Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Media making up the news. Again. (Tony Dungy)

In an era of "hot sports takes" and making up controversies to sell internet clicks or drive up ratings, here we have the media going after Tony Dungy of all people. For nothing really.

It must be a slow news day so lets make some news!@#!

:sleep:

Well....it would be good to hear his explanation. Hes deeply religous...so is he saying he wouldnt want Michael Sam because its actually Dungy's religous objection and hes saying it would be a distraction because of that......or is he saying he objects because he thinks the constant questions would actually be a distraction.

Guessing he had no problem with the black coach, superbowl distraction though..........funny how that works.

Do you have a link or something? I have no idea what you're talking about here :dunno:

In an interview with the Tampa Tribune published Sunday, the former coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts said he would have passed on Sam. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it,” Dungy said.

Of which people in the media went crazy over.

There were lots of coaches and GM's who felt that way. If Sam was 1st round pick talent, most people wouldn't mind the distraction. If you are a borderline NFL player then lots of people would pass because of the distractions no matter the "why". (i.e. Tebow). This is common sense and not newsworthy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/kaufman-provides-context-to-dungy-remarks/

Essentially, Dungy said he wouldn't have taken Michael Sam because he's not worth having to deal with the headaches involved.

As a 7th rounder, he's right. We haven't heard too much about Sam since the draft, but look for that to pick up once training camps start.

Fast forward one week.

It's the Tonie & Anthony show, live from the internet.

“It’s not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.’’

THATS what i want him to define. What? Someone going to catch ghey in the locker room?

And im a huge Tony Dungy guy......oddly enough his approach to how he motivated and deals with his players in a calm, non cursing manner is sort of a back of the mind way im trying to raise my kids.....

Its a non story, but if its for religous reasonings...thatll be pretty disappointing to hear.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/kaufman-provides-context-to-dungy-remarks/

Essentially, Dungy said he wouldn't have taken Michael Sam because he's not worth having to deal with the headaches involved.

Interesting.

On the one hand, it's hard to argue with what he said. The media spectacle will be a HUGE distraction for a guy who may not even make the team. Maybe you put up with a media circus for a guy like Johnny Manziel, who at least could hypothetically become a franchise QB and the face of your team. But not for a guy who isn't even likely to make a significant impact on the field.

That said, if you remove the media part of the issue and just say that his being gay is a distraction, then I could see how many would find that offensive. So when people are looking at Dungy's remarks I hope they keep in mind the media spectacle and how Sam was going to do a show for Oprah's network and all that.

If Sam just kept his head down and said he wanted no part of the media spectacle, or at least not until things had worked themselves out on the field, then I'd probably take issue with Dungy's comments. That doesn't seem to be the case though.

did you hear a media member dared to say Bill Belichick wants to win a title without Brady, before he retires. :o

HUGE news all over New England. Imagine the nerve? :mad:

Didn't this Look-at-me 'mo just win a lifetime achievement award at the ESPY's for his outstanding NFL playing career and then blubbered as he was patting himself on the back for how awesome he was?

What a tool.

This story is such a huge scandal that I had to learn about it here at FFT.

Ok Dungy issued this today:

I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam and I answered that I would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team. At the time of my interview, the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael’s first season had been announced.

I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.

I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.

I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.

I have been asked all of those questions several times in the last three months and have always answered them the same way—by saying that playing in the NFL is, and should be, about merit.

The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they’re good enough to play. That’s my opinion as a coach. But those were not the questions I was asked.

What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams.

I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.

I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.

I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field.

My sincere hope is that we will be able to focus on his play and not on his sexual orientation.

Dungy is a pretty classy guy......sounds like this interview was weeks ago.

In all honesty, you can blame a lot of sh1t for America slowly swirling down the shitter.

The Media is right there at the top. I am so focking sick of their bullsh1t

Didn't this Look-at-me 'mo just win a lifetime achievement award at the ESPY's for his outstanding NFL playing career and then blubbered as he was patting himself on the back for how awesome he was?

What a tool.

:thumbsup:

I hate it when people pat themselves on the back for how awesome they are even though they haven't really done anything.

ESPN is just focking despicable.

Ok Dungy issued this today:

I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam and I answered that I would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team. At the time of my interview, the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael’s first season had been announced.

I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.

I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.

I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.

I have been asked all of those questions several times in the last three months and have always answered them the same way—by saying that playing in the NFL is, and should be, about merit.

The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they’re good enough to play. That’s my opinion as a coach. But those were not the questions I was asked.

What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams.

I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.

I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.

I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field.

My sincere hope is that we will be able to focus on his play and not on his sexual orientation.

Dungy is a pretty classy guy......sounds like this interview was weeks ago.

So you're saying that Keith Olberman and all the media pundits this morning who went scorched earth today on Dungy took his words out of context, jumped the gun and pretty much just threw something at the wall to see what stuck before doing their due dilligence and asking for clarity first?

