Sign in to follow this  
GobbleDog

Serena Williams ranking on men's circuit?

NPR 6/25/17

Garcia-Navarro: We’re talking about male players but there is of course wonderful female players. Let’s talk about Serena Williams. You say she is the best female player in the world in the book.

McEnroe: Best female player ever — no question.

Garcia-Navarro: Some wouldn’t qualify it, some would say she’s the best player in the world. Why qualify it?

McEnroe: Oh! Uh, she’s not, you mean, the best player in the world, period?

Garcia-Navarro: Yeah, the best tennis player in the world. You know, why say female player?

McEnroe: Well because if she was in, if she played the men’s circuit she’d be like 700 in the world.

Garcia-Navarro: You think so?

McEnroe: Yeah. That doesn’t mean I don’t think Serena is an incredible player. I do, but the reality of what would happen would be I think something that perhaps it’d be a little higher, perhaps it’d be a little lower. And on a given day, Serena could beat some players. I believe because she’s so incredibly strong mentally that she could overcome some situations where players would choke ’cause she’s been in it so many times, so many situations at Wimbledon, The U.S. Open, etc. But if she had to just play the circuit — the men’s circuit — that would be an entirely different story.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/john-mcenroe-serena-williams-pregnant-ranked-700-comment-video-response

The headline to this story.... "McEnroe refuses to apologize, mocks Serena Williams"

Mocks? Because his number is too high? What number would have been politically correct? Who better to give an honest ballpark guess?

Why do women play 3 matches and men play 5 matches?

Women have to go home and cook dinner.

• Like 1

they are called SETS old man.

men only play best of 5 sets for the majors. (4 times a year)

700 was probably unneccesary. ESPN radio was arguing Garcia-Navarro was discussing the greatest champion... As she is further ahead of her peers than say Federer is for the mens, or anyone else... Thats an argument to have. But it is clearly not what Garcia said.

Comparing men to women is like comparing era's against each other... Bjorn Borg with his wooden racket would get destroyed by the #700 on the ATP. It wouldn't be close. Its a dumb conversation all around

Sets you herb. not matches

There goes Baker Boy firing from the hip, instead of just posting articles again.

Stick to regurgitating other people's thoughts, old man. Your own brain sucks at thinking.

If the ranking is based on c0ck size McEnroe added 2 too many zeroes :o

Women have to go home and cook dinner.

:lol:

Qualitity post

Sets you herb. not matches

Good catch! You guys really know the game. Good for you.

Her naked fat black ass is on cover of a magazine next month. Ugh. Not a fan.

Currently ranked 701 in the world....34 y.o. Dmitry Tursunov from Russia. :banana:

What a p*ssy.

If she played in the men's bracket, she'd have exactly as many tennis majors as me... Sorry sweetie, you need to get over it.

Her naked fat black ass is on cover of a magazine next month. Ugh. Not a fan.

Would

Garcia-Navarro: Some wouldn’t qualify it, some would say she’s the best player in the world. Why qualify it?

McEnroe: Oh! Uh, she’s not, you mean, the best player in the world, period?

Garcia-Navarro: Yeah, the best tennis player in the world. You know, why say female player?

This is the kind of horsesh!t we are constantly having rammed down our throat. I love how McEnroe, took what was essentially an absurd and ridiculous statement(by a woman of course), and flipped it into an equally absurd and ridiculous statement.

God....Why qualify it. BECAUSE THERE ARE QUALIFIERS!!!

Shes a focking beast I'll admit. But she wouldn't make the top 10. She would definitely be in the top 30 though

When Chris Evert was in her prime in the '70s, her brother was a pretty good college tennis player. She said when they played each other, her brother would mop the court with her.

Granted, the women's game has changed to be more of a power game than the finesse type game Chris Evert played, but still...McEnroe's probably pretty dead on, maybe even a little generous.

Shes a focking beast I'll admit. But she wouldn't make the top 10. She would definitely be in the top 30 though

I just don't see any way this is even remotely close.. She averages what, about 105 mph with her serve? Men are averaging about 118 mph. And that's just the serve.. She has no where near the speed or range to cover a court compared to even the lowest ranking men.

She'd get eaten alive, no?

Fake outrage, more msm trying to tell you what should care about.

Saw it in a glance passing by mike n mike.. god how nauseating that 2 minutes was.

I just don't see any way this is even remotely close.. She averages what, about 109 mph with her serve? And that's just the serve.. She has no where near the speed or range to cover a court compared to even the lowest ranking men.

She'd get eaten alive, no?

Why you gotta talk about being eaten in reference to a female player. What's wrong with you?

No she wouldn't. This has come up before because the Williams sisters once claimed they could beat any man ranked 200 or lower. So like the 202nd ranked man played each a set on an Aussie open practice court and utterly embarrassed both of them. I am surprised this is even being discussed again.

Ser

Can you please pass some of whatever you have been smoking over to me?

Look she dominates on the womens tour as she has one of the fastest serves at 128mph. The fastest serve on the mens tour is 163mph and the men on tour ALL are going to be serving faster than her top speed. Her booming serve at the female level would result in a below average serve on the mens tour.

No she wouldn't. This has come up before because the Williams sisters once claimed they could beat any man ranked 200 or lower. So like the 202nd ranked man played each a set on an Aussie open practice court and utterly embarrassed both of them. I am surprised this is even being discussed again.

This I did not know....Interesting

“Actually it’s funny, because Andy Murray, he’s been joking about myself and him playing a match. I’m like, ‘Andy, seriously, are you kidding me?’ For me, mens’ tennis and womens’ tennis are completely, almost, two separate sports. If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes. No, it’s true. It’s a completely different sport. The men are a lot faster and they serve harder, they hit harder, it’s just a different game. I love to play women’s tennis. I only want to play girls, because i don’t want to be embarrassed. "

Billie Jean King who at the time was one of the best in the world, barely beat some schlub (Bobby Riggs) who could only use ONE serve. :rolleyes:

anyone that thinks a girl could compete with boys in tennis is beyond retarded

That's like saying Sheryl Swoopes could beat Jordan one on one when both were in their primes.

Just dumb...

And yeah>Swoopes is argued as one of the best female basketball players of all time. I had to look that up though

Billie Jean King who at the time was one of the best in the world, barely beat some schlub (Bobby Riggs) who could only use ONE serve. :rolleyes:

anyone that thinks a girl could compete with boys in tennis is beyond retarded

A 55-year old schlub at that.

A 55-year old schlub at that.

Sad most people here have no clue about this match.

Here is a different one

or this one.

Martina got to play the doubles lines :rolleyes:

700 seems high, unless it was purposely a high number to show the absurdity. I really am curious where she wouldn rank. Obviously not anywhere near the top

Sad most people here have no clue about this match.

Here is a different one

or this one.

Martina got to play the doubles lines :rolleyes:

Doubles lines..WTF?? Aand Connors still beat her.

700 seems high, unless it was purposely a high number to show the absurdity. I really am curious where she wouldn rank. Obviously not anywhere near the top

I think she would be in the 40 to 60 range

I think she would be in the 40 to 60 range

Not even close. Someone like Bernard Tomic would obliterate her.

She would be honestly lucky to be in the top 150-200

Not even close. Someone like Bernard Tomic would obliterate her.

She would be honestly lucky to be in the top 150-200

Really? I don't know tennis that well but I didn't think that gap was that large.

I think this is all complete bs... John was baited into the comment. He gave her credit and then was lead down a rabbit hole that was completely unfair