Sign in to follow this  
Mungwater

What don't you like about where you live?

I just got back from San Diego today; our office is in Del Mar, I stayed in Solana Beach. Beautiful weather and views, but the traffic made me want to scratch my eyes out. It took me more than 20 minutes to go two miles to the exit for my hotel, then driving through construction for another 10 minutes. :mad:

Then don't try and drive in and around Manhattan

I just got back from San Diego today; our office is in Del Mar, I stayed in Solana Beach. Beautiful weather and views, but the traffic made me want to scratch my eyes out. It took me more than 20 minutes to go two miles to the exit for my hotel, then driving through construction for another 10 minutes. :mad:

Oh yeah, that too! :mad: Even going to my appts 2 miles away is a hot mess in the am. I've never worked to where I had to commute far. After a very long time I made the mistake of going to my bank 20 miles away on 880 and kicked myself for getting on the freakway in the am. It used to be after 9:30 am or so it'd be clear until around 5:00 pm. Now you have between 1:00 pm and oh maybe 3:00 pm for it to be pretty clear, and that gap is closing fast too. Last year, 90,000 peeps moved in to the Bay Area. WTF? Get off our lawn!! :mad:

Having spent a good amount of time in CO, you quickly get used to the elevation. The lack of humidity is irritating though.

I don't mind the lack of humidity here, it makes going out in the summer easier. Thing that I don't like are all the transplants from CA and the northeast that have increased the cost of living to levels that the people who have lived here cannot afford.

I'll do my us home...

Nashville - all in all, a great town. But traffic is steadily getting absolutely unbearable. And being the blue dot in a sea of red is annoying. The state government is a focking disgrace. And Nashville has to have the most hipster dooshbags per capita in the south east.

Memphis- I actually love Memphis. Nice laid back vibe. It is my childhood home, and I still visit there when I can to see the family.

But... You live in a fringe of live able area surrounded by the African sea. Crime is appalling. And starting to spread to the good areas in a major way.

Local government is the biggest joke you can imagine. Race relations is a constant and never ending conversation.

My parents have lived there for over 30 years. My dad owns lots of real estate there. My brother owns a business with two locations there. All are talking about moving out. People are being robbed, Raped and killed in their neighborhoods in what were recently good areas at an alarming rate. It's sad.

I don't mind the lack of humidity here, it makes going out in the summer easier. Thing that I don't like are all the transplants from CA and the northeast that have increased the cost of living to levels that the people who have lived here cannot afford.

I spend most of time there in the winter, when the dry air means bloody noses and chapped lips. On the plus side, it also means light powder snow!

Sports-wise, I totally agree with you about Houston. Probably the biggest bandwagon fans Outside of California.The flip side to that is they think that every idiot from Texas Is an underrated Superstar. To this day, I will guarantee you You will hear Vince Young's name brought up on Sports Talk Radio.I will double down on that And bet that Colt McCoy's name Is still being brought up 4 The Dallas Cowboys.

As regards Colorado, specifically Denver, Statistically, The demographics have changed radically. There has been a 50% upsurge in Mexicans And God knows How many Hipsters.Those two populations Constitute about 90% of Denver.And the rents and housing prices Are through the freaking roof.I don't even recognize My own home town anymore.It's like Seattle a great place to visit, Looks pretty, Is very dynamic, But God damn you don't want to live here.

I spend most of time there in the winter, when the dry air means bloody noses and chapped lips. On the plus side, it also means light powder snow!

I was never a lotion guy Until I move back to Denver. I always thought that was a chick thing. And In Houston, You definitely didn't need it. But here, it's damn near a necessity.Honest-to-god the native Women Of Denver look 10 years older Than their equivalents in Houston And it's all about the lack of humidity.

I lived in CO for 10 yrs. Only complaint was transient work force. Unreliable and inconsistent.

Edit: though I was in a resort area.

Memphis- I actually love Memphis. Nice laid back vibe. It is my childhood home, and I still visit there when I can to see the family.

But... You live in a fringe of live able area surrounded by the African sea. Crime is appalling. And starting to spread to the good areas in a major way.

My parents have lived there for over 30 years. My dad owns lots of real estate there. My brother owns a business with two locations there. All are talking about moving out. People are being robbed, Raped and killed in their neighborhoods in what were recently good areas at an alarming rate. It's sad.

The biggest, growing negative of Sacramento is this too. According to neighborhood scout, 11% of cities in the U.S. have more criminal activity. You have to be wealthy to live in a shrinking but relatively peaceful area if it's within Sacramento county.

I just looked up Memphis though...Memphis is safer than 1% of the cities in the U.S. Damn.

I was never a lotion guy Until I move back to Denver. I always thought that was a chick thing. And In Houston, You definitely didn't need it. But here, it's damn near a necessity.Honest-to-god the native Women Of Denver look 10 years older Than their equivalents in Houston And it's all about the lack of humidity.

