Sign in to follow this  
hotgumbo1

Why is Odell Beckham...?

Getting so much love on this website? He is ranked as the top receiver to take. With Eli's inconsistency and another year for defenses to scheme, why so high on this guy?

I don't get it either. He's not my number 1. Though, I do have him in my top 5.

Because he had one of the most amazing seasons ever, while being a rookie, after missing all of camp, and missing a chunk of the season. Plus he made Revis look average this last game. I dont see any reason he shouldnt be ranked #1 if you dont believe last year was a fluke.

Becasue everyone needs a reason to reach for the miracle season repeat that pretty much never happens and always ends up in a wasted early pick.

• Like 1

Because he was the number 2 WR since starting in week 5 of 2014...a lot of people buying the hype.

People are taking him over D. Thomas. Any seen D. Thomas's number since week 5 too?

...Plus he made Revis look average this last game.

From what I saw - it was Beckham who looked average. Revis held him to a dink and dunk 31 yards, 6 yards per catch. I'd say Revis got the best of him.

From what I saw - it was Beckham who looked average. Revis held him to a dink and dunk 31 yards, 6 yards per catch. I'd say Revis got the best of him.

When Beckham stopped on a dime and caught that pass barely out of bounds with one hand, that was the move of a veteran. It looked like Beckham was floating in the air and basically one hand caught the ball. Then he trucked Revis who tried to take Beckham straight on. Trust me, he mase the best CB in the game look average. And this is only Beckhams second year.

• Like 1

When Beckham stopped on a dime and caught that pass barely out of bounds with one hand, that was the move of a veteran.

I agree on one part, it definitely looked like the move of a veteran - a veteran, all world corner back. Revis is not only physically gifted but he's also smart. He used that sideline as an extra defender - and guess, what, it worked.

I agree on one part, it definitely looked like the move of a veteran - a veteran, all world corner back. Revis is not only physically gifted but he's also smart. He used that sideline as an extra defender - and guess, what, it worked.

Did you even watch the play? He ran right by Beckham and was turning as he caught the ball. Hey its no skin off my back if you dont realize who won the battle. Im not saying Odell should be ranked 1, i am just saying there are legit reasons he can be ranked 1 by those who believe in him. And Revis still got trucked by Beckham.

• Like 1

Did you even watch the play? He ran right by Beckham and was turning as he caught the ball. Hey its no skin off my back if you dont realize who won the battle.

I did.. And ditto - if you can't see it, cool.

I guess one could make the redsrback-ian observation that Odell "doubled" his preseaon production against Revis, giving Odell the last word here. ;)

I would rather have Brown as the #1 WR but ODB has the talent and situation. The NYG D should be horrible and some shout outs. The NFC lacks quality CBs to match up against ODB so you have to like his schedule. Add in games against ATL, TB, NO, NE, CAR and MIN. Those are all teams that ODB can light up.

Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dez Bryant & Alshon Jefferey all ranked ahead of him.

This is fair. Also the first time iv seen Jeffrey ranked ahead of him wich I dont think is far fetched in the slightest.

I wouldnt rank Jeffery ahead of him. He still isnt healthy and the Bears as a whole look brutal. I am really iffy on Jeffery this year. I think he is a near elite talent, but something about the Bears lack of ability to put up stats even when trailing is worrisome. He wasnt all that great last year because of an early injury that slowed him right out of the gate. I would still take Jeffery on my team, but over ODB no way.

• Like 1

So we agree that Beckham got the better of Revis. Good.

No - but keep fishing. I hear they're biting upstream.

I would rather have Brown as the #1 WR but ODB has the talent and situation. The NYG D should be horrible and some shout outs. The NFC lacks quality CBs to match up against ODB so you have to like his schedule. Add in games against ATL, TB, NO, NE, CAR and MIN. Those are all teams that ODB can light up.

This is a good point. Wash, Phl, Min, NO and Atl defenses don't scare anyone. TB defense will come on as the season goes along. That Kwon Alexander at the Mike spot is SICK!!!!!

NFL is going to be checking for overuse of stickum this year.

Look for O'dell to fall off

It should be noted that over in the Rankings & Projections wing of the FFToday complex, Odell is projected for 13 TDs and 224 pts, AJ for 9 TDs and 189 pts and Alshon for 9 TDs and 167 pts. Those are some significant dropoffs.

It should be noted that over in the Rankings & Projections wing of the FFToday complex, Odell is projected for 13 TDs and 224 pts, AJ for 9 TDs and 189 pts and Alshon for 9 TDs and 167 pts. Those are some significant dropoffs.

I do my projections a little bit differently.

• Like 1

If Eli could actually throw a pass properly, OBJ wouldn't have to make one handed circus catches.

I have him ranked 7th right now , i don't want to over or under rank him .

NFL is going to be checking for overuse of stickum this year.

Look for O'dell to fall off

If you look closely - and you didn't - ObiWan caught that ball with three fingers. No stickum on Earth would have made a difference. His hands are why he caught that ball, and he does it regularly in practice and warm ups.

Count me in the camp that says that you don't easily 'scheme' for such a talent.

