Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Biggest Regret

I didn't try to attend a more prestigious school after I got out of the Army. With my SAT/ACT scores, college grades, and war veteran status, I likely could have gotten in some highly selective ones. At the time, the price tags scared me away since they were higher than my GI Bill and I missed home wanted to return to Detroit really badly.

Nearly every decision since I was twelve.

This. Most of them anyway.

Going to law school

Working with my psycho father

Marrying the ex

And a million things I DIDN'T do. If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably have gone to undergrad in the states, and then gone to grad school in history and a language abroad. Become a history professor. See the world when I was young. Write more. That sort of thing.

Fell in love. Lost my dream of being a writer. Followed the footsteps of a nobleman. Became an alcoholic that loves life to the point it killed me. I never got to live my life the way I wanted too.

That's life.

Didnt stick with journalism as my major or career....didnt go on to play D1 basketball after juco.

Dont dwell on them but definitely missed some good opportunities

Didnt stick with journalism as my major or career....

You didn't miss much. :mellow:

You didn't miss much. :mellow:

Ha...crap. Sports journalism would have been fun...access to players, games, etc...pretty slovenly group though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I should've stayed in the military. I would've retired 6 years ago :mad:

Are we aging so much we have a thread about regerts?

We should have a chain letter to keep track of peeps so we know if we lose any

I allowed the perfect woman to slip through my hands by not being more aggressive.

First thing to mind: not moving to San Jose and getting into VC investing after getting my MBA in 1994. Tech killed it that decade and I'm very analytical, I could have been a bazillionaire beyond normal Geek Club levels. But... I had just gotten married, we were starting a family... I think the path I chose was maybe better from the family perspective, but there is always a question.

Ha...crap. Sports journalism would have been fun...access to players, games, etc...pretty slovenly group though.

Journalism has been destroyed by the Internet.

For real I have a lot of regrets:

Being a journalism major instead of doing something with more long term potential. I make a very good salary and have done well but I'm facing the possibility of layoffs in my firm and may have to change fields to move ahead.

Not really applying myself to my career sooner / spending my 20s as an alchy / druggie wastrel.

Should have tried moving out of the northeast in my younger years, just for a new experience.

Few women I don't regret not ending up with but didn't treat right. I would apologize if it wasn't so far in my past.

Took me a long time to develop confidence and feel comfortable in my own skin. I would tell my younger self to focus on myself and my goals and worry less about the small sh1t.

It all turned out good for me mostly due to luck but I really didn't have a mentor growing up and floundered in life a lot. I actually think this is all pretty common. I feel like my boy is my second chance to get it right in some ways.

• Like 1

The one that gives me nightmares to this day is selling my magic(mtg) cards. I sold them for thousands, but now they would be in the mid to upper 5 figures.

Although if I still owned them I would sell them to upgrade my boat.

I should have ordered the soup. :doh:

The one that gives me nightmares to this day is selling my magic(mtg) cards. I sold them for thousands, but now they would be in the mid to upper 5 figures.

Although if I still owned them I would sell them to upgrade my boat.

I started playing around the release of revised and saw how awesome duel lands where I probably had 40-50 at one point. I bought them up at $3-$5 along with Ancestral Recall and Time Walk.

I still have a bunch but I sold anything worth money many many moons ago to pay rent. I think I got like $1k for the everything :cry:

First thing to mind: not moving to San Jose and getting into VC investing after getting my MBA in 1994. Tech killed it that decade and I'm very analytical, I could have been a bazillionaire beyond normal Geek Club levels. But... I had just gotten married, we were starting a family... I think the path I chose was maybe better from the family perspective, but there is always a question.

OK, my real answer is that I didn't swing at that curveball back in the college baseball game.

Back story:

I played BB in HS; good but not great. Got into MIT and decided to go. I got a card asking to fill out what sports I played or was interested in; I didn't send it in because I was cool/athletic and MIT was a bunch of dorks, right? I arrived and found out there were a bunch of guys like me; overachiever competitive types who were never going to make a career out of a sport so they went to MIT. Unfortunately at this point, I wasn't on the BB team fall semester (which was basically the tryout/practice league), so I joined for the spring (the real league). Now, we weren't exactly a major conference but we were in the Greater Boston League, which played several schools which put players into MLB.