I absolutely disagree with the statement of the native colorado women looking 10 years older.

I absolutely disagree with the statement of the native colorado women looking 10 years older.

No he's right. Humidity is very good for the skin

At the risk of sounding ghey, I agree completely. When I get off the plane in Honolulu I immediately feel better, and all the people here look much younger. Granted, most of them are Asian.

No he's right. Humidity is very good for the skin

Keeping hydrated is even better. Everyone should be drinking a lot of water a day regardless of the climate.

Denver

Very little outside the weather and cost of living has gone through the roof. It snowed a foot in May and again in September. I'm moving to Cali or Florida within 6 weeks.

Orlando

Just how horribly the city is laid out. Other than that I love it, 40 minutes from the beach, right by all the theme parks and plenty of hot chicks.

montana

no sales tax, no cockroaches, no humidity, no speed limit, no open container laws, no groomed ski runs.

Orlando

Just how horribly the city is laid out. Other than that I love it, 40 minutes from the beach, right by all the theme parks and plenty of hot chicks.

What is the plus of living by the theme parks ?

Small town China- where to start?

My kids are being exposed to Communist Party of China indoctrination BS at school.

Government's human rights violations

Internet censorship

Local food sucks as does the lack of variety/options

Dangerous products

Dirty/noisy

Crowded

Lack of quality conversation

It seems everyone smokes and is an alcoholic

TV sucks

No A/C in summer except at home

No garden/yard for the kids

Ze Ar Gen - I don't know the English name but it's this nasty tasting root that finds it's way into a lot of dishes rendering them uneatable

• Like 1

They're called furries. Don't judge. :nono:

Small town China- where to start?

My kids are being exposed to Communist Party of China indoctrination BS at school.

Government's human rights violations

Internet censorship

Local food sucks as does the lack of variety/options

Dangerous products

Dirty/noisy

Crowded

Lack of quality conversation

It seems everyone smokes and is an alcoholic

TV sucks

No A/C in summer except at home

No garden/yard for the kids

Ze Ar Gen - I don't know the English name but it's this nasty tasting root that finds it's way into a lot of dishes rendering them uneatable

Many of those issues are present here too.

I couldn't do small town here man. If I didn't have a few places I could go to hang out with other foreigners, id go insane.

One of the downsides of legal pot is I swear to God half the people smell like cat urine. It's disgusting. Your waitress comes up and asks you what you want to eat can you immediately lose your appetite.I am all for legalization of pot, But I think it should come with requirement To purchase and use Febreze Frequently.

Oh yeah On Tuesday I was wearing shorts and sandals. By Wednesday morning We had 18 inches of drifting snow on the ground.

Ft. Worth

Extreme seasons.. The summer heat is brutal, but that alone isn't the problem. The problem is that from June to September, it doesn't rain, like ever... In winter, we very rarely get nice pleasant snow - we get ice, blanketing sheets of ice... Northerners mock us bcoz we can't drive in wintery conditions. It's not that we can't - it's that we don't get what you get. If we ever got just snow, be no problem.. But we never do, and unless you have a Zamboni, you're aren't getting around..... And for us golfers and boaters - the wind.. It's always freaking windy here.

That's a good point. I only have a driveway and some sidewalk in front of my house to shovel, but after our snow the other day just doing those was a bear. I do like the snow here but I don't like the shoveling.

This is what I was going to say. I hate shoveling. Only have to do it a couple times a year but it still sucks.

Really? If you are ever bored take the 5 minute ride to Universal or some place off I-Drive? Plus its a great place to take chicks.

That is my complaint with Texas as well. Maybe it is because I grew up in the most pristine part of the country, but it seems there is trash everywhere down here.

Maybe it is bacuse there are more people in my office building than in the entire State where you grew up. J/K - I actually agree with you.

Houston..

I have to say sports fans, they have to be some of the dumbest on the planet. Every free agent wants to sign here because they might have ties to the area. Texans going to the super bowl.. Astros World Series every year.. Someone asked me that the Cubs should trade Schwarber because Cubs don't need three catchers, to the Astros for a bullpen arm. The rockets championships aren't tainted because Michael was playing baseball.. JJ watt isn't gay

Just awful, can't stand that here

I agree and add traffic to the list.

Really? If you are ever bored take the 5 minute ride to Universal or some place off I-Drive? Plus its a great place to take chicks.

Honestly figured you would get bored of it quickly if it was in your backyard.

How many times can you ride the same ride ?

Also the tourists. Ugh

Honestly figured you would get bored of it quickly if it was in your backyard.

How many times can you ride the same ride ?

Also the tourists. Ugh

shots- i never got bored with the ski resorts in colorado, nor the wineries and restaurants here in sonoma/napa. perhaps he just reeeeaaalllllyyyy likes theme parks?