Sign in to follow this  
montana

Rant - Why is it virtually impossible to trade in my league?!?

People have to realize that you have to give to get.

I make fairly reasonable offers & not a one ever goes through. And to make matters worse, they're usually counter offered with ridiculous trades.

Example:

I offer RB Hill for his RB West.

He owns Gio, I own Crowell. We both get insurance (i even added this to the trade proposed). Him maybe more than me as Tate is due back in Cleveland. I think this is a VERY reasonable trade. Yes?

Not only does he reject, he sends this b.s. counter -

He gives me RB Blount & PK Dawson for my RB Hill & WR Wheaton.....and says "West is a good RB & only going to get better". :wall:

WTF is wrong with focks? It absolutely drives me focking crazy. They always overvalue their players & undervalue mine and you can't reason with the stupid azzes. So flipping irrational & irritating!

Rant over

Typically it's people you try trading with don't want to sell low and people trying to trade with you are trying to sell high.

In my money league I have Manny Sanders, Cobb and A.J. with Ellington, Stacy and Asiata as my RBs. Guy sends me offer of Gerhart and Decker for Manny Sanders. "You need a solid RB man and Decker is awesome.......remember what he did with Peyton!" I just replied "Nice try" and he shot back "Did you accept it?" lulz; just lulz.

It seems like trading is pretty tough in my league as well. I guess what I hate the most is sending out an offer and the other person just leaves the trade up

there forever with no response. Another thing that annoys me is when I send out an offer I do like to explain my side of things and I ask them what they think. 90% of the time it's a rejection with no type of response. How about at least telling me "Hey, idiot, that trade is terrible, I don't want to do that!" I would honestly love a response like that more than a rejection without any response. Open communication I think is key in trading, but most just hit that rejection button and that's that.

It is exactly the same in my league. I never get to do a trade and rarely get a response back. I kind of gave up trying, though there is always a glimmer of hope that one will go through.

I'm offering cutler for L bell , guy has brady and rg3. He's pretty stacked at rb. I'll give him kelce too if that will do it. I need a focking rb

I used to trade a lot. The key is to offer trades that improve the other team. Most people don't seem to understand that, and are only thinking about improving their own team.

If a trade isn't actually going to improve someone's team, why would they bother with it? What incentive is there? To get a handcuff RB? What if they don't think that handcuff is worth it, and they're happier with what they do have?

The most likely trades are trading one overperforming backup to another team for their overperforming backup at a different position.

Trading is really difficult as everybody, including you and me, always overvalue the players on their team. That's the main hurdle. I've almost given up even trying. The Brandin Cooks owner, in his mind, thinks he's the next AJ Green. And he might, but "might" don't pay the bills.

So normally you'll have two owners both over valueing their own players trying to make a deal. That's hard to do.

I used to trade a lot. The key is to offer trades that improve the other team. Most people don't seem to understand that, and are only thinking about improving their own team.

If a trade isn't actually going to improve someone's team, why would they bother with it? What incentive is there? To get a handcuff RB? What if they don't think that handcuff is worth it, and they're happier with what they do have?

The most likely trades are trading one overperforming backup to another team for their overperforming backup at a different position.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. But even in offering needs to another team it usually gets rejected without any type of response. I had a guy make a league post asking for a certain position he needed, so I sent him an offer of that said position. Offer stayed up for 3 or 4 days and finally it got rejected with no response. So why even make the post to begin with if you're not even going to acknowledge the offer?

Someone else mentioned we over value our own players. I think that's true. A lot of it is thinking, you, yourself just built a nice looking team and you got those studs and sleepers and it's tough to part with them knowing that you built it. Might be too much heart and not enough brain when it comes to that.

At least in my league having Thursday games gives you a shorter window of opportunity to trade because u can only trade between 9am EST Tuesday until right before kickoff Thursday because lineups lock on cbssports.

I make fairly reasonable offers & not a one ever goes through. And to make matters worse, they're usually counter offered with ridiculous trades.

Example:

He owns Gio, I own Crowell. We both get insurance (i even added this to the trade proposed). Him maybe more than me as Tate is due back in Cleveland. I think this is a VERY reasonable trade. Yes?

