Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

New vehicle prices

psychology of positive feelings towards a perceived 'deal'

I'm curious, if Saturn was a decent vehicle, would they have been successful with their pricing model. I'm guessing not since no vehicle company has tried since.

Seems the new vehicle rebates are over $10,000. Why not just drop the MSRP 20 % and stop this BS?

Some sort of tax scam maybe? I dunno. It's been a while since I plowed into the hot mess that is the internal revenue code (my heavily abridged version in law school was same near a foot thick of small print. It had selected regs too.)

I love you people who pay full price for a brand new car. Bought a 2014 Buick Enclave premium with every option, 18k miles, for 31,500. Brand new they are 55k.

• Like 1

I love you people who pay full price for a brand new car. Bought a 2014 Buick Enclave premium with every option, 18k miles, for 31,500. Brand new they are 55k.

I've actually never bought a new car. I'm like you, late model low miles used.

I've actually never bought a new car. I'm like you, late model low miles used.

I don't buy new cars, although they are new, last car I bought took me about a month to find. Thats cause it was a 2012 and I bought it in January 2014

the car was technically 3 years old, yet had 125 miles on it.

I paid 21k for it, and had no blue book for a "new" version at the time, but the 2014's were selling at 43k

It was a commercial.

Similar to the "mail in rebate" on smart phones. Seems stupid to me but I'm sure there in an angle.

Personally I like buying vehicles 2-3 years old.

I do buy new cars. I like features and I don't want any issues.

I look to pay below invoice or just above. MSRP is not even a number I consider.

I do buy new cars. I like features and I don't want any issues.

I look to pay below invoice or just above. MSRP is not even a number I consider.

With or without the rebate? This is my point.

I buy new. I pay well below invoice plus rebates taking it even lower. Last vehicle I bought new a year ago and I got 5.8% below invoice and another $1,000 bonus cash off so like 7% below invoice and 12% off MSRP.

With or without the rebate? This is my point.

Does it matter? The car costs about $X to the dealer (invoice). There is dealer hold back on top of that, which depends on brand. I think that the dealer needs to make some money on the car to stay in business. I pay accordingly.

Some cars are a good deal under invoice and some a little over. Depends on the car.

Does it matter? The car costs about $X to the dealer (invoice). There is dealer hold back on top of that, which depends on brand. I think that the dealer needs to make some money on the car to stay in business. I pay accordingly.

Some cars are a good deal under invoice and some a little over. Depends on the car.

Why not say th MSRP is $100,000 and offer a $60,000 rebate? I think at $10,000 the scam has run its course. That's all.

That cash for clunkers was a good deal. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

If you're making payments, you're doing it wrong.

Straight cash, homie. :banana:

Agreed. I pay cash too.

You can get a car note for 1-4% interest.

I can get 6-10% interest on invested money.

Take three minutes an think about that.

Cash isn't always king.

• Like 1

They know that like half the people are going to forget or be too lazy to cut off the UPC, fill out that tiny rebate form, find a stamp and mail it in. Happens to me all the time with those Gillette razors. :doh:

I like buying 6-8 year old vehicles, much cheaper and still reliable.

seems like just about the age many cars start having problems. I prefer 2-3 year old used cars, and keep them at least a decade.
  • Like 1

Cash isn't always king.

Thats mathematically great, but most people arent investing the money they've "saved" by taking a car loan.

Cash isn't always king.

You might get 6-10% on your invested cash.

Why not say th MSRP is $100,000 and offer a $60,000 rebate? I think at $10,000 the scam has run its course. That's all.

It works on women. They can't understand numbers.

My ex wife would always walk by the clothing stores and say to me "ooh! It's 70% off on sale!"

I would say "really? Do you think anyone ever actually PAID that price? Or did they mark it up 120% and then mark it down 70% so you think you got a good deal."

I hate the rebates on phones. I'm the guy that always forgets to send it in. I don't think I've ever successfully collected one.

I like buying 6-8 year old vehicles, much cheaper and still reliable.

I do this also. It takes a good eye and patience to find the right thing but I own 3 cars right now all with over 150k miles and all run great

Similar to the "mail in rebate" on smart phones. Seems stupid to me but I'm sure there in an angle.

Personally I like buying vehicles 2-3 years old.

2-3 years is about right. Many were leases, so they were generally well maintained. My last purchase was a 2 year old vehicle, loaded to the gills, for 2/3 of MSRP. I have never bought new.

Cash isn't always king.

While your making payments, I'll be building wealth off of the money I'm saving and investing every month. Where are you getting 6 - 10%?

While your making payments, I'll be building wealth off of the money I'm saving and investing every month. Where are you getting 6 - 10%?

He can't unless he is the lender. 6% growth, maybe. 6% interest, laughable.

Just because you have a car payment doesn't mean you can't also save and invest. HTH

Just because you have a car payment doesn't mean you can't also save and invest. HTH

Right, but you can save more if you're not making as many payments each month.

Math isn't your strong suit, is it?

Owing on something isn't the same as saving. Get a clue. I got A / A+ in every math class I ever took, Calculus I, II and III included. Also, you're a complete doushe the way you replied to my post, just so you know.

Right, but you can save more if you're not making as many payments each month.

Of course you can. But you also need some enjoyment in life. Driving off the lot in a new vehicle is pretty nice. Plus up here where it gets to -40, having a new car is a requirement some days if you want to be able to use it.

My post about the buying vs investing percentages was only directed at the people who were bragging about paying cash in full for a car.

That is awesome, but my point is that car loan rates are so so low these days. 2,3 %.

That if I had 25K laying around I'd rather throw it in the market and then just take on the car note.

My post about the buying vs investing percentages was only directed at the people who were bragging about paying cash in full for a car.

That is awesome, but my point is that car loan rates are so so low these days. 2,3 %.

That if I had 25K laying around I'd rather throw it in the market and then just take the on the car note.

For some, the emotional benefit of not having a loan may outweigh the financial benefit of leveraging.

I buy used vehicles at big dealerships typically Certified by them which adds a 12 month/15 mile bumper to bumper warranty on them. I look for vehicles with 40k or less mileage 1-3 years old.

Latest purchase was in Jan 2015 where I got a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with tons of extras (20" wheels, fender flares, spray in bedliner, bed cover, step sides, leather, etc) for $28,500. Vehicle new with all those options was 40+k. God bless the people that trade in vehicles after a year or two. :banana:

If you're making payments, you're doing it wrong.

Straight cash, homie. :banana:

My last 3 vehicles have been this way.. Granted none of them were brand new and none were flashy head turners - but they were all very reliable nice cars/trucks. I also never spend more than 15k - that's my limit... I've had my current truck for 10 years, she has 181,000 miles and still going strong... Unless you just have money to burn - don't know why anyone would ever buy a brand new car... Maybe that's why most of America is buried in debt up to their eyeballs.

My last 3 vehicles have been this way.. Granted none of them were brand new and none were flashy head turners - but they were all very reliable nice cars/trucks. I also never spend more than 15k - that's my limit... I've had my current truck for 10 years, she has 181,000 miles and still going strong... Unless you just have money to burn - don't know why anyone would ever buy a brand new car... Maybe that's why most of America is buried in debt up to their eyeballs.

My current car was 6 years old when I bought it. I paid about $10,500. That's the most I've ever spent.

I bought a new car in 2013, focking excise tax was 600 bucks and that's not even an expensive car!