

I had a gf about 15 years ago whose family was religious so I went with her a few times. Other then that, never. Unless it was for a wedding or a funeral.

Nice. It's been years since I went for anything other than a wedding or funeral. I was raised Catholic and my wife converted when we got married (she wasn't raised with a set religion). Had a good run for a while, raised all 3 kids through confirmation... but just lost the desire. Catholic mass can wear on you over time if you don't have an interesting priest.

Anyway, my wife and I are ~50 and beginning to see our mortality a little. I'd like to find a place like you describe above. My wife's aunt died 1.5 years ago and the people of the church were so... community.

And I agree with fandandy about the "walk in the woods" line. :cheers:

There are many out there, but I don't know of any progressive, contemporary Catholic churches. I'm no expert, but I think they are supposed to stick to a specific liturgy. That's not my thing. Plus, it's hard for me to justify supporting the Cathilic religion in the wake of all the priest abuse.

We went to a Lutheran church for awhile, but it was sorta like Catholic light.

Our current place is Methodist and it's a great fit for us. Good luck.

Usually attend weekly. I was ontbe road the last 2 Sundays though. So it's been a couple weeks. Not the norm.

I'm atheist, that being said, some of the nicest, most caring and truly good hearted people I've ever known were Christians and I will go out of my way to NOT disrespect them. A good example is when I go to Kentucky every year for Thanksgiving with my family, none of them know I am an atheist and every year I act just as excited as them on Sunday morning to go. Its about respect mane.

• Like 1

Be honest.

Would it kill you to take an hour on Sundays to worship the lord and savior?

Think about it.

It could...50/50 I'm still drunk from Saturday...don't want to take any chances, so I'll stay off the roads.

Be honest.

Would it kill you to take an hour on Sundays to worship the lord and savior?

Think about it.

Went to an Easter service a couple years ago. The sermon was interesting, with a good message.

It wouldn't kill me to go more often, but seeing as don't believe in the fundamentals of religion (i.e. the existence of god) there are better ways to spend my time. Probably the same reason you don't go to Buddhist temples, synagogue, etc.

Went to an Easter service a couple years ago. The sermon was interesting, with a good message.

It wouldn't kill me to go more often, but seeing as don't believe in the fundamentals of religion (i.e. the existence of god) there are better ways to spend my time. Probably the same reason you don't go to Buddhist temples, synagogue, etc.

Would the world be in a better place embracing the message in the sermon?

Pretty much daily. I look forward to it. I'm just not right without it for the rest of the day.

...oh wait, that's lunch.

Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

• Like 1

I'm really not sure if I have ever been to regular church. Weddings or funerals yes. I feel like I did go once or twice as a young lad but am really not sure.

My family isn't really religious at all. My Grampa is Catholic, but he didn't even start going regularly until he was retired and older. And he grew up in the old school Nun days and his parents were pretty strict Catholics.

Would it hurt me to go once in a while? No. But there are other ways I could improve as a person than going and sitting down for an hour each week listening to stuff I don't believe in. I'm not against church. But it will be interesting in 25 years where church even stands in America. I don't know anyone my age that goes regularly. I have a couple friends that go a handful of times a year.

I believe Jesus is who he said he was. That makes him Lord and Savior of my life. It also compels me to try to ascertain his will and follow it. The Bible talks a lot about assembling with other Christians and its significance. As such, I am and always will be part of a church.

Churches aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Some are downright dysfunctional. But, they were designed by God, I think, for our ultimate benefit and for his glory.

So. short answer...last Sunday morning.

• Like 3

Would the world be in a better place embracing the message in the sermon?

Most of the time, yes. But the same values can be derived elsewhere, minus the the mystical fluff.

Take me to church

I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies

I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife

Offer me that deathless death

Good God, let me give you my life

I was going to post this video. But the vibe in this thread is too wholesome

Examples?

The Golden Rule is the example usually given, though it probably derives from religious teaching. Google "secular morality" or "secular ethics" - all you really need is logic and empathy to be a good person.

The Golden Rule is the example usually given, though it probably derives from religious teaching. Google "secular morality" or "secular ethics" - all you really need is logic and empathy to be a good person.

Confucianism and some strains of bhuddism are examples of non diest moral codes.

Religion basically boils down to "don't be a d!ck." Don't really need a mythology and an institution for that.

Confucianism and some strains of bhuddism are examples of non diest moral codes.

Religion basically boils down to "don't be a d!ck." Don't really need a mythology and an institution for that.

It's really pretty simple. Amazing so many need an instruction book and fear of eternal suffering to do the right thing.

I think I was like 8 when I spent the night at a friends house and they went to church. Thought it was weird as . Still do.

Sunday morning. Pretty fresh visitor still. A Baptist church. The guy is an Orthodox Christian (huge difference for us to have) and when he visited we went to Orthodox services. I had gone to one on Saturday night (Vespers) a few weeks ago so I was already aware of how different it is. It's honestly a bit creepy. But he and I went to Vespers together, and then Sunday liturgy, and then a priest bought us lunch and I sat with the priest and a deacon, and thus learned the art of being pleasant while feeling a lot of visceral aversion.

funerals.

before that, my brothers confirmation. I was his sponsor...

before that, only when my mother forced me. I can read other storybooks without having to stand and sit and chant on command :dunno:

funerals.

before that, my brothers confirmation. I was his sponsor...

before that, only when my mother forced me. I can read other storybooks without having to stand and sit and chant on command :dunno:

I have attended worship services for 46 years and never have I chanted on command. What kind of church are you referring to?

I have attended worship services for 46 years and never have I chanted on command. What kind of church are you referring to?

Don't know about WW, but I've been to an evangelical church where there was a lot of hootin' and hollerin'. It was pretty disturbing.