Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Self Defense Killing in Florida...Geeks got an opinion?

Well, MDC is the broken record of the Geek Club, repeating himself hundreds of times in an effort to convince himself he is always right.

You're just crabby because you disagree with my politics. RP has posted 10+ pages of threads on the same topic for 3 years and you verbally fellate him on a daily basis.

I'm already having Trayvon Martin Case fatigue. Is this going to be a speedy trial or will this thing drag out into 2013? :cry:

I'm already having Trayvon Martin Case fatigue. Is this going to be a speedy trial or will this thing drag out into 2013? :cry:

I've read estimates of up to a year if it goes to a full trial.

Eeks.....i cant see this taking that long as we have few witnesses, no history between the two, etc.....but what do i know...im a caveman.

Who's making the FREE ZIMMERMAN t-shirts?

Focking great. :thumbsdown:

Over/Under on how many actual murders happen in the U.S. between now and then. Ten thousand? Twenty Thousand?

How much federal and state dollars are going to pay for this politically motivated trial to quiet the masses? A million? 10 million?

Wow those are some really inflammatory statements by Dershowitz. I don't think he's right either. Probable cause affidavits are always conclusory. He's acting like this is an exception and it's not. Maybe its time for ol' Allen to leave his ivory tower and visit an actual courtroom.

Maybe it's time you stop claiming to be an attorney on a lightly trafficked FFB messageboard cuz you sit around in your speedos watching Perry Mason reruns.

Focking great. :thumbsdown:

Over/Under on how many actual murders happen in the U.S. between now and then. Ten thousand? Twenty Thousand?

How much federal and state dollars are going to pay for this politically motivated trial to quiet the masses? A million? 10 million?

You think that's bad? Wait until he's acquitted. The property damages throughout the US will be in the billions.

You are utterly clueless to legal proceedings. I bet you didn't believe Chef wrote "Stinky Britches" either.

I know a lot more than Alan "Ivory Tower" Dershowitz, but that's not saying much! :lol:

I know a lot more than Alan "Ivory Tower" Dershowitz, but that's not saying much! :lol:

You do an amazing job hiding all that knowledge when you post here. :thumbsup:

last night i heard that a judge will determine whether there will be a trial at all, based upon this "stand your ground" law. it could be over rather quickly if it qualifies.

Last month, the Tampa Bay Times compiled a list of 140 cases since 2005 in which the stand your ground law had been invoked in Florida alone. Among those 140 cases, the newspaper reported, there were 11 in which the circumstances were similar to those in which George Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin.

One case from 2009 involved a black defendant, Demarro Battle, who was initially charged with second-degree murder for shooting and killing an unarmed white male, Omar Bonilla (whose race was confirmed today by the Fort Myers Police Department). The charges were dropped by the state because of the stand your ground law.

That is just one case, from one state among the several that have stand your ground laws.

it should be noted that zimmerman is also being charged with second-degree murder.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/judge-george-zimmerman-case-offers-recuse-herself-175152933.html

A Florida judge on Friday offered to recuse herself from the George Zimmerman case in a surprise hearing because of her husband's ties to a CNN legal analyst and commentator.

The Orlando Sentinel reports that Judge Jessica Recksiedler disclosed that her husband works for Mark NeJame, a prominent Orlando attorney, in the five-minute hearing Friday afternoon. In addition to working for his law firm, NeJame sounds off on the Zimmerman case for CNN. It's unclear if either attorney will take Recksiedler up on her offer and ask her to step aside.

Actually concerned about impropriety? Or doesn't want to be caught in the sh*tstorm if Zimmerman walks?

last night i heard that a judge will determine whether there will be a trial at all, based upon this "stand your ground" law. it could be over rather quickly if it qualifies.

Yes, that is true...and also noted in this thread. :wave:

Yes, that is true...and also noted in this thread. :wave:

:waving back: thanks kutulu. it's hard to find info in this one.

:waving back: thanks kutulu. it's hard to find info in this one.

