Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

What's a good trade (job) ?

I think in my next life I'd like to be a bricklayer. I don't know, something very Zen about it.

I've done roofing and framing. Roofing just sucks. Pretty much always find work if you can throw up some Sheetrock. But it's pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

What else you got?

I wouldn't mind being an electrician or HVAC guy

always will have work, easy to start your own business and make 100k a year pretty easily as well

also fock roofing, I did 2 days of that in Palm Springs last year (working on my own house cause I am a Jew), and after two days, I told the contractor sub it out and ill pay the difference

Not a "trade" per se, but Ive had a part time power washing biz for 17 yrs. Its not alot of overhead, you just need a place to store your stuff. You can get started with really nice stuff for less than 10k(if u have a truck already). I dont kill myself with it and usually work April thru Oct, but could do it year round. I do anywhere from 1-4 houses a day. Minus travel time, my goal is grossing $100 an hour. I hit that 90% of the time.

• Like 2

My grandfather owned a successful auto body shop. As the only grandson, I was basically offered that instead of going to law school, I should come work there with an eye on taking it over some day.

In hindsight, that would have been the smart play.

Not a "trade" per se, but Ive had a part time power washing biz for 17 yrs. Its not alot of overhead, you just need a place to store your stuff. You can get started with really nice stuff for less than 10k(if u have a truck already). I dont kill myself with it and usually work April thru Oct, but could do it year round. I do anywhere from 1-4 houses a day. Minus travel time, my goal is grossing $100 an hour. I hit that 90% of the time.

Who hires you? For what?

You have possibly the most career opportunity and variety/avenues of employment as a pipefitter. You can become HVAC, a welder, a nuclear grade inspector, a bad ass layout guy, project management, bidding work. Some combination of those. Of course we also have some of the most dangerous conditions. Specifically for all the deadly and cancerous chemicals that run through the pipes.

Locksmith seemed cool.

Of course, these days are we just calls OnStar or it's a button or whatever. I'm not even sure real keys and locks exist anymore.

Who hires you? For what?

I'd pay $200 if someone washed the house, sidewalk and the driveway. Fock yeah.........

HVAC if you own your own company.

I'd pay $200 if someone washed the house, sidewalk and the driveway. Fock yeah.........

HVAC if you own your own company.

Cheapskate😠

Who hires you? For what?

I do 95% residential. Basically, if its outside of your home, ill wash it. A vast majority of my work is vinyl sided houses. But, pretty much anything from concrete to wood.

What would that typically run? :dunno:

Depends on square footage, your area, etc. A typical 2k sq ft house in my area with a concrete drive and sidewalk would prob be $3-350 depending on size of drive and walk. Obviously if your down south, you find the cheaper prices and lots of hacks doing it for beer money.

Depends on square footage, your area, etc. A typical 2k sq ft house in my area with a concrete drive and sidewalk would prob be $3-350 depending on size of drive and walk. Obviously if your down south, you find the cheaper prices and lots of hacks doing it for beer money.

I'd still pay $350 so long as the driveway looked good and some care was used with whatever was used on the siding (vinyl) to make sure it didn't kill plants.

I look at it as less than half a days pay and I get two days of my life back? Hell yeah.

I'd still pay $350 so long as the driveway looked good and some care was used with whatever was used on the siding (vinyl) to make sure it didn't kill plants.

I look at it as less than half a days pay and I get two days of my life back? Hell yeah.

Make sure you get someone who uses a soft washing method on vinyl. Also, make sure they use a surface cleaner on the driveway. You will get clean streaks on drive if they just try to use a wand.

Plants shouldnt be an issue. They should be wet down and then rinsed for any errant chems. But chemsshouldnt even be strong enough to be an issue for plants.

Make sure you get someone who uses a soft washing method on vinyl. Also, make sure they use a surface cleaner on the driveway. You will get clean streaks on drive if they just try to use a wand.

Plants shouldnt be an issue. They should be wet down and then rinsed for any errant chems. But chemsshouldnt even be strong enough to be an issue for plants..