He gives me RB Blount & PK Dawson for my RB Hill & WR Wheaton.....and says "West is a good RB & only going to get better". :wall:

WTF is wrong with focks? It absolutely drives me focking crazy. They always overvalue their players & undervalue mine and you can't reason with the stupid azzes. So flipping irrational & irritating!

Rant over

I think you are much better of with Hill and Crowell . So I would thank him

Would you drop ertz for ebron in a 1 point PPR where you start 1 TE but must carry 2 TE on your roster? Probably not a good idea ? Is it a big gamble if you have Kelce as your starter anyways?

Agreed. Only in this case he asked me if Hill was on the block. He inquired, I offered.

I guess his real question should have been "can I have Hill for a kicker?".

I've found that there's basically two types of owners out there, those who try and 'win' every trade and those who are reasonable to deal with. Concentrate on the latter and write off the former, you'll be much happier in the long run.

guys in my league ###### nobody tries to trade with them, then dont respond when you send them offers.

then I get something like I offer Asiata for Delanie Walker, his response dude Asiata sucks, thats fine

same guy 2 days later questions why I always make trades with the same guy, saying you and him should be banned from dealing to each other

We swapped Asiata for SSmith

Earlier this year (after week 1) I offered Martin, FJax and Floyd for Julio and R.Bush, and everyone called rape, well after some deep negotiations again this week I traded Decker and Taliaferro for FJax and A.Robinson, and everyone is crying rape again, saying cant believe I got FJax for nothing.

when mentioned earlier that FJax and Martin gave him huge upgrades at RB over Bush and MJD (Rice) they said FJax had no value.

there have been 3 trades in my 12 team league, and all 3 are between me and another guy.

guys turn down stuff like Demaryius and Foles for Charles (before this week) when he is starting Brady, without even a counter

A guy in my dynasty league wanted 3 first rounders for AJ Green :lol:

Another guy wanted a first rounder for Taliaferro :doh:

A guy in my dynasty league wanted 3 first rounders for AJ Green :lol:

Another guy wanted a first rounder for Taliaferro :doh:

3 first round picks is fair price for Aj green. In one dynasty I offered 2 firsts and 2 seconds for aj green and I was rejected.

Example:

Rant over

I don't think people have the same idea of value. If I was you I would counter with a trade for Blount and someone you are ready to cut and if he takes it then deal Blount to the LBell owner. For instance, Wheaton for Blount doesn't sound that crazy to me. If people put a player up it means they want to ship that player, take that counter and do something with it. He's not interested in moving West.

I try to trade for players when they are on bye, when they are injured, when they have just had the worst 1-2 weeks of their season. I sometimes trade players after they have had their best game of the season. If everyone sees a Kelce or Eli have huge games on national tv they will never be in greater demand.

I also notice that people are often not interested in trading "junk" or prospects. I don't know why that is. I love it.

I think trades for guys like Reed, Tate, injured players, and young players like Crowell, Taliaferro, Asiata and McKinnon are really interesting, that's what FF should be about. One guy thinks Asiata will rule for the rest of the year, another guy thinks McKinnon will rule. What if I offer you Asiata for McKinnon?

Is anyone trading for a Lacy or McCoy or Ball right now? Take a chance.

I think a Hill for West trade is really interesting. If I was that other owner I would jump at that because West IMO is on his way down. Hill may be on his way up (and Gio may be a trade high). But the other owner you are dealing with is probably looking at West's past and thinks that will continue based on talent and a fragile Tate while Hill is stuck behind Gio. I applaud you for being interested in actually looking at where players are going, good luck.

Man, im glad im not the only one....Ive been in a league with the same guys for about 13 years. By now i know there's only about 2 guys besides myself that will even consider a trade. Its so frustrating. Thought about bailing to another league many times but its a group of friends. Trading is a big part of the fun for me. Now with all the rankings/ fantasy advice/ yahoo trade evaluator/ projected points/ etc its even more impossible to get a trade accepted.

Ive resorted to conditional trades (throw in a draft pick for the following year, based on how much better/worse the players perform for the rest of the year). ive found thats a good way to calm people's fears of getting ripped off. But anyway, im running out of ideas.

The only way trades happen in my league is when both teams are dealing from strength to improve weakness. If I have four really good RBs and my lineup only allows 3 maximum using the flex, I'm going to try to trade one of them to a guy who has strong WRs or a really good backup QB but lacks good RBs. I want to improve my team without losing a starter. I would imagine everyone else feels the same way. If you are trying to pry away a starter, even if it is their RB3 or WR3, you had better be prepared for them to try to screw you.

