Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Potential NFL Scoring Change Could Rock Fantasy Football

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/could-the-nfl-eliminate-the-extra-point--commissioner-says-it-s-possible-223535426.html

Under consideration: a new scoring system that would award seven points for a touchdown. However, if a team wishes, it can go for an eighth point ... with the caveat that if the attempt fails, the team actually loses a point and drops back to six points. It's basically the same system as now, with the presumption that an extra point would be made.

This is a pretty huge deal. It makes kickers even more of a crap shoot because they won't get extra points, and more importantly, will fantasy leagues start awarding 7 points per TD or keep it at 6?

We're already divided among the lines of PPR and non-PPR. This will throw projections into disarray. It'll rain skittles. It'll be utter chaos. Winter is coming.

How about this for an unintended consequence...

I presume if you get a penalty on offense, you can just opt to take the 7. So you can, for one thing, line up for a 2 every single time, and if the defense happens to give you a favorable look, you go for it. If not, you take the delay of game, and then say, "Ah, we decided not to go for it anymore." Even worse, they take another delay of game right afterwards thinking maybe they'll get another chance at a good look. By the time it's 15 yards away you just say screw it, and kick off.

Or, you just tell your guys to all hold if they have to since taklng a penalty doesn't cost them anything. They get flagged for holding and just decide to kick off.

I guess you could just back them up on the kickoff if they get a penalty on the 2 point try and decide to just kickoff instead.

How about this for an unintended consequence...

I presume you, get a penalty on offense, you can just opt to take the 7. So you can for one thing line up for a 2 every single time, and if the defense happens to give you a favorable look, you go for it. If not, you take the delay of game, and then say, "Ah, we decided not to go for it anymore." Even worse, they take another delay of game right afterwards thinking maybe they'll get another chance at a good look. Byt he time it's 15 yards away you just say screw it, and kick off.

Or, you just tell your guys to all hold if they have to since taklng a penalty doesn't cost them anything. They get falgged for holding and just decide to kick off.

I guess you could just back them up on the kickoff if they get a penalty on the 2 point try and decide to just kickoff instead.

I suppose a proper solution would be to say that any offensive penalty when lined up for the 8-point play means you forfeit the attempt and just get 6.

Balance that by saying that a Defensive Penalty results in automatic 8? Otherwise, what have they got to lose...

Dunno man, would be weird. Wouldn't say that I'm opposed to doing away with PATs.

Maybe Goodell should consider allowing the defense to score off of blocked PATs instead. :dunno:

I suppose a proper solution would be to say that any offensive penalty when lined up for the 8-point play means you forfeit the attempt and just get 6.

Balance that by saying that a Defensive Penalty results in automatic 8? Otherwise, what have they got to lose...

Yeah, it's not a bad first cut at getting rid of extra points. I guess another solution is if you have an accepted penalty against the offense on the 2 pt try, the offense forfeits the right to take the auto-7 and kickoff. They just have to eat the 10 yard penalty or whatever and just try for the conversion from the 12 yard line. Or maybe even open it up to let them kick for the extra point from further out or something. It's definitely work-aroundable.

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, the NFL opts to give 4 points for FG's longer than 50 yards. I think they've been listening to fantasy players a lot lately. lol I'm not against getting rid of the PAT. It's boring and rather useless.

How's this; The cheerleaders dance on the sidelines in pasties and g-strings during all plays in Red Zone and on Kickoff/Punt Returns. That would bring excitement to the game and you just know at least one guy is going to get caught looking and get hammered each play.

BAN KICKERS

I also think the NFL should start awarding more points per touchdown depending on how far the TD was.

1 to 5 yards - 4 points

6 to 10 yards - 5 points

11 to 29 yards - 6 points

30 to 39 yards - 7 points

40 to 75 yards - 8 points

76 to 99 yards - 9 points

100+ - 10 points

LETS GET THIS DONE GODDELL!

If the NFL wants more excitement, drop the extra point and make every team go for 2 after each TD

They don't want excitement, they don't want to burn valuable air-time on plays that are essentially a foregone conclusion. I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

Definitely mucks with kicker scoring ... throws their variance way up the scales, without gimme points for the extra point.

Just award them a few extra points for FG distance to make up for it. 39 yards and less = 3 pts. 40 - 49 yards = 4 pts, 50+ yards = 5 pts.

This is a pretty huge deal. It makes kickers even more of a crap shoot because they won't get extra points, and more importantly, will fantasy leagues start awarding 7 points per TD or keep it at 6?

This is the most important question. For fantasy purposes, I think that you have to keep awarding 6 points for a TD because it makes no sense to award 7 points for some TDs but only 6 points for other TDs simply because the team chose to go for 2.

How about this:

teams would still have the option of kicking an extra point after a TD (still six points), or going for two. However, the extra point would be kicked from the 20, making it the equivalent of a 37 yard FG. Also, the two-point try would be from the five yard line.

This is the most important question. For fantasy purposes, I think that you have to keep awarding 6 points for a TD because it makes no sense to award 7 points for some TDs but only 6 points for other TDs simply because the team chose to go for 2. I got to admit, I didn't think of this.

Kicker is just kicker. I am thinking of make it optional or eliminate all together. But the fantasy points for TD might be a little tricky. Maybe fantasy scoring system will have to adjust as well, TD can get be either 6 or 7 points, because you will also need award the 2 points for a successful conversion.