Par for the course. Report the news and give your hot sports take first, then figure out if its correct later.

Tony Dungy's opinion on something matters about as much to me as Kim Kardasian's does. Zip...

I wonder if they've made a ghey pron movie about Sam yet. Inside The NFL

Heard it on Howard this morning. Don't know about it being a media circus regarding his comments, but it is dickey even if there is a bit of a media circus. It was a media circus when Jackie Robinson started playing in the mlb, and when black coaches were going for nfl jobs, or when black players were trying to be qbs. I think Tony would say those distractions were worth it. When Tony could possibly be negatively effected..kick the can down the road I guess. The other coaches that had this feeling are in the same boat.

Heard it on Howard this morning. Don't know about it being a media circus regarding his comments, but it is dickey even if there is a bit of a media circus. It was a media circus when Jackie Robinson started playing in the mlb, and when black coaches were going for nfl jobs, or when black players were trying to be qbs. I think Tony would say those distractions were worth it. When Tony could possibly be negatively effected..kick the can down the road I guess. The other coaches that had this feeling are in the same boat.

Why do you think the media made such a huge deal of this from the begining? They knew somewhere down the line, close to training camp, that people were going to start talking and saying things that are politically incorrect. Dungy just happen to be the first. Next, it will be players. And the media will have a field day criticizing and demonizing anyone for daring to say they are uncomfortable or don't believe homosexuality is moral. The shut up and don't give us your opinion unless you want us to fawk you up police are on full alert and ready to go full Rodney King.

And I don't have a problem with ghey people. I love them. Sometimes I wish I was ghey so I could take bubble baths. I do have a problem with the PC police and the media telling me my opinion is wrong and I should keep it to myself if I know what's good for me. When an ex coach (not a current coach) can't even come out and say he wouldn't want the distractions of a player that might not even make the team, ghey or has two heads, there's something fawked up and fundamentally flawed with how we are handled.

Jackie Robinson? Really? Do you even know what Robinson went through? Sam is getting hundreds of death threats a day? Don't even say their names in the same sentence. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Why do you think the media made such a huge deal of this from the begining? They knew somewhere down the line, close to training camp, that people were going to start talking and saying things that are politically incorrect. Dungy just happen to be the first. Next, it will be players. And the media will have a field day criticizing and demonizing anyone for daring to say they are uncomfortable or don't believe homosexuality is moral. The shut up and don't give us your opinion unless you want us to fawk you up police are on full alert and ready to go full Rodney King.

And I don't have a problem with ghey people. I love them. Sometimes I wish I was ghey so I could take bubble baths. I do have a problem with the PC police and the media telling me my opinion is wrong and I should keep it to myself if I know what's good for me. When an ex coach (not a current coach) can't even come out and say he wouldn't want the distractions of a player that might not even make the team, ghey or has two heads, there's something fawked up and fundamentally flawed with how we are handled.

Jackie Robinson? Really? Do you even know what Robinson went through? Sam is getting hundreds of death threats a day? Don't even say their names in the same sentence. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Its a fine line. I do have a hard time feeling sorry for religous people who over the course of history oppressed virtually every form of human from women, to blacks to gheys that they didnt agree with.....and then get suddenly butt hurt when people tell them their opinion is wrong...

Religous folk have no problem enacting laws based on ONE EFFING RELIGIONS VIEWS......that everyone has to live by.......but call them out on it (not in this case obviously)...and they are "offended". Give me a break.

So to recap:

1. Tony Dungy says almost nothing.

2. A handful of clowns in the media respond with fake outrage.

3. Geeks get fake outraged about the fake outrage.

Its a fine line. I do have a hard time feeling sorry for religous people who over the course of history oppressed virtually every form of human from women, to blacks to gheys that they didnt agree with.....and then get suddenly butt hurt when people tell them their opinion is wrong...

Religous folk have no problem enacting laws based on ONE EFFING RELIGIONS VIEWS......that everyone has to live by.......but call them out on it (not in this case obviously)...and they are "offended". Give me a break.

So those of us who could care less about religon aren't allowed to have an opinion that's not the popular one of the day because or ancestors sucked?

So those of us who could care less about religon aren't allowed to have an opinion that's not the popular one of the day because or ancestors sucked?

No. You can absolutely have an opinion......but history of actions by christians doesnt exactly lend to a lot of sympathy when religous folk feel "offended" when they get blasted for their archaic views and voice their opinion especially when those views could possibly be viewed as discrimination.

As far as Dungy....its a little interesting...because hes usually had a history of being way out front on supporting certain "distracting" athletes.....but then has an issue with Sam. He was the same guy who was first to support Michael Vick, and Tim Tebow...so.....he has clarified his comments....but they are still peculiar.

Fake gay outrage

:thumbsup:

Comparing Jackie Robinson to Michael Sam is ridiculous. Not because of the "cause" each of them stand for, but because Jackie Robinson was a top 5 talent in the Negro league coming to MLB, where Michael Sam almost went undrafted and will be lucky to make the first round of cuts.