Yeah...it's getting long...that's what she said. :banana: Anyway, this was within a post on page 28:

Step 5 – Defense files a motion to dismiss based on Florida’s “stand your ground” law

If Zimmerman is charged, he is entitled to a pre-trial evidentiary hearing on whether he is entitled to the immunity based on the law.

The burden at that hearing is on the defense to prove by “a preponderance of the evidence” (more likely than not) that Zimmerman was justified in using deadly force.

In Florida, an individual can use deadly force anywhere (with no duty to retreat) as long as he/she:

1. is not engaged in an unlawful activity;

2. is being attacked in a place he/she has a right to be; And

3. reasonably believes that his/her life and safety is in danger.

The judge decides whether Zimmerman’s actions were justified, and therefore entitles him to the “stand your ground” immunity.

1. If the judge finds the force was justifiable, then the charges are dismissed and Zimmerman is immune from further criminal prosecution and possibly, civil liability.

2. If the judge finds the force was not justifiable, then the charges against Zimmerman move forward.

If the judge rules Zimmerman is immune, the prosecution can appeal that decision to a higher court.

Yeah...it's getting long...that's what she said. :banana: Anyway, this was within a post on page 28:

yes, and there's precedent regarding the 2nd degree charge and the stand your ground defense. unless there is evidence that hasn't been disclosed yet, this one seems to fit the mold.

yes, and there's precedent regarding the 2nd degree charge and the stand your ground defense. unless there is evidence that hasn't been disclosed yet, this one seems to fit the mold.

Stand Your Ground is highly fact specific. What's interesting is that Zimmerman will almost certainly have to take the stand because he seems to be the only person that can testify that Trayvon allegedly attacked him.

You think that's bad? Wait until he's acquitted. The property damages throughout the US will be in the billions.

Not in my neighborhood. :bandana:

You're just crabby because you disagree with my politics. RP has posted 10+ pages of threads on the same topic for 3 years and you verbally fellate him on a daily basis.

Problem is, I am not crying, I am laughing. It has nothing to do with your politics or RP. It is how in thread after thread, you repeat yourself over and over and over. All these are from just this thread.

it sounds like an overzealous self appointed watchdog who initiated a confrontation and shot an unarmed minor dead.

The guy stalked and then shot an unarmed minor who was pleading for his life

he stalked Martin, initiating a confrontation, then shot him dead.

an unarmed kid gets shot dead and the police drag their heels launching an investigation and it may not even go to trial.

I couldn't believe you can follow and then shoot a minor dead

Like I said, it's incredible to me that someone with Zimmermann's history of being overzealous and threatening can shoot / kill an unarmed minor

all I'm saying is it's focking astounding to me that in Florida you can shoot an unarmed minor dead

I mostly blame the stupid law in Florida that lets a guy like Zimmerman shoot an unarmed minor dead without even standing trial to account for his actions.

:lol:

More sad news regarding this case, geeks. The hot judge is out. :sad:

Damn now we'll probably have to look at a troll like Judge Ito :thumbsdown:

Problem is, I am not crying, I am laughing. It has nothing to do with your politics or RP. It is how in thread after thread, you repeat yourself over and over and over. All these are from just this thread.

:lol:

That's probably because they're all on the same subject. I have a feeling if you went through this thread you'd find the same idea posted over and over by RP and others, but you don't have a problem with that because you're his little munchkin twink.

Your problem with me is ALL about disagreeing with my politics because you're as derivative and predictable as anyone here and I almost never comment on or reply to anything you say, ever. If you put me on ignore I wouldn't even notice.

:cheers:

Well that changes things now doesn't it?

This hearing isn't going well for the state. That may change things more than the photo.

Your problem with me is ALL about disagreeing with my politics

I thought you were both Republicans. :lol:

Well, MDC is a Log Cabin Republican.

It's a big tent - lots of room for disagreement. :thumbsup:

Seeing that photo and given he didn't get any stitches, I don't know.. The head has a lot of capillaries and bleeds a lot for even a little cut.

If his head was split, you must acquit.