What's your recommendation for a surface cleaner on driveway/sidewalk?

What's your recommendation for a surface cleaner on driveway/sidewalk?

Sorry, my mistake. A Surface Cleaner is not a detergent, it is a tool that looks like a lawn mower and it is used to clean flat surfaces like concrete. If the concrete is not too dirty, it can be just done with hot water. The Surface Cleaner is necessary to have an even distance of the nozzles away from the concrete. If not, there will still be streaks of dirt left after it dries and it looks like crap

I have a friend who's the superintendent at an exclusive golf club here. The owner gives him free housing on the course, year round pay even though the season is short, free golf for him and his guests, and some other perks. He loves to work outside, and gets to play around on bobcats, tractors, backhoes, etc. It's a pretty sweet deal for lawn boy/ditch digger. He studied agriculture at Michigan State. Not sure if he has a degree or some sort of certificate.

Wood working. If I win the lottery, that is the hobby I take up. Build a huge wood shop, buy all of the machinery required, and just make stuff. Who cares if it doesn't sell.

But if you are good at it, your stuff will be in high demand.

• Like 1

Locksmith seemed cool.

Of course, these days are we just calls OnStar or it's a button or whatever. I'm not even sure real keys and locks exist anymore.

Locksmith does seem pretty cool. Kind of the same vibes as a watchmaker which I always thought was a really cool job.

I think in my next life I'd like to be a bricklayer. I don't know, something very Zen about it.

I've done roofing and framing. Roofing just sucks. Pretty much always find work if you can throw up some Sheetrock. But it's pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

What else you got?

Where I live those jobs are dominated by people with work visas or are here illegally.

You make 700 a day?

Sorry, my mistake. A Surface Cleaner is not a detergent, it is a tool that looks like a lawn mower and it is used to clean flat surfaces like concrete. If the concrete is not too dirty, it can be just done with hot water. The Surface Cleaner is necessary to have an even distance of the nozzles away from the concrete. If not, there will still be streaks of dirt left after it dries and it looks like crap

What about aggregate driveways with all the little embedded rocks?

My next door neighbor tried to sell me his house washing business a while back. I had other things going on but it seemed like a good business. Lots of old retired people here who are happy to pay good money for someone to wash their house every 3-6 months. He had a few Messicans and a retiree area in Mesa in which he would just loop around. :thumbsup:

Is there a GC discount?

Not a "trade" per se, but Ive had a part time power washing .

Pressure Washing not power washing.

I do 95% residential. Basically, if its outside of your home, ill wash it. A vast majority of my work is vinyl sided houses. But, pretty much anything from concrete to wood.

Had to do that for my parents growing up. Would gladly pay someone else to do it for me but it was a way to get tan during the summer. That and washing my car

Pressure Washing not power washing.

Uh, no. Pressure is for amateurs hacks. Tons of pros dont even have pressure pumps. Low, pressure, hi flow ag pumps will put you in the $$$. Pressure is only for concrete.

Big time shortage of auto techs right now.

Have your son or daughter get into the driveability aspect of it young, and they will have a very good money making career. fact

Seriously, it's getting pretty crazy right now with the influx of tech and the lack of bodies that can understand said tech. Cash cow

My uncle is a mechanic of some sort. But not auto mechanic. He fixes a wide variety of things in his shop. Hes got a contract with the sewage treatment plant to fix their motors and stuff. Only downside is some of the stuff he fixes either smells like sh1t, has sh1t on it, or he has to go where the sh1t is and fix things. I guess most people around the town wouldnt do it because of the sewage. He saws he only sees dollar signs when it comes to it. Guy is pretty well off but youd never guess it. Bought my cousin whatever he wanted. Literally. Got him new vehicles all the time only for my cousin to pretty much destroy them. This is the same cousin whos now in jail for killing a girl while driving intoxicated. Uncle helped him out of trouble most of the time but this time he couldnt (and honestly I think he had enough of his shenanigans).