If Michael Sam was Jadeveon Clowney, then the comparison would make sense.

He's right. :dunno: If Sam was a sure fire starter it's one thing. Now you can't treat like him any other player without undue scrutiny.

I will add that Fisher was the best coach to take him since he is a flaming homo.

No. You can absolutely have an opinion......but history of actions by christians doesnt exactly lend to a lot of sympathy when religous folk feel "offended" when they get blasted for their archaic views and voice their opinion especially when those views could possibly be viewed as discrimination.

As far as Dungy....its a little interesting...because hes usually had a history of being way out front on supporting certain "distracting" athletes.....but then has an issue with Sam. He was the same guy who was first to support Michael Vick, and Tim Tebow...so.....he has clarified his comments....but they are still peculiar.

I am neither religous or offended. What I am is sick of those who do not want me to voice an opinion that differs than theirs.

Dungy is a football coach. A Super Bowl winning coach. He's not coaching, but he is a coach. To me, his view on Sam is based on risk/reward. Are the risks worth the reward? If you take emotion out of this decision, as most good coaches do, her thinks not. But that's not what he's supposed to think.

• Like 1

I'ld say the media made a big deal about it because it was a first, and there has been a lot of news related to other gay issues, mainly marriage equality. Maybe someone like Olberman is demonizing him, I haven't seen any media comments, but I think its fair on my or anyone else's part to call him dickey. Its fine for him to make his comments, and fine for people to say they don't agree. And you in turn should be able to say that's fine, but that's how I feel. I wasn't necessarily comparing him to Jackie Robinson, more it being a controversial first. Any input on the black coaches? or Qb's?

I don't think there was anything particularly offensive about Dungy's comments. He's just voicing the same calculus that very GM in the league went through, weighing the potential upside of Sam vs the potential media circus.

I don't really watch ESPN so I haven't heard any "outrage" over Dungy's remarks, I'd be shocked if anyone short of clowns like Olbermann really have much to say about it. I will have ESPN radio on during my drive home to see if it comes up.

Anti-gay types are such thin skinned crybabies. These people actively oppose equal rights for the mo's and that's fine, then cry when they take light criticism for their beliefs. Throw on another layer of skin you whiners. :cry:

I don't think there was anything particularly offensive about Dungy's comments. He's just voicing the same calculus that very GM in the league went through, weighing the potential upside of Sam vs the potential media circus.

I don't really watch ESPN so I haven't heard any "outrage" over Dungy's remarks, I'd be shocked if anyone short of clowns like Olbermann really have much to say about it. I will have ESPN radio on during my drive home to see if it comes up.

Anti-gay types are such thin skinned crybabies. These people actively oppose equal rights for the mo's and that's fine, then cry when they take light criticism for their beliefs. Throw on another layer of skin you whiners. :cry:

Couple things:

1. This is your third post in this thread whining that its not a story. You've posted almost as many times in it as anyone else. :lol:

B. If you read the thread title and the subsequent OP you'd see this thread is more of a story about how the media makes up news, takes old news (this statement was weeks old) and rehashes them out of time context, edits stories (notice the dot dot dot's in the quotes implying text was taken out), all to sensationalize things.

III. The Geek Club is a message board where we talk about current events. This "story" was the talk of sports radio today, was on the front page of Yahoo! etc. It wasn't just Keith Olberman but a grande number of others who were talking about it in the media and writing op-eds about it. Sorry if we posted about it instead of another poop thread.

4. To reiterate; This is just a prime example of how the media will take a quote, weeks old, out of context and CREATE controversy. Then the sport hot take pundits will run with it and go all "scorched earth" and try to rip somebody to shreds (in this case Dungy) just for internet clicks or help ratings. Then the sheeple lap it up with a spoon. It's not fake outrage to point this out when it happens.

• Like 1

what do you expect? seriously?

if a prominent football figure (Dungy) makes comments about a hot topic (Michael Sam being openly gay), its going to cause media people to talk. Why wouldn't it?

I have heard hardly any outrage over Dungys remarks except from listeners calling in. Some talking heads agree, some disagree but no one seems to be killing him. If anything they have been defending him saying his stance is that Sams skill and potential are not worth the headache of the issues he comes with. Where as a guy like Michael Vick, who Dungy openly helped, his talent was worth the effort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

honestly I don't care but i'll tell you one thing. Im sick of religious blow hards pushing their anti gay views on others. Your religion holds about as much water as your focking opinion, because thats exactly what it is. Gay people want the same legal rights as everyone else. They don't care what your religion says about homsexuality nor does anyone else except other people whose religions OPINIONS are the same as yours. Oh you mean gays shouldn't have the right to get married because the bible tells you homosexuality is wrong? Remember how your religion is just one of many? Maybe Michael Sam is buddhist or taoist.... i don't know what their views are on gays, just an example. Your religion is not the law and other people don't give a shiit about it. You're entitled to your opinion but thats all it is.

/rant