At least say it the way Zimmerman would...Si la cabeza se divide, debe absolver.

Seeing that photo and given he didn't get any stitches, I don't know.. The head has a lot of capillaries and bleeds a lot for even a little cut.

The amount of bleeding is irrelevant; it corroborates Zimmerman's story that he was getting his head pounded. That pounding could have happened with no bleeding as well, of course. Luckily for George, he is a bleeder. :thumbsup:

The amount of bleeding is irrelevant; it corroborates Zimmerman's story that he was getting his head pounded. That pounding could have happened with no bleeding as well, of course. Luckily for George, he is a bleeder. :thumbsup:

If we were to assume that George was getting his head pounded, does that really mean that he should be acquitted? If Zimmerman initiated the situation, then he cannot claim "Stand Your Ground" or self defense. The only thing that this would really confirm is that there was an altercation and that Zimmerman did not just pop Martin in cold blood.

I guess I don't understand how the same people saying that people should not rush to assume guilt are rushing to assume acquittal. :dunno:

If we were to assume that George was getting his head pounded, does that really mean that he should be acquitted? If Zimmerman initiated the situation, then he cannot claim "Stand Your Ground" or self defense. The only thing that this would really confirm is that there was an altercation and that Zimmerman did not just pop Martin in cold blood.

I guess I don't understand how the same people saying that people should not rush to assume guilt are rushing to assume acquittal. :dunno:

Well again....Zimm could have been yelling it him down the block..thats not against the law..at some point it turned physical...IMO Trayvon initiated THAT....which led to his shooting.

I dont think we should assume acquittal....but the story sure has changed hasnt it? The more and more that gets shown....the more difficult this is going to be for the state to prove.

At the risk of being word-smithy, I didn't say it means it proves his innocence, it merely helps his case. Also I think you may be wrong in your statement about Stand Your Ground, given other cases that people have posted here.

That being said, I do find myself leaning towards looking for reasons for acquittal, because I hate race-baiters. :dunno:

You'll have to define "initiated the situation" in terms of what's legal or not. In today's hearing, his attorney asked the investigator if they had any evidence that contradicted Zimmerman's statement where he said that Trayvon Martin attacked him first. The investigator said no.

You'll have to define "initiated the situation" in terms of what's legal or not. In today's hearing, his attorney asked the investigator if they had any evidence that contradicted Zimmerman's statement where he said that Trayvon Martin attacked him first. The investigator said no.

There is no question that having wounds that are consistent with his statement to the police helps Zimmerman's case. The statement from the investigator that they had no evidence that contradicted that is even worse. I still don't think that it is enough to say that there is enough for "reasonable doubt". You have to wait until all testimony is given.

Unless there is some major witness evidence we haven't been privy to yet, Zimmerman is going to walk.

just impartially looking at facts lead you more towards innocence than guilt.

- People who kill people in cold blood don't call 911 first.

Seems the other side hinges on the fact that he followed after a 911 dispatcher said not to... However there was no legality to following or not following that command i beleive.

I now think they went second degree to force a plea because they know even a manslaughter conviction will be very very difficult.

There is no question that having wounds that are consistent with his statement to the police helps Zimmerman's case. The statement from the investigator that they had no evidence that contradicted that is even worse. I still don't think that it is enough to say that there is enough for "reasonable doubt". You have to wait until all testimony is given.

They said a lot of damaging things in this hearing. They admitted that they don't know who started the altercation. They admitted that they didn't talk to Martin's GF for FIVE WEEKS after the incident. They basically admitted that much of their assertions in the probable cause affidavit are pure speculation. I realize this was only a bond hearing. Quite honestly, I'm surprised they got in to anything of substance regarding the case, but for whatever reason they did. And I realize the prosecution doesn't have to show anything here. But, based upon the concessions their investigator made at this hearing, they better have some damn good evidence. They looked like keystone cops in this hearing, and the defense attorney outplayed the state's by a huge margin.

Would not be surprised to see the judge toss the case before it gets to a trial at this rate.