Sign in to follow this  
Sandwiches blamed for Global Warming?

https://newatlas.com/sandwiches-global-warming/53128/

Scientists at the University of Manchester have found a surprising global warming culprit sandwiches. In the first study of its kind, the researchers carried out an in-depth audit of various sandwiches throughout their life cycles and found the triangular meals could be responsible for the equivalent annual carbon emissions of 8.6 million cars in Britain alone.

In 1762, or so the story goes, the fourth Earl of Sandwich rocked the culinary world when he couldn't be bothered to leave the gambling table to eat and ordered the servants to just stick some meat between two slices of bread for him. Since then, the modern sandwich has become one of the most popular of food formats.

According to the British Sandwich Association (BSA), the United Kingdom spends £8 billion (US$11.3 billion) annually on 11.5 billion sandwiches, with half made at home and the other half bought at shops, supermarkets, kiosks, and service stations. To better understand the environmental impact of all these sarnies, the Manchester team looked at over 40 different sandwich types, recipes, and combinations as well as how they are made, packaged, transported, and stored. In addition, they considered the waste produced in making them, as well as the stale, rotten, or simply outdated sandwiches that are thrown away.

What the researchers found was that not all sandwiches are created equal and that some varieties have larger carbon footprints than others. The highest footprint was found in premade, prepackaged, all-day-breakfast sandwiches. These contain eggs, bacon, and sausage and are kept packaged and refrigerated until sold and eaten all of which is estimated to add up to 1,441 g (3.18 lb) of carbon dioxide equivalent, or roughly the same as driving a car for 12 miles (19 km).

By contrast, the smallest footprint is that of a homemade ham and cheese sandwich. Overall, making your sandwiches at home potentially halves the carbon emissions compared to their prepackaged equivalents.

According to the team, a number of factors affect the sandwich's carbon footprint. Ingredients is one of them, with items like meat in general and pork in particular, cheese, prawns, lettuce, and tomatoes being particularly large footprint culprits. Producing these ingredients, as well as the bread and condiments, can account for 37 to 67 percent of the carbon dioxide produced. Other factors are the packaging, which makes up 8.5 percent of emissions, transportation (especially in refrigerated trucks) for 4 percent, and refrigeration at point of sale making up another 25 percent.

The Manchester researchers aren't anti-sandwich, but they do say that changing recipes and packaging while reducing waste could result in a 50 percent drop in sandwich-related carbon emissions. Along with the BSA, they claim that something as simple as reforming the sell-by-date system could save over 2,000 tonnes of sandwiches in Britain being wasted each year.

"We need to change the labeling of food to increase the use-by date as these are usually quite conservative," says team member Professor Adisa Azapagic. "Commercial sandwiches undergo rigorous shelf-life testing and are normally safe for consumption beyond the use-by date stated on the label."

The research was published in the Journal of Sustainable Production and Consumption.

The MMGW thing has officially jumped the shark. Well, maybe not, because the oceans are so filthy there may not be any sharks left.

I got a leaflet with my latest utility bill. It said that this winter is colder than average, and that's why the bills are higher.

Is my utility company a Global Warming denier?

They should do a study on humans, we exhale CO2 every 6 seconds. All the exercise freaks are even worse.

We keep your insurance premiums down, you're welcome

You want me to drive a car that gets good gas mileage. OK. You want me to use energy efficient light bulbs. OK. But leave my Sammichs out of this you tree hugging whiny bastards. :mad:

You can take all the egg sandwiches out of circulation if that helps - those are gross.

You want me to drive a car that gets good gas mileage. OK. You want me to use energy efficient light bulbs. OK. But leave my Sammichs out of this you tree hugging whiny bastards. :mad:

From my cold, dead hands...!!!!!!!

https://newatlas.com/sandwiches-global-warming/53128/

Scientists at the University of Manchester have found a surprising global warming culprit sandwiches. In the first study of its kind, the researchers carried out an in-depth audit of various sandwiches throughout their life cycles and found the triangular meals could be responsible for the equivalent annual carbon emissions of 8.6 million cars in Britain alone.