Also guys are going to be more attached to players that they drafted, and players that have done well for them before. And guys that are winning are going to be hesitant to make any moves at all. Usually around week 6 people start to worry about missing playoffs and give up on guys they drafted, and will be more willing to deal.

So you have to target the guys in your league who have the balls to make a trade, who are 1-3 or 0-4, who have something that can help you out, and you have something they need/want, and you are able to overpay for, yahoo trade evaluator aproves of, with a player that person is partial to, and catch them at just the right time. Basically the stars have to align perfectly and there's a very small window of opportunity if any. And after all that you've got about a 50% chance of the trade working out in your favor.

my philosophy is If you can figure out a trade that helps you both out, do it. Then if you can do that 9 different times with every team in the league, you will have helped everyone else once and yourself 9 times. (easier said than done), but thats why i keep trying.

3 first round picks is fair price for Aj green. In one dynasty I offered 2 firsts and 2 seconds for aj green and I was rejected.

Agree to disagree then. I couldn't mortgage my entire future for a WR. No matter how good he is. He's not gonna win you games by himself. If I had AJ Green I would take 3 first rounders for him in a heartbeat. I'd more then likely accept the trade you offered as well.

There hasn't been a trade in my league for over 3 years. Not for my lack of trying. I have chalked this up to it being a boring 10 team re-draft league where most people fall in love with their rosters on draft night, and during season know that there is plenty to be found on ww. I have found that in my other deeper 12 team dynasty league, there are far more trade offers and less ww activity. 0-4 and 1-3 teams looking ahead a year or 2, but these are also much more savvy owners.

Everyone wants something for nothing. They only want to trade bench players for starters. They dont want realize you have to give up something to get something.

We usually have 1 or 2 blockbusters but it seems this season the teams are so even it's hard to do the 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 where you trade a top 20 RB for two good players where you need help.

Basically no one has 3/4 stud RB's so you can't do a RB for WR and TE help as an example.

Trading in my league is tough because I'm a 4-0 team and nobody wants to help and make me better. If I were to trade, I would have to give up a lot of value for a lesser offer, I'm not going to ever get fair value.

Nobody trades in my league either. Even when I offer lopsided trades in their favor with positions they desperately need.

Reason: people are scared of being wrong.

• Like 1

Agree to disagree then. I couldn't mortgage my entire future for a WR. No matter how good he is. He's not gonna win you games by himself. If I had AJ Green I would take 3 first rounders for him in a heartbeat. I'd more then likely accept the trade you offered as well.

This quote and this thread show why trading is so hard. I bet if you actually had AJ Green you wouldn't wouldn't think of moving him for "only" 3 first rounders. But you don't really know because you aren't in that position. Personally I think 3 is a fair price.

There are so many offers in this thread that people make sound like slam dunks but when I look at them I think no way. Everyone has a different view on value.

Im going to disagree with your agree to disagree...

I wish i could get AJ for three first rounders. Of course I trade my picks as soon as some sucker offers something for them. See, I figure if NFL owners can only draft at 50% how am I going to do any better, so I would much rather trade the two in the bush for the one in the hand...

of course I keep my 3/4 round picks so I can grab guys like hurns who I figure is worth the same amount as lee or robinson and goes two rounds later...

as to trades, you probably are offering bullshit trades. No one wants to trade for bullshit. Ask your self would I make this trade if I were him, most likely you wouldn't...

jdon

I've found that there's basically two types of owners out there, those who try and 'win' every trade and those who are reasonable to deal with. Concentrate on the latter and write off the former, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Agree, but I'd add a third type of owner, one who will never chance a trade because they are scared to "lose" the trade. About half of the owners in my current league have either never traded or have have done one or two meaningless kicker-for-kicker swaps in the last five years. :dunno:

I'm offering cutler for L bell , guy has brady and rg3. He's pretty stacked at rb. I'll give him kelce too if that will do it. I need a focking rb

You think Cutler for a top 5 RB is a good trade? If that is your idea of a fair trade then I'll say that is evidence #1 why your trades get rejected.