If the NFL wants more excitement, drop the extra point and make every team go for 2 after each TD

not a bad Idea. I also like the idea of fg distance point variance. Award 4pnts for 50+ and 5 for 60+. Also a caveat could be you can opt to move your K back a tier. Meaning if u are kicking a 40yd fg, you can opt to move the ball back 10yds for a 50 or 20 for a 60 if u so choose.

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, the NFL opts to give 4 points for FG's longer than 50 yards. I think they've been listening to fantasy players a lot lately. lol I'm not against getting rid of the PAT. It's boring and rather useless.

That would have some pretty interesting gambling implications - to me at least. Right now there are a few numbers that are pretty sacred for setting lines in the NFL. 3 and 7 are huge (4 and 6 are pretty big too) because those are the most common. That's why you'll see lines move from something like -1 to -3 fairly easily, but then get stuck there and they'll just charge more juice (go from -110 to -120) instead of just moving the line to -3.5.

Instead of eliminating the extra point from a short distance, they should kick it as if it were a 50 yard field goal for 1 pt. If the scoring team misses the extra point, the defending team can choose to receive the ball from the spot of the attempt, (35 yard line or whereever the ball is placed for the try) or choose to receive a kickoff. The 2 pt conversion could be moved back to a distance between the 5-10 yard line. Scoring teams would then have a real decision to make between the 1 pt try and 2 pt try.... Weighing how good their kicker is, etc. This would add real value to the teams with great kickers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/could-the-nfl-eliminate-the-extra-point--commissioner-says-it-s-possible-223535426.html

We're already divided among the lines of PPR and non-PPR. This will throw projections into disarray. It'll rain skittles. It'll be utter chaos. Winter is coming.

not in any leagues that count ex points so its all good . only count fg . love the ideal

Just award them a few extra points for FG distance to make up for it. 39 yards and less = 3 pts. 40 - 49 yards = 4 pts, 50+ yards = 5 pts.

Are there leagues out there that don't do this? I kinda thought this was the norm for scoring FG's.

PAT's do seem useless and outdated, until I read this. Now I love them.

7 points unless it's six or eight, wtf is this a dice table?!?! do not like. stupid idea, I hope I never see it.

if they want to adjust the kicking game, put the kickoff back to the 35, 30, or grow a set and kick from the 20... then I would have "more excitement"

To make it harder the center and kicker trade places for extra point

Are there leagues out there that don't do this? I kinda thought this was the norm for scoring FG's.

My league does 3 points for 49 yards or less and 4 points for anything 50 or over.

Instead of eliminating the extra point from a short distance, they should kick it as if it were a 50 yard field goal for 1 pt. If the scoring team misses the extra point, the defending team can choose to receive the ball from the spot of the attempt, (35 yard line or whereever the ball is placed for the try) or choose to receive a kickoff. The 2 pt conversion could be moved back to a distance between the 5-10 yard line. Scoring teams would then have a real decision to make between the 1 pt try and 2 pt try.... Weighing how good their kicker is, etc. This would add real value to the teams with great kickers.

If the 2 point conversion was moved back to the 5 yard line, I think the number of attempts would dramatically decrease, not to mention moving it back to the 10. I haven't looked at the statistics, but I'm guessing there isn't much difference in the odds of kicking a 50 yard field goal as opposed to a 2 point conversion from the 2 yard line, especially if you take into account games where the weather impacts the kicking. If you're going to go with that option, I think the extra point should be 40 yards.

I think what they should do is after a TD, you get an extra point from the 2. If you make it, you get another extra point try from the 12. Make that, you get to try for another extra point from the 22, etc, etc. As soon as the kicker misses, the other team takes over at that spot.

I think what they should do is after a TD, you get an extra point from the 2. If you make it, you get another extra point try from the 12. Make that, you get to try for another extra point from the 22, etc, etc. As soon as the kicker misses, the other team takes over at that spot.

Yes, yes, yes. This is brilliant, except let me make one suggestion. That being a different player must attempt each kick after a successful try. Or, does the HC direct his player to miss the first kick on purpose so that you pin the other team's offense on their own 2. Situational play at its finest. The impact on Fantasy would be incredible.

This crazy talk added to that of a couple years back of taking away the kickoff, I can see the field goal kicker being removed from the game altogether. Complete nonsense.

Let's get the refs to switch out the ball to that of 50 years back when it resembled more of a rugby ball and let the QB drop kick it for 3.

Yes, because someone could get hurt on the XP kick. :dunno:

Always a possibility but consider that only about 1 in 500 extra points is missed so the consequence of this rule change would have virtually no impact to the NFL game - but spare us the play.

I take 1 kicker and 1 defense with my last 2 picks, this won't change a focking thing.

Very creative and a cool idea, but I hate it. It's terrible. That would make the extra point play take a ridiculous amount of time. No thanks.

Very creative and a cool idea, but I hate it. It's terrible. That would make the extra point play take a ridiculous amount of time. No thanks.

Im not sure who is focking around here and who isnt, but please tell me someone is joking.

As for fantasy implications, all tds stay at their current point value. Its that simple. If a league wants to embrace the new scoring system and integrate it into their style of play, so be it.

There are already leagues that do not award the full 6 points for a td to qbs. I dont see why not awarding the full 7 would be even remotely considered an issue.