I'm safe. I cut them from side to side, not corner to corner. :wave:

They should do a study on humans, we exhale CO2 every 6 seconds. All the exercise freaks are even worse.

You only exhale every 6 seconds? :dunno:

Are you waiting to exhale?

Who sits around and thinks, "Let's do a study on the effect of sandwiches on global warming."

Who admits to it?

Pretty stupid. I mean, if we all quit eating sandwiches and switched to eating noodles, then noodles would be a greenhouse gas problem.

Meaning whatever food we eat created waste, transportation, etc.

Who sits around and thinks, "Let's do a study on the effect of sandwiches on global warming."

Scientists serve those who pay them.

I'm safe. I cut them from side to side, not corner to corner. :wave:

Funny, that's how I did it growing up. It was focked up the first time I saw a corner to corner cut. :lol:

On a different note, prawns? are we talking po-boys? New Orleans probably has 892743 bigger violators than throwing seafood on a sub. :dunno:

Funny, that's how I did it growing up. It was focked up the first time I saw a corner to corner cut. :lol:

On a different note, prawns? are we talking po-boys? New Orleans probably has 892743 bigger violators than throwing seafood on a sub. :dunno:

When I lived in NOLA, I lived on Roast Beef P0-Boys with gravy. That and Oyster Po-Boys. God I miss them.

Pretty stupid. I mean, if we all quit eating sandwiches and switched to eating noodles, then noodles would be a greenhouse gas problem.

Meaning whatever food we eat created waste, transportation, etc.

I'm not saying this study is anything but ridiculous, but the diet you eat has varied impact on the environment. They say veganism is much more eco (and CO2) friendly than meat-eating, for example,

I'm not saying this study is anything but ridiculous, but the diet you eat has varied impact on the environment. They say veganism is much more eco (and CO2) friendly than meat-eating, for example,

How about a nice Hawaiian Punch?

they say :lol:

And by they you mean tree hugging fruit bats

Nah, it makes sense if you think about it. Housing and feeding animals uses way more resources than dieting from the bottom of the food chain.

Nah, it makes sense if you think about it. Housing and feeding animals uses way more resources than dieting from the bottom of the food chain.

Soon we won't be able to eat fish because the Oceans are so filthy and polluted.

Yes but I dont believe in the negative effects of co2

Yes but I dont believe in the negative effects of co2

Even if you don't believe in the negative effects of CO2, it's not hard to understand the greater environmental consequences of eating meat.

Soon we won't be able to eat fish because the Oceans are so filthy and polluted.

I think overfishing is a bigger immediate threat than pollution, but they're both problems.

Even if you don't believe in the negative effects of CO2, it's not hard to understand the greater environmental consequences of eating meat.

You may have a point since eating meat has only been going on since like 1950 we have no way of seeing how the earth can adapt. 🍖🙄

Sure. I get that. Have to transport feed for the animals. More refrigeration. Plus the methane from cow farts.

Of course you plant eaters have pesticide and herbicide issues too.

Sure. I get that. Have to transport feed for the animals. More refrigeration. Plus the methane from cow farts.

Of course you plant eaters have pesticide and herbicide issues too.

And what do you you think the cows eat? Plants grown with those same -icides.

None of us can have zero environmental impact. But you can minimize it.

And what do you you think the cows eat? Plants grown with those same -icides.

None of us can have zero environmental impact. But you can minimize it.

Sure. My biggest contribution to the environmental cause is not breeding. Thats my effort for the team. :lol:

Sure. My biggest contribution to the environmental cause is not breeding. Thats my effort for the team. :lol:

Then you’ve fallen for the propaganda trying to trick whitey into extinction. But it is the greenest thing you can do.

Gimme a Diablo Samwich and a Dr. Pepper and make it fast, I'm in a gawd damn hurry.

I'm gonna stick my carbon footprint in yo asss