That spring the coaches were impressed with how quickly I picked up the game; for the life of me I could never convince them that I had played for years. :wall: Regardless, I saw little to no field time that semester as it was the "real" season.

That summer I worked out harder than I ever have. I arrived for the fall as a buff baseball machine, and the coaches had me slated to start. But I severely pulled a muscle playing frisbee football, and I never shut down, so I spent much of the semester playing at less than 100% physical capacity, and ended up not starting as a result.

We were at a game and down 5-0 late; coach put me in to get some PT. I got an inside fastball which I turned on and crushed to left field; unfortunately I didn't get under it enough and the LF caught it at the warning track. This seemed to ignite our team though, which went on to score 5 that inning and tie the game.

I led off in the 9th, and thought to myself "self, you just turned on an inside fastball, he is going to start you with a curve, look for a curve." So I did. The pitcher proceeded to throw the most softball, please-crush-me, over-the-plate curve in the history of ever. And I... watched it. :cry: To this day I have no idea why. I can still see that pitch in my head. Had I just unleashed my fury on that focking pitch, I may have won the game for us. Or not, but I'll never know. I watched it instead. :wall: I was so flustered that I grounded out on the next pitch. Instead of winning the game and working into the starting rotation, I was relegated to the bench.

If anyone has read this rant, I appreciate your patience and boredom. :cheers:

Denouement: I had financial struggles with tuition that year and chose to work more in the spring instead of playing baseball. In hindsight, I could have made it work, but my mind just wasn't in it as the fall season ended, so I took the easy way out. :(

Denouement: I had financial struggles with tuition that year and chose to work more in the spring instead of playing baseball. In hindsight, I could have made it work, but my mind just wasn't in it as the fall season ended, so I took the easy way out. :(

Could've been a DBack. Instead you're just a DBag. :(

:cheers:

Journalism has been destroyed by the Internet.

For real I have a lot of regrets:

Being a journalism major instead of doing something with more long term potential. I make a very good salary and have done well but I'm facing the possibility of layoffs in my firm and may have to change fields to move ahead.

Not really applying myself to my career sooner / spending my 20s as an alchy / druggie wastrel.

Should have tried moving out of the northeast in my younger years, just for a new experience.

Few women I don't regret not ending up with but didn't treat right. I would apologize if it wasn't so far in my past.

Took me a long time to develop confidence and feel comfortable in my own skin. I would tell my younger self to focus on myself and my goals and worry less about the small sh1t.

It all turned out good for me mostly due to luck but I really didn't have a mentor growing up and floundered in life a lot. I actually think this is all pretty common. I feel like my boy is my second chance to get it right in some ways.

Nice. Feel the same way. Just wish my dad who did as good as he could would have pulled me aside more and taught more.

But...i do that with my daughter so...not all bad.

Journalism was fine back in 92 when i graduated HS....couldnt have forseen back then

Nice. Feel the same way. Just wish my dad who did as good as he could would have pulled me aside more and taught more.

But...i do that with my daughter so...not all bad.

Journalism was fine back in 92 when i graduated HS....couldnt have forseen back then

My first job was editorial assistant for a now defunct magazine publisher. They paid me $22k/year and only cause I negotiated up from their offer of $20k. :lol: I got a ton of experience but after five years I saw where print publishing was headed and moved into marketing. I'm looking for the next chapter now.

My dad was hugely successful in business and set a great example. He was also a hardworking immigrant and a quiet guy, and even today I have almost no real relationship with him. It would have been nice to get more direction but in the scheme of things I hit the parent lottery and everything worked out well. I'm not one of those people who worry about te road less taken etc. cheers my man. :cheers:

Are we aging so much we have a thread about regerts?

We should have a chain letter to keep track of peeps so we know if we lose any

Sh!t. I had regrets at age fifteen. You don't gotta be old to know when you focked up. Although they are piling up more as the years roll by.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I should've stayed in the military. I would've retired 6 years ago :mad:

How about driving that one night ?

Regret ?

Certain things I think I regret then start thinking along the lines of 'It's a Wonderful Life' and realize if I could go back in time, I should change only a few if any thing.