Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Cilantro, yay or nay?

Do you like cilantro?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Bier's chicken thread was interesting; it seems that people have very strong feelings either for or against cilantro. What say you? Personally I'm strong on the pro side; I love cilantro in many to most messican dishes. :cheers:

Bier's chicken thread was interesting; it seems that people have very strong feelings either for or against cilantro. What say you? Personally I'm strong on the pro side; I love cilantro in many to most messican dishes. :cheers:

:thumbsup:

it is the herb of hacks. It's not so much the herb itself, as the volume used by horrible kitchen hacks including and up to Taco Bell.

cilantro is the bacon of herbs. Used by hacks in excess to compensate for awful f****** food.

let's make this simple, shall we? If you are making posole that is cooked all day with cilantro in it, you don't need to quote garnish it with fresh cilantro which is a pungent and and unpalatable as fresh garlic.

Not a fan of cilantro... and it's in almost everything out here. :(

I like it in my very simple shrimp, avocado, tomato, red onion salad with fresh squeezed lemons in the summer. My guinea pig loves cilantro too so it's a win win here. :lol:

Love it on my mini tacos from the taco truck (street tacos for you Cali folk)

You cannot make a good homemade Salsa without Cilantro.

Jeebus Christ I sound like Rachel Ray !!

[ManUp] did you see the Red Sox beat the spankmees tonight !! [/ManUp]

Indeed it ruins everything it's in or on.

You have to chop it very finely and use a small amount, otherwise, yeah, it won't be good. In restaurants they put whole leaves in/on top of things and it kills the great flavor it really does have.

Indeed it ruins everything it's in or on.

You forgot to log out as wiffleball.

If they made cilantro flavored alcohol, Wiff would drink it

i have seen cilantro cocktails (also cilantro infused vodka)

i have seen cilantro cocktails (also cilantro infused vodka)

Sign me up !!

Sign me up !!

pre child, i used to go out a bit. i like all types of bars. when they built pac bell many new restaurants and bars started popping up around the park. we had season tix. wife worked about 10-15 from the stadium. a place we went to often was called "Infusion." they made their own infused vodkas and frequently rotated them. everything from chili, fruity, herb, etc. happy hour was something like $3 martinis. i really liked that place.

went to the game last night. my mother watched our daughter. it has been probably close to 15 years that we went to pac bell/at&t together.... infusion, unfortunately no longer exists and hard to find a reasonable happy hour down there these days.

You have to chop it very finely and use a small amount, otherwise, yeah, it won't be good. In restaurants they put whole leaves in/on top of things and it kills the great flavor it really does have.

Yes...good when just a hint is used.

It makes my cheeks hot but it's worth it.

Never cared, likely couldn't tell what it tastes like. I'm sure I've had it, but it was just one of the ingredients.

FWIW,Sam's Club sells a salsa in the deli section that is delicious if you don't have time to make homemade.The one with cilantro is :wub:

I'm pro but I only eat and use it when it makes sense. I'm currently hooked on the guac recipe from Chipotle and make it on the weekends.

It makes my cheeks hot but it's worth it.

:wub:

it is the herb of hacks. It's not so much the herb itself, as the volume used by horrible kitchen hacks including and up to Taco Bell.

cilantro is the bacon of herbs. Used by hacks in excess to compensate for awful f****** food.

Ergo it is the bacon of hacks? :dunno:

Sure I like it just fine in salsa and Mexican food. I don't encounter it all that much here in the Northeast.

meh... he is just fishing. cilantro is quite appropriate in many mexican and asian dishes. unlike bacon's resurgence, we really do not see it all over the place. bacon was a reaction to the healthy eating trend that was going on for a while. chefs were playing rebel and taunting and defying the masses. it is easy to overuse it as it is high in fat/flavor. wiff doesn't like cilantro and is more sensitive to it...it likely stands out to him (and other who do not like it) more than most people.

There is always some trendy food item that appears in everything. For a while it was sun dried tomatoes. Mango had its day in the sun. Now it's bacon.

There is always some trendy food item that appears in everything. For a while it was sun dried tomatoes. Mango had its day in the sun. Now it's bacon.

Bacon is soo yesterday.

Now its Quinuoa.

Whatever the Fock that is.

Bacon is soo yesterday.

Now its Quinuoa.

Whatever the Fock that is.

Quinona is some sort of a. Grain, similar to couscous.

Kale seems to finally be losing steam as the food health nuts fap to.

yes. quinoa, cous cous, and farro are grains that emerged about 5-10 years ago. they used to be used as sides, but you see more salads with them on menus

yes. quinoa, cous cous, and farro are grains that emerged about 5-10 years ago. they used to be used as sides, but you see more salads with them on menus

I remember my mom served cous cous when I was a kid, maybe 1992. My dad tried it and promptly said "wtf is this sh!t"

they have all been around, they just became more prevalent alternatives to rice and potatoes as sides