ObiWan caught that ball with three fingers. No stickum on Earth would have made a difference.

you've never used stickum.

i'm not disputing that it was a great catch--just correctly tracking the ball and making the physical adjustment was otherworldly. but unless you've spent time catching footballs with and without stickum, you can't understand. the hardest part of 1-hand catches is controlling the spin of the ball, and stickum makes all the difference in the world for that.

Yeah it's kinda hard to compare Odell to anyone because he's unlike everyone. Can literally catch anything and out jump anyone. I think Vic Cruz will actually take some heat off this guy too. I don't buy the "they have a year to scheme for him" crap because after he made that 3-finger catch on national TV, HE WAS THE MAN. Everyone was talking about him and what did he do? Continue to light everyone up! The kid is a freak and I feel bad for the fools passing up on him.

I think he can put up video game numbers with anyone as his QB. That's why I have him #2 behind Brown. Cannot argue with him #1. Any ranking where he's below 5 WR is foolish.

When Beckham stopped on a dime and caught that pass barely out of bounds with one hand, that was the move of a veteran. It looked like Beckham was floating in the air and basically one hand caught the ball. Then he trucked Revis who tried to take Beckham straight on. Trust me, he mase the best CB in the game look average. And this is only Beckhams second year.

A move of a veteran? It was a great move, most WR's won't make it look as good, but they'll do something similar. What are they supposed to do? Keep running and let the ball be thrown behind them?

In the end, there's no use arguing over a play where both players did their job.

Revis ran right with him and was pushing him toward the sideline. However, Odell made a nice adjustment before Revis recognized where the ball was being thrown and caught it....out of bounds. Nice play by both. Revis wins by a small margin because it was incomplete.

yeah I've been counting on draft buddy and fft rankings the last few years and my teams have been the suck

#boughtitagainthisyear

you've never used stickum.

i'm not disputing that it was a great catch--just correctly tracking the ball and making the physical adjustment was otherworldly. but unless you've spent time catching footballs with and without stickum, you can't understand. the hardest part of 1-hand catches is controlling the spin of the ball, and stickum makes all the difference in the world for that.

The catch was on the tips of his fingers. The overwhelming reason for the catch was what you identified: his talent. Stickum wasn't the primary reason, particularly since the catch happened with three fingers.

Regardless: I do not see Odell "falling off". The guy is the most impactful talent to enter the NFL since Jerry Rice.

The catch was on the tips of his fingers. The overwhelming reason for the catch was what you identified: his talent. Stickum wasn't the primary reason, particularly since the catch happened with three fingers.

Regardless: I do not see Odell "falling off". The guy is the most impactful talent to enter the NFL since Jerry Rice.

Don't want to split hairs here but Randy Moss was the last talent to impact the game at WR, then Jerry IMO. Single handedly made Green Bay draft 6 DB the following year. No one had seen speed, hands and deep balls grabbed like that. Then after people thought he fell off in oak he had the best season in WR history.

Don't want to split hairs here but Randy Moss was the last talent to impact the game at WR, then Jerry IMO. Single handedly made Green Bay draft 6 DB the following year. No one had seen speed, hands and deep balls grabbed like that. Then after people thought he fell off in oak he had the best season in WR history.

I can agree with this.

talent is indeed the primary reason that he was in position to catch the ball. but had you ever used stickum, you'd understand that the fact he was able to catch the ball with 3 fingers is compelling evidence that stickum was the major factor. i don't care how big a guy's hands are, and how much talent he has--no one stops the spin of a long pass instantly with 3 fingertips.

go back and watch the play, from any replay angle you like. pay attention to the laces--the spin stops instantly, instead of winding down or translating to wobble as it does on a non-stickum 1-hand. the only way this happens is through adhesion--the ridges on your fingertips don't provide adequate friction to do that. without stickum, that catch simply doesn't happen.

look--stickum is part of the game, and the guy is supremely talented. no one is saying any different. but you're speculating that "no stickum on earth would have made a difference", which is just wrong. had you been more circumspect and said that stickum was no more a factor in that catch than in any other, no one could argue with you. but you misread the evidence and drastically overstated, to the point of error.

the guy is a rare talent, made a great catch, and looks to have a great future. leave it at that.

talent is indeed the primary reason that he was in position to catch the ball. but had you ever used stickum, you'd understand that the fact he was able to catch the ball with 3 fingers is compelling evidence that stickum was the major factor. i don't care how big a guy's hands are, and how much talent he has--no one stops the spin of a long pass instantly with 3 fingertips.

go back and watch the play, from any replay angle you like. pay attention to the laces--the spin stops instantly, instead of winding down or translating to wobble as it does on a non-stickum 1-hand. the only way this happens is through adhesion--the ridges on your fingertips don't provide adequate friction to do that. without stickum, that catch simply doesn't happen.

look--stickum is part of the game, and the guy is supremely talented. no one is saying any different. but you're speculating that "no stickum on earth would have made a difference", which is just wrong. had you been more circumspect and said that stickum was no more a factor in that catch than in any other, no one could argue with you. but you misread the evidence and drastically overstated, to the point of error.

the guy is a rare talent, made a great catch, and looks to have a great future. leave it at that.

Perhaps we're arguing past each other, but my point is going to stand, for one really unassailable reason: every WR uses stickum.

Only Beckham owns a catch like that.

The End.