• Like 1

You think Cutler for a top 5 RB is a good trade? If that is your idea of a fair trade then I'll say that is evidence #1 why your trades get rejected.

I think his issue is that nobody puts their best trade offer forward first out of the gate. Trades COULD happen if other owners made a counter offer instead of a flat out rejection.

Trade offer - Counter. Perhaps the counter gets accepted, or perhaps the original offer is improved.

I think it's stupid some owners won't even consider a trade, I would consider any proposal that came my way, if it was total garbage, I'd send a message pointing out why this isn't equal value. A blanket rejection doesn't do anything.

Agreed, but I always offer win win trades and they still don't happen.

After Week 1 I needed a stud RB and was stacked at WR. Found a guy with the opposite problem and offered Julio for Ball. The Yahoo evaluator said it was a small improvement for me and a huge one for him. Win win, with him the bigger winner.

Not only did he not take it, he never responded and it elapsed.

Obviously I'm happy in hindsight that he didn't take it, but c'mon man, at least respond.

In our standard 12 team league, the same 4-5 people do all the trading. Each week so far trades have happened and they may trade 3 for 3. The main trader should be a used car salesman. The only players that he trades are cheap WW pick ups that get dropped by others, then combos with other players for higher value future trade. His trading so far has be brilliant for his team to say the least. Offering someone depth like 2RB for 1WR and a scrub, then dropping scrub for next hot FA to trade following week. His current roster is stacked with favorites, but at least I beat him in week one with basically nothing. :overhead:

I'm curious if your current trade ever goes through. I have West and was going to offer him to the guy who has Crowell, for Hill. He drafted Ben Tate and dropped him a week ago. I don't have Gio, but Brown's backfield is confusing to me. Some sources list West as back up, but project Crowell higher due to Red zone performance? IDK, Browns are very clear to say Tate is going to be the guy, and the big trader in our league picked him up. He has tried to combo trade him to me. I have some WR's that he has offered players in past for. I have Sanders/Cobb/Williams and wouldn't trade any of them straight up for Tate. Then Tate goes down who goes in? The whole thing could be best solved if you and I were in same league...I'd take your offer of Hill for West, plus be pretty happy if I already had Gio.

I think his issue is that nobody puts their best trade offer forward first out of the gate. Trades COULD happen if other owners made a counter offer instead of a flat out rejection.

Trade offer - Counter. Perhaps the counter gets accepted, or perhaps the original offer is improved.

I think it's stupid some owners won't even consider a trade, I would consider any proposal that came my way, if it was total garbage, I'd send a message pointing out why this isn't equal value. A blanket rejection doesn't do anything.

When someone approaches me with an offer that lopsided I don't continue the conversation. It is very obvious they are the type of trader that is only in it for themselves. There are guys that understand it needs to be a win-win on both sides. Someone throwing out a ridiculous offer is just hoping you aren't paying attention.

When someone approaches me with an offer that lopsided I don't continue the conversation. It is very obvious they are the type of trader that is only in it for themselves. There are guys that understand it needs to be a win-win on both sides. Someone throwing out a ridiculous offer is just hoping you aren't paying attention.

I try to throw out an initial offer that is reasonable.

I think your logic is flawed in that every person trading is "in it for themselves", any trade is done with the perception that it benefits me more than it benefits you.

What does it hurt to propose a counter offer?

You don't reply you've just shut down any opportunity you might have had to improve your situation. Let's say someone offered my Kirk Cousins for Peyton Manning, of course I'm going to reject it, but I might also reply with something like "I'm not looking to move this player but I will consider an offer for player XYZ". You're telling me your entire roster is set in stone, and you wouldn't consider any trade offer?

I think a lot of teams who are 4-0 or 3-1 lack an incentive to trade. "My team is doing fine, why would I trade for a handcuff, or make a change that would potentially hurt me." AKA afraid to make a move so they hold pat, even when the offer clearly benefits both parties.

I am always looking to improve my team, but here is only so much you can do with the WW. Sometimes you have to make a trade to cover a hole in your lineup. I would guess the teams with 2-2 or worse records might be more willing to shake things up a bit as well.

Typically I've noticed that bye weeks can generate trade talks, but with a week when only the Raiders and Dolphins are on byes, hard to find anyone desperately looking to trade and play and plug in for L.Miller or M